Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Huws 17:39 - May 20 with 4305 viewscaptainfantastic

Anyone know how long he is contracted for? And what his injury status is?

Poll: player of the season so far?

Huws on 11:40 - May 21 with 842 viewsHerbivore

Huws on 11:34 - May 21 by SouperJim

Perhaps at times, but I think the statistics don't tell the full story on this occasion. He had a significant influence in most of the games he played in and was often a real threat. I think there is every reason to believe there is more to come, particularly if the team overall play better.

He's certainly a million miles away from other flatterers we've had in recent years (Grant Ward and before him Lee Martin spring to mind).

What's his significant influence been though? We won two of the nineteen games he played in. His role is to make things happen in the final third and he managed just one assist and no goals. I don't recall him carving out lots of chances for others either. He looks busy and wants the ball but his end product has been largely poor. I'm hopeful he'll be an asset next season but I don't really get the hero worship from some based on his performances to date.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 11:41]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Huws on 11:49 - May 21 with 817 viewsSouperJim

Huws on 11:40 - May 21 by Herbivore

What's his significant influence been though? We won two of the nineteen games he played in. His role is to make things happen in the final third and he managed just one assist and no goals. I don't recall him carving out lots of chances for others either. He looks busy and wants the ball but his end product has been largely poor. I'm hopeful he'll be an asset next season but I don't really get the hero worship from some based on his performances to date.

I think it's asking a lot to expect him to do it single handed in the worst Ipswich side in living memory.

We could probably debate this until the cows come home, it's hard to quantify but I think he didn't pick up the goals and assists his performances deserved. Story of our season really. As is often said about attacking players, it's when they're not getting in goal scoring positions and/or not playing those killer passes for others that you worry. If Judge continues to play as he has done in most games, the goals and assists will surely come.

Fans are excited about him because they can see the potential threat he carries, if and when the team around him start to improve also.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Huws on 11:53 - May 21 with 805 viewsHerbivore

Huws on 11:49 - May 21 by SouperJim

I think it's asking a lot to expect him to do it single handed in the worst Ipswich side in living memory.

We could probably debate this until the cows come home, it's hard to quantify but I think he didn't pick up the goals and assists his performances deserved. Story of our season really. As is often said about attacking players, it's when they're not getting in goal scoring positions and/or not playing those killer passes for others that you worry. If Judge continues to play as he has done in most games, the goals and assists will surely come.

Fans are excited about him because they can see the potential threat he carries, if and when the team around him start to improve also.

It's a cop out to simply point the finger at his teammates imo. Those same players managed just as many wins in the half a season we didn't have Judge as we managed in the half a season we did have him. If he's really that much better than everyone else I'd expect a bit more from him than we've seen. I also think that if he'd torn it up here the way some fans make out that he has, he wouldn't be playing here next season.

Huws on 12:11 - May 21 with 789 viewsSouperJim

Huws on 11:53 - May 21 by Herbivore

It's a cop out to simply point the finger at his teammates imo. Those same players managed just as many wins in the half a season we didn't have Judge as we managed in the half a season we did have him. If he's really that much better than everyone else I'd expect a bit more from him than we've seen. I also think that if he'd torn it up here the way some fans make out that he has, he wouldn't be playing here next season.

Why is a cop out? Very very few players at our level have the quality to win games on their own. It's a team game.

Judge himself cited playing regularly, somewhere he felt valued and where his family were happy were his primary reasons for signing for us. I think you can take that at face value, if money was his prime motive he would have found himself at least the bench at a championship club fairly easily. We were fortunate that we could pick him up when we did and then sell the club to him despite our relegation.

Huws on 12:14 - May 21 with 780 viewsHerbivore

Huws on 12:11 - May 21 by SouperJim

Why is a cop out? Very very few players at our level have the quality to win games on their own. It's a team game.

Judge himself cited playing regularly, somewhere he felt valued and where his family were happy were his primary reasons for signing for us. I think you can take that at face value, if money was his prime motive he would have found himself at least the bench at a championship club fairly easily. We were fortunate that we could pick him up when we did and then sell the club to him despite our relegation.

It is a team game, it's arguable that he significantly improved our team based on the available evidence. I'd say Lankester had more of an impact in about half the number of games.

Huws on 12:21 - May 21 with 777 viewsSouperJim

Huws on 12:14 - May 21 by Herbivore

It is a team game, it's arguable that he significantly improved our team based on the available evidence. I'd say Lankester had more of an impact in about half the number of games.

Again I don't disagree, Lankester has real quality, but he's young and is likely to be inconsistent and in and out of the team. Judge has experience on his side and should be capable of playing 30+ games. That is massive for us, given the average age of our squad.

Is he a world beater who is going to single handedly destroy the division and get us promoted? Probably not. But without Judge, our prospects next season look significantly weaker. He is an experienced, influential player.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 12:21]

Huws on 12:22 - May 21 with 769 viewsHerbivore

Huws on 12:21 - May 21 by SouperJim

Again I don't disagree, Lankester has real quality, but he's young and is likely to be inconsistent and in and out of the team. Judge has experience on his side and should be capable of playing 30+ games. That is massive for us, given the average age of our squad.

Is he a world beater who is going to single handedly destroy the division and get us promoted? Probably not. But without Judge, our prospects next season look significantly weaker. He is an experienced, influential player.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 12:21]

I hope he comes good.

Huws on 13:35 - May 21 with 740 viewsGarv

Huws on 11:40 - May 21 by Herbivore

He's improved set pieces. Sadly only one assist as you say, two if you count Downes' goal against Leeds. Also sad that we are currently one of the least physical teams I can remember watching.

I think the point is that he gets in good positions and often threatens. I'm sure he'd admit he hasn't had his shooting boots on at times, but there were a few instances where he showed what he's capable of. He should have hit the target at Norwich after being set up by Keane, had a great left foot volley hit the post at home (Forest or Birmingham?), put it on an absolute plate for Nolan in one of those games also with the nutmeg and cross. He should have scored at Brentford but again was in the position to score.

Surely you can see why people are excited by him?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Huws on 13:38 - May 21 with 736 viewsHerbivore

Huws on 13:35 - May 21 by Garv

He's improved set pieces. Sadly only one assist as you say, two if you count Downes' goal against Leeds. Also sad that we are currently one of the least physical teams I can remember watching.

I think the point is that he gets in good positions and often threatens. I'm sure he'd admit he hasn't had his shooting boots on at times, but there were a few instances where he showed what he's capable of. He should have hit the target at Norwich after being set up by Keane, had a great left foot volley hit the post at home (Forest or Birmingham?), put it on an absolute plate for Nolan in one of those games also with the nutmeg and cross. He should have scored at Brentford but again was in the position to score.

Surely you can see why people are excited by him?

He's done a few nice things and I'm hopeful he'll make a positive contribution next season. I think people go over the top about him though based on what I've seen so far.

Huws on 15:13 - May 21 with 706 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Huws on 13:38 - May 21 by Herbivore

He's done a few nice things and I'm hopeful he'll make a positive contribution next season. I think people go over the top about him though based on what I've seen so far.

You can tell Judge is a talented footballer, good movement on and off the ball, intelligent runs, nice passing, but i fear the injury and age has not seen him hit the heights of his Brentford performances.
Huws is still only 25. Getting him back fully fit will be like a new signing.

Gus Uhlenbeek

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024