Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Cleese... 22:57 - May 29 with 5078 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...struggling to work out what point he is trying to make here?

Is he slow at noticing things?

Is he a hypocrite?

Is he bitter?

Is he an immigrant, complaining about the impact of immigrants?

Or is he just a troll?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48451384

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

John Cleese... on 23:01 - May 29 with 2831 viewsJ2BLUE

That London is a very diverse city. Some love it, some don't like it so much.

*shrug*

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

John Cleese... on 23:01 - May 29 with 2832 viewsCoastalblue

I think he's just a man who grew up in a different time and in a very different way to most people who struggles to adapt to what the world has become and probably views things through rose tinted glasses.

I love living in London (I never ever thought I would say that) and the diversity is a big part of that.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

John Cleese... on 23:04 - May 29 with 2821 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

John Cleese... on 23:01 - May 29 by J2BLUE

That London is a very diverse city. Some love it, some don't like it so much.

*shrug*

It's been diverse for 50 years, he must be very slow!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

John Cleese... on 23:04 - May 29 with 2815 viewsDubtractor

Reminded me of this character.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

John Cleese... on 23:06 - May 29 with 2808 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

John Cleese... on 23:01 - May 29 by Coastalblue

I think he's just a man who grew up in a different time and in a very different way to most people who struggles to adapt to what the world has become and probably views things through rose tinted glasses.

I love living in London (I never ever thought I would say that) and the diversity is a big part of that.

It's been diverse for decades, why has he only just noticed?

And he complains about it as a man who lives as an immigrant.

Sad.

John Cleese... on 23:30 - May 29 with 2772 viewsBrixtonBlue

John Cleese... on 23:06 - May 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

Sad.

Did you actually read the article you linked? He quite clearly states it's nothing to do with race.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

John Cleese... on 23:32 - May 29 with 2767 viewsjaykay

John Cleese... on 23:06 - May 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

Sad.

yep he must have not seen the maltese, irish, west indians etc, in the 50s

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

John Cleese... on 23:40 - May 29 with 2751 viewsSarge

I think he’s probably got a point. It’s a place really that if you have money it’s great for you but if you don’t you’re not welcome. It’s also full of global brands and chains that make it hard to distinguish it from other big cities, Paris, New York etc.

Landmarks aside, if I didn’t live here and was instead a tourist from abroad, I’m not sure what I’d get in London that I couldn’t get elsewhere.
Login to get fewer ads

John Cleese... on 23:42 - May 29 with 2743 viewsSwansea_Blue

That is a truly dreadful article. BBC should hang its head in shame over the way it's going. It's supposed to be a quality national broadcaster . This is tabloid clickbait crap.

No idea what Cleese was up to. Nothing to do with race apparently. OK, what about the weird reference to Brexit at the end? It all sounds a bit like dog whistling to me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

John Cleese... on 00:28 - May 30 with 2702 viewsMelford

John Cleese... on 23:04 - May 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

It's been diverse for 50 years, he must be very slow!

It's been diverse for hundreds and hundreds of years, it's always had people coming in from all over the place. People have always wanted to come to seek their fortune by coming to London.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

John Cleese... on 05:40 - May 30 with 2581 viewsRyorry

John Cleese... on 00:28 - May 30 by Melford

It's been diverse for hundreds and hundreds of years, it's always had people coming in from all over the place. People have always wanted to come to seek their fortune by coming to London.

Bloody Romans, coming here, taking over our jobs, our roads, our washing facilities etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

John Cleese... on 06:58 - May 30 with 2526 viewsballycastle

John Cleese... on 23:40 - May 29 by Sarge

I think he’s probably got a point. It’s a place really that if you have money it’s great for you but if you don’t you’re not welcome. It’s also full of global brands and chains that make it hard to distinguish it from other big cities, Paris, New York etc.

Landmarks aside, if I didn’t live here and was instead a tourist from abroad, I’m not sure what I’d get in London that I couldn’t get elsewhere.

'I’m not sure what I’d get in London that I couldn’t get elsewhere.'

TB? Asbestosis from the tube?
John Cleese... on 07:48 - May 30 with 2438 viewscrunchie1978

I think the point hes trying to make is that it's become so diverse its evolved to a point where he doesnt recognize it to how he remembers it.
John Cleese... on 07:52 - May 30 with 2420 viewsfooters

John Cleese... on 07:48 - May 30 by crunchie1978

I think the point hes trying to make is that it's become so diverse its evolved to a point where he doesnt recognize it to how he remembers it.

I wonder if the locals where he lives think the same about him and his kind? Bloody chalkies, comin' over here...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

John Cleese... on 08:33 - May 30 with 2326 viewscrunchie1978

John Cleese... on 07:52 - May 30 by footers

I wonder if the locals where he lives think the same about him and his kind? Bloody chalkies, comin' over here...

Maybe they do and he beats them orf with a broken branch!
John Cleese... on 08:39 - May 30 with 2310 viewsbrazil1982

I'm waiting for some of our regular posters to call him a racist/fascist.
John Cleese... on 08:45 - May 30 with 2294 viewscrunchie1978

John Cleese... on 08:39 - May 30 by brazil1982

I'm waiting for some of our regular posters to call him a racist/fascist.

You'll have to wait its half term and they int up yet!
John Cleese... on 08:52 - May 30 with 2273 viewseireblue

John Cleese... on 05:40 - May 30 by Ryorry

Bloody Romans, coming here, taking over our jobs, our roads, our washing facilities etc.

Rule Britannia
John Cleese... on 08:57 - May 30 with 2257 viewsHerbivore

John Cleese... on 23:01 - May 29 by Coastalblue

Think this is pretty much it, although the phrasing he's used leaves it more than open to interpretation in other ways.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

John Cleese... on 09:03 - May 30 with 2243 viewseireblue

John Cleese... on 08:45 - May 30 by crunchie1978

You'll have to wait its half term and they int up yet!

Well I am hoping the posters that put down other posters for having an opinion on the UK, when they don’t live here, will be along soon, to condemn John for expressing an opinion on the UK when he doesn’t live here.

Massive hypocrisy, if this point isn’t made by those people.

Only a cockwomble would downvote this.
John Cleese... on 09:04 - May 30 with 2245 viewsGuthrum

John Cleese... on 07:48 - May 30 by crunchie1978

But why pick out racial diversity as the most significant thing which has changed? 60 years ago vehicles look significantly different, the composition of shops in the High Street (if there are any nowadays) have changed. Many people worked in large factories and mines, office desks back then had no computers, notepads for handwriting and often not even a telephone.

Go back another 60 years and vehicles were still horse-drawn, Steam trains were king. Aeroplanes had not yet been invented.

60 years before that and you're at the start of of Queen Victoria's reign. 60 years again and the War of American Independence is at its height.

Two more jumps and you're nearly back to the English Civil War.

Things can and do change unrecogniseably in a single lifetime.
[Post edited 30 May 2019 9:09]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

John Cleese... on 09:15 - May 30 with 2212 viewsHerbivore

John Cleese... on 09:04 - May 30 by Guthrum

But why pick out racial diversity as the most significant thing which has changed? 60 years ago vehicles look significantly different, the composition of shops in the High Street (if there are any nowadays) have changed. Many people worked in large factories and mines, office desks back then had no computers, notepads for handwriting and often not even a telephone.

Go back another 60 years and vehicles were still horse-drawn, Steam trains were king. Aeroplanes had not yet been invented.

60 years before that and you're at the start of of Queen Victoria's reign. 60 years again and the War of American Independence is at its height.

And I'm not sure Cleese is necessarily consciously targeting racial diversity himself. I think as you say it's more an issue that the world has changed a lot in 60 years and he's feeling all misty eyed about 'the good old days'.

I think where he runs into a little bit of bother is in using Englishness as some sort of fixed characteristic. When used in this way it can carry certain racial connotations which is why he's getting some backlash. It may be that on some level diversity is a part of what Cleese doesn't like now, which is why he's focusing on Englishness. Or he might naively believe that Englishness describes a set of completely non-racial behaviours and qualities that everyone exhibited when he was a lad. Of course that's just pure fantasy. What it means to be English differs from person to person and across time.

Either way, chalk this up as him being a bit of a daft old berk.
[Post edited 30 May 2019 9:16]

John Cleese... on 09:22 - May 30 with 2192 viewsGuthrum

John Cleese... on 09:15 - May 30 by Herbivore

And I'm not sure Cleese is necessarily consciously targeting racial diversity himself. I think as you say it's more an issue that the world has changed a lot in 60 years and he's feeling all misty eyed about 'the good old days'.

I think where he runs into a little bit of bother is in using Englishness as some sort of fixed characteristic. When used in this way it can carry certain racial connotations which is why he's getting some backlash. It may be that on some level diversity is a part of what Cleese doesn't like now, which is why he's focusing on Englishness. Or he might naively believe that Englishness describes a set of completely non-racial behaviours and qualities that everyone exhibited when he was a lad. Of course that's just pure fantasy. What it means to be English differs from person to person and across time.

Either way, chalk this up as him being a bit of a daft old berk.
[Post edited 30 May 2019 9:16]

Quite apart from the fact that Cleese and his mates were themselves directly agents of the change in attitudes from the 1960s onwards.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

John Cleese... on 09:23 - May 30 with 2180 viewsHerbivore

John Cleese... on 09:22 - May 30 by Guthrum

Quite apart from the fact that Cleese and his mates were themselves directly agents of the change in attitudes from the 1960s onwards.

Well, indeed. Time changes people too.

John Cleese... on 09:24 - May 30 with 2182 viewscrunchie1978

John Cleese... on 09:04 - May 30 by Guthrum

But you could argue that the most radical change he has personally witnessed could be racial diversity.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024