Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How to get a job as a student 11:14 - May 20 with 1475 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I'm in my mid 20s and almost at the end of the first year of a physiotherapy degree, having spent the last few years working in one of the emergency services.

I've applied for some part-time jobs in Colchester (mainly customer service/retail) in order to earn a bit of money over summer as I'd like to stay where I am living, but I've so far either been rejected or not heard anything back. (It's not like I don't even have any previous customer service/retail type experience; I have loads).

I remember seeing a post on here the other day suggesting that a lot of companies are looking for drones who won't think too much and will unquestionably just do what they're told.

So my question is, am I 'too qualified' to find such work? I'm also wondering if employers will be unlikely to consider me as they'll know that I'm not in it for the long term. If so then I'm not too sure what I could do; something like bar work wouldn't be an option as I have no previous experience.

It can't be that hard...

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

How to get a job as a student on 11:24 - May 20 with 1426 viewschicoazul

If you will do temp work and if you will do *anything* there will be a job for you. Try Prime Appointments in Witham and Cooper Lomaz in Colchester.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

How to get a job as a student on 11:26 - May 20 with 1421 viewsdickie

Anyone can do bar work, takes 5 minutes to learn how to pull a decent pint. Could you not just lie on your application forms to retail jobs? The phrase "I really see myself having a long term career in retail" might get you foot in the door
How to get a job as a student on 11:26 - May 20 with 1413 viewsSwansea_Blue

Are you wanting to go off in a different direction with your physio degree once you've finished? If so might be worth looking to a get some experience, even if voluntary to begin with. It might help when you start job hunting again later. Although realise that may not be a financially viable option.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

How to get a job as a student on 11:27 - May 20 with 1410 viewshoppy

You just have to keep knocking on doors, dropping your CV in, trying to find something.

Might be worth trying hotels - often take extra staff on for holiday cover and for events over the summer - particularly those that have a high number of weddings.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

How to get a job as a student on 11:45 - May 20 with 1351 viewsfooters

Happy to offer casual massage work. It will be hard though.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How to get a job as a student on 11:52 - May 20 with 1337 viewsSE1blue

How to get a job as a student on 11:24 - May 20 by chicoazul

If you will do temp work and if you will do *anything* there will be a job for you. Try Prime Appointments in Witham and Cooper Lomaz in Colchester.

Recruitment agencies will definitely find you work.

I used to take warehouse jobs for the summer. Requires zero training, no ‘you must pass this online qualification before you’re safe to...’ rubbish, no stupid uniform/outfit and hours are generally mon-fri 8-4.

Might be boring but a pair of decent headphones and plenty of red bull, it’s alright for 10 weeks. And there’s usually at least one attractive obtainable female in every warehouse...

Good luck.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

How to get a job as a student on 11:58 - May 20 with 1323 viewsLeoMuff

If your local area is like mine would imagine you could get work at the local hospital as An HCA tommorow, its ok pay for a student, flexible and is looked at as good experience for physio student by employers.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

How to get a job as a student on 12:32 - May 20 with 1273 viewsjontysnut

my son is a part-time physio student - he also works part-time for UPS loading vans. Mind you it's a very early start but the rest of the day's his own. There are opportunities for extra work as a drivers mate. They seem to be a decent employer - proper contract, sick pay, leave etc
Login to get fewer ads

How to get a job as a student on 12:33 - May 20 with 1265 viewsBiGDonnie

How to get a job as a student on 11:45 - May 20 by footers

Happy to offer casual massage work. It will be hard though.

I'm interested in this 'post'.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

How to get a job as a student on 12:39 - May 20 with 1246 viewsfooters

How to get a job as a student on 12:33 - May 20 by BiGDonnie

I'm interested in this 'post'.

Excellent. It's a two-man job really.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How to get a job as a student on 13:07 - May 20 with 1188 viewsThisIsMyUsername

How to get a job as a student on 11:24 - May 20 by chicoazul

Thanks. I will get in touch with them both and see what they might have.

How to get a job as a student on 13:10 - May 20 with 1182 viewsThisIsMyUsername

How to get a job as a student on 11:26 - May 20 by dickie

Anyone can do bar work, takes 5 minutes to learn how to pull a decent pint. Could you not just lie on your application forms to retail jobs? The phrase "I really see myself having a long term career in retail" might get you foot in the door

Yes but as far as I know unless you've done it before there's no point even applying as there will be so many applicants who have done it before.

I don't particularly want to lie, plus it would involve having a 'fake' CV which doesn't mention what I'm actually currently doing in life.

How to get a job as a student on 13:12 - May 20 with 1177 viewsThisIsMyUsername

How to get a job as a student on 11:26 - May 20 by Swansea_Blue

Are you wanting to go off in a different direction with your physio degree once you've finished? If so might be worth looking to a get some experience, even if voluntary to begin with. It might help when you start job hunting again later. Although realise that may not be a financially viable option.

Not at all - the plan will be to work as a physio.

I have been looking at some voluntary work just to fill a couple of hours of the week, but I'll probably need something paid too.

How to get a job as a student on 13:13 - May 20 with 1171 viewsThisIsMyUsername

How to get a job as a student on 11:58 - May 20 by LeoMuff

If your local area is like mine would imagine you could get work at the local hospital as An HCA tommorow, its ok pay for a student, flexible and is looked at as good experience for physio student by employers.

I'll check out jobs at the hospital.

How to get a job as a student on 13:14 - May 20 with 1168 viewscatch74

How to get a job as a student on 11:26 - May 20 by dickie

I love it when people say anyone can do bar work. There are so many highly intelligent people I’ve employed that just haven’t had the ability to take orders correctly, serve customers in turn, be warm and friendly, listen and take on board training (because they think it should be easy/they know it all) prioritise what to do when etc etc.
You might be right in that anyone can get a bar job, just very few that can do it well - another reason why pubs and bars are failing.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

How to get a job as a student on 13:46 - May 20 with 1135 viewsGeoffSentence

You are doing a physiotherapy degree, so no, you are not over-qualified*

*sorry, couldn't help myself.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How to get a job as a student on 13:48 - May 20 with 1130 viewshoppy

How to get a job as a student on 13:14 - May 20 by catch74

I love it when people say anyone can do bar work. There are so many highly intelligent people I’ve employed that just haven’t had the ability to take orders correctly, serve customers in turn, be warm and friendly, listen and take on board training (because they think it should be easy/they know it all) prioritise what to do when etc etc.
You might be right in that anyone can get a bar job, just very few that can do it well - another reason why pubs and bars are failing.

I was impressed with the bar staff you had when I popped in. Seemed to have got a grasp of the service side of things, and served with a smile.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

How to get a job as a student on 14:20 - May 20 with 1051 viewscatch74

How to get a job as a student on 13:48 - May 20 by hoppy

I was impressed with the bar staff you had when I popped in. Seemed to have got a grasp of the service side of things, and served with a smile.

Thanks Hoppy, hard being in the kitchen now to know how it is out there. Got a good f.o.h. manager though.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024