Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Inside a Huawei motherboard 11:27 - May 21 with 1734 viewsStokieBlue

I'm quite surprised how much of it is actually designed and manufactured in the US. I would have thought the majority was manufactured in China.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48345509

They have 33 US suppliers some of which really depend on their business:

"NeoPhotonics, a San Jose-based firm which makes networking equipment, has a contract with Huawei that represents 44% of its entire revenue."

I didn't think they would be so reliant on US tech and suppliers, the blacklisting could be very bad for them in the short term and very bad for certain US companies as well.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 11:37 - May 21 with 1684 viewsSwansea_Blue

I haven't really been following this, but it wouldn't surprise me if this hasn't been thought through. In related news the OECD have said that US's GDP could be 0.8% lower over the next couple of years because of the ongoing trade war with China, with nobody benefitting. Quelle surprise.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 11:52 - May 21 with 1649 viewsStokieBlue

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 11:37 - May 21 by Swansea_Blue

I haven't really been following this, but it wouldn't surprise me if this hasn't been thought through. In related news the OECD have said that US's GDP could be 0.8% lower over the next couple of years because of the ongoing trade war with China, with nobody benefitting. Quelle surprise.

There are no winners in the trade war.

Currently the US looks like it will be the “best loser” but that’s hardly a good thing. China is looking at a 1.1% to 1.8% reduction in GDP this year due to the hostilities.

SB

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 12:07 - May 21 with 1616 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 11:52 - May 21 by StokieBlue

Currently the US looks like it will be the “best loser” but that’s hardly a good thing. China is looking at a 1.1% to 1.8% reduction in GDP this year due to the hostilities.

SB

You can bet your last dollar that it will be sold as a massive win, and people will lap it up (it's probably already happening - thankfully my Trump exposure has been limited since we moved back to the UK last year).

I always thought it was common knowledge that trade wars don't help anyone. Kind of why the WTO was established in the first place.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Inside a Huawei motherboard on 18:53 - May 22 with 1423 viewsStokieBlue

ARM now not working with Huawei - that could be it for them for a while.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48363772

SB

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 06:20 - May 23 with 1261 viewsBryanPlug

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 11:52 - May 21 by StokieBlue

SB

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 07:14 - May 23 with 1210 viewsBloomBlue

SB

Technically you are wrong, in all trade wars there is always a winner. Yes correct in the short term no winners but long term always one side is better off.

That's what Trump is looking at short term pain for long term gain the danger for him is in a trade war there is no guarantee which side will be the long term winner. It's a dangerous game he plays but long term would be 2 years or so and if he can get China to back down that's a real positive as he goes into the presidential voting
It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 10:24 - May 23 with 1122 viewsCoachRob

SB

The 1.1% to 1.8% figure - where did you get it from? Is that your research or is there a source?
It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 10:25 - May 23 with 1120 viewsStokieBlue

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 10:24 - May 23 by CoachRob

The 1.1% to 1.8% figure - where did you get it from? Is that your research or is there a source?

I had a read around it yesterday - I don't remember the precise source - I can look later if you are unable to find it.

Seems reasonable wouldn't you say? Or you expect more?

SB

Login to get fewer ads

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 10:42 - May 23 with 1107 viewshampstead_blue

SB

Agree that no-one will win.

Problem is that the Chinese state has complete control. How can that be allowed to bake itself into the world's economies.
I am thinking about being a hostage to them if the Chinese decide to turn off the taps.

I am sure we are in some ways reliant, but no need to make it worse.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 11:14 - May 23 with 1083 viewsCoachRob

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 10:25 - May 23 by StokieBlue

I had a read around it yesterday - I don't remember the precise source - I can look later if you are unable to find it.

Seems reasonable wouldn't you say? Or you expect more?

SB

I don't know! I'm doing some research around China's credit market and MMT. I had a quick google but couldn't find the source, just interested as your one of a few posters who seems to get the role of credit in the economy.
Do you know if they included credit in their model? Your usually pretty good with the data and I think you understand a lazy regression when you see one.
It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 11:56 - May 23 with 1040 viewsLord_Lucan

It's their mothership you need to be more worried about on 11:37 - May 21 by Swansea_Blue

The trade war has absolutely nothing to do with trade. It is a smokescreen.

I struggle to realise why people don’t understand this, actually I probably don’t.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024