Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well done Remoaners 17:30 - May 22 with 6194 viewspickles110564

We can't bail out British Steel because of the EU, 25000 jobs lost on you
Well done Remoaners on 18:37 - May 22 with 1250 viewsgazzer1999

Well done Remoaners on 17:36 - May 22 by GlasgowBlue

What isn't fake news is that British Steel had to give the EU for £120 million worth of payments under its Emissions Trading Scheme.

Under the ETS, heavy industries which face international competition are given free allowances of carbon credits to meet the EU demands. But although the UK is bound by the ETS until December 2020, the EU has decided to stop issuing free allowances to UK firms.

The government had to give them a bridging loan for that money to pay the EU. And under EU law any money lent to companies have to be on a commercial basis, any proposals by the company to borrow more money would have been unlawful.
95% of steel for rails for British Rail are sourced from British steel, not sure what brexit has to do with that.
This is just a follow up to your comments not a dig.
Well done Remoaners on 18:45 - May 22 with 1233 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Well done Remoaners on 18:37 - May 22 by gazzer1999

The government had to give them a bridging loan for that money to pay the EU. And under EU law any money lent to companies have to be on a commercial basis, any proposals by the company to borrow more money would have been unlawful.
95% of steel for rails for British Rail are sourced from British steel, not sure what brexit has to do with that.
This is just a follow up to your comments not a dig.

It's a shame it is now Rail Track and that figure is 6 years out of date. Can't easily see what it is now but suspect it is lower.

And any comment on my question above yet?
[Post edited 22 May 2019 18:46]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Well done Remoaners on 19:08 - May 22 with 1204 viewsgazzer1999

Well done Remoaners on 18:45 - May 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's a shame it is now Rail Track and that figure is 6 years out of date. Can't easily see what it is now but suspect it is lower.

And any comment on my question above yet?
[Post edited 22 May 2019 18:46]

"British Steel customer Network Rail sources 95% of its rails from British Steel's Scunthorpe plant.
In a statement, the rail infrastructure operator said it had been working closely with British Steel and the government for "many weeks".
"We have done what we can to help ease the company's financial difficulties. We have improved our order book with the company - increasing rail production volumes, bringing orders forward and committing to a long term schedule - as well as offering immediate payment to ease the pressure on cash flow."
It is understood the company has enough stockpiles to keep it going until other suppliers can increase production."

From the BBC news website, Network Rail not Rail Track, if you want to be picky. Failed to see that the figures were out of date, as it was written today.
Well done Remoaners on 19:10 - May 22 with 1201 viewsgazzer1999

Well done Remoaners on 17:58 - May 22 by Nthsuffolkblue

Could also be linked to the government sourcing 42% of its steel from abroad.

Are the government stock piling the steel to make up for the loss we had on gold that Gordon Brown sold at rock bottom prices?
Well done Remoaners on 19:13 - May 22 with 1199 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Well done Remoaners on 19:08 - May 22 by gazzer1999

"British Steel customer Network Rail sources 95% of its rails from British Steel's Scunthorpe plant.
In a statement, the rail infrastructure operator said it had been working closely with British Steel and the government for "many weeks".
"We have done what we can to help ease the company's financial difficulties. We have improved our order book with the company - increasing rail production volumes, bringing orders forward and committing to a long term schedule - as well as offering immediate payment to ease the pressure on cash flow."
It is understood the company has enough stockpiles to keep it going until other suppliers can increase production."

From the BBC news website, Network Rail not Rail Track, if you want to be picky. Failed to see that the figures were out of date, as it was written today.

OK. Fair enough found it now. Only figures I could find before were from 2013. Suggests that figure has remained steady over that period too.

Interesting the private company is willing to put 95% of its orders that way while the government only does with a much smaller percentage.

PS It helps to give an actual link.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Well done Remoaners on 19:15 - May 22 with 1196 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well done Remoaners on 19:08 - May 22 by gazzer1999

Maybe people should have thought of that before letting a bunch of charlatans convince them to vote for a course of action that was always going to damage our country. It’s not as if they weren’t warned either.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 19:29]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Well done Remoaners on 00:22 - May 23 with 1112 viewsSpruceMoose

Well done Remoaners on 17:37 - May 22 by J2BLUE

What a stupid post. Their situation is caused by the uncertainty around Brexit.

You really do get more stupid with each day.

I don't think that's true. Reckon he hit peak stupid a few moments after birth and leveled off immediately.
[Post edited 23 May 2019 0:23]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Well done Remoaners on 05:17 - May 23 with 1090 viewsm14_blue

Remain lost the referendum, how on earth can remainers be responsible for anything??

This is what the future holds isn’t it? Absolutely no responsibility taken amongst the Brexiteers as Project Feat becomes reality and their supporters will still blindly blame everyone else while they stand in the queue at the job centre.

Shameless.
Login to get fewer ads

Well done Remoaners on 06:33 - May 23 with 1060 viewsballycastle

Well done Remoaners on 17:37 - May 22 by J2BLUE

What a stupid post. Their situation is caused by the uncertainty around Brexit.

You really do get more stupid with each day.

Not completely, The lending of money to businesses on less than commercial terms is illegal under EU law, this is also part of the reason if the Guardian is to be believed.
Well done Remoaners on 07:34 - May 23 with 1007 viewsvilanovablue

Well done Remoaners on 19:10 - May 22 by gazzer1999

Are the government stock piling the steel to make up for the loss we had on gold that Gordon Brown sold at rock bottom prices?

Which was what economists recommended at the time and was spent on bonds which return a yield whilst gold just sits the. It is also worth pointing out he only sold a fraction of our gold but that doesn't fit the narrative does it?
Well done Remoaners on 07:59 - May 23 with 989 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well done Remoaners on 07:34 - May 23 by vilanovablue

Which was what economists recommended at the time and was spent on bonds which return a yield whilst gold just sits the. It is also worth pointing out he only sold a fraction of our gold but that doesn't fit the narrative does it?

He sold over 50% of our gold reserves and went against the advice of the BOE and his civil servants. The sale generated around or £2.4billion but it is now worth around £17billion.

That is a matter of public record.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well done Remoaners on 08:02 - May 23 with 984 viewsvilanovablue

Well done Remoaners on 07:59 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

He sold over 50% of our gold reserves and went against the advice of the BOE and his civil servants. The sale generated around or £2.4billion but it is now worth around £17billion.

He was diversifying which was prudent based the situation then. The bonds he bought with the cash were paying 4% interest at the time, if they had remained that way it would have been a wise decision.

However we can all be economists in hindsight.
Well done Remoaners on 08:02 - May 23 with 984 viewsBloomBlue

But he still sold it for less than half it's real worth. How many millionaires did he make that day (I forget) who sold it closer to 85% of it's real worth within minutes of buying it?

The stupid thing was those who made that money were the ones who were telling him to sell. A fool and his money.....
Well done Remoaners on 08:21 - May 23 with 954 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well done Remoaners on 08:02 - May 23 by vilanovablue

He was diversifying which was prudent based the situation then. The bonds he bought with the cash were paying 4% interest at the time, if they had remained that way it would have been a wise decision.

However we can all be economists in hindsight.

It wasn’t a prudent based situation back then. He went against the advice of the BOE ad gphis advisors.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well done Remoaners on 08:52 - May 23 with 922 viewsballycastle

These facts obviously do not go with the 'narrative'
Well done Remoaners on 09:10 - May 23 with 905 viewsSwansea_Blue

Well done Remoaners on 06:33 - May 23 by ballycastle

Not completely, The lending of money to businesses on less than commercial terms is illegal under EU law, this is also part of the reason if the Guardian is to be believed.

Not being able to be leant money isn't the cause though; a fall-off in orders due to Brexit has been cited as the main trigger by BS, which it would obviously be vulnerable to in an already difficult global marketplace. This is the juvenile "project fear" becoming project reality in the real world, sadly. it's not the first instance and it won't be the last.

Being bailed out would be a reaction to the problem, it's not the problem.

Well done Remoaners on 09:14 - May 23 with 899 viewsJ2BLUE

Well done Remoaners on 06:33 - May 23 by ballycastle

I realise we can't bail them out. I'm saying their situation was caused by losing European business to need a bail out in the first place.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Well done Remoaners on 09:14 - May 23 with 896 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep, remember it well at the time.

Well done Remoaners on 09:15 - May 23 with 893 viewschicoazul

He sold half of it!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Well done Remoaners on 09:18 - May 23 with 888 viewsfooters

Bit misleading to compare the 2008 price with today's. Gold has doubled in value since so it's an unfair comparison.

Not saying it wasn't a bad deal, btw.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Well done Remoaners on 09:23 - May 23 with 874 viewschicoazul

Well done Remoaners on 09:18 - May 23 by footers

Bit misleading to compare the 2008 price with today's. Gold has doubled in value since so it's an unfair comparison.

The whole "he sold our gold" thing is such BS anyway. Is that the best people can levy against him? If so he was a pretty damn good Chancellor & PM.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Well done Remoaners on 09:24 - May 23 with 872 viewsJ2BLUE

Well done Remoaners on 09:18 - May 23 by footers

Central banks have been buying quite a lot of gold since about 2010. I wonder if we've bought any back at higher prices.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Well done Remoaners on 09:26 - May 23 with 869 viewsStokieBlue

I think it's a bit harsh to point out the cost of something at a future price based on a historical sale.

By the same value he was an idiot for not investing in Apple shares in the 1990's when they were 5 USD rather than 400 USD now or keep the oil from that period and selling it when it reached 100 USD a barrel.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Well done Remoaners on 09:28 - May 23 with 862 viewschicoazul

Well done Remoaners on 09:26 - May 23 by StokieBlue

I think it's a bit harsh to point out the cost of something at a future price based on a historical sale.

By the same value he was an idiot for not investing in Apple shares in the 1990's when they were 5 USD rather than 400 USD now or keep the oil from that period and selling it when it reached 100 USD a barrel.

SB

Oh don't, you just reminded me I didnt buy as much of Barclays as I could afford in Feb 2009 like my mate told me to.

Well done Remoaners on 09:30 - May 23 with 862 viewsfooters

Well done Remoaners on 09:23 - May 23 by chicoazul

The whole "he sold our gold" thing is such BS anyway. Is that the best people can levy against him? If so he was a pretty damn good Chancellor & PM.

Hmm. I'm not so sure. Comparatively, I'd agree, but that's not saying much. Brown's light touch regulation of the financial sector no doubt made things worse when the inevitable happened. That and the continuation of PFI, which makes no real financial sense whatsoever. True, it gets things done quicker but we're now hampered with paying that off until 2050 in some cases, I believe.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024