Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This milkshake thing is wrong 21:12 - May 20 with 7165 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I don't like Farage or Yaxley-Lennon, but here is why it is wrong:

We all have political views we disagree with but assaulting people for holding them does not encourage democracy;

It will engender further support from those who will see this as an attack on them - a kind of siege mentality.

I post this hesitantly knowing I might get upvotes from Pickles, Grimboy and co!

"If we don't believe in freedom of speech for those we despise; we don't believe in it at all" Noam Chomsky. However, I do believe there are rightly limits that make hate speech and incitement to terror illegal.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:02 - May 21 with 1408 viewsstrikalite

This milkshake thing is wrong on 13:53 - May 21 by SpruceMoose

The people desperately trying to link this to the murder of Jo Cox should be ashamed of themselves.

...and those laughing at assault should be ashamed too.
This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:03 - May 21 with 1404 viewsSpruceMoose

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:02 - May 21 by strikalite

...and those laughing at assault should be ashamed too.

Hardly. Exploiting Nigel's dry cleaning bill is hardly the same as exploiting a woman's murder.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:06 - May 21 with 1398 viewsstrikalite

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:03 - May 21 by SpruceMoose

Hardly. Exploiting Nigel's dry cleaning bill is hardly the same as exploiting a woman's murder.

Of course, but you have to see where things like this may lead, the guy with the shake was an idiot, the next idiot may plot something a little more sinister, that's all I'm saying..
This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:11 - May 21 with 1400 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

This milkshake thing is wrong on 00:09 - May 21 by Swansea_Blue

You don’t need to involk milkshakes as a possible trigger. A far right nutjob was jailed last week for plotting to kill an MP. It was because he was a nasty piece of work following a warped ideology that’s becoming increasingly popular, worryingly. Nothing to do with milkshakes.

I hate this paint all brexiters and remainers with the same brush, I hope you don’t do this with race and religion aswell.
I am a brexiter for selfish reason, wont go into them all now but leaving would help my business massively.
But I still respect people who want to remain and there views.
Ok so some nut job plotted to kill a mp, you can’t seriously say that we all feel that way because I can assure you we don’t. Just wish that remainers can see that we may have voted for Brexit but not because we are thick or racist but because it will help many people, which is the same reason for you not wanting to leave, you obviously think that your personal situation will be better in the Eu.
At the end of the day none of us are politicians and only have our opinions, Christ, even our politicians haven’t got a clue so how are we supposed to.
I would even take staying in now just to stop this division it has created not only in the uk but more importantly against friends and family.
You can say what you want about Farage but that doesn’t mean assaulting him is acceptable.
I have a sever hatred for Jeremy Corbyn and dianne Abbott so does that make it ok for me to assault them, no of course it doesn’t.
This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:30 - May 21 with 1383 viewschicoazul

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:19 - May 20 by Nthsuffolkblue

Indeed, part of my point.

There are many reasons why respect for politicians generally is at such a low but this is not right.

Tommy isnt a politician.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:45 - May 21 with 1371 viewsLankHenners

The only thing that’s wrong with it all is that Farage has people in the media very happy to let him paint himself as a victim and cry about freedom of speech or whatever which unfortunately seems to resonate with far more people than it should.

Throwing milkshakes on known pieces of sh1t in an attempt to mock, humiliate them etc. is fine as harmless freedom of expression and, as this is essentially a meme being acted out in real life, will pass as quickly as it came about.

Some of the arguments in this thread are quite nonsensical: none of the people doing this are suddenly going to get hold of acid or a gun and do something life threatening; for it ‘looking bad for remainers’, the people who think it’s bad on the whole weren’t big fans of remainers in the first place, and as for the ‘oh, so it’s only ok to do this if it’s someone you disagree with?’ brigade, apart from being a point made utterly in bad faith, they’re hardly going to do it to their own are they?

Everyone seems too obsessed with ‘both-sidesism’ and wanging on about respecting democracy that they forget that telling characters like SYL, Farage etc. that they should p1ss off is something that should be allowed to happen, and really should be encouraged more.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:50 - May 21 with 1362 viewsDarth_Koont

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:45 - May 21 by LankHenners

The only thing that’s wrong with it all is that Farage has people in the media very happy to let him paint himself as a victim and cry about freedom of speech or whatever which unfortunately seems to resonate with far more people than it should.

Throwing milkshakes on known pieces of sh1t in an attempt to mock, humiliate them etc. is fine as harmless freedom of expression and, as this is essentially a meme being acted out in real life, will pass as quickly as it came about.

Some of the arguments in this thread are quite nonsensical: none of the people doing this are suddenly going to get hold of acid or a gun and do something life threatening; for it ‘looking bad for remainers’, the people who think it’s bad on the whole weren’t big fans of remainers in the first place, and as for the ‘oh, so it’s only ok to do this if it’s someone you disagree with?’ brigade, apart from being a point made utterly in bad faith, they’re hardly going to do it to their own are they?

Everyone seems too obsessed with ‘both-sidesism’ and wanging on about respecting democracy that they forget that telling characters like SYL, Farage etc. that they should p1ss off is something that should be allowed to happen, and really should be encouraged more.

Very well said. I wish I could upvote this x10.

Pronouns: He/Him

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:57 - May 21 with 1350 viewsGlasgowBlue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 13:35 - May 21 by strikalite

People find it funny because it was just a milkshake, that isn't the point, next time it could be an acid attack or a Jo Cox situation, I'd send him down for two years, but of course he'll get a slap on the wrist and there lies the problem today..

Or as car bomb

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

This milkshake thing is wrong on 15:01 - May 21 with 1342 viewsSpruceMoose

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:57 - May 21 by GlasgowBlue

Or as car bomb

Glassers, where's the evidence that this was a Liberal, Remainer or a Lefty? Not even the Councillor says it was?
[Post edited 21 May 2019 15:02]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

This milkshake thing is wrong on 15:10 - May 21 with 1311 viewsGlasgowBlue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 15:01 - May 21 by SpruceMoose

Glassers, where's the evidence that this was a Liberal, Remainer or a Lefty? Not even the Councillor says it was?
[Post edited 21 May 2019 15:02]

If you read the tweet, that isn't what Maajid is saying. He's saying that if, like him, you’re a fellow liberal, a fellow remainer or even a tolerable lefty then reign in celebrating the attacks on people like Farage because a) you are condoning intolerance b) it's escalating.

He's not saying it was a Liberal, Remainer or a Lefty who set off the car bomb.

If Anna Soubry is the next person to be attacked with a milshake, or god forbid something more toxic, it will be an escalation of what has happened to Farage and Tommy Robinson.

And I say that as somebody who laughed at TR getting soaked, but in retrospect it's not something we want to see as the norm. I'll also add that I have very strong issues with Corbyn and the environment he has created for British Jews in the Labour party but I condemn the bloke who egged him a couple of months ago.

Iron Lion Zion

This milkshake thing is wrong on 15:14 - May 21 with 1299 viewsSpruceMoose

This milkshake thing is wrong on 15:10 - May 21 by GlasgowBlue

If you read the tweet, that isn't what Maajid is saying. He's saying that if, like him, you’re a fellow liberal, a fellow remainer or even a tolerable lefty then reign in celebrating the attacks on people like Farage because a) you are condoning intolerance b) it's escalating.

If Anna Soubry is the next person to be attacked with a milshake, or god forbid something more toxic, it will be an escalation of what has happened to Farage and Tommy Robinson.

And I say that as somebody who laughed at TR getting soaked, but in retrospect it's not something we want to see as the norm. I'll also add that I have very strong issues with Corbyn and the environment he has created for British Jews in the Labour party but I condemn the bloke who egged him a couple of months ago.

I read the tweet. It is pointing to one event, which could well be petty vandalism, and linking it to another event. There's nothing to link the two at all.

Anyway, in the spirit of our new found truce I vote to leave it as an agree to disagree type deal.

This milkshake thing is wrong on 16:00 - May 21 with 1249 viewsitfcjoe

I think the TR one was different anyway, him and his thugs were getting in and around that bloke who did, there are videos of them trying to intimidate him and he then threw it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 16:51 - May 21 with 1201 viewsballycastle

This milkshake thing is wrong on 13:35 - May 21 by strikalite

People find it funny because it was just a milkshake, that isn't the point, next time it could be an acid attack or a Jo Cox situation, I'd send him down for two years, but of course he'll get a slap on the wrist and there lies the problem today..

'I'd send him down for two years'

Seems a tad harsh, but possibly the chaps best chance of losing his virginity.
This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:15 - May 21 with 1132 viewsfooters

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:30 - May 21 by chicoazul

Tommy isnt a politician.

He's a journalist, apparently.

Weird that. I always thought journalists could string a sentence together.

Tanya Gold still gets paid every now and again, that being said.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:19 - May 21 with 1131 viewsjimmyvet

Hasn’t a staunch remainer just been suspended from her job as a charity executive for advocating on Twitter she wishes acid had been thrown at Farage not a milkshake. It’s absolutely disgusting whatever peoples political persuasions advocating any form of violence or trying to shut down free speech you don’t agree with just leads to more division and ultimately harm will come from this and those on here who support it should be ashamed of themselves. Why are the hard left and hard right so intolerant of other people’s views?
This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:34 - May 21 with 1115 viewsGlasgowBlue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:19 - May 21 by jimmyvet

Hasn’t a staunch remainer just been suspended from her job as a charity executive for advocating on Twitter she wishes acid had been thrown at Farage not a milkshake. It’s absolutely disgusting whatever peoples political persuasions advocating any form of violence or trying to shut down free speech you don’t agree with just leads to more division and ultimately harm will come from this and those on here who support it should be ashamed of themselves. Why are the hard left and hard right so intolerant of other people’s views?

Not forgetting the woman behind the petition to revoke article 50 that everybody was getting rather excited about posted on facebook 'If i got hold of her 'gun' I'd shoot her [Theresa May] point blank in the name of patriotism'.

Iron Lion Zion

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:39 - May 21 with 1105 viewsjimmyvet

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:34 - May 21 by GlasgowBlue

Not forgetting the woman behind the petition to revoke article 50 that everybody was getting rather excited about posted on facebook 'If i got hold of her 'gun' I'd shoot her [Theresa May] point blank in the name of patriotism'.

Can you imagine if TR or another bone head on the right advocates this type of behaviour it just leads to violence and division ultimately and brings shame on those who support this type of behaviour.
This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:46 - May 21 with 1093 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:30 - May 21 by chicoazul

Tommy isnt a politician.

Political adviser and activist. I am sure his earnings are entirely from the political sphere.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This milkshake thing is wrong on 02:26 - May 22 with 1044 viewsHARRY10

This milkshake thing is wrong on 21:46 - May 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Political adviser and activist. I am sure his earnings are entirely from the political sphere.

It appears they have set up a crowd funding page after the damage to the suit by that milkshake.

To buy the thrower another milk shake !
This milkshake thing is wrong on 14:46 - May 22 with 977 viewsGlasgowBlue

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024