Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well done Remoaners 17:30 - May 22 with 6210 viewspickles110564

We can't bail out British Steel because of the EU, 25000 jobs lost on you
Well done Remoaners on 09:34 - May 23 with 859 viewsGlasgowBlue

Well done Remoaners on 09:23 - May 23 by chicoazul

The whole "he sold our gold" thing is such BS anyway. Is that the best people can levy against him? If so he was a pretty damn good Chancellor & PM.

Ignoring advice and raiding pensions is far worse. But the discussion was about selling gold which is what I was replying to.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well done Remoaners on 09:40 - May 23 with 847 viewschicoazul

Well done Remoaners on 09:34 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

Ignoring advice and raiding pensions is far worse. But the discussion was about selling gold which is what I was replying to.

I understand luv.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Well done Remoaners on 09:47 - May 23 with 829 viewsflimflam

Well done Remoaners on 08:21 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

It wasn’t a prudent based situation back then. He went against the advice of the BOE ad gphis advisors.

Robbed pensions and stoked house prices also.

Pretty much bust the country which we are still suffering from now.

Plus billions of QE funny money to try to fix what happened on his watch.

Edit to change Destroyed to Robbed
[Post edited 23 May 2019 11:02]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Well done Remoaners on 09:53 - May 23 with 816 viewsballycastle

Well done Remoaners on 09:14 - May 23 by J2BLUE

I realise we can't bail them out. I'm saying their situation was caused by losing European business to need a bail out in the first place.

There are a multitude of reasons why steel made in Britain is not sustainable, the delay in Brexit, the not knowing is certainly one, to blame Brexit solely is as disingenuous as the OP.
Well done Remoaners on 10:12 - May 23 with 793 viewsNo9

Well done Remoaners on 09:47 - May 23 by flimflam

Robbed pensions and stoked house prices also.

Pretty much bust the country which we are still suffering from now.

Plus billions of QE funny money to try to fix what happened on his watch.

Edit to change Destroyed to Robbed
[Post edited 23 May 2019 11:02]

Where did you get that rubbish from?
Well done Remoaners on 10:12 - May 23 with 792 viewsStokieBlue

Well done Remoaners on 10:12 - May 23 by No9

The house prices bit is fair.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Well done Remoaners on 10:15 - May 23 with 786 viewschicoazul

Well done Remoaners on 10:12 - May 23 by No9

Apart form the QE bit, which he had to do as desperate times call for desperate measures, it's a pretty fair post. I would still take him and his outriders in a heartbeat over the current cabinet and indeed shadow cabinet.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Well done Remoaners on 10:21 - May 23 with 770 viewsNo9

Well done Remoaners on 10:15 - May 23 by chicoazul

Apart form the QE bit, which he had to do as desperate times call for desperate measures, it's a pretty fair post. I would still take him and his outriders in a heartbeat over the current cabinet and indeed shadow cabinet.

Well he didn't bust the pensions did he?
Stoked house prices is debatable
& the bust started in the USA, if anything Browns actions in getting international action made things in the financial world better not worse
& don't forget the NAO shows that before the 2010 election the UK was in recovery mode.

And, for good measure the NAO also shows Cameron & Osborn doubled the national debt which is still considerably worse than it was in 2010.
Now the concern ought to be what is happening to the balace of imports & exports
Login to get fewer ads

Well done Remoaners on 10:27 - May 23 with 760 viewsHennikerBlu

Well done Remoaners on 09:23 - May 23 by chicoazul

The whole "he sold our gold" thing is such BS anyway. Is that the best people can levy against him? If so he was a pretty damn good Chancellor & PM.

It is an interesting period of our economic history, I think it is important to bear in mind that he and the UK were not unique in wishing to reduce gold reserves. In other words, it could be rightly said he was not operating in isolation.

However, all this 'telegraphed' activity was supressing the gold price, hence why it was not a good time to sell. France pulled out and sold a few years later when prices recovered for a much higher price (for example). He was strongly advised not to do it by the experts who understood the markets. Therefore, the logical conclusion is, this decision had more to do with political needs rather than sound economics and demonstrated his lack of real world economic skills.

I think to say "Is the best we can levy against him?", should not be used to distract from the salient point that this was poorly managed. As to whether he was good or bad in other ways or whether this single issue should define his tenure, that should perhaps be a separate thread.
Well done Remoaners on 10:31 - May 23 with 754 viewsNo9

Well done Remoaners on 19:08 - May 22 by gazzer1999

"British Steel customer Network Rail sources 95% of its rails from British Steel's Scunthorpe plant.
In a statement, the rail infrastructure operator said it had been working closely with British Steel and the government for "many weeks".
"We have done what we can to help ease the company's financial difficulties. We have improved our order book with the company - increasing rail production volumes, bringing orders forward and committing to a long term schedule - as well as offering immediate payment to ease the pressure on cash flow."
It is understood the company has enough stockpiles to keep it going until other suppliers can increase production."

From the BBC news website, Network Rail not Rail Track, if you want to be picky. Failed to see that the figures were out of date, as it was written today.

It may be worth researching how many firms Greybull bought have failed & how little money they put into them.
Greybull have taken a lot of taxpayer money to support their businesses without putting much, if any of their own cash at risk.

Maybe the fault is with management and UK. Co. Law rather than the EU?
Well done Remoaners on 10:51 - May 23 with 737 viewsflimflam

Well done Remoaners on 10:21 - May 23 by No9

Well he didn't bust the pensions did he?
Stoked house prices is debatable
& the bust started in the USA, if anything Browns actions in getting international action made things in the financial world better not worse
& don't forget the NAO shows that before the 2010 election the UK was in recovery mode.

And, for good measure the NAO also shows Cameron & Osborn doubled the national debt which is still considerably worse than it was in 2010.
Now the concern ought to be what is happening to the balace of imports & exports

You cannot just disagree with things because you dont like them.

"& don't forget the NAO shows that before the 2010 election the UK was in recovery mode" - A false recovery as was based on money printed from thin air.

You seem to think you know more than you actually do.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-1646128/Browns-17000-tax-ra

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7003337/Bullion-expert-slams-Gordon-Bro

https://blogs.thisismoney.co.uk/2010/04/brown-i-will-not-allow-house-prices-to-g

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13032013

Edit - I'll add in the PFI scandal just for good measure

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/pfi-banks-barclays-hsbc-rbs-tony-b
[Post edited 23 May 2019 11:05]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Well done Remoaners on 10:56 - May 23 with 732 viewsClapham_Junction

Well done Remoaners on 06:33 - May 23 by ballycastle

Not completely, The lending of money to businesses on less than commercial terms is illegal under EU law, this is also part of the reason if the Guardian is to be believed.

It isn't. As an example, the GLA currently has a programme to lend money at subsidised interest rates to encourage energy efficiency improvements.
Well done Remoaners on 11:00 - May 23 with 716 viewsballycastle

Well done Remoaners on 10:56 - May 23 by Clapham_Junction

It isn't. As an example, the GLA currently has a programme to lend money at subsidised interest rates to encourage energy efficiency improvements.

OK, Really is unlike the Guardian to be wrong
Well done Remoaners on 12:46 - May 23 with 655 viewsHARRY10

another day, another brexit lie

odd they never have anything that is truthful worth posting
Well done Remoaners on 12:48 - May 23 with 649 viewsfooters

Well done Remoaners on 11:00 - May 23 by ballycastle

OK, Really is unlike the Guardian to be wrong

It actually is. The Guardian usually tops polls of the most truthful newspapers, while the worst offenders are The Sun, Mail and Express.

And even worse than that are the Facebook groups which are unregulated and just spout simplistic sh1t that certain idiots take at face value. But there we are.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Well done Remoaners on 12:49 - May 23 with 647 viewsJ2BLUE

Well done Remoaners on 09:53 - May 23 by ballycastle

There are a multitude of reasons why steel made in Britain is not sustainable, the delay in Brexit, the not knowing is certainly one, to blame Brexit solely is as disingenuous as the OP.

I never said it was the only reason. I'm just pointing out that the OP saying it's because of the EU when Brexit is one of the biggest reasons they need a bailout in the first place is incredibly stupid.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Well done Remoaners on 18:00 - May 23 with 578 viewsgazzer1999

Well done Remoaners on 12:48 - May 23 by footers

It actually is. The Guardian usually tops polls of the most truthful newspapers, while the worst offenders are The Sun, Mail and Express.

And even worse than that are the Facebook groups which are unregulated and just spout simplistic sh1t that certain idiots take at face value. But there we are.

Bit like Vince Cable, and that SNP lot.
Well done Remoaners on 18:21 - May 23 with 567 viewsWeWereZombies

Well done Remoaners on 18:00 - May 23 by gazzer1999

Bit like Vince Cable, and that SNP lot.

Well I am surprised at you coming out with an endorsement of Vince Cable and the SNP as the most truthful compared with the Sun, Mail and Express. To be honest I find the SNP a bit of a mixed bunch.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Well done Remoaners on 18:28 - May 23 with 554 viewsBloomBlue

The worst offender is the Mirror as is the Guardian when it comes to their main advertiser HSBC
Well done Remoaners on 18:30 - May 23 with 552 viewsSpruceMoose

Well done Remoaners on 18:28 - May 23 by BloomBlue

The worst offender is the Mirror as is the Guardian when it comes to their main advertiser HSBC

God, are you still ploughing the HSBC furrow? I saw you get schooled on that the other day!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Well done Remoaners on 18:30 - May 23 with 551 viewsfooters

Well done Remoaners on 18:28 - May 23 by BloomBlue

You've really got a bee in your bonnet about HSBC, haven't you?

Have you seen the Torygraph taking dollar from the party of Mao?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Well done Remoaners on 18:31 - May 23 with 550 viewsPinewoodblue

Well done Remoaners on 17:41 - May 22 by StokieBlue

Perhaps the leave side should have mentioned that to the people of Scunthorpe before they voted to leave?

It's unfortunate but this isn't the EU's fault. It's a result of what the people in that region voted for. It's literally reaping what you sow.

It's sad though with regards to the job losses.

SB

Think we know the french would bail out an industry and then when pulled up for it said sorry. Not us we say we can't do it as it is against EU law and are willing to let an industry die.

The annoying thing about it we can probably kiss goodbye to the £120m bail out, which was legal, earlier this month.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Well done Remoaners on 18:35 - May 23 with 540 viewsballycastle

I read the online version for balance and the sport coverage is decent, but sometime the G just gets to much 'the world is sh1t' 'hate the rich' 'hate your country' every so often there is a gem of an article particularly when the USA is involved.
Well done Remoaners on 18:38 - May 23 with 530 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Well done Remoaners on 17:58 - May 22 by pickles110564

It was said in the HOC today so get your facts right.

Loving your faith that whatever is said in the HOC must be true cos our politicians never lie

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Well done Remoaners on 18:41 - May 23 with 525 viewssyntaxerror

Well done Remoaners on 10:31 - May 23 by No9

It may be worth researching how many firms Greybull bought have failed & how little money they put into them.
Greybull have taken a lot of taxpayer money to support their businesses without putting much, if any of their own cash at risk.

Maybe the fault is with management and UK. Co. Law rather than the EU?

A lot of people have glossed over this fact. Also have to ask the question is why they got the carbon fine in the first place.
They had been granted carbon credits by the EU, but they sold them. I wonder if that money went to the factory or Greybull?
And if they hadn't sold them, they would not have needed to ask the government for the £100 million they now owe.

Interesting reading:
https://www.ft.com/content/832027d4-5fa2-11e9-a27a-fdd51850994c
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024