Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This kind of tribalism 12:45 - May 28 with 2901 viewsGuthrum

is what I most hate about UK politics. When you are expelled from a party just for voting a different way (and, unlike Heseltine*, he didn't even publicise it beforehand).

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/28/labour-expels-alastair-campbell

* Whose expulsion I also consider unreasonable.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This kind of tribalism on 13:03 - May 28 with 1819 viewsBrixtonBlue

What difference does it make if you brag about it before or after the event?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This kind of tribalism on 13:04 - May 28 with 1824 viewsSwansea_Blue

You're not the only one perplexed and annoyed by it. It does seem odd that AC gets the boot instantly when there have been MPs openly challenging Corbyn/Milne position on Brexit, antisemitic members quietly readmitted to the party, etc.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This kind of tribalism on 13:43 - May 28 with 1760 viewsGuthrum

This kind of tribalism on 13:03 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

IMO very little. But how is it so much worse than the MPs (on both sides of the House) who have been repeatedly voting against their parties' official policy, even against the whip?

In my view, both should be permissible, along with MPs freely changing parties if their views (or those expressed by their constituents) no longer align. It used to be far more the case than now and is a healthy thing.

This kind of tribalism on 13:44 - May 28 with 1744 viewspickles110564

I don't agree with AC but this is so wrong.
This kind of tribalism on 13:51 - May 28 with 1731 viewsN2_Blue

Its ridiculous and Labour are just doing themselves more damge. This decision, made so quickly has really, annoyed me.

I'm Labour through and through as I believe in welfare and looking after your people no matter background or status.

I've almost always voted Labour. I am based in London, however in the euro elections i voted Lib dem because of their stance on Brexit, just as Alastiar Campbell did. If Labour had a clear policy on Brexit I would understand the expulsion more (although still disagree with it) but the fact that Labour don't even have a clear strategy on Brexit or a 2nd referendum makes a complete mockery of this decision.

I hate to do this but have now come to the decision I will not vote Labour again while Jeremy Corbyn is leading the party. He should be 15 pts + ahead in the polls based on the state of government, the fact he isn't says everything.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

This kind of tribalism on 14:15 - May 28 with 1704 viewsBrixtonBlue

This kind of tribalism on 13:43 - May 28 by Guthrum

IMO very little. But how is it so much worse than the MPs (on both sides of the House) who have been repeatedly voting against their parties' official policy, even against the whip?

In my view, both should be permissible, along with MPs freely changing parties if their views (or those expressed by their constituents) no longer align. It used to be far more the case than now and is a healthy thing.

I agree, both should be permissible. The irony is, it was Blair and Campbell who brought in the expulsion rule.

So he's been hoisted by his own petard, somewhat!

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

This kind of tribalism on 14:16 - May 28 with 1693 viewsBrixtonBlue

This kind of tribalism on 13:51 - May 28 by N2_Blue

Its ridiculous and Labour are just doing themselves more damge. This decision, made so quickly has really, annoyed me.

I'm Labour through and through as I believe in welfare and looking after your people no matter background or status.

I've almost always voted Labour. I am based in London, however in the euro elections i voted Lib dem because of their stance on Brexit, just as Alastiar Campbell did. If Labour had a clear policy on Brexit I would understand the expulsion more (although still disagree with it) but the fact that Labour don't even have a clear strategy on Brexit or a 2nd referendum makes a complete mockery of this decision.

I hate to do this but have now come to the decision I will not vote Labour again while Jeremy Corbyn is leading the party. He should be 15 pts + ahead in the polls based on the state of government, the fact he isn't says everything.

You realise this expulsion rule was brought in by Campbell himself (along with Blair)?

This kind of tribalism on 14:18 - May 28 with 1689 viewsStokieBlue

Some "debate" about it in here:

Good to see Labour reacting thoughtfully to criticism of the Dear Leader by Steve_M 28 May 2019 7:36
Definitely not a cult.

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1133248283424509953

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

This kind of tribalism on 14:28 - May 28 with 1667 viewspositivity

the argument is that if you "brag" about it, it encourages other people to follow your lead and damage the party. however it's stupid to expel either of them

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

This kind of tribalism on 15:34 - May 28 with 1608 viewsBrixtonBlue

This kind of tribalism on 14:28 - May 28 by positivity

the argument is that if you "brag" about it, it encourages other people to follow your lead and damage the party. however it's stupid to expel either of them

Although the rule about expelling them was brought in by Campbell himself...

This kind of tribalism on 15:46 - May 28 with 1583 viewspositivity

This kind of tribalism on 15:34 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

Although the rule about expelling them was brought in by Campbell himself...

it was stupid then, it's stupid now!

i like corbyn's policies, but if he continues to retreat into a bunker it'll be bad for the country and the party

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

This kind of tribalism on 15:49 - May 28 with 1570 viewsGuthrum

This kind of tribalism on 14:15 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

I agree, both should be permissible. The irony is, it was Blair and Campbell who brought in the expulsion rule.

I also really don't like what Campbell was part of regarding the politicisation of the Civil Service (or at least them doing overtly political jobs).

This kind of tribalism on 15:49 - May 28 with 1570 viewstractordownsouth

What a crock of sh1t from Corbyn... this is unfortunately why Labour will never get anywhere in this state. At this stage of the political cycle, they should be miles in front of the most incompetent Tory government we have ever seen. But instead they’re going to expel people for expressing views on Brexit that might upset the dear leader, instead of having a coherent position

This is why I’ll not vote labour with them in this current state, which is a shame as a moderate and socially inclusive Labour government is what the country needs to address a lot of our social issues, which are the causes of events such as Brexit.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

This kind of tribalism on 16:22 - May 28 with 1516 viewsBrixtonBlue

This kind of tribalism on 15:49 - May 28 by tractordownsouth

What a crock of sh1t from Corbyn... this is unfortunately why Labour will never get anywhere in this state. At this stage of the political cycle, they should be miles in front of the most incompetent Tory government we have ever seen. But instead they’re going to expel people for expressing views on Brexit that might upset the dear leader, instead of having a coherent position

This is why I’ll not vote labour with them in this current state, which is a shame as a moderate and socially inclusive Labour government is what the country needs to address a lot of our social issues, which are the causes of events such as Brexit.

You're another one completely ignoring the fact that this expulsion rule was brought in by Campbell himself ...and yet you call Corbyn a crock of sh1t for it.

Unbelievable Jeff.

Everyone's so entrenched, no-one's bothered about the facts anymore.

This kind of tribalism on 16:23 - May 28 with 1512 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This kind of tribalism on 15:49 - May 28 by tractordownsouth

When you say leader, I assume youre referring to McDonnell? ;-)

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This kind of tribalism on 16:25 - May 28 with 1501 viewsitfcjoe

This kind of tribalism on 16:22 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

You're another one completely ignoring the fact that this expulsion rule was brought in by Campbell himself ...and yet you call Corbyn a crock of sh1t for it.

Unbelievable Jeff.

Coming from the person downvoting any post slightly critical of Corbyn........yep everyone else is so entrenched

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This kind of tribalism on 16:30 - May 28 with 1490 viewsBrixtonBlue

This kind of tribalism on 16:25 - May 28 by itfcjoe

Coming from the person downvoting any post slightly critical of Corbyn........yep everyone else is so entrenched

I didn't say "everyone else" though did I? I know I'm pretty entrenched myself!

This kind of tribalism on 16:43 - May 28 with 1462 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I’d say that it’s worse before an election as your comments could influence voters in that election, which isn’t the case after the event. I wouldn’t say he bragged about it either

Seems to me a pretty odd approach for a political party which at the end of the day should be trying to garner as much support as possible

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

This kind of tribalism on 16:49 - May 28 with 1437 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Unbelievable Jeff.

You’ve parroted this several times now after someone else linked a tweet in the other thread, however is that definitely actually true?

I’ve had a quick Google and haven’t been able to find anything that actually confirms it, and Owen Jones has this afternoon tweeted about how the rule was used under the Blair administration, but not that they brought it in

Incidentally there was a motion to remove it in the 2018 review of the rules on the basis it was basically being used to witch hunt certain people from the party, but that motion was rejected

This kind of tribalism on 16:55 - May 28 with 1425 viewssparks

This kind of tribalism on 16:30 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

I didn't say "everyone else" though did I? I know I'm pretty entrenched myself!

The leader is quite capable of taking a view on this rather than applying rules by wrote. Especially rules which are shifted for others.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

This kind of tribalism on 17:00 - May 28 with 1412 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

This kind of tribalism on 16:55 - May 28 by sparks

The leader is quite capable of taking a view on this rather than applying rules by wrote. Especially rules which are shifted for others.

And rules which were challenged in 2018

This kind of tribalism on 18:51 - May 28 with 1340 viewsDubtractor

Unbelievable Jeff.

You keep saying this, but do you know, for a fact, that he brought that rule in?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

This kind of tribalism on 19:40 - May 28 with 1290 viewsvapour_trail

It makes the labour leadership look pathetic, frankly.

The Tories removing the whip from heseltine doesn’t remotely compare. This is nonsense, regardless of who brought in the rule, given their failure to punish other misdemeanours.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

This kind of tribalism on 19:51 - May 28 with 1261 viewsSwansea_Blue

This kind of tribalism on 14:15 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

Lol, I didn’t realise that. To be fair to him, he’s dealt with it well from what I’ve heard (and I’m no fan).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This kind of tribalism on 19:55 - May 28 with 1259 viewsN2_Blue

This kind of tribalism on 14:16 - May 28 by BrixtonBlue

You realise this expulsion rule was brought in by Campbell himself (along with Blair)?

I'm not disputing the rule whoever brought it in you annoying parrot!

I'm saying Labour's decision is ridiculous in the circumstances and based on why AC voted as he did.

Considering much Labour support will have tactically voted in the way AC did, expelling him from the party just further alienates their own support. I's just ridiculous and foolish.

JC is slowly ripping Labour apart to the point they are not going to be anywhere near winning the next GC when any other leader of the opposition to the current government would stroll it with their eyes shut.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024