Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This milkshake thing is wrong 21:12 - May 20 with 7124 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I don't like Farage or Yaxley-Lennon, but here is why it is wrong:

We all have political views we disagree with but assaulting people for holding them does not encourage democracy;

It will engender further support from those who will see this as an attack on them - a kind of siege mentality.

I post this hesitantly knowing I might get upvotes from Pickles, Grimboy and co!

"If we don't believe in freedom of speech for those we despise; we don't believe in it at all" Noam Chomsky. However, I do believe there are rightly limits that make hate speech and incitement to terror illegal.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:15 - May 20 with 4351 viewsITFC_Forever

The bit that concerns me about it all is when the other side start chucking stuff over Remain politicians.
At the moment, they’ve stuck to foul and abusive language outside Parliament etc, but to then, this is a licence to pour whatever they like over the politicians - a milkshake, a hot drink, something worse...

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:19 - May 20 with 4318 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:15 - May 20 by ITFC_Forever

The bit that concerns me about it all is when the other side start chucking stuff over Remain politicians.
At the moment, they’ve stuck to foul and abusive language outside Parliament etc, but to then, this is a licence to pour whatever they like over the politicians - a milkshake, a hot drink, something worse...

Indeed, part of my point.

There are many reasons why respect for politicians generally is at such a low but this is not right.

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:21 - May 20 with 4300 viewsJakeITFC

I think it’s really funny personally, although would have preferred it stuck to just Robinson and his cronies.
This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:36 - May 20 with 4239 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:21 - May 20 by JakeITFC

I think it’s really funny personally, although would have preferred it stuck to just Robinson and his cronies.

My initial reaction was this. Then I thought about it and the two points I make in the OP hit home.

The individuals who have done it will be prosecuted for assault and rightly so.

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:45 - May 20 with 4195 viewsLammy

Ancient European proverb: Don't cry over spilt milk!
This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:52 - May 20 with 4177 viewsPlums

The apoplectic response from those who have sought to create division and hatred in our society is as delicious as the milkshake probably was. People have had real beatings and abuse on the back of the rhetoric of Farage and his ilk. They deserve no sympathy.
[Post edited 20 May 2019 21:56]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:01 - May 20 with 4145 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:52 - May 20 by Plums

The apoplectic response from those who have sought to create division and hatred in our society is as delicious as the milkshake probably was. People have had real beatings and abuse on the back of the rhetoric of Farage and his ilk. They deserve no sympathy.
[Post edited 20 May 2019 21:56]

No sympathy but my points in the OP still stand don't they?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:07 - May 20 with 4115 viewsfooters

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:01 - May 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Depends if you want his 'I'm-not-racist-but' agenda to be normalised.

He gets covered in milkshake because it makes his views unwelcome/discredited. The more we allow this sort of thing to become a valid, respected opinion the worse things will get.

Fascists aren't welcome here. Tough sh1t.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:11 - May 20 with 4102 viewsPlums

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:01 - May 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Not really. Throwing harmless foodstuffs at politicians is a pretty traditional political reaction. The frothy over reaction isn’t.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:11 - May 20 with 4101 viewsGirthyguy

I just hope we don't have another Jo Cox situation. It's started off with milkshake being chucked. We could end up with some mental yobo c..t stab shoot or throw acid at someone. It's really not out of the question the way things are going. It's disgraceful on all sides.
This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:22 - May 20 with 4064 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Agreed.

...and no, I don't like Farage.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:24 - May 20 with 4054 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:07 - May 20 by footers

Depends if you want his 'I'm-not-racist-but' agenda to be normalised.

He gets covered in milkshake because it makes his views unwelcome/discredited. The more we allow this sort of thing to become a valid, respected opinion the worse things will get.

Fascists aren't welcome here. Tough sh1t.

OK. Let's rephrase one of my points as a couple of questions:

Do you think the milkshake incidents make it more or less likely people will vote for either of them?

Do you think they will deter either of them from espousing their views?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:37 - May 20 with 3997 viewsWarhurst

Anyone who takes delight in this sort of thing cannot complain when the politicians who represent them start getting assaulted. No excuse for tw@tish behavior.
This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:51 - May 20 with 3967 viewsBLUEBEAT

The most outrageous part of today’s incident?

The milkshake cost £5.25p

FIVE POUNDS AND TWENTY-FIVE PENCE FOR A MILKSHAKE

Poll: W or W

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:54 - May 20 with 3952 viewsjeera

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:51 - May 20 by BLUEBEAT

That's absurd. I would have to drink it at that money.

Couldn't they have brought their own in a beaker or something?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 23:47 - May 20 with 3850 viewsfactual_blue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:11 - May 20 by Plums

Not really. Throwing harmless foodstuffs at politicians is a pretty traditional political reaction. The frothy over reaction isn’t.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/shortcuts/2015/oct/05/history-egging-political

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This milkshake thing is wrong on 23:50 - May 20 with 3847 viewsfactual_blue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:24 - May 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

OK. Let's rephrase one of my points as a couple of questions:

Do you think the milkshake incidents make it more or less likely people will vote for either of them?

Do you think they will deter either of them from espousing their views?

It might stiffen the resolve of a few who would vote for him anyway.

I very much doubt if anybody, in the entire history of pelting politicians with foodstuffs, has seen somebody hit with an egg, a milkshake or whatever and thought 'poor chap, I'll vote for him'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This milkshake thing is wrong on 23:54 - May 20 with 3845 viewsjeera

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:11 - May 20 by Girthyguy

I just hope we don't have another Jo Cox situation. It's started off with milkshake being chucked. We could end up with some mental yobo c..t stab shoot or throw acid at someone. It's really not out of the question the way things are going. It's disgraceful on all sides.

And I think that's a fair point.

Assault is becoming more normalised all the time and it may only be considered harmless foodstuff in these instances, but who's to say what influence these actions have.

Repercussions could involve some innocent kid being killed somewhere, maybe because of his colour or his [or family's] views, because all targets are fair game.

It's not ok to normalise assault.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 00:09 - May 21 with 3822 viewsSwansea_Blue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:11 - May 20 by Girthyguy

You don’t need to involk milkshakes as a possible trigger. A far right nutjob was jailed last week for plotting to kill an MP. It was because he was a nasty piece of work following a warped ideology that’s becoming increasingly popular, worryingly. Nothing to do with milkshakes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 03:13 - May 21 with 3738 viewsIllinoisblue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 22:51 - May 20 by BLUEBEAT

as they say, that's a pretty fking good milkshake

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 04:58 - May 21 with 3685 viewsWacko

The logic is flawed here - right and left are not two sides of the same coin. The major contradiction of the right is that they want the freedom to do whatever they want with their own lives (e.g. not pay taxes), but when it comes to other people doing what they want (e.g. abortion, being gay) suddenly they have power of attorney over them. The right are highjacking the liberal ideal of freedom of speech in order to block freedom of action, aka true freedom. If I had a choice of supporting freedom of speech or freedom of action, it would be a no-brainer; this is exactly the choice the right are trying to push us towards. And it's ridiculous - imagine if one fan petitioned Marcus Evans for Ipswich to stop playing football and play netball instead - should we give that fan a platform, even though his words are intended to fundamentally change the very fabric of what Ipswich Town Football Club is all about?

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 08:14 - May 21 with 3469 viewsWD19

This milkshake thing is wrong on 23:50 - May 20 by factual_blue

It might stiffen the resolve of a few who would vote for him anyway.

I very much doubt if anybody, in the entire history of pelting politicians with foodstuffs, has seen somebody hit with an egg, a milkshake or whatever and thought 'poor chap, I'll vote for him'.

As result of yesterday’s ‘attack’ Farage was the headline on the news. The leading story.

My Mrs was convinced it was a false flag attack....so great was the exposure.

....whilst half the ppl liking and sharing and laughing at the whole thing won’t bother voting. They will be satisfied with a bit of online virtue signalling.
This milkshake thing is wrong on 08:29 - May 21 with 3428 viewshampstead_blue

It is wrong.

All politicians have a hard earned freedom to tell their story.
These actions give some a chance to be a martyr and shout louder that they are being 'shut up'.

Freedom of speech is so important and transcends political boundaries.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

This milkshake thing is wrong on 08:38 - May 21 with 3397 viewsCoastalblue

I must confess to having a chuckle when seeing it, but like you feeling a bit more uncomfortable once I've thought about it a bit.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

This milkshake thing is wrong on 08:48 - May 21 with 3362 viewsDanTheMan

Must be what, the third thread on a man getting some milkshake thrown on him?

I find it astounding that this has been talked about WAY more than an actual Neo-Nazi getting jailed for planning to murder an MP.

Good job he didn't throw any milkshake on people though, then he'd really be in trouble.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024