Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) 16:53 - May 26 with 3006 viewspointofblue

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 16:57 - May 26 with 2609 viewsBloomBlue

Bowyer is a better manager then Ross
Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 16:58 - May 26 with 2585 viewspointofblue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 16:57 - May 26 by BloomBlue

Considering the riches at Sunderland's disposal not going up straight away is slightly unforgivable - look at the pressure many fans are already putting on Town to finish at least in the top six.

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:00 - May 26 with 2535 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The will be favourites and will have a different manager next season.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:01 - May 26 with 2508 viewsGluedtoBlue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:00 - May 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

The will be favourites and will have a different manager next season.

Different manager? I'd be surprised if Ross isn't there at start of season.

Agree he might go if they don't start well though.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:02 - May 26 with 2494 viewsParisBlue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 16:58 - May 26 by pointofblue

Considering the riches at Sunderland's disposal not going up straight away is slightly unforgivable - look at the pressure many fans are already putting on Town to finish at least in the top six.

They still have another season of parachute payments, albeit a reduced amount of 17m.

Had they gone up today there was a likelihood of a large investment to get them challenging for promotion to the premiership asap. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I've a fear Charlton might try to tempt some of our youngsters. That would annoy me...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:07 - May 26 with 2431 viewsGeoffSentence

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:02 - May 26 by ParisBlue

They still have another season of parachute payments, albeit a reduced amount of 17m.

Had they gone up today there was a likelihood of a large investment to get them challenging for promotion to the premiership asap. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I've a fear Charlton might try to tempt some of our youngsters. That would annoy me...

£17m should give them a fairly tasty headstart in league 1.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:07 - May 26 with 2428 viewspointofblue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:02 - May 26 by ParisBlue

Sell to invest; that's the way of League One unfortunaterly. If losing Downes or Bishop means we can build a squad with more depth and skill we may have to live with it, however painful that may be.

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:08 - May 26 with 2408 viewsPendejo

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 16:57 - May 26 by BloomBlue

Massive respect for the tearaway Bowyer who would have thought he'd be a manager, let alone one that wins promotion in an environment such as Charlton under the hated Belgian

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:11 - May 26 with 2349 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:01 - May 26 by GluedtoBlue

Different manager? I'd be surprised if Ross isn't there at start of season.

Agree he might go if they don't start well though.

Don't you think failure to get up with their budget is failure?

I think he will be gone before after this.

I also think if Derby lose tomorrow the same will be true for Lampard (although they may well wait to pull the trigger if they think Chelsea will pay compensation to take him off their hands). It is the way of football and especially of the clubs that splash the clubs nowadays.

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:16 - May 26 with 2301 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:11 - May 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

I also think if Derby lose tomorrow the same will be true for Lampard (although they may well wait to pull the trigger if they think Chelsea will pay compensation to take him off their hands). It is the way of football and especially of the clubs that splash the clubs nowadays.

Lampard won’t go but think you could be right about Ross. Although think the budget point is a bit overstated with Sunderland - it was huge but they were an absolute mess

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:19 - May 26 with 2265 viewsRozz

No way will Derby show Lampard the noose. They've been bottlemen for half a decade and he's dragged them to their best league finish since promotion in 2007.

All the noises coming out of the club are positive, and he's in his first season as a professional manager. While promotion will have been the target, I think that alone would at least temper some of their owner's expectations.
Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:20 - May 26 with 2246 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:16 - May 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Lampard won’t go but think you could be right about Ross. Although think the budget point is a bit overstated with Sunderland - it was huge but they were an absolute mess

Is our budget huge? Our we in an absolute mess? Do most of our fans expect us to struggle next season?

There is so much that doesn't add up the way so many seem to think where Sunderland have come is not failure and that we will somehow walk the league next season.

I am certainly not saying Lampard should go but, assuming they lose tomorrow, has he really achieved anything more than all the managers they have sacked every previous season?

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:25 - May 26 with 2162 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:20 - May 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Is our budget huge? Our we in an absolute mess? Do most of our fans expect us to struggle next season?

There is so much that doesn't add up the way so many seem to think where Sunderland have come is not failure and that we will somehow walk the league next season.

I am certainly not saying Lampard should go but, assuming they lose tomorrow, has he really achieved anything more than all the managers they have sacked every previous season?

Our budget isn’t huge but it’s definitely large compared to a lot of the division

I’d also say we’re not a mess - but we do still have a bloated squad which means we’re not going to be overhauling anything, even after all the releases the other day. The hope is that those that weren’t good enough will be good enough in the league below, and the key players we do sign (Norwood hopefully) will plug the gaps in the squad. I’m still not overly confident, unfortunately

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:30 - May 26 with 2101 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:25 - May 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Our budget isn’t huge but it’s definitely large compared to a lot of the division

I’d also say we’re not a mess - but we do still have a bloated squad which means we’re not going to be overhauling anything, even after all the releases the other day. The hope is that those that weren’t good enough will be good enough in the league below, and the key players we do sign (Norwood hopefully) will plug the gaps in the squad. I’m still not overly confident, unfortunately

I agree our budget is not huge.

You don't think finishing so far adrift at the foot of the Championship, with a bloated squad and a large injury list that already affects the first half of next season all suggest we are a mess?

I hope Lambert makes the right signings and gets us playing as a team. I hope we find a team spirit and 14-15 players that stay fit all season. However, I am not certain we will.

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:31 - May 26 with 2101 viewsGluedtoBlue

It will definitely be seen as a failure against their aim, which would have been promotion. I just think given how close they've come that Ross might get the first month or 2 of next season.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:36 - May 26 with 2044 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:19 - May 26 by Rozz

No way will Derby show Lampard the noose. They've been bottlemen for half a decade and he's dragged them to their best league finish since promotion in 2007.

All the noises coming out of the club are positive, and he's in his first season as a professional manager. While promotion will have been the target, I think that alone would at least temper some of their owner's expectations.

I think you will find they sacked their manager after finishing 6th last season and after finishing 3rd and 5th in 2 out of the previous 4 before that.

If they lose tomorrow and don't sack Lampard it will be a change of tack for them.

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:37 - May 26 with 2026 viewspointofblue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:19 - May 26 by Rozz

On your first point, they’ve had better League finishes under other managers since 2007 - 3rd in 2014/2015 and fifth in 2015/2016. They equalled the finish they managed last year with 6th. The difference is he’s got them to Wembley this time around.

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:41 - May 26 with 1983 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:37 - May 26 by pointofblue

On your first point, they’ve had better League finishes under other managers since 2007 - 3rd in 2014/2015 and fifth in 2015/2016. They equalled the finish they managed last year with 6th. The difference is he’s got them to Wembley this time around.

Indeed. Win at Wembley and he is their hero (and probably off to Chelsea). Lose at Wembley and he has achieved no more than all those they have sacked in the past few years. They will then be hoping Chelsea remain interested and keen to arrange compensation. If they don't they will still have a new man lined up before the start of the season.

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:41 - May 26 with 1979 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:30 - May 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

I agree our budget is not huge.

You don't think finishing so far adrift at the foot of the Championship, with a bloated squad and a large injury list that already affects the first half of next season all suggest we are a mess?

I hope Lambert makes the right signings and gets us playing as a team. I hope we find a team spirit and 14-15 players that stay fit all season. However, I am not certain we will.

I agree with a lot of that but think Sunderland were a particularly special case - still had lots of deadwood on properly big money (ie. PL-level) long term contracts and a huge overhaul required

By comparison we’re sh*t but the core of a side is there - but yes we do still need to shift some players and absolutely nail the 3/4 signings we do make to go straight back up, I think

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:42 - May 26 with 1969 viewsmanchego

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:07 - May 26 by pointofblue

Sell to invest; that's the way of League One unfortunaterly. If losing Downes or Bishop means we can build a squad with more depth and skill we may have to live with it, however painful that may be.

When did that work out for us lately ?
Selling a "name" and ending up with a squad with depth and skill ?

I hasn't happened has it.
Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:46 - May 26 with 1923 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:42 - May 26 by manchego

When did that work out for us lately ?
Selling a "name" and ending up with a squad with depth and skill ?

I hasn't happened has it.

"lately" is the big word isn't it?

I think it worked out for us with Keiron Dyer didn't it?

Not sure I can think of more recent examples.

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 18:01 - May 26 with 1842 viewsmanchego

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:46 - May 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

"lately" is the big word isn't it?

I think it worked out for us with Keiron Dyer didn't it?

Not sure I can think of more recent examples.

I can't even remember what we did with the Dyer money.
It may have improved us so you may be right.
I have a feeling it didn't but someone with the internet will put us right.
Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 18:05 - May 26 with 1805 viewsGeoffSentence

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 17:25 - May 26 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Didn't Milne make some claim a couple of seasons ago, about the top 6 in league one having a bigger budget than us? I can't remember exactly what it was but he was definitely bemoaning that there werea number of league one clubs better off than us.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 18:39 - May 26 with 1712 viewspointofblue

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 18:01 - May 26 by manchego

I can't even remember what we did with the Dyer money.
It may have improved us so you may be right.
I have a feeling it didn't but someone with the internet will put us right.

Isn’t that where the Stewart money came from? And Hreidarsson. Might be wrong though!

You do have a point though - if we sell reinvestment is a must.

Sunderland in League One it is then (n/t) on 18:48 - May 26 with 1675 viewsjas0999

.... just goes to show that an instant return is by no means guaranteed and tougher than some think. Congrats to Charlton - their stay in league one has also been some time.

It’s important we build a good squad this summer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024