Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That’s the Chagos Islands gone then 19:22 - May 22 with 1298 viewsSwansea_Blue

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/22/uk-suffers-crushing-defeat-un-vote

UN voted overwhelmingly that we need to leave and hand them back within 6 months.

Our Govt response seems to be ‘well we didn’t want them anyway’.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 20:25 - May 22 with 1213 viewsFtnfwest

This would be putting the Chagos islanders under the control of the Mauritians who treat them like sub humans. But at least they’re their sub humans I suppose so that’s alright
That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 20:31 - May 22 with 1197 viewsPinewoodblue

Doubt it not while the US air-force still use Diego Garcia.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 20:48 - May 22 with 1169 viewsronnyd

I read in the report that Spain, one of our "allies," voted for the motion. Does that mean that they will be giving up the enclaves they hold in North Africa?
That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 21:01 - May 22 with 1140 viewsStokieBlue

Whilst we should we don't have to actually listen to them.

China has suffered multiple defeats on the Spratly Islands and all the islands they claim in the South China sea but just ignore them and put military bases on them.

You'll not see many on here moaning about it though.

SB
[Post edited 22 May 2019 21:02]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 23:45 - May 22 with 1019 viewsSwansea_Blue

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 21:01 - May 22 by StokieBlue

Whilst we should we don't have to actually listen to them.

China has suffered multiple defeats on the Spratly Islands and all the islands they claim in the South China sea but just ignore them and put military bases on them.

You'll not see many on here moaning about it though.

SB
[Post edited 22 May 2019 21:02]

Yep, it'll be interesting to see how we deal with it. We're making quite a hoo-ha considering we're trying to pretend it doesn't matter. So I doubt we'll give them up without a fight.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 23:46]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 09:15 - May 23 with 862 viewsStokieBlue

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 23:45 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, it'll be interesting to see how we deal with it. We're making quite a hoo-ha considering we're trying to pretend it doesn't matter. So I doubt we'll give them up without a fight.
[Post edited 22 May 2019 23:46]

Diego Garcia is vital for military cover in that area. They aren't going to give it up.

The rest of the area is a protected marine reserve with magnificent corals and no tourists.

SB

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 09:17 - May 23 with 857 viewschicoazul

Hard to see any real justification for "keeping" them tbh. Bit like the Elgin marbles. Imperialism is not justifiable anymore.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 09:22 - May 23 with 852 viewsStokieBlue

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 09:17 - May 23 by chicoazul

Hard to see any real justification for "keeping" them tbh. Bit like the Elgin marbles. Imperialism is not justifiable anymore.

Elgin Marbles?

They were then sold to the UK by the Turks who used them for target practice as they saw no value in them. If they hadn't been saved they would be gone now. They weren't seized via imperialism.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 09:25 - May 23 with 849 viewschicoazul

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 09:22 - May 23 by StokieBlue

Elgin Marbles?

They were then sold to the UK by the Turks who used them for target practice as they saw no value in them. If they hadn't been saved they would be gone now. They weren't seized via imperialism.

SB

Pretty sure I didnt say they were my guy. But can you present a justification for keeping them?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 10:04 - May 23 with 826 viewsStokieBlue

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 09:25 - May 23 by chicoazul

Pretty sure I didnt say they were my guy. But can you present a justification for keeping them?

That's they weren't taken in any way and were actually saved from destruction?

The fact that the Greeks can't even maintain the Parthenon?

I'm not against them being sent back as a general point, it's just more complicated that going "imperialism!".

SB

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 10:16 - May 23 with 811 viewsNo9

Is that symbolic of what the rest of the planet thinks of the UK?
That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 10:18 - May 23 with 806 viewschicoazul

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 10:04 - May 23 by StokieBlue

That's they weren't taken in any way and were actually saved from destruction?

The fact that the Greeks can't even maintain the Parthenon?

I'm not against them being sent back as a general point, it's just more complicated that going "imperialism!".

SB

You're confusing two different points I made. Those being; Imperialism is not justifiable anymore, certainly not for a minnow like us: and the Elgin marbles should go back home.

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 12:45 - May 23 with 767 viewsStokieBlue

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 10:18 - May 23 by chicoazul

You're confusing two different points I made. Those being; Imperialism is not justifiable anymore, certainly not for a minnow like us: and the Elgin marbles should go back home.

Really?

Why would you even mention the Elgin Marbles unless it was another example of Imperialism? That's certainly how your post reads.

If that was the point then fair enough.

SB

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 15:49 - May 23 with 731 viewsChurchman

That’s the Chagos Islands gone then on 20:25 - May 22 by Ftnfwest

This would be putting the Chagos islanders under the control of the Mauritians who treat them like sub humans. But at least they’re their sub humans I suppose so that’s alright

If the islanders want to be part of Mauritius let it go. If like the people of Gibraltar and Falklands they want to stay with the UK it should stay.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024