Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Poor bloke... 13:19 - May 20 with 8061 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Poor bloke... on 15:19 - May 20 with 543 viewsSpruceMoose

Poor bloke... on 15:16 - May 20 by J2BLUE

I see your point. What I meant was you and me probably agree that the death penalty is wrong in all cases (we now know we do agree on that). I was making the point that some people do truly evil things and you could argue they deserve to die. That doesn't change our blanket opposition to it though.

Admittedly not the smoothest point i've ever made but it was just that sometimes things that are wrong are wrong in all cases. That's my opinion

I don't really understand what that has to do with protesting people who espouse hateful views, sorry.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Poor bloke... on 15:20 - May 20 with 540 viewsJ2BLUE

Poor bloke... on 15:16 - May 20 by Luk38644

I think the point you're trying to make that no one can deny is that there is no place in politics for physical force and assault. It wasn't OK when it happened to Corbyn, Jo Cox, Miliband, Prescott or Farage.

As others have said, if a milkshake can be thrown on someone you disagree with, why can't acid? It shouldn't be accepted in any shape or form.

Well said. Exactly this.

It also emboldens the other side. If Farage can be assaulted why can't Soubry? If Rees-Mogg can be targeted at home, why can't Vince Cable?

None of them should have to face things like that. IMO.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Poor bloke... on 15:20 - May 20 with 535 viewsSwansea_Blue

Poor bloke... on 15:16 - May 20 by blueblueburleymcgrew

My point is more general in nature, chucking milk shakes or smashing eggs on people’s heads is not the way to conduct political debate whatever side of the fence you are on.

Sadly the term “dangerous liar and hypocrite” could be describing a fair cross section of politicians of all persuasions.

"chucking milk shakes or smashing eggs on people’s heads is not the way to conduct political debate " I agree, it's not. I'm not overly comfortable with it as it'll only encourage worse.

But what happens when debate is no longer an option? Debating is impossible when people blatantly lie, mislead and won't acknowledge the truth. Or when they break rules and there are no consequences? People then lose faith in the normal rules of society, and when that happens mockery is at least a harmless way of carrying on. And that's pretty much all this is; mockery.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Poor bloke... on 15:21 - May 20 with 528 viewsJ2BLUE

Poor bloke... on 15:19 - May 20 by SpruceMoose

I don't really understand what that has to do with protesting people who espouse hateful views, sorry.

Nothing is wrong with peaceful protest.

Truly impaired.

Poor bloke... on 15:21 - May 20 with 525 viewsBlueBadger

Poor bloke... on 14:49 - May 20 by giant_stow

He won't have a proper discussion - that's the trouble.

As evidenced by his use of the Grimboy manouvre here.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Poor bloke... on 15:22 - May 20 with 525 viewsSpruceMoose

Poor bloke... on 15:16 - May 20 by Luk38644

I think the point you're trying to make that no one can deny is that there is no place in politics for physical force and assault. It wasn't OK when it happened to Corbyn, Jo Cox, Miliband, Prescott or Farage.

As others have said, if a milkshake can be thrown on someone you disagree with, why can't acid? It shouldn't be accepted in any shape or form.

I appreciate what you are saying, but is there not a grey line around:

1) who is actually a politician and who is someone just spouting hateful rhetoric in public?

2) what happens when legitimate politicians are advocating for the abuse and harm of others? I feel like in those cases they have opened the gates to whatever repercussions they receive.

Advocate hate, don't be surprised when hate comes back at you.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Poor bloke... on 15:22 - May 20 with 518 viewsfooters

Poor bloke... on 15:20 - May 20 by J2BLUE

Well said. Exactly this.

It also emboldens the other side. If Farage can be assaulted why can't Soubry? If Rees-Mogg can be targeted at home, why can't Vince Cable?

Because the others you mention aren't racist?

Farage is not the same as other politicians. His views embolden some of the worst members of society with their hateful, narrow-minded worldview. He encourages, or hints at, violence on our streets. That should not be tolerated in British political discourse.

It isn't black-and-white.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Poor bloke... on 15:24 - May 20 with 498 viewsSpruceMoose

Well said. Exactly this.

Because Soubry and Cable aren't spouting hateful rhetoric and dogwhistling encouragement for the hatred and abuse of others. You just can't link the two.

The likes of Farage opened the door to hateful behaviour. They shouldn't be surprised when they now receive what is in reality minor pushback.
[Post edited 20 May 2019 15:24]

Login to get fewer ads

Poor bloke... on 15:24 - May 20 with 496 viewsJ2BLUE

Poor bloke... on 15:22 - May 20 by footers

Because the others you mention aren't racist?

Farage is not the same as other politicians. His views embolden some of the worst members of society with their hateful, narrow-minded worldview. He encourages, or hints at, violence on our streets. That should not be tolerated in British political discourse.

It isn't black-and-white.

I'm not suggesting that people like you are going to assault Soubry. Can you really say you would rule out one of Tommy Robinson/Farage's supporters targeting remain MPs in revenge attacks?

Truly impaired.

Poor bloke... on 15:26 - May 20 with 484 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

Poor bloke... on 15:20 - May 20 by Swansea_Blue

"chucking milk shakes or smashing eggs on people’s heads is not the way to conduct political debate " I agree, it's not. I'm not overly comfortable with it as it'll only encourage worse.

But what happens when debate is no longer an option? Debating is impossible when people blatantly lie, mislead and won't acknowledge the truth. Or when they break rules and there are no consequences? People then lose faith in the normal rules of society, and when that happens mockery is at least a harmless way of carrying on. And that's pretty much all this is; mockery.

Ha your second paragraph sounds like a description of the plight of the Labour Party over antisemitism. In which case I assume you have no problem in JC getting the milk shake treatment?
Poor bloke... on 15:26 - May 20 with 487 viewsJ2BLUE

Poor bloke... on 15:24 - May 20 by SpruceMoose

Because Soubry and Cable aren't spouting hateful rhetoric and dogwhistling encouragement for the hatred and abuse of others. You just can't link the two.

The likes of Farage opened the door to hateful behaviour. They shouldn't be surprised when they now receive what is in reality minor pushback.
[Post edited 20 May 2019 15:24]

You are an intelligent person opposes the values of the likes of Farage. You aren't who i'm talking about. Retaliation against the likes of Soubry would come from his supporters, not the likes of you.

I keep mentioning Soubry because we know she is facing threats and abuse. She should be able to go home without feeling threatened and vulnerable.

Truly impaired.

Poor bloke... on 15:27 - May 20 with 485 viewsBlueBadger

Well said. Exactly this.

Far right activists have been targeting people at home for years. And they're generally not slinging milkshakes, either.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Poor bloke... on 15:27 - May 20 with 485 viewsSpruceMoose

Poor bloke... on 15:24 - May 20 by J2BLUE

I'm not suggesting that people like you are going to assault Soubry. Can you really say you would rule out one of Tommy Robinson/Farage's supporters targeting remain MPs in revenge attacks?

Can you really say you would rule out one of Tommy Robinson/Farage's supporters targeting anyone who isn't like them anyway? They need no encouragement to hate people. They hate people everyday, people who have nothing to provoke them

Like it or not, these people fall back on violence and abuse time and time again throughout history. Sometimes, regrettably, you have to meet force with force.

Poor bloke... on 15:29 - May 20 with 469 viewsLuk38644

Poor bloke... on 15:22 - May 20 by SpruceMoose

I appreciate what you are saying, but is there not a grey line around:

1) who is actually a politician and who is someone just spouting hateful rhetoric in public?

2) what happens when legitimate politicians are advocating for the abuse and harm of others? I feel like in those cases they have opened the gates to whatever repercussions they receive.

Advocate hate, don't be surprised when hate comes back at you.

Ofc Farage is a politician, he's an MEP and the leader of a high-polling political party. If people disagree with his views and find what he says abhorrent, they should challenge him and his supporters, not just chuck something at him because it achieves absolutely nothing.

2) is an interesting point but surely is subjective? Someone more left-leaning will tend to see Farage as a hate-spewing racist, where as someone more right-leaning will probably think the same of Corbyn and some members of Momentum with the anti-semitism row.

I just think the best way to avoid any physical harm in politics is to stamp it out no matter who it's against or how minor. Once you open the door to throwing a drink, you open the door to much more extreme methods.
Poor bloke... on 15:29 - May 20 with 468 viewsfooters

Poor bloke... on 15:24 - May 20 by J2BLUE

They've already been trying to intimidate remain MPs. The worry here is allowing people like NF/TR to have an equal perception in the public eye. People should be seen to be rejecting their nasty brand of racist gutter politics, whether that be through debate or milkshakes.

In fact, there's an idea. How about Nige takes a stroll down Cable Street.
[Post edited 20 May 2019 15:29]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Poor bloke... on 15:29 - May 20 with 466 viewsSpruceMoose

Poor bloke... on 15:26 - May 20 by J2BLUE

You are an intelligent person opposes the values of the likes of Farage. You aren't who i'm talking about. Retaliation against the likes of Soubry would come from his supporters, not the likes of you.

I keep mentioning Soubry because we know she is facing threats and abuse. She should be able to go home without feeling threatened and vulnerable.

And you're an intelligent person. How does letting Farage and Robinson go about their hateful business throughout Britains towns and cities unmeddled with and unchallenged protect the likes of Soubry?

They're a cancer on our country mate. They need to be stamped out.

Poor bloke... on 15:29 - May 20 with 464 viewsLuk38644

Poor bloke... on 15:27 - May 20 by BlueBadger

Far right activists have been targeting people at home for years. And they're generally not slinging milkshakes, either.

Two wrongs don't make a right.
Poor bloke... on 15:31 - May 20 with 452 viewsJ2BLUE

Poor bloke... on 15:29 - May 20 by SpruceMoose

And you're an intelligent person. How does letting Farage and Robinson go about their hateful business throughout Britains towns and cities unmeddled with and unchallenged protect the likes of Soubry?

They're a cancer on our country mate. They need to be stamped out.

Fair question. How does throwing a milkshake help stamp it out?

Truly impaired.

Poor bloke... on 15:33 - May 20 with 446 viewsgiant_stow

Just a point of fact question: is throwing a milkshake over someone assault?

There seems to be a lot of conflating of this despicable act with more clear cut acts of violence.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Poor bloke... on 15:33 - May 20 with 443 viewsSpruceMoose

Poor bloke... on 15:31 - May 20 by J2BLUE

We are talking about it aren't we? They are making it difficult for the likes of Farage to get his words out there. They are disrupting whatever political plan these 'politicians' have put in place. It is contributing, in a small way, in preventing a hateful message reach ears.

Poor bloke... on 15:34 - May 20 with 439 viewsSpruceMoose

Poor bloke... on 15:29 - May 20 by Luk38644

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Throwing a milkshake is a different scale of wrong than driving a car into protesters and murdering one.

Different country, same hateful worldview.

Poor bloke... on 15:35 - May 20 with 435 viewsSpruceMoose

Poor bloke... on 15:33 - May 20 by giant_stow

Just a point of fact question: is throwing a milkshake over someone assault?

There seems to be a lot of conflating of this despicable act with more clear cut acts of violence.

Maybe they just slipped?

Poor bloke... on 15:35 - May 20 with 435 viewsgiant_stow

Poor bloke... on 15:31 - May 20 by J2BLUE

mockery is a powerful tool - hard to rant about Britain ruling the waves covered in milkshake.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Poor bloke... on 15:35 - May 20 with 433 viewsJ2BLUE

Poor bloke... on 15:34 - May 20 by SpruceMoose

Throwing a milkshake is a different scale of wrong than driving a car into protesters and murdering one.

Different country, same hateful worldview.

I didn't know what that was about when you first mentioned it in an earlier post. What happened?

Truly impaired.

Poor bloke... on 15:37 - May 20 with 424 viewsgiant_stow

Poor bloke... on 15:35 - May 20 by SpruceMoose

Maybe they just slipped?

understandable in all the excitement of a star turn showing up in your city.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024