Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit extension beyond October 31st? 08:35 - May 28 with 3098 viewsOldsmoker

Juncker said last week that he thought that the UK may ask for another extension because the new PM would need thinking time or have to decide quickly for no-deal, the WAB or revoke article 50.
With the Brexit party making up a large chunk of far-right malcontents in the EU parliament, the EU now wants shot of the UK and Farage. This will reduce the number of far-right populists within the EU parliament which suits the EU centre parties.
Those in the EU that can grant a further extension don't want to anymore.
That means if the next PM is for no-deal then a no-deal on Oct 31st will more than likely happen.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 08:36 - May 28 with 1981 viewsOldsmoker

Apologies - I posted this as a football thread. It clearly isn't.

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 08:46 - May 28 with 1953 viewspickles110564

Great news.
Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:03 - May 28 with 1949 viewsOldsmoker

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 08:46 - May 28 by pickles110564

Great news.

No its not.
The EU will now make up our minds for us.
After the new PM is installed there is no time to do anything, certainly not re-negotiation or arranging a second referendum.
That leaves Revoke Article 50 or crash out as the only plausible options because of the time-scale. The new PM ain't going for Revoke, leaving crash out as the last option standing.

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:12 - May 28 with 1927 viewsNo9

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:03 - May 28 by Oldsmoker

No its not.
After the new PM is installed there is no time to do anything, certainly not re-negotiation or arranging a second referendum.
That leaves Revoke Article 50 or crash out as the only plausible options because of the time-scale. The new PM ain't going for Revoke, leaving crash out as the last option standing.

It is apparent those who want the UK to leave the EU don't understand the process nor what comes next.
There is a lot of glib talk about going to WTO rules without understanding the other members calll the shots NOT the UK. This government has shown it is incapable of negotiating with 27 other countries what chance has it got of negotiating with more than 100, including some who are hostile?
Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:18 - May 28 with 1910 viewsflimflam

I would be 99% certain the next Tory leader will not ask for another extension and will either be a new deal with no backstop or we leave by default on the 31st October.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:20 - May 28 with 1894 viewsHerbivore

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:18 - May 28 by flimflam

I would be 99% certain the next Tory leader will not ask for another extension and will either be a new deal with no backstop or we leave by default on the 31st October.

There is no deal without a backstop.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:23 - May 28 with 1885 viewsflimflam

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:20 - May 28 by Herbivore

There is no deal without a backstop.

Then there is just one option then.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:48 - May 28 with 1836 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:23 - May 28 by flimflam

Then there is just one option then.

Military takeover, Rory Stewart installed as puppet PM and Article 50 revoked for a couple of years?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:52 - May 28 with 1829 viewsOldsmoker

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:48 - May 28 by WeWereZombies

Military takeover, Rory Stewart installed as puppet PM and Article 50 revoked for a couple of years?

That would suit me.

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:02 - May 28 with 1799 viewscaught-in-limbo

"With the Brexit party making up a large chunk of far-right malcontents in the EU parliament, the EU now wants shot of the UK and Farage. This will reduce the number of far-right populists within the EU parliament which suits the EU centre parties. "

Probably the 10th time I've posted this on this forum:

Fascism will come in the name of anti-fascism.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:02 - May 28 with 1798 viewspickles110564

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:12 - May 28 by No9

It is apparent those who want the UK to leave the EU don't understand the process nor what comes next.
There is a lot of glib talk about going to WTO rules without understanding the other members calll the shots NOT the UK. This government has shown it is incapable of negotiating with 27 other countries what chance has it got of negotiating with more than 100, including some who are hostile?

We are thick as you remoaners keep alluding.
Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:04 - May 28 with 1791 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:03 - May 28 by Oldsmoker

No its not.

"That leaves Revoke Article 50 or crash out as the only plausible options because of the time-scale. The new PM ain't going for Revoke, leaving crash out as the last option standing."

I wouldn't worry. Should Brexit ever come to pass, it will be so dilute, it will be practically virtual - but it will still please about half of those demanding Brexit.

#toxic

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:06 - May 28 with 1784 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:52 - May 28 by Oldsmoker

That would suit me.

"Military takeover, Rory Stewart installed as puppet PM and Article 50 revoked for a couple of years?"
"That would suit me".

Like I said: Fascism will come in the name of anti-fascism.

Brexit always was a way to get the people to demand more powers for EU leaders.

a) EU military union and b) police with military powers to an EU federal state near you.
[Post edited 28 May 2019 10:10]

#toxic

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:11 - May 28 with 1763 viewsOldsmoker

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:04 - May 28 by caught-in-limbo

"That leaves Revoke Article 50 or crash out as the only plausible options because of the time-scale. The new PM ain't going for Revoke, leaving crash out as the last option standing."

I wouldn't worry. Should Brexit ever come to pass, it will be so dilute, it will be practically virtual - but it will still please about half of those demanding Brexit.

I hope you're right.
My view is that the calibre of our politicians are suited to arguing amongst themselves but when we have to argue on the world stage they've got nothing.

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:15 - May 28 with 1742 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:04 - May 28 by caught-in-limbo

Do you think there is an element of the sorites paradox about it then? That is, Brexit started as a heap of sand and even if you take a single grain away quite frequently for a very long time there will still be a heap of sand there. OK, I will carry on the analogy by saying that the final act of Brexit being withdrawal from the European Union is the equivalent of taking the sand off the beach and putting it in an engine. Then you would be stuck at the beach with a car that did not work. Which would be OK if the sun shone all the time, and global warming could make that possible for a while even in the United Kingdom. However the long term prospect is a greenhouse effect with nothing but clouds. Not that it matters because we will run out of food long before then. Even before that we will have run out of money because the ice cream van will have sensed its monopoly position and put prices up to clean us out before it drives off to the next beach where someone thought it was a good idea to put sand in the engine.

Still, there will be no shortage of seawater if we feel like drowning ourselves. There - we've taken back control.

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:16 - May 28 with 1736 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:11 - May 28 by Oldsmoker

I hope you're right.
My view is that the calibre of our politicians are suited to arguing amongst themselves but when we have to argue on the world stage they've got nothing.

I hope I'm right too. What I fear is that the EU we will end up with is going to be worse than a no deal Brexit.

In reality, we have little say in the matter. We are manipulated in such a way that we appear to choose our destiny. It's democracy in appearance, but we're forever moving towards authoritarianism.

#toxic

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:17 - May 28 with 1738 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I get what you are saying but how does that sit with the majority of parliament being adamantly anti-no deal?

Will BoJo or Rees-Mogg act as a dictator against the democratic will (in order to enact the "clear" outcome of the [cough, advisory] referendum)?

Will the Tories actually elect a leader who won't go the no deal route anyway?

I think the outcome is still about as unclear as it was while May continued to bury her head in the sand.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:18 - May 28 with 1738 viewslinhdi

I do not think "no deal" can happen, as it would bring down the government, force an election and the Tories would be almost wiped out by Farage.

I do not think "revoke" can happen as the Tories won't allow it.

There can't be any meaningful negotiations with EU until the autumn now - there's a new Parliament, new commissioners (a bit like agreeing a new cabinet), and they don't restart until after the summer. There is little appetite amongst EU27 to start all over again with us, though. So, if the can is going to be kicked down the road, it is going to be kicked a long way into the distance, as we are the EU's 99th (ish) priority.

So, no outcome is likely. Back to a "no deal" v "no Brexit" referendum, maybe?
Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:20 - May 28 with 1726 viewslinhdi

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 09:12 - May 28 by No9

And China have said they won't do a deal with us if we do a deal with the US. US have said they won't do a deal with us if we do a deal with China - or - crucially - if we do anything that threatens the GFA.

If only we were part of a major trading bloc that has the clout to do deals with both China and the US, plus 60+ other nations too.
Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:22 - May 28 with 1721 viewsPinewoodblue

The EU also have plenty of distractions between now and the end of October with all THREE Presidents due to be replaced.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:24 - May 28 with 1710 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:15 - May 28 by WeWereZombies

Do you think there is an element of the sorites paradox about it then? That is, Brexit started as a heap of sand and even if you take a single grain away quite frequently for a very long time there will still be a heap of sand there. OK, I will carry on the analogy by saying that the final act of Brexit being withdrawal from the European Union is the equivalent of taking the sand off the beach and putting it in an engine. Then you would be stuck at the beach with a car that did not work. Which would be OK if the sun shone all the time, and global warming could make that possible for a while even in the United Kingdom. However the long term prospect is a greenhouse effect with nothing but clouds. Not that it matters because we will run out of food long before then. Even before that we will have run out of money because the ice cream van will have sensed its monopoly position and put prices up to clean us out before it drives off to the next beach where someone thought it was a good idea to put sand in the engine.

Still, there will be no shortage of seawater if we feel like drowning ourselves. There - we've taken back control.

If sorites paradox applies, it's towards an authoritarian EU superstate not an isolated and defunct Britain.

Of course, it won't matter. On the inside, you won't be able to see it for what it is - because the media will dress it up as something different:

#toxic

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:30 - May 28 with 1697 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:18 - May 28 by linhdi

I do not think "no deal" can happen, as it would bring down the government, force an election and the Tories would be almost wiped out by Farage.

I do not think "revoke" can happen as the Tories won't allow it.

There can't be any meaningful negotiations with EU until the autumn now - there's a new Parliament, new commissioners (a bit like agreeing a new cabinet), and they don't restart until after the summer. There is little appetite amongst EU27 to start all over again with us, though. So, if the can is going to be kicked down the road, it is going to be kicked a long way into the distance, as we are the EU's 99th (ish) priority.

So, no outcome is likely. Back to a "no deal" v "no Brexit" referendum, maybe?

Brexit fans won't like this, but Farage is working for the leaders of the next generation EU.

After the Brexit vote 3 years ago, Farage disappeared exactly when Brexiteers needed him most.

He's popped up again and we'll see how things transpire - but I can promise you that the result will be a more autocratic EU which Britain will be very much a part of.

#toxic

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:32 - May 28 with 1691 viewsgiant_stow

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:30 - May 28 by caught-in-limbo

Brexit fans won't like this, but Farage is working for the leaders of the next generation EU.

After the Brexit vote 3 years ago, Farage disappeared exactly when Brexiteers needed him most.

He's popped up again and we'll see how things transpire - but I can promise you that the result will be a more autocratic EU which Britain will be very much a part of.

That's an interesting thought, but *how* is working for the next generation EU?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:35 - May 28 with 1677 viewsWeWereZombies

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:24 - May 28 by caught-in-limbo

If sorites paradox applies, it's towards an authoritarian EU superstate not an isolated and defunct Britain.

Of course, it won't matter. On the inside, you won't be able to see it for what it is - because the media will dress it up as something different:

As the majority of the British media has dressed the European Union up as a bogeyman for the last forty years I am not sure how your conclusion works to the benefit of the European Union in our case.

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:40 - May 28 with 1657 viewscaught-in-limbo

Brexit extension beyond October 31st? on 10:35 - May 28 by WeWereZombies

As the majority of the British media has dressed the European Union up as a bogeyman for the last forty years I am not sure how your conclusion works to the benefit of the European Union in our case.

Disagree.

Criticisms: Silly straight banana bureaucracy. Expensive for Britain to fund other EU states' frivolous transportation networks.

Positives: Peace in Europe. Free movement of people. Good source of funding for medical/educational projects in the UK.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024