Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 12:39 - May 22 with 16888 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

He was asked about the sacking of his mate Chris Hughton and immediately turned it to ANOTHER dig at us.

‘Well they wanted a change just like they did at Ipswich. That went well’.

As I said before he’s just eroding the memory of the good stuff he did here by constantly acting like a bitter child.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 10:07 - May 23 with 917 viewsitfcjoe

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 06:58 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I don’t see how something can be a better proposition and more appealing but not seen as an improvement, that doesn’t make sense. But ignoring semantics, the point is still laughable for me, but keep on persuading yourself that this is somehow better if you wish

Whilst I agree to a point, there clearly is a lot of people who think this is a better proposition seeing as we've increased our ST sales by a good %age this year

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 10:23 - May 23 with 892 viewsKeaneish

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 10:07 - May 23 by itfcjoe

Whilst I agree to a point, there clearly is a lot of people who think this is a better proposition seeing as we've increased our ST sales by a good %age this year

This is it. Whether it's an improvement or not, time will tell but the idea of it is a better and more appealing proposition than what we had, to most. Brexit is a perfect example of this in action. It might not be an improvement, certainly not short-term but the idea of something different and a change in direction was a better proposition for the majority who voted.

Aligning our plight with Brexit is a bad analogy which will get pelted.

I'm pitching for investment in a business idea at the moment which is a proposition based on a hypothesis i've proved out with research and development and market research. The proposition is appealing but whether its an improvement depends on whether anyone's prepared to risk their investment and find out. Season tickets have increased because people like the proposition and want to see for themselves.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Who asked you....? on 10:43 - May 23 with 870 viewsBloots

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 10:01 - May 23 by Griller

From the outside looking in MM's biggest problem was the fact that at no point did he ever believe that the fans had the power to get him out which makes his departure all the more painful to him. Undoubtedly he will learn from the experience.

....you gin soaked old tramp.

Keep your beak out.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:20 - May 23 with 845 viewsPJH

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 09:46 - May 23 by PhilTWTD

Wasn't just referring to him but some other managers similarly affected by criticism, although I agree Mick got some over the top stick. Similarly, from my perspective, he wasn't particularly pleasant to deal with a lot of the time.

I imagine with you fronting TWTD you were seen by MM as being indirectly representative of the idiots that were giving him way over the top grief although I am not sure how many of those idiots used TWTD.
In that case I do not imagine that it was all that pleasant for you.
Did he treat you any differently to RS and EADT representatives?
If he did then my theory above would seem to be correct.

If my theory also applies to how Paul Lambert sees you then you will probably get treated like royalty by him for as long as PL's love affair with the fans lasts.
Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:25 - May 23 with 836 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 10:07 - May 23 by itfcjoe

We’ve also reduced the price considerably

The novelty will wear off incredibly quickly if we’re not celebrating promotion back to the Championship this time next year

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:28 - May 23 with 828 viewsPJH

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:25 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The novelty will wear off incredibly quickly if we’re not celebrating promotion back to the Championship this time next year

I am wondering at what point people will start to come to the conclusion that results actually do matter after all.

The paradox in my case is that I am still firmly a PL fan despite the very poor results overall and my still held belief that results are all that matters.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 11:41]
Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:38 - May 23 with 810 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:28 - May 23 by PJH

I am wondering at what point people will start to come to the conclusion that results actually do matter after all.

The paradox in my case is that I am still firmly a PL fan despite the very poor results overall and my still held belief that results are all that matters.

Yeah, I feel exactly like that too.

I am a bit disappointed that Lambert couldn't turn things around but he was put in charge of a juggernaut in reverse. Stopping that and trying to get a team to gel that had some pretty serious gaps and structural flaws after a pretty disastrous summer window was always a tough ask so he gets a bit of a free pass.

I just hope we bounce back well in August with some good results. A poor start and a season that suddenly becomes "transitional" will be quite depressing in League One.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:41 - May 23 with 800 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:20 - May 23 by PJH

I imagine with you fronting TWTD you were seen by MM as being indirectly representative of the idiots that were giving him way over the top grief although I am not sure how many of those idiots used TWTD.

If my theory also applies to how Paul Lambert sees you then you will probably get treated like royalty by him for as long as PL's love affair with the fans lasts.

I'm not sure he ever knew precisely who worked for what organisation, not really sure that matterered to him. I think he saw the local media pack as a whole as on the outside pissing in, to use his favourite Lyndon Johnson quote.
Login to get fewer ads

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:42 - May 23 with 796 viewsfooters

Some of those scoldings of Lord Ham were quite funny in retrospect!

Sorry, Phil...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:46 - May 23 with 790 viewsPJH

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:41 - May 23 by PhilTWTD

I'm not sure he ever knew precisely who worked for what organisation, not really sure that matterered to him. I think he saw the local media pack as a whole as on the outside pissing in, to use his favourite Lyndon Johnson quote.

Oh well that destroys that theory of mine then.

It was a good theory whilst it lasted.

On another note it is an ambition of mine to get introduced to you one day, my last attempt was in fanzone last day of the season but hoppy said "he was here earlier".

edit-it was not the last game, it was the one before.I did not even see hoppy last game.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 11:48]
Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:47 - May 23 with 785 viewsTractorWood

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 19:30 - May 22 by PhilTWTD

You'd think experienced managers would have thicker skins, but it's amazing how fragile their egos are.

I think football has changed a lot and very few teams would look at Mick and say he's the answer to any question other than a shambles with expensive egos halfway through a really disappointing season.

A lot said he would walk into a good job. Look how that turned out.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:50 - May 23 with 778 viewsPJH

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:47 - May 23 by TractorWood

I think football has changed a lot and very few teams would look at Mick and say he's the answer to any question other than a shambles with expensive egos halfway through a really disappointing season.

Although MM or someone very much like him would probably have kept us in the Championship if brought in when Hurst was dumped.
Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:59 - May 23 with 751 viewsPhilTWTD

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:46 - May 23 by PJH

Oh well that destroys that theory of mine then.

It was a good theory whilst it lasted.

On another note it is an ambition of mine to get introduced to you one day, my last attempt was in fanzone last day of the season but hoppy said "he was here earlier".

edit-it was not the last game, it was the one before.I did not even see hoppy last game.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 11:48]

Come and say hello whenever, I'm in the FanZone until 2pm for Saturday games. Would be a pleasure to put a face to a name.
Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:59 - May 23 with 749 viewsitfcjoe

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:25 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

If Mick had stayed last season the ST numbers would have taken a significant drop even with the price decrease.

The novelty will wear off, but the novelty of Mick had worn off for huge swathes of our fan base who were voting with their feet and wallet - and I say that as someone who was broadly supportive of Mick until the end, and seen as a Mick-Inner (because I wasn't a rabid Mick-outer)

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 12:01 - May 23 with 740 viewsitfcjoe

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:28 - May 23 by PJH

It all matters - it's never just one thing. Even if results are the most important thing then it still takes more than that as proven here.

Ultimately, results are fine if they are bringing success - but mid table football and outperforming budgets is a success in real terms it isn't much to shout about as a fan

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 12:02 - May 23 with 738 viewsitfcjoe

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:38 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

Yeah, I feel exactly like that too.

I am a bit disappointed that Lambert couldn't turn things around but he was put in charge of a juggernaut in reverse. Stopping that and trying to get a team to gel that had some pretty serious gaps and structural flaws after a pretty disastrous summer window was always a tough ask so he gets a bit of a free pass.

I just hope we bounce back well in August with some good results. A poor start and a season that suddenly becomes "transitional" will be quite depressing in League One.

Typical that after so long of stability the first season when things go wrong is the one where there is no transfer window for loans!

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 12:04 - May 23 with 738 viewsitfcjoe

The likes of Big Sam, Pulis and Mick need to realise what they are good at and use that to make vast sums of money.

Go in to save times having poor seasons and walk away with massive bonuses in the summer before recharging their batteries and going again

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 12:04 - May 23 with 731 viewsDarth_Koont

The Ireland job is better than a mid-table Championship job - especially if you've successfully played for and managed Ireland before.

I think if the job had come up before he'd have likely left us for it.

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 12:09 - May 23 with 714 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 12:02 - May 23 by itfcjoe

Typical that after so long of stability the first season when things go wrong is the one where there is no transfer window for loans!

Yes, and it went wrong when we finally had money and leeway in the transfer market. The fact that it went wrong because of that doesn't detract from the decent position we squandered after a few years of austerity and building up the squad.

For all that people complain about Evans's lack of ambition and need to open the purse strings, we've had an appalling record during his tenure where at least 4 of his managers have shown him why they shouldn't be given money.

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 12:49 - May 23 with 657 viewsBlueBlood90

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 14:32 - May 22 by SpruceMoose

Spending an entirety in League One suggests we would be finishing mid table every season, playing crap football, never winning a cup game, signing a load of rubbish old has beens and pals anyway. Just in a lower league than Mick had us doing it in.

The only thing you might avoid is Mick McCarthy taking up residence in your head.

He far from takes up residency in my head mate.

The funny thing is I was never actually a vocal 'Mick Out' person. It's since he's left that I'm happier he's gone.

I thought he did a solid job given our circumstances but a change was desperately needed at the end of his contract. The fact that he's gone and cried to the media and played himself off as some sort of victim is what I don't like.

He absolutely deserved some of the abuse he got and although we're in a league lower I think the fan base are far more together than the previous 3 years.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 13:07 - May 23 with 641 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

He walked into a job that many think is pretty much his dream one?

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 13:18 - May 23 with 623 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 11:59 - May 23 by itfcjoe

If Mick had stayed last season the ST numbers would have taken a significant drop even with the price decrease.

The novelty will wear off, but the novelty of Mick had worn off for huge swathes of our fan base who were voting with their feet and wallet - and I say that as someone who was broadly supportive of Mick until the end, and seen as a Mick-Inner (because I wasn't a rabid Mick-outer)

I do agree with that and clearly it was time for a change but just because ticket sales have increased doesn’t mean the change of manager has gone well, because clearly it hasn’t

Sales have been boosted thanks to the novelty value of a new manager/league, the price drop and the work of blue action. That’s clearly a positive but that has a shelf life. If we don’t go up and the novelty value wears off we’ll see a sharp drop - and likely to be lower than we ever saw under McCarhty if we have an extended stay

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 13:20 - May 23 with 614 viewsDarth_Koont

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 12:49 - May 23 by BlueBlood90

He far from takes up residency in my head mate.

The funny thing is I was never actually a vocal 'Mick Out' person. It's since he's left that I'm happier he's gone.

I thought he did a solid job given our circumstances but a change was desperately needed at the end of his contract. The fact that he's gone and cried to the media and played himself off as some sort of victim is what I don't like.

He absolutely deserved some of the abuse he got and although we're in a league lower I think the fan base are far more together than the previous 3 years.

"He absolutely deserved some of the abuse he got"

No he didn't.

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 13:59 - May 23 with 580 viewsRyorry

I've met Phil a few times before he went all posh & started sitting in the Press Boxes instead of standing amongst us fans! ;) He's is as sunny & good-natured a bloke you'll find, as well as being a fair & balanced journo, so the fact he says "Similarly, from my perspective, he ((MM)) wasn't particularly pleasant to deal with a lot of the time" speaks volumes to me.

**Brown envelope in usual place please, cheers Phil :)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 14:23 - May 23 with 554 viewsPJH

Mick unable to help himself - Part 328 on 13:59 - May 23 by Ryorry

I've met Phil a few times before he went all posh & started sitting in the Press Boxes instead of standing amongst us fans! ;) He's is as sunny & good-natured a bloke you'll find, as well as being a fair & balanced journo, so the fact he says "Similarly, from my perspective, he ((MM)) wasn't particularly pleasant to deal with a lot of the time" speaks volumes to me.

**Brown envelope in usual place please, cheers Phil :)

I am hoping to meet Phil next season as you will see from earlier in this thread.

You will also see from earlier in this thread that I theorised that MM saw Phil as fronting the ITFC supporters including the element that were, and always will be to my mind, idiots and I speculated that MM treated Phil as he did because of that.
Phil indicates that MM was much the same with everyone in the local media so that demolished my theory.

I do not doubt that Phil is a very nice bloke but what that has got to do with me taking MM's side in any MM v "supporters" debates I am not sure.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024