Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then 12:16 - May 21 with 2766 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48352026

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:25 - May 21 with 2740 viewsbritbiker

The chelmsford brabch shut a while ago and didn't have great service reviews.

Its a shame that well know chef's put their name to these chains and then have little imput as the years go by.

I like him and his values but im sure it hasnt left him broke.
Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:29 - May 21 with 2718 viewsStokieBlue

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:25 - May 21 by britbiker

Its a shame that well know chef's put their name to these chains and then have little imput as the years go by.

To be fair to him he injected 3m of his own money into the business last year to keep it running.

It was just a losing battle.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:39 - May 21 with 2675 viewschicoazul

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:25 - May 21 by britbiker

I went in there a few times. It was bang average really in terms of food, and over average in terms of price, it was basically an over-priced Pizza Express with the air con ductwork exposed. The staff were very nice though.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:47 - May 21 with 2643 viewsitfcjoe

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:39 - May 21 by chicoazul

I went in there a few times. It was bang average really in terms of food, and over average in terms of price, it was basically an over-priced Pizza Express with the air con ductwork exposed. The staff were very nice though.

It was similar pricing to Pizza Express and Ask but just without the massive discount codes available basically every day.

I just can't see a way this restaurant business doesn't collapse - likes of Ask, Zizzi, etc - there is only so much disposable income and so many of their restaurants must run at a loss.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:50 - May 21 with 2625 viewsDanTheMan

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:39 - May 21 by chicoazul

That was basically my experience. Went to one last year for free (which was nice) but remember thinking that whilst the food was alright, I certainly wouldn't pay as much as they want for it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:03 - May 21 with 2580 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

If only he'd embraced Turkey Twizzlers on the menu they'd be making an absolute killing.

Could have marketed it as a 'cheekier nando's'.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:14 - May 21 with 2530 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:14 - May 21 with 2526 viewsthorpedo

Jamie Oliver is said to be spitting mad......

Thorpedo

Login to get fewer ads

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:21 - May 21 with 2499 viewschicoazul

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:47 - May 21 by itfcjoe

It was similar pricing to Pizza Express and Ask but just without the massive discount codes available basically every day.

I just can't see a way this restaurant business doesn't collapse - likes of Ask, Zizzi, etc - there is only so much disposable income and so many of their restaurants must run at a loss.

Just feels like there are way too many of them at the same price point, give or take. They all blend into one really.

Pizza Express is legit by the way, speaking as a connoisseur of Italian food who once sat next to Angelina Jolie at a pizza restaurant on Capri (she only had mineral water).

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:21 - May 21 with 2492 viewschicoazul

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:50 - May 21 by DanTheMan

That was basically my experience. Went to one last year for free (which was nice) but remember thinking that whilst the food was alright, I certainly wouldn't pay as much as they want for it.

My thoughts exactly.

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:23 - May 21 with 2491 viewsitfcjoe

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:21 - May 21 by chicoazul

Just feels like there are way too many of them at the same price point, give or take. They all blend into one really.

Pizza Express is legit by the way, speaking as a connoisseur of Italian food who once sat next to Angelina Jolie at a pizza restaurant on Capri (she only had mineral water).

Does anyone pay full price at these places? Without a voucher they are as expensive as places like Milsoms locally

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:24 - May 21 with 2478 viewschicoazul

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:23 - May 21 by itfcjoe

Does anyone pay full price at these places? Without a voucher they are as expensive as places like Milsoms locally

Idiots like me do! I always forget to search for voucher codes.

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 14:32 - May 21 with 2396 viewsjontysnut

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:21 - May 21 by chicoazul

I agree that Pizza Express isn't too bad but even with a voucher you can rack up a large bill if you gave a beer or two. That mid market portion controlled franchised chain scene is struggling and people either want an experience or local artisan/Street food.
Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 15:47 - May 21 with 2305 viewsIllinoisblue

this tweet is so harsh, so unfair but boy did I laugh.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 16:40 - May 21 with 2234 viewsGeoffSentence

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:14 - May 21 by thorpedo

Jamie Oliver is said to be spitting mad......

Good interview with Jamie Oliver here

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 16:47 - May 21 with 2223 viewsKeaneish

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 12:29 - May 21 by StokieBlue

To be fair to him he injected 3m of his own money into the business last year to keep it running.

It was just a losing battle.

SB

Over stretched himself the same as many businesses do.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 09:03 - May 22 with 1907 viewsPilgrimblue

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 16:47 - May 21 by Keaneish

He should stick to what he does bets ie books and tv. We went to one of the restaurants in Stratford and walked straight out when we saw the menu.
Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 09:14 - May 22 with 1895 viewsGeoffSentence

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 16:47 - May 21 by Keaneish

Apparently he gave personal payment guarantees to HSBC and Brakes, so he is on the hook personally for some pretty big debts.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 09:50 - May 22 with 1855 viewsbahri

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 09:14 - May 22 by GeoffSentence

Apparently he gave personal payment guarantees to HSBC and Brakes, so he is on the hook personally for some pretty big debts.

Ah Brakes, what awful 'food' they supply.

redandella

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 10:22 - May 22 with 1816 viewsclive_baker

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 09:14 - May 22 by GeoffSentence

PG's are rarely exercised tbf. In the context of Jamie Oliver's wealth and portfolio his restaurants are barely going to dent him. He's doing so well from cook books and royalty deals apparently. I know someone who works for him and he did inject some personal cash a while back, but otherwise his exposure is fairly limited and he's unlikely to lose any sleep over the closure of his restaurants.

The offering wasn't great IMO, bang average food and overpriced for what it was. He'll try and point at market conditions but the reality is that consumer spending on eating out is higher than it's ever been, but ultimately he's been found out by increased competition who are offering better value. Hospitality is incredibly difficult to make any money from at the best of times, with high levels of capital required to scale, but I don't think his Jamie's Italians really knew what they stood for and kind of ended up sitting in the mid market appealing to neither.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 13:39 - May 22 with 1736 viewsWhymarkmariner

The thing that amazes me is that when people go on Master Chef the first thing they are asked is "What do you want to do" their reply is normal " Open my own restaurant and gain a Michelin Star" At the end of the day there's only so much food that can be consumed and so many restaurants that the high street can accommodate . If your product is no better or worse than someone else's, even if your famous, if it's cheaper than you are they'll go there. Must admit, not a huge fan of Oliver, think he's a typical "Wide boy". Done good and good luck to him, but fame only lasts for so long and you are competing against many others. It's best if you take what's going for as long as you can and be grateful.
Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 14:10 - May 22 with 1705 viewsNo9

I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. The food was not very nice & was very expensive
Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 14:27 - May 22 with 1694 viewsRadlett_blue

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 14:10 - May 22 by No9

I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. The food was not very nice & was very expensive

Well, exactly. Customers have voted with their feet. As with many of these mid market chains, people won't keep showing up for average food and hugely marked up drinks, plus various semi-hidden charges.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Jamie Oliver's restaurants out of business then on 15:31 - May 22 with 1642 viewsbrazil1982

Should the business be nationalised? Lots of jobs to be lost....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024