Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? 12:32 - May 21 with 9301 viewshomer_123

I genuinely do - and feel that I am probably in the minority.

Don't get me wrong, there are frustrations, annoyances and days when it's stressful etc. but I really do love what I do.

Anyone else?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:33 - May 21 with 3564 viewsHerbivore

Yep, me too.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:34 - May 21 with 3557 viewsSuperblue95

I quite like my job, but I hate all the sh1te that comes with it if I want to advance my career
[Post edited 21 May 2019 12:35]

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:38 - May 21 with 3526 viewsWeekender

Good for you that's not particularly common I don't think. What do you do if you don't mind me asking?

I'm ok with what I do rather than absolutely loving it. It has a good work life balance and pays reasonably well. Cant complain, mustn't grumble etc.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:38 - May 21 with 3530 viewsDyland

I have an interesting job and feel quite lucky, but I don't love it. Basically there's no monotony and it's always different, and I work with colleagues and clients globally. But it's also fairy meaningless and doesn't give much "job satisfaction" beyond the fleeting ego trip when a big money deal is signed off that I've been instrumental in. That doesn't really float my boat though, and I'm salaried well rather than on commission, not being in a direct sales role.

Not sure I'd want to do stuff I love for a living. Firstly because it may take the fun out of it, and secondly because it's generally boozing, drug taking and whoring.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:39 - May 21 with 3515 viewsfooters

Yep. It may not be exactly what I want to do, but it's close.

If you can turn a passion into a profession then there's not much better, is there?

All this came from many, many drunken lectures from family members... "If I had my time again, boy..." After hearing that for years you find a resolve to never do things just because you 'have to'.

Turned down loads of jobs, told people to fck off, lived on practically nothing for long spells but it's all been worth it.

I appreciate other people have proper responsibilities and have to make do though. Life's never straightforward, which is why I wanted to get established and take the sh1t while still young and have no actual responsibilities.

It's hard to have a kid when no one wants to shag you, after all!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:47 - May 21 with 3474 viewsIllinoisblue

No. Healthcare marketing is as soul destroying as it gets. Also, my boss is a c-unit. On the plus side, very flexible schedule, decentish money, and 6 weeks holiday a year. It’s a trade off...

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:48 - May 21 with 3469 viewsDanTheMan

Absolutely. I don't think you could do my job for very long without enjoying it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:49 - May 21 with 3464 viewsEJP

No. Absolutely hate it.
Only stick it out here to pay the mortgage and put the kids through UNI.
Login to get fewer ads

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:50 - May 21 with 3457 viewshomer_123

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:38 - May 21 by Weekender

Good for you that's not particularly common I don't think. What do you do if you don't mind me asking?

I'm ok with what I do rather than absolutely loving it. It has a good work life balance and pays reasonably well. Cant complain, mustn't grumble etc.

Broadly - it's research.

Extremely interesting, taxing and I'm in a position where I get to make a difference and generally either a direct positive contribution or at least to occasionally stop some not very nice stuff happening to others.

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:51 - May 21 with 3444 viewshomer_123

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:47 - May 21 by Illinoisblue

No. Healthcare marketing is as soul destroying as it gets. Also, my boss is a c-unit. On the plus side, very flexible schedule, decentish money, and 6 weeks holiday a year. It’s a trade off...

What would it take for you to do something different Illy?

Genuine question. Not judging or anything like that.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 12:54]

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:51 - May 21 with 3457 viewsitfcjoe

I like my lifestyle rather than my job so much. If I could do my time again I'd have tried to do something I enjoyed more - it's hard to do that though when growing up in a working class house where you are expected to always be working.

if I wasn't working I'd have a job with my Dad or one of his friends digging holes and cleaning up until I did find a proper job.

Now I'm trapped as earn decent money and have a big mortgage and 2 toddlers - I'm not depressed at all by it, just feel there was more out there that I've missed

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:51 - May 21 with 3438 viewshomer_123

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:49 - May 21 by EJP

No. Absolutely hate it.
Only stick it out here to pay the mortgage and put the kids through UNI.

Once that's done will you do something different?

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:52 - May 21 with 3424 viewschristiand

Homer, you are a very lucky person. To enjoy what you are doing for a job there's not many I feel sure that can say that!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:52 - May 21 with 3426 viewshomer_123

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:51 - May 21 by itfcjoe

I like my lifestyle rather than my job so much. If I could do my time again I'd have tried to do something I enjoyed more - it's hard to do that though when growing up in a working class house where you are expected to always be working.

if I wasn't working I'd have a job with my Dad or one of his friends digging holes and cleaning up until I did find a proper job.

Now I'm trapped as earn decent money and have a big mortgage and 2 toddlers - I'm not depressed at all by it, just feel there was more out there that I've missed

I wonder if more people are in a similar situ Joe? You've certainly described what a lot of other people I know say.

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:54 - May 21 with 3408 viewshomer_123

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:52 - May 21 by christiand

Homer, you are a very lucky person. To enjoy what you are doing for a job there's not many I feel sure that can say that!

I do feel lucky to be honest - I know not many do. Joe below has described the situ many find themselves in.

I've taken some risks to get where I am - made some very tough decisions along the way.

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:54 - May 21 with 3419 viewsLeBlue

Yes, finally I do.

Having spent years and years in the drudgery of local government, I'm now working as a Director at a Children's Hospice.

Bottom line, the pay isn't great but I'm in a job where no 2 days are the same - Trustee meetings and Fundraising events one day, watering the gardens and fixing broken toilets the next.

Too long spent in bureaucratic organisations where you never see a beneficial outcome of your endeavours - now, if I do something there is an immediate and visible positive outcome. Go home feeling like I have made a difference.

And the people that I work with are pure class.
Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:54 - May 21 with 3412 viewsEJP

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:51 - May 21 by homer_123

Once that's done will you do something different?

Once that’s done i’ll be at retirement age!
I was asked what could be done to improve my work life, but as yet “handjob Wednesday” is yet to be instigated.
Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:55 - May 21 with 3398 viewshomer_123

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:54 - May 21 by LeBlue

Yes, finally I do.

Having spent years and years in the drudgery of local government, I'm now working as a Director at a Children's Hospice.

Bottom line, the pay isn't great but I'm in a job where no 2 days are the same - Trustee meetings and Fundraising events one day, watering the gardens and fixing broken toilets the next.

Too long spent in bureaucratic organisations where you never see a beneficial outcome of your endeavours - now, if I do something there is an immediate and visible positive outcome. Go home feeling like I have made a difference.

That sounds incredibly rewarding.

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:55 - May 21 with 3387 viewshomer_123

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:54 - May 21 by EJP

I was asked what could be done to improve my work life, but as yet “handjob Wednesday” is yet to be instigated.

Ha!

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:58 - May 21 with 3371 viewsfooters

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:54 - May 21 by LeBlue

Yes, finally I do.

Bloody hell, buh! That must be a v stressful line of work. Sure I speak for many of us when I say it's not something I could ever do. Selfless, dedicated people like you give the rest of us slackers real inspiration! Must be heart-breaking. Thanks for all your hard work!

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:58 - May 21 with 3372 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Love being a gardener/horticulturalist. Money is not great but being outside having varied jobs & being relatively stress free makes up for that. I can pick & choose whom I wish to work for so win win really.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:58 - May 21 with 3366 viewschristiand

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:54 - May 21 by homer_123

I do feel lucky to be honest - I know not many do. Joe below has described the situ many find themselves in.

I've taken some risks to get where I am - made some very tough decisions along the way.

Good luck to you Homer, you've taken risks to get there and now reaping the benefits.
[Post edited 21 May 2019 13:01]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:58 - May 21 with 3366 viewsgiant_stow

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:38 - May 21 by Dyland

I have an interesting job and feel quite lucky, but I don't love it. Basically there's no monotony and it's always different, and I work with colleagues and clients globally. But it's also fairy meaningless and doesn't give much "job satisfaction" beyond the fleeting ego trip when a big money deal is signed off that I've been instrumental in. That doesn't really float my boat though, and I'm salaried well rather than on commission, not being in a direct sales role.

Not sure I'd want to do stuff I love for a living. Firstly because it may take the fun out of it, and secondly because it's generally boozing, drug taking and whoring.

Open a club?

I never had you down as a corporate type.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:59 - May 21 with 3360 viewsfooters

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:54 - May 21 by EJP

Have they at least drilled the hole in the cubicle yet?

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 13:01 - May 21 with 3339 viewsitfcjoe

Does anyone else 'love' what they do for a living? on 12:52 - May 21 by homer_123

I wonder if more people are in a similar situ Joe? You've certainly described what a lot of other people I know say.

I think people my age might be - certainly from my anecdotal evidence in mid-30s we are just a few years too old to have a good career but be making big sweeping changes to it all the time like is expected for the Millenials.

Probably just about scraped onto the housing ladder in the credit crunch and now don't have the flexibility that renting can bring you.

But I would rather be there than renting it, that certainly isn't a woe is me point, I appreciate I'm lucky to be a home owner.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024