Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Graham Potter new Brighton manager... 16:33 - May 20 with 4252 viewsMrTown

People’s opinion?

Strange one for me. Can see him struggling, Oestersunds manager and 1 season in the Championship. Only won 2 more games than they lost last season.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:13 - May 20 with 1045 viewsIllinoisblue

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 19:16 - May 20 by Swansea_Blue

The owner(s) imo. It all comes down to their decisions. They either have the final say on important decisions or are responsible for putting in place the teams/governing personnel who do. Get that wrong and it unravels. Us & Swansea have suffered under new owners.

That’s what happened here and at Swansea. Not sure what happened at Charlton. It can’t simply be down to relegation as other teams suffer that but bounce back. But if they keep making bad decisions (Manager appointments & player recruitment mainly) they’re knackered.

I know that’s a broad and simplistic view, but I’m convinced it’s the key.
[Post edited 20 May 2019 19:18]

well, certainly with us and Charlton we got relegated about a decade too soon and didn't have the safety net of bulging parachute payments. As for making bad decisions, isn't it more a case of making decisions then letting Lady Luck do her thing? I mean, Hurst turned out to be a complete disaster for us but when we got him he ticked all the right boxes. If we'd won at Rotherham away and Norwich at home as we should have then maybe history would have turned out very differently.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:23 - May 20 with 1030 viewsSwansea_Blue

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:13 - May 20 by Illinoisblue

well, certainly with us and Charlton we got relegated about a decade too soon and didn't have the safety net of bulging parachute payments. As for making bad decisions, isn't it more a case of making decisions then letting Lady Luck do her thing? I mean, Hurst turned out to be a complete disaster for us but when we got him he ticked all the right boxes. If we'd won at Rotherham away and Norwich at home as we should have then maybe history would have turned out very differently.

Hurst was a bad decision, as was hanging on to Mick to long, as was not supporting him more when we needed it, as was appointing PJ and Keane. When you have so many bad decisions I put it down to incompetence. Luck doesn’t come into it. I genuinely think making the right calls is more important than the money, up to a point. Mick proved that last year by doing far better with less spent on players - he made the right calls on Waghorn and Garner. Marcus continually makes the wrong calls.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:31 - May 20 with 1022 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 16:37 - May 20 by chicoazul

Modern technocrat who makes his players do ballet takes over from Chris Hughton. This one is tailor-made for the CWYWF crowd.

Yep, although fortunately he’s not one of those dodgy foreign types

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:38 - May 20 with 1015 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 16:42 - May 20 by MrTown

If he was rebuilding Swansea, a relegated team with mass earners and serious talent at this level James/Celina/Dyer/Routledge/McBurnie/Bony/Fer and they only finished 10th, winning 18 league, losing 17.

God help him at Brighton next year. Screams relegation to me.

Fer, Routledge and Dyer started 55 games between them, mainly because they’re a combined 94 years old. Celina was brought to the club by Potter and was hardly an accomplished Championship player as we should be well aware, given he often struggled to get in our side. McBurnie and James have come on leaps and bounds under him - the former had never scored a League goal for Swansea before this season and the latter hadn’t made a league appearance and failed to get in the Shrewsbury side in League One last year. Oh, and Bony barely played has been out on loan

But yeah, big names and all that

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:45 - May 20 with 1004 viewshampstead_blue

I'd stay with Hughton.

He's done a cracking job, got them up, kept them up....be careful what you wish you.

Brighton maybe need to be more stable in the Prem before they start trying new stuff.....look what happened to us!!!!!

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:46 - May 20 with 1000 viewsMrTown

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:38 - May 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Fer, Routledge and Dyer started 55 games between them, mainly because they’re a combined 94 years old. Celina was brought to the club by Potter and was hardly an accomplished Championship player as we should be well aware, given he often struggled to get in our side. McBurnie and James have come on leaps and bounds under him - the former had never scored a League goal for Swansea before this season and the latter hadn’t made a league appearance and failed to get in the Shrewsbury side in League One last year. Oh, and Bony barely played has been out on loan

I don't understand your point. He still had v good talent for Championship level at his disposal, add Van Der Hoorn, Naughton, CCV to that as well.

Hardly pulled up trees last season.

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:58 - May 20 with 993 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:46 - May 20 by MrTown

I don't understand your point. He still had v good talent for Championship level at his disposal, add Van Der Hoorn, Naughton, CCV to that as well.

My point is that you’ve confused names you recognise with being a good squad at Championship level, when the majority of those players are over the hill. There’s a reason a lot of them didn’t play much - and those that you name that did are generally players that Potter either signed and/or brought along considerably this season

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 21:02 - May 20 with 988 viewsMrTown

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:58 - May 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

My point is that you’ve confused names you recognise with being a good squad at Championship level, when the majority of those players are over the hill. There’s a reason a lot of them didn’t play much - and those that you name that did are generally players that Potter either signed and/or brought along considerably this season

Whether I recognise their names or not is irrelevant, I’ve seen them play. A v good squad. Basically won the same amount of games as he lost.

Hasn’t pulled up trees.

Login to get fewer ads

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 21:03 - May 20 with 987 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 21:02 - May 20 by MrTown

Whether I recognise their names or not is irrelevant, I’ve seen them play. A v good squad. Basically won the same amount of games as he lost.

Hasn’t pulled up trees.

A very good squad

In 2016

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 21:05 - May 20 with 982 viewsIllinoisblue

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:23 - May 20 by Swansea_Blue

Hurst was a bad decision, as was hanging on to Mick to long, as was not supporting him more when we needed it, as was appointing PJ and Keane. When you have so many bad decisions I put it down to incompetence. Luck doesn’t come into it. I genuinely think making the right calls is more important than the money, up to a point. Mick proved that last year by doing far better with less spent on players - he made the right calls on Waghorn and Garner. Marcus continually makes the wrong calls.

yes, there is a general pattern of incompetence at the club, from Evans down, but I strongly believe luck plays a part. Appointing Keane was at the time the right thing to. Evans throwing some cash around, get a big name in (a big name who'd won promotion with Sunderland), generate some buzz. All good in theory. Jewell... can't and won't defend that charlatan. McCarthy is the one good appointment Evans has made. Jury very much out on Lambert.

Clearly with any combination of Evans/Clegg/Milne in charge there was always going to be a gaping black hole labeled "football knowledge". We are paying the price for that and I'm not convinced O'Neill is suddenly going to right the ship either.

62 - 78 - 81

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 21:06 - May 20 with 978 viewsIllinoisblue

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 19:10 - May 20 by Nazemariner

I think Brighton will be a good bet for relegation no matter who they had appointed.

agreed. overly reliant on Murray's goals.

62 - 78 - 81

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 22:15 - May 20 with 940 viewsMrTown

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 21:03 - May 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

A very good squad

In 2016

No no, I was at the game at end of the season to watch them play Town.

Were you there?

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 23:13 - May 20 with 930 viewsBrightonEye

A bit meh for many of our fans, it seems. GP's main handicap is looking a bit odd and being called Graham Potter, rather than Carlos Forrenciappi. (Or Gustavo Domingo Poyet).

A young (ish) mildly successful but inexperienced British manager, coming up from the league below? What could possibly go wrong? (Time for a word with Paul Hurst).

But if all else fails, he'll do well with those vegan macrobiotic ballet classes when the Brighton Festival swings round next May.
Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 23:47 - May 20 with 922 viewsJohnny_Boy

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:45 - May 20 by hampstead_blue

I'd stay with Hughton.

He's done a cracking job, got them up, kept them up....be careful what you wish you.

Brighton maybe need to be more stable in the Prem before they start trying new stuff.....look what happened to us!!!!!

Spent 70m on players, some of those barely featured at all, totally regressed from the previous campaign, ultimately only stayed up this season because Cardiff's form tailed off at the very end.
Hughton & Brighton were more than a little fortunate this season.

There's a genuine feeling next year's promoted teams won't be cannon-fodder like Fulham, Hudds or Cardiff were.

The Brighton owner could clearly see warning signs & acted now - because as I saw it, B&HA, with Hughton at the helm would have taken them down next year. I'm fairly sure of that.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 8:35]
Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 00:17 - May 21 with 907 viewsSwansea_Blue

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 21:05 - May 20 by Illinoisblue

yes, there is a general pattern of incompetence at the club, from Evans down, but I strongly believe luck plays a part. Appointing Keane was at the time the right thing to. Evans throwing some cash around, get a big name in (a big name who'd won promotion with Sunderland), generate some buzz. All good in theory. Jewell... can't and won't defend that charlatan. McCarthy is the one good appointment Evans has made. Jury very much out on Lambert.

Clearly with any combination of Evans/Clegg/Milne in charge there was always going to be a gaping black hole labeled "football knowledge". We are paying the price for that and I'm not convinced O'Neill is suddenly going to right the ship either.

I’m not talking about theory, but rather what actually happened. You can only judge on results and not what some people thought might be good at the time. I thought Keane was a bad fit, I wasn’t impressed with Hurst either. But those opinions count for nothing. Bottom line is did we get it right or not, and mostly it’s been self-evidently not.

You could compare with other clubs who have been at a similar level to us lately, like Watford. They got it right. Bolton got it wrong, etc. Some have owners who know what they are doing and therefore get results, and some don’t. I believe we’re in the latter category and luck, generally, has little to do with it.

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 00:21 - May 21 with 905 viewsSwansea_Blue

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:38 - May 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You’re spot on and I see a lot of them. Fer’s quality but missed a large part of the season with injury. Neither Routledge or Dyer put in a performance before about Christmas. It was an inexperienced side (the stats are out their somewhere to prove that).

Also, he completely changed the style and brought back a more posession based approach the fans wanted. That had completely gone (years ago). No mean feat with a bunch of players many who’m hadn’t played in the Championship before.

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 06:16 - May 21 with 871 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 22:15 - May 20 by MrTown

No no, I was at the game at end of the season to watch them play Town.

Were you there?

Were you? If you were you would have noticed that only 3 of the players you listed originally played in that game, so I’m assuming not

Though it does rather illustrate the point that he developed a very good side there across the season, from the ageing, declining bunch of recognisable names that he inherited, doesn’t it?
[Post edited 21 May 2019 6:23]

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 06:43 - May 21 with 864 viewsMrTown

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 06:16 - May 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Were you? If you were you would have noticed that only 3 of the players you listed originally played in that game, so I’m assuming not

Though it does rather illustrate the point that he developed a very good side there across the season, from the ageing, declining bunch of recognisable names that he inherited, doesn’t it?
[Post edited 21 May 2019 6:23]

Of course I was there, ST holder. Saw how many talented footballers they had. Should have finished top 6. Underachieved.

Presume you weren’t there by your oblivion to answer the question. No shock there, probably been 3 games all season

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 06:59 - May 21 with 852 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 06:43 - May 21 by MrTown

Of course I was there, ST holder. Saw how many talented footballers they had. Should have finished top 6. Underachieved.

Presume you weren’t there by your oblivion to answer the question. No shock there, probably been 3 games all season

You’re wrong - although I will happily admit to only having seen Swansea on 3 occasions. Not sure what the number of Ipswich games attended has to do with the ability to judge Swansea anyway

‘Oblivion to answer the question’ - you what?! 😂 I’d forgotten how funny you get when someone disagrees with you

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 07:55 - May 21 with 817 viewsMrTown

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 06:59 - May 21 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

You’re wrong - although I will happily admit to only having seen Swansea on 3 occasions. Not sure what the number of Ipswich games attended has to do with the ability to judge Swansea anyway

‘Oblivion to answer the question’ - you what?! 😂 I’d forgotten how funny you get when someone disagrees with you

*oblivious is what I was meant to type.

3 times?!!! That’s more than you’ve seen Ipswich

Maybe you’re a Swansea fan, maybe that’s why you’ve got the hump.

No problem with someone disagreeing, only time will tell the outcome. Period.

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 08:14 - May 21 with 805 viewsitfcjoe

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:46 - May 20 by MrTown

He really didn't, Swansea cashed in on anyone they could at every point in the season.

I posted about it at the time, but most of that squad were U23 players with next to no first team experience at this level - it's testament to the job he did that he could stop the slide whilst all that was happening.

Swansea fans were gutted, you won't find any who think he didn't do a very good job last year with all that was going on there.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 08:16 - May 21 with 799 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 07:55 - May 21 by MrTown

*oblivious is what I was meant to type.

3 times?!!! That’s more than you’ve seen Ipswich

Maybe you’re a Swansea fan, maybe that’s why you’ve got the hump.

No problem with someone disagreeing, only time will tell the outcome. Period.

Wrong again, but keep clinging to that irrelevant non-point if you wish 🙂
[Post edited 21 May 2019 8:17]

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 08:17 - May 21 with 797 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 08:14 - May 21 by itfcjoe

He really didn't, Swansea cashed in on anyone they could at every point in the season.

I posted about it at the time, but most of that squad were U23 players with next to no first team experience at this level - it's testament to the job he did that he could stop the slide whilst all that was happening.

Swansea fans were gutted, you won't find any who think he didn't do a very good job last year with all that was going on there.

I don’t know why you’re mentioning what Swansea fans think, MrTown has an Ipswich season ticket don’t you know

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 08:17 - May 21 with 795 viewsSomethingBlue

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 16:44 - May 20 by MrTown

I’m not slaying him for taking the job. But he didn’t pull up trees at Swansea. Had massive earners and talent at the club last year.

People who know Swansea well would tell you they are gutted he is off. Did a fine job changing the entire feel of the place in very tough circumstances.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 08:19 - May 21 with 787 viewschicoazul

Graham Potter new Brighton manager... on 20:31 - May 20 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yep, although fortunately he’s not one of those dodgy foreign types

Learnt his trade abroad though!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024