Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market 11:54 - May 21 with 1950 viewsSteve_M

Which is currently being turned into the new Museum of London

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2019/05/21/underneath-smithfield-market/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 15:45 - May 21 with 1846 viewsCoastalblue

Great post, thanks Steve, fascinating.

I visited both Billingsgate and Spitafields as a kid on a number of occasions, my Dad used to go twice a week to buy stock, but never went to Smithfield.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 15:59 - May 21 with 1827 viewscatch74

Thanks Steve, amazing it was going to be knocked down, think it will be pretty special when finished.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 21:05 - May 21 with 1743 viewsDubtractor

Some of those pics remind me of Fabric nightclub - another old underground building in Smithfield.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 22:57 - May 21 with 1681 viewsMelford

I remember a brilliant documentary about that place

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 22:58 - May 21 with 1679 viewsMelford

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 21:05 - May 21 by Dubtractor

Some of those pics remind me of Fabric nightclub - another old underground building in Smithfield.

I went to the launch night of Fabric. No BS.

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 07:34 - May 22 with 1575 viewssolemio

Fascinating; thanks Steve.

The original plan was that when the MoL moved to Smithfield a new concert hall would be built at the current MoL. This was the plan of Sir Simon Rattle, who got the great Symphony Hall in Birmingham built back in the early 1990s.

Rattle does not rate the acoustics of the Barbican concert hall! Symphony Hall has probably the second best acoustic of any concert hall in Britain. Snape Maltings is the best.
Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 07:38 - May 22 with 1569 viewsSteve_M

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 07:34 - May 22 by solemio

Fascinating; thanks Steve.

The original plan was that when the MoL moved to Smithfield a new concert hall would be built at the current MoL. This was the plan of Sir Simon Rattle, who got the great Symphony Hall in Birmingham built back in the early 1990s.

Rattle does not rate the acoustics of the Barbican concert hall! Symphony Hall has probably the second best acoustic of any concert hall in Britain. Snape Maltings is the best.

I think there is still something mooted for a new concert hall but they don't come cheap.

I'll make my own opinion of the acoustics at the Barbican, going to see St Etienne there tonight.

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 07:31 - May 23 with 1460 viewssolemio

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 07:38 - May 22 by Steve_M

I think there is still something mooted for a new concert hall but they don't come cheap.

I'll make my own opinion of the acoustics at the Barbican, going to see St Etienne there tonight.

If you now disagree with Rattle I shall of course go along with your view!
Login to get fewer ads

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 07:58 - May 23 with 1435 viewsSteve_M

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 07:31 - May 23 by solemio

If you now disagree with Rattle I shall of course go along with your view!

It's a fantastic venue, 18 years in London and that's the first time I've been there. If there is a problem with the acoustics then it's one beyond my level of hearing to appreciate!

St Etienne were great as ever.

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 10:39 - May 23 with 1398 viewsNo9

Thanks Steve some really interesting photos, presumably of Victorian architecture, blitz damage apart.
Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 22:16 - May 27 with 1298 viewsMelford

Some photos of a derelict Smithfield Market on 07:38 - May 22 by Steve_M

You saw St Etienne do Tiger Bay the other night? I tried to get tickets for that but they were long gone. How was it?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024