Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did anyone here... 16:26 - May 20 with 12445 viewschicoazul

grow up in a rich family?

Talking 4 holidays a year including skiing, every Sunday at Le Talbooth, privately educated type thing.

What was it like?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Did anyone here... on 17:05 - May 20 with 1990 viewschicoazul

Did anyone here... on 17:02 - May 20 by giant_stow

Never that posh fella! I was sent to a comprehensive school (which my mum deeply regrets, but she was sticking to principals).

We did have a cottage in norfolk though - hence been a canaries fan and not a gooner. My guilty secret.

However, they both worked for the beeb and I had a nanny.

Go on, stick it to me!

A Nanny! Now THAT is the kind of thing I am on about. Tell us more about Nanny.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Did anyone here... on 17:05 - May 20 with 1990 viewsfooters

Never that posh fella! I was sent to a comprehensive school (which my mum deeply regrets, but she was sticking to principals).

We did have a cottage in norfolk though - hence been a canaries fan and not a gooner. My guilty secret.

Go on, stick it to me!

You were a cottager?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Did anyone here... on 17:06 - May 20 with 1983 viewsbluelagos

Go on, stick it to me!

You had a nanny? Serious?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Did anyone here... on 17:10 - May 20 with 1973 viewsJ2BLUE

Did anyone here... on 16:34 - May 20 by chicoazul

I'm talking full on rich. 2 holidays for 2 weeks somewhere, skiing, and a British one chucked in for good measure, usually Centre Parcs because money can';t buy taste. Big detached house, private education, Dad never home, Mum never out, dinner parties, friends with Sheepshanks. That kind of rich.

That sounds horrific.

I grew up middle class in a middle class wider family. Holidays were local though because I have an autistic brother who didn’t want to go on a plane. We went somewhere decent in this country each year and to Pontins for 3-4 long weekends each year to meet up with family. From an early age I was aware that, in general terms, there was an economic divide at school between those who walked home out of the main gates and in that direction and those of us who walked home across the field and in that direction.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Did anyone here... on 17:13 - May 20 with 1966 viewschicoazul

Did anyone here... on 17:10 - May 20 by J2BLUE

That sounds horrific.

I grew up middle class in a middle class wider family. Holidays were local though because I have an autistic brother who didn’t want to go on a plane. We went somewhere decent in this country each year and to Pontins for 3-4 long weekends each year to meet up with family. From an early age I was aware that, in general terms, there was an economic divide at school between those who walked home out of the main gates and in that direction and those of us who walked home across the field and in that direction.

Horrific??? That's some full on working class bona fides right there. Sounds idyllic to me.

Did anyone here... on 17:14 - May 20 with 1960 viewsgiant_stow

Did anyone here... on 17:06 - May 20 by bluelagos

You had a nanny? Serious?

yeah I had a nanny!! Sowhat?!!

Mum and Dad both worked long hours, so me and my brother were picked up from school and looked after by the same woman for 12 years - she's like a second mother to me, but she prefers to think of herself as an older sister these days!

Its really not as posh as it sounds - she didn't have a silly uniform and taught us northern!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Did anyone here... on 17:16 - May 20 with 1944 viewsJ2BLUE

Did anyone here... on 17:13 - May 20 by chicoazul

Horrific??? That's some full on working class bona fides right there. Sounds idyllic to me.

Honestly, I’m a bit of a middle class snob but I wouldn’t like to be upper class. Proper middle class is the sweet spot.

Truly impaired.

Did anyone here... on 17:17 - May 20 with 1933 viewsgiant_stow

Did anyone here... on 17:05 - May 20 by footers

You were a cottager?

Yes - i'm one of those.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Did anyone here... on 17:18 - May 20 with 1929 viewsSwansea_Blue

Did anyone here... on 17:14 - May 20 by giant_stow

yeah I had a nanny!! Sowhat?!!

Mum and Dad both worked long hours, so me and my brother were picked up from school and looked after by the same woman for 12 years - she's like a second mother to me, but she prefers to think of herself as an older sister these days!

Its really not as posh as it sounds - she didn't have a silly uniform and taught us northern!

She probably is your older sister!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Did anyone here... on 17:18 - May 20 with 1928 viewssparks

Did anyone here... on 16:35 - May 20 by chicoazul

I bet you grew up in a very well to do household.
[Post edited 20 May 2019 16:35]

We were pretty normal.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Did anyone here... on 17:19 - May 20 with 1928 viewshomer_123

Define rich?

For example - I would define my upbringing as working class. Both my M&D worked, we weren't poor but cloths were cut at times (lots of clothe recycling/ upcycling as they call it now), other times we had a holiday etc.

However, if you ask my M&D, we were 'rich' in comparison to their childhood, the two being almost non-comparable.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Did anyone here... on 17:19 - May 20 with 1921 viewsSwansea_Blue

Did anyone here... on 17:18 - May 20 by sparks

We were pretty normal.

What changed?

Did anyone here... on 17:19 - May 20 with 1917 viewsgiant_stow

Did anyone here... on 17:18 - May 20 by Swansea_Blue

She probably is your older sister!

brute!

Did anyone here... on 17:20 - May 20 with 1915 viewsfooters

Did anyone here... on 17:16 - May 20 by J2BLUE

Honestly, I’m a bit of a middle class snob but I wouldn’t like to be upper class. Proper middle class is the sweet spot.

Pick yerself out of this line-up, J2...

https://www.indy100.com/article/these-are-the-seven-social-classes-of-britain--Z

Did anyone here... on 17:23 - May 20 with 1894 viewsJ2BLUE

Did anyone here... on 17:20 - May 20 by footers

Pick yerself out of this line-up, J2...

https://www.indy100.com/article/these-are-the-seven-social-classes-of-britain--Z

Technical middle class.

Truly impaired.

Did anyone here... on 17:23 - May 20 with 1894 viewsSwansea_Blue

Did anyone here... on 17:19 - May 20 by giant_stow

brute!

The only point I can see of having a nanny is if they did wear the uniform

Did anyone here... on 17:25 - May 20 with 1884 viewslinhdi

Did anyone here... on 16:32 - May 20 by BlueBadger

I wouldn't say we had any money, but my parents would never let me watch ITV.

Sounds familiar! My mum was a bit of a Hyacinth Bucket.

I used to live summer holidays with the grandparents, and it never bothered me that they were council houses, no fridge, outdoor loo... Getting Corona lemonade, spending hours in the garden with my cousins, and the odd ice cream - that was as near paradise as I needed!
Did anyone here... on 17:58 - May 20 with 1825 viewsTractorWood

Nah. Mid Suffolk village. Was a working class village when I was younger but it's very posh now through passive gentrification and land grabing. State schools all the way.

Went skiing with the school a few times but that was just to get me away for a week and you could pay in about 5 instalments and we always got the bus to the Alps, which is the least middle class way to go skiing. I think skiing was a very posh thing 20 years ago but I think it's pretty main stream now.

Public school will always be the measure of a posh upbringing.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Did anyone here... on 18:04 - May 20 with 1813 viewsfooters

Did anyone here... on 17:23 - May 20 by J2BLUE

Technical middle class.

You have low social and cultural capital? Time to get off TWTD and into the arts, buh! Just watch a Vertov film every week and you'll soon race up the pecking order :)

Where is Pecker, btw?

Did anyone here... on 19:47 - May 20 with 1734 viewsflimflam

I rocked about in Dunlop Green Flash although they are trendy now and North of 40 rubs!!

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Did anyone here... on 20:20 - May 20 with 1710 viewsChurchman

Nope, but my dad had a decent job, owned his house, well a chunk of it (Ipswich building society owned the rest) and car and we had a holiday once a year. I was lucky.
Did anyone here... on 20:31 - May 20 with 1685 viewsJ2BLUE

Did anyone here... on 18:04 - May 20 by footers

You have low social and cultural capital? Time to get off TWTD and into the arts, buh! Just watch a Vertov film every week and you'll soon race up the pecking order :)

Where is Pecker, btw?

I have cultural capital IMO, but marked myself down on social.

Perhaps slightly harshly.

Truly impaired.

Did anyone here... on 20:52 - May 20 with 1658 viewsblueislander

Did anyone here... on 20:31 - May 20 by J2BLUE

I have cultural capital IMO, but marked myself down on social.

Perhaps slightly harshly.

Very middle class upbringing for me. Father worked for Ipswich Town Council (white collar) Mother didn’t work till my brother and I were at Northgate.
Did anyone here... on 20:55 - May 20 with 1654 viewsFtnfwest

Good grief no, still only manage one holiday a year for a week and maybe a long weekend on the north Norfolk coast (this weekend as it happens!). Probably went out for a meal once a year in the 70s.
Did anyone here... on 21:29 - May 20 with 1606 viewsIpswichKnight

Very middle class here.

Private school education, grew up in South East London/North West Kent border. Both my parents worked in the NHS. Parents did buy a weekend house in Suffolk after I left home. They sold that and the house I grew up in for a huge place in Woodbridge to retire too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024