Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit not damaging the economy 11:21 - May 22 with 2899 viewsHerbivore

No siree, it's all just scaremongering. Oh....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48365241

From the article:

"British Steel's troubles have been linked to a slump in orders from European customers ‎due to uncertainty over the Brexit process.

The firm has also been struggling with the weakness of the pound since the EU referendum in June 2016".

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:22 - May 22 with 1948 viewsnever_lose_the_faith

Such a surprise that it’s brexits fault, which hasn’t even happened yet. It could never be the decades of mismanagement and failings and they are looking for an easy excuse.
Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:23 - May 22 with 1947 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Blame Brexit of course....Nothing to do with cheap Chinese steel then?

Gus Uhlenbeek

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:26 - May 22 with 1929 viewsHerbivore

Don't shoot the messenger, chaps. Brexit is being reported as a contributing factor on two fronts. If you want to ignore that that's up to you.

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:26 - May 22 with 1927 viewspickles110564

Classic remoaner scaremongering from Herby again.
Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:27 - May 22 with 1920 viewsHerbivore

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:26 - May 22 by pickles110564

Classic remoaner scaremongering from Herby again.

Keep your head in the sand. It's not scaremongering when stuff is actually happening, Pickles. I wonder if the up to 25,000 people whose jobs are at risk think it's all just scaremongering.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 12:15]

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:28 - May 22 with 1912 viewsWeekender

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:23 - May 22 by ShropshireBluenago09

Care to read the quotes in the post? Of course in reality it likely a combination of both cheap imports and brexit related weak pound/reduced orders.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:32 - May 22 with 1894 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:28 - May 22 by Weekender

Care to read the quotes in the post? Of course in reality it likely a combination of both cheap imports and brexit related weak pound/reduced orders.

British Steel almost went to the wall prior to the referendum

Gus Uhlenbeek

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:36 - May 22 with 1879 viewseireblue

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:22 - May 22 by never_lose_the_faith

Such a surprise that it’s brexits fault, which hasn’t even happened yet. It could never be the decades of mismanagement and failings and they are looking for an easy excuse.

I think business has been fairly consistent that uncertainty is very damaging, and makes it difficult to plan ahead.

Therefore some businesses will start contingency planning to accommodate a range of scenarios, and actually take actions now. Which of course increase costs.

It is a fact that the referendum has happened, and it is a fact that the future trading relationship between EU and UK is unknown.

Also it is a fact that the future trading relationship between UK and the rest of the world is unknown.

Therefore Brexit is having an effect on business now.
It had an effect on my previous companies strategy.
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:36 - May 22 with 1881 viewshomer_123

British Steel has been struggling well before Brexit.

Greybull paid Tata £1 for the loss making business.

Their current plight isn't helped by Brexit but it hasn't been fit for purpose for a long time now.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:56 - May 22 with 1843 viewsGeoffSentence

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:36 - May 22 by homer_123

British Steel has been struggling well before Brexit.

Greybull paid Tata £1 for the loss making business.

Their current plight isn't helped by Brexit but it hasn't been fit for purpose for a long time now.

It was profit making for a while after the Greybull takeover. Everything looked rosy.

Sadly it has gone titsup now with european customers not placing orders due to brexit uncertainty being one of the factors in play.

Whether brexit itself, or the uncertainty around caused by the fecked up process for getting us out that is the real killer is anyone's guess.

For my part, as a remainer, I think this endless ongoing uncertainty is the most damaging thing. Businesses will adjust somehow when the position is clear, but when no-one knows what will happen it will stifle business decisions.

Whatever we do, we really need to do it quickly.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:00 - May 22 with 1832 viewshomer_123

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:56 - May 22 by GeoffSentence

It was profit making for a while after the Greybull takeover. Everything looked rosy.

Sadly it has gone titsup now with european customers not placing orders due to brexit uncertainty being one of the factors in play.

Whether brexit itself, or the uncertainty around caused by the fecked up process for getting us out that is the real killer is anyone's guess.

For my part, as a remainer, I think this endless ongoing uncertainty is the most damaging thing. Businesses will adjust somehow when the position is clear, but when no-one knows what will happen it will stifle business decisions.

£68m profit on a turnover of £1.4b.

Look at their website from July last year: https://britishsteel.co.uk/news/british-steel-reports-strong-q1-profit-announces

The decline in the last 9 months or so, isn't purely down to Brexit - as I said, it plays a part but is far, far from the whole story.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 12:01]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:09 - May 22 with 1800 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:32 - May 22 by ShropshireBluenago09

Yes, but then in October 2016 the EU imposed anti-dumping tariffs on incoming Chinese steel to protect EU domestic producers. The weakening pound and impact on orders since the referendum are what's being reported as causing the problems now. Also, the EU-Chinese trade war.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:11 - May 22 with 1794 viewsNo9

More the procurement managers
Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:11 - May 22 with 1796 viewsGuthrum

Also a drop in the worldwide price of steel. China had cut production, but increased it again.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:12 - May 22 with 1791 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's one and the same. Brexit = uncertainty. Even if we leave tomorrow with no deal, we'll still have years of uncertainty as all the the new economic, political and legal relationships/deals are (re-)negotiated, etc.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 12:17]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:17 - May 22 with 1777 viewsHerbivore

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:12 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

It's one and the same. Brexit = uncertainty. Even if we leave tomorrow with no deal, we'll still have years of uncertainty as all the the new economic, political and legal relationships/deals are (re-)negotiated, etc.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 12:17]

The only way to create certainty again is to remain. Even leaving with the current WA leaves us with a future relationship still to be negotiated with the EU and others. No deal creates something pretty close to chaos.

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:18 - May 22 with 1770 viewsPinewoodblue

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:32 - May 22 by ShropshireBluenago09

The current owners purchased British Steel for £1 much as they did Comet and Monarch ..

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:32 - May 22 with 1720 viewsKeaneish

Ugh. Another lazy post claiming Brexit is the root cause. Lack of a decision is clearly leading the slow down in UK investment. Still, the economic realities seem to bother protestors little who'll continue protesting, which is ironic given economics is partly what they're protesting about.

I'm struggling to find a contract at the moment as projects keep being put on hold. I've far more issue with those who fail to recognise a Democratic result than i do those who voted for Brexit.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:36 - May 22 with 1709 viewsHerbivore

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:32 - May 22 by Keaneish

Ugh. Another lazy post claiming Brexit is the root cause. Lack of a decision is clearly leading the slow down in UK investment. Still, the economic realities seem to bother protestors little who'll continue protesting, which is ironic given economics is partly what they're protesting about.

I'm struggling to find a contract at the moment as projects keep being put on hold. I've far more issue with those who fail to recognise a Democratic result than i do those who voted for Brexit.

Yeah, but you're not exactly the sharpest tool in the box fella.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 12:39]

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:42 - May 22 with 1658 viewsjonnysuave

Brexit not damaging the economy on 11:22 - May 22 by never_lose_the_faith

My fear is that it will be exactly these management incompetents (the UK elite) that will be expected to lead us come day one of our decision to shoot ourselves in the foot. A horrifying thought indeed.
Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:42 - May 22 with 1651 viewspickles110564

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:36 - May 22 by Herbivore

Yeah, but you're not exactly the sharpest tool in the box fella.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 12:39]

Lose the debate and starts throwing insults, you have not changed Herbie, just like the remainers that spat at people after they left a BREXIT party speech.
Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:47 - May 22 with 1624 viewsHerbivore

Brexit not damaging the economy on 12:42 - May 22 by pickles110564

Lose the debate and starts throwing insults, you have not changed Herbie, just like the remainers that spat at people after they left a BREXIT party speech.

I haven't lost any debate. There's no real debate going on here, pickles. The article is clear that Brexit has contributed to the demise of British Steel on two fronts. There's not much debate to be had about that. You're ignoring this of course, as you do most things containing words of more than one syllable. You don't seem to ever really understand what's going on, pickles. I've tried being reasonable with you but you're a lost cause unfortunately.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 12:51]

Brexit not damaging the economy on 13:11 - May 22 with 1576 viewsfactual_blue

The immediate crisis has been provoked by the fact that BS aren't able to claim carbon offset credits from the EU. Their entitlement to them was suspended as part of the brexit process.

So brexit is directly to blame.

The dreadful irony is that Scunthorpe is at the heart of one of biggest leave voting areas of the UK.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Brexit not damaging the economy on 13:16 - May 22 with 1551 viewsWhymarkmariner

We seem to be one of the few Countries that protect our industries from takeovers and cheap imports. Trump may be considered by many to be an idiot, but at least he protects American companies. Why do we think there's such a big thing going on with Huawei, probably little to do with security, more to do with protecting American Companies, silicon valley and all that. Successive Government, mostly Tories have allowed major manufacturing to be sold off to foreign Countries. Utility services are mainly run by foreigners and many of our ports are owned by the Chinese. A disaster for this Country and many workers. this also means that we have to cow tow to these Countries because they have us by the short and curlies.
Brexit not damaging the economy on 13:21 - May 22 with 1526 viewsHerbivore

Brexit not damaging the economy on 13:16 - May 22 by Whymarkmariner

We seem to be one of the few Countries that protect our industries from takeovers and cheap imports. Trump may be considered by many to be an idiot, but at least he protects American companies. Why do we think there's such a big thing going on with Huawei, probably little to do with security, more to do with protecting American Companies, silicon valley and all that. Successive Government, mostly Tories have allowed major manufacturing to be sold off to foreign Countries. Utility services are mainly run by foreigners and many of our ports are owned by the Chinese. A disaster for this Country and many workers. this also means that we have to cow tow to these Countries because they have us by the short and curlies.

If only we could be members of a larger and more powerful political and economic entity that would help to ensure we can't be easily bullied by the likes of China and the US.....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024