Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 12:39 - May 22 with 16871 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

He was asked about the sacking of his mate Chris Hughton and immediately turned it to ANOTHER dig at us.

‘Well they wanted a change just like they did at Ipswich. That went well’.

As I said before he’s just eroding the memory of the good stuff he did here by constantly acting like a bitter child.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 20:57 - May 23 with 610 viewsstrikalite

Don't forget Bury too, mate lives there and still can't quite get my head round the fact we're now in the same league...
Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:26 - May 23 with 584 viewsTractorWood

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 13:07 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He walked into a job that many think is pretty much his dream one?

He was appointed 7 months after the Barnsley game. Not really walking into it. It may be his dream job but in reality it's a cushy stopgap with minimal expectations.

He clearly wanted a hands-on project but I don't think any were forthcoming of decent calibre. He's a great man manager and creates that siege mentality that is useful in the right environment. Ironically, like Hughton the game knows what his strengths and limitations are. I'd imagine few owners these days see him as anything other than a December panic appointment when the ship is meandering.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 22:35]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:27 - May 23 with 582 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 15:46 - May 23 by Mach_foreignBlue

No you haven't got your facts right as this was mccarthy who had started an animosity by his ignorant comments and digs at fans.

How did they abuse him? By singing : 'm**k mccarthy your football is s**t'? Is it an abuse? People can vote their displeasure after watching parking the bus at home to Burton for example. So stop preaching.
Moreover mccarthy abusing us is fine but when people singing his football is s**t is wrong? Think about what you're saying.

I know nothing about who is going and who isn't nowadays. You question their support and loyalty, right? But obviously there was nothing wrong though with walking away like you did under Keane you rank hypocrite, eh?
[Post edited 23 May 2019 15:47]

I thought most of that was unfair on the team actually. Certainly was at Norwich and at many home matches too.

I'm guessing Mick could give a flying one over what people think about him. But the insult to his professionalism and to his team including young players would have made him angry.

Made me angry too. It was pitiful at times and that's even without hearing the Brentford nonsense.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:30 - May 23 with 578 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:27 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

I thought most of that was unfair on the team actually. Certainly was at Norwich and at many home matches too.

I'm guessing Mick could give a flying one over what people think about him. But the insult to his professionalism and to his team including young players would have made him angry.

Made me angry too. It was pitiful at times and that's even without hearing the Brentford nonsense.

As an FYI I've been watching you. You're making an early play for poster of the year. I like it.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:34 - May 23 with 574 viewsTractorWood

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 12:04 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

The Ireland job is better than a mid-table Championship job - especially if you've successfully played for and managed Ireland before.

I think if the job had come up before he'd have likely left us for it.

I don't think Martin O'Neill would agree with that. That Ireland squad is poor. For that reason it's a bad job. Mick is their best chance of qualifying for 2020 through smash and grab. If they could compete on the deck with a crop of good players, they'd be a different proposition and would attract a manager with a different strategy.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:52 - May 23 with 565 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:30 - May 23 by SpruceMoose

As an FYI I've been watching you. You're making an early play for poster of the year. I like it.

Aw shucks! Back at ya, babe.

That's thrown me though. I usually judge my posts on whether I annoy the right people.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:52 - May 23 with 565 viewsPJH

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 19:40 - May 23 by Ryorry

Yes, I've been going through the list with interest! Bolton's a bit of a stretch for me these days, ditto Blackpool, but Sunderland, Accrington Stanley and Rochdale look possible. Shame about Bradford in more ways than one; gotta be pleased for Barnsley but a bit sad about not going there next season.

Re the debate -

1. You said "I think MM's general man management where it really mattered, with his players, was pretty good." I'd say it also really mattered with the fans, can't you see that it does?

2. "As I have said, his comments about fans have frequently tended to be too general rather than purely targeting those that needed targeting." Agreed.

3."No doubt he could have handled his reactions to the way that he was treated differently but it is a matter of opinion as to whether handling it differently would necessarily have been handling it better."

I'm a bit gobsmacked that you can't see it would have been better if, eg, he'd handled it the PL way - you even said on your later post of 3.46 this afternoon "He could have handled it differently-I do not think that that situation would get to anything like that stage in similar circumstances with Paul Lambert because MM and PL seem to be totally different characters."

Well exactly! Can you honestly see PL getting angry at fans & telling them to eff off, simply because they behaved like some football fans do, told him his football was sh1t etc.? A good manager is able to handle that, it's a standard part of the job - a professional should have risen above it - not behaved like a fan himself, giving it back and creating an antagonistic spiral of reaction in the same kind of way that happens in some threads on football forums!

Anyway, looking forward to the fixture list coming out!

Sorry for the delay in replying, have been out with my wife, my son and son's girlfriend for a meal-very nice thank you.

I agree that the MM v Fans situation would not have and not likely to have arisen with PL purely because MM and PL seem to be totally different characters(as I said).

There was on a few occasions at the back end of the season just finished a little bit of sarcastic chearing and chanting, if it ever got to the stage that the wonderful fans that we now have restarted the negative chanting and abusing of players that we had before it would be interesting to see how PL reacted. I do not think that he would go full on MM but I would think and hope that he would be defensive of his players.

Regarding the first point I believe that the most important people for a manager to have on board are his players, it helps if they also have the fans but I stick by saying that man management of his players is where it really matters.
Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:53 - May 23 with 557 viewsPJH

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:52 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

That's thrown me though. I usually judge my posts on whether I annoy the right people.

You talk a lot of sense so on that basis you very likely annoy the right people.
I hope that I do both too.
Login to get fewer ads

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 23:15 - May 23 with 542 viewsRyorry

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:52 - May 23 by PJH

Sorry for the delay in replying, have been out with my wife, my son and son's girlfriend for a meal-very nice thank you.

I agree that the MM v Fans situation would not have and not likely to have arisen with PL purely because MM and PL seem to be totally different characters(as I said).

There was on a few occasions at the back end of the season just finished a little bit of sarcastic chearing and chanting, if it ever got to the stage that the wonderful fans that we now have restarted the negative chanting and abusing of players that we had before it would be interesting to see how PL reacted. I do not think that he would go full on MM but I would think and hope that he would be defensive of his players.

Regarding the first point I believe that the most important people for a manager to have on board are his players, it helps if they also have the fans but I stick by saying that man management of his players is where it really matters.

No problem, you have your priorities right! and glad you had a good time.

I agree that good managers should defend their players, at least in public; and that man-management of players is the top priority - I just happen to think that good managers should *also* be able to "man-manage" the fans well.

Looks as though we might not actually be that far apart in our views then, & it's good to have been able to work it out on this thread - us coming to blows in our seats at Rochdale or somewhere might have been too much of a distraction for some!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 05:46 - May 24 with 493 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:26 - May 23 by TractorWood

He was appointed 7 months after the Barnsley game. Not really walking into it. It may be his dream job but in reality it's a cushy stopgap with minimal expectations.

He clearly wanted a hands-on project but I don't think any were forthcoming of decent calibre. He's a great man manager and creates that siege mentality that is useful in the right environment. Ironically, like Hughton the game knows what his strengths and limitations are. I'd imagine few owners these days see him as anything other than a December panic appointment when the ship is meandering.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 22:35]

Take the point about the timescale but in reality there were only a couple of jobs that would have interested him - and one of those went to Marcelo Bielsa so hardly a damning indictment on him

Regardless of the caretaker circumstances the Ireland job is clearly a very attractive one for him, daft to pretend it isn’t

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 14:23 - May 24 with 423 viewsSpruceMoose

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 22:52 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

I live to be the wrong people.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 14:32 - May 24 with 414 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 23:15 - May 23 by Ryorry

No problem, you have your priorities right! and glad you had a good time.

I agree that good managers should defend their players, at least in public; and that man-management of players is the top priority - I just happen to think that good managers should *also* be able to "man-manage" the fans well.

Looks as though we might not actually be that far apart in our views then, & it's good to have been able to work it out on this thread - us coming to blows in our seats at Rochdale or somewhere might have been too much of a distraction for some!

The difference between Mick and most managers is that most manager would be diplomatic and play to both sides.

'I appreciate that the fans pay their money and are entitled to an opinion and whenever we put in a performance beneath the standards the players are capable of, it's only natural that they will voice their frustrations. However, I can assure the fans that the players give me everything during the week, they are doing their very best for the football club and they are hurting as well. The fans need the players and the players need the fans. We all want to succeed'.

Something along those lines. It doesn't alienate the fans or the players. It empathises with the fans. It backs the players. It creates no division. It potentially brings people together.

Mick however ……….

'I don't know how those numbskulls think booing is going to help my players. The fans were a disgrace'.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024