Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. 10:49 - May 30 with 3703 viewsMattinLondon

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/may/30/bigmouth-strikes-again-morrissey-s
Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:03 - May 30 with 2780 viewsBrixtonBlue

I gave up when I got to "he has flirted with the far right and fascist imagery — wrapping himself up in the union jack, writing a song called The National Front Disco."

The author must be an idiot if they think that's a song promoting the far right, racist or fascist imagery. Have they even read the lyrics or tried to understand it? Or, as I suspect, have they just read the title and jumped on it?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:04 - May 30 with 2771 viewscrunchie1978

Hes 100% correct.
Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:06 - May 30 with 2763 viewsHerbivore

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:03 - May 30 by BrixtonBlue

I gave up when I got to "he has flirted with the far right and fascist imagery — wrapping himself up in the union jack, writing a song called The National Front Disco."

The author must be an idiot if they think that's a song promoting the far right, racist or fascist imagery. Have they even read the lyrics or tried to understand it? Or, as I suspect, have they just read the title and jumped on it?

You have a massive blind spot on this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:10 - May 30 with 2745 viewsOldsmoker

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:06 - May 30 by Herbivore

I'm miserable now.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:13 - May 30 with 2738 viewsHerbivore

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:04 - May 30 by crunchie1978

Hes 100% correct.

Morrissey or the journalist?

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:20 - May 30 with 2722 viewsBrixtonBlue

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:06 - May 30 by Herbivore

I don't have a blind spot. I know he says some objectionable things.

Now, do you not agree with my post in this thread?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:26 - May 30 with 2698 viewsWeWereZombies

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:03 - May 30 by BrixtonBlue

Well, one of The Smiths songs did include the line 'Hang the DJ' didn't it? Waiting to discover that that was about tidying up after a black tie event now.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:38 - May 30 with 2660 viewsslump

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:20 - May 30 by BrixtonBlue

I think that his language and behaviour makes him a racist. You don't.

True to form you will argue that this isn't the case with whoever but on this particular subject you do unfortunately have a blind spot. If it were a Tory politician that was consistently being questioned in this way, you'd be all over it.

UTT

Login to get fewer ads

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:38 - May 30 with 2656 viewsHerbivore

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:20 - May 30 by BrixtonBlue

You do have a blind spot. It's evident in the way you've phrased that very post.

I read the whole article, so not really that fussed about it taking a song title out of context when weighed against everything else in there.

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:43 - May 30 with 2653 viewsMullet

It's not a good article at all. As soon as you get to the bit about National Front Disco you realise that either the author has no clue who he is writing about, or worse, is deliberately misrepresenting Morrissey to stack up a shaky argument.

I'm a massive Smiths fan, and am loathed to defend Morrissey these days. However, when he has 20-30 years of media slurs and being taken out of context it plays right into his hands. If you read any of his commentary on social media and rebuttals, they're typically grandiose and withering but also show how hard it is to pin him down and hold him accountable.

The stuff about the iconography of nationalism, juxtaposed with the praise for what the author calls solidarity of the marginalised shows the hypocrisy and blind spots here from the guardian.

There is a legitimate argument that Morrissey's intelligence, alienation, sense of class and inequality makes him prime recruitment fodder for the far right, but it is obscured by tripe like this which tries to force the verdict on him first rather than examine the evidence.

The reggae stuff for example would be better explored, especially if it wasn't in response to the overt racism and homophobia that comes out of Jamaican reggae, dancehall etc. even to this day. The article obscures that issue too it seems.

There are decades of stupid, vicious and conflicting comments from Morrissey which deserve criticism and proper scrutiny. However, to do a hack job like this every time he releases something strikes me more as a cynical exercise in clickbait from a paper who probably has a massive overlap with his fans its readership.

Here's National Front Disco below, the idea he is doing anything but mocking, sneering at and lamenting those he probably sees as similar to him in some ways being recruited and ending up pathetic lost wretches is crystal clear.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:46 - May 30 with 2625 viewsBrixtonBlue

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:38 - May 30 by slump

I think that his language and behaviour makes him a racist. You don't.

True to form you will argue that this isn't the case with whoever but on this particular subject you do unfortunately have a blind spot. If it were a Tory politician that was consistently being questioned in this way, you'd be all over it.

What part of "I know he says some objectionable things" are you struggling with?

Would anyone like to discuss what I've actually said in this thread, rather than what they want me to say?

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:47 - May 30 with 2615 viewsHerbivore

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:46 - May 30 by BrixtonBlue

What part of "I know he says some objectionable things" are you struggling with?

Would anyone like to discuss what I've actually said in this thread, rather than what they want me to say?

"He says some objectionable things" is pretty weak though. In the past you've gone to great lengths to distance his actual beliefs from those views.

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:50 - May 30 with 2597 viewsBrixtonBlue

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:47 - May 30 by Herbivore

"He says some objectionable things" is pretty weak though. In the past you've gone to great lengths to distance his actual beliefs from those views.

Mullet's put my view far more eloquently above, why don't you have a pop at him?

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 12:00 - May 30 with 2554 viewsDarth_Koont

Love the Smiths, hate what Morrissey has become.

He's always been troubled and confused by identity which is at the heart of his lyrics for the Smiths - and it's what makes those words so powerful. I don't think he's ever resolved any of that - and fame has just made him lonely and confused in a different way. So it's not really surprising that it's morphed into more serious and political stuff as he's got older but not wiser, and given a platform to air his views.

It taints listening to his earlier stuff but not enough to stop listening to him and especially Marr. And he's so awful now it almost deepens how at odds he was with himself and others during the Smiths years.

Same goes for his appalling writing too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 12:00 - May 30 with 2544 viewsHerbivore

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:50 - May 30 by BrixtonBlue

Mullet's put my view far more eloquently above, why don't you have a pop at him?

Because I'd responded to you before he posted. There's no need for us to go round on this again though. You do have a huge blindspot when it comes to Morrissey because of your admiration for him as an artist.

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 12:38 - May 30 with 2467 viewscrunchie1978

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 11:13 - May 30 by Herbivore

Morrissey or the journalist?

Mozza has done nothing wrong....hes only triggered the easily triggered.
Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 12:39 - May 30 with 2462 viewsHerbivore

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 12:38 - May 30 by crunchie1978

Mozza has done nothing wrong....hes only triggered the easily triggered.

Lol.

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 12:42 - May 30 with 2451 viewscrunchie1978

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 12:39 - May 30 by Herbivore

Lol.

Some scousers are more easily triggered than others!
Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 13:17 - May 30 with 2378 viewsBrixtonBlue

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 12:00 - May 30 by Herbivore

Because I'd responded to you before he posted. There's no need for us to go round on this again though. You do have a huge blindspot when it comes to Morrissey because of your admiration for him as an artist.

His post has been up ages now and you still haven't challenged it, despite him saying far more than I've said.

Another case of ad hominem, or merely seeing my name and looking for trouble?

I've said he says some questionable things, so where is my blind spot? Boris Johnson says some questionable things, so does Prince Philip. Do I have a blind spot with them too?

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 13:20 - May 30 with 2367 viewsHerbivore

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 13:17 - May 30 by BrixtonBlue

His post has been up ages now and you still haven't challenged it, despite him saying far more than I've said.

Another case of ad hominem, or merely seeing my name and looking for trouble?

I've said he says some questionable things, so where is my blind spot? Boris Johnson says some questionable things, so does Prince Philip. Do I have a blind spot with them too?

Did you recently learn the term ad hominem? You seem awfully fond of it.

I've said my piece and don't have anything further to add really.

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 13:26 - May 30 with 2344 viewsBrixtonBlue

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 13:20 - May 30 by Herbivore

Did you recently learn the term ad hominem? You seem awfully fond of it.

I've said my piece and don't have anything further to add really.

LOL

Point proven.

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 13:29 - May 30 with 2329 viewsHerbivore

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 13:26 - May 30 by BrixtonBlue

LOL

Point proven.

You were making a point? Enjoy your day, sweetcheeks.

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 13:49 - May 30 with 2289 viewsSpruceMoose

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 12:42 - May 30 by crunchie1978

Some scousers are more easily triggered than others!

Like the one's who had family killed at Hillsborough?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 14:19 - May 30 with 2233 viewscrunchie1978

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 13:49 - May 30 by SpruceMoose

Like the one's who had family killed at Hillsborough?

No....not like them at all.
Truly shocking swerve even for you spruce.
Pathetic!
Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 14:24 - May 30 with 2218 viewsBrixtonBlue

Bigmouth strikes again. And it’s not good. on 13:29 - May 30 by Herbivore

You were making a point? Enjoy your day, sweetcheeks.

And then resort to childishness...

You're acting really odd today, Herbs. You're normally one of the more sensible posters.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024