Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? 11:10 - May 30 with 1922 viewsWeWereZombies

To make matters worse he likes cricket and is an umpire.

From 'Dickie Bird's Britain' (page 46) about a trip to Wembley, 29th of May, 2000 (I know, I should have got my act together and posted this yesterday like I meant to):

'Even so, it was a great day. If we had to lose to anybody, Ipswich were the team. As in Bobby Robson's day, they are trying to play football the right way and their supporters are amongst the best in the country. You never hear of Town fans involved in any trouble. They are super. As far as rival fans are concerned, that Wembley final must have been one of the friendliest ever.'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 14:27 - May 30 with 1721 viewsRyorry

One of the nicest things is that that good feeling between the fans of the two clubs continues to this day.

Posted on Twitter recently congratulating them on their promotion & recalling that good-natured final; got heaps of lovely good wishes back, including from poet & fan Ian MacMillan.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 14:30 - May 30 with 1705 viewsActionMan

Top day, top fans. They managed to get promoted a few seasons earlier too for what was one of their better spells as a club after everyone wrote them off.
Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 14:31 - May 30 with 1694 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It did have a friendly feel about it.

I think the fact they hadn't expected to get there and that we had already got used to play-off disappointment but were confident against them all helped.

Their fans that I saw on that day were great. And Dickie was great if what was shown on TV was an accurate portrayal of the true him.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 15:40 - May 30 with 1579 viewsChateauWines

Many fond memories of visiting Oakwell. Tripped over walking to ground down a hill totally sober a few seasons back. A proper old boy Barnsley fan (wearing flat cap) turned to his grandson and said in broad Yorkshire accent, “Hey up lad, that’s what happens when you follow Ipswich!” Couldn’t really argue. Love the Oakwell cafe near ground

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 16:06 - May 30 with 1498 viewsMelford

I met him in the Barnsley museum the last time we played up there. Lovely bloke.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 16:39 - May 30 with 1424 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 16:06 - May 30 by Melford

I met him in the Barnsley museum the last time we played up there. Lovely bloke.

Bloody hell. They've put him in a museum?

I know he's knocking on a bit but that's taking the p*ss.
[Post edited 30 May 2019 16:39]

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 16:43 - May 30 with 1410 viewsHerbivore

Likewise, their fans were superb that day. After the game there was no animosity, just lots of well wishes and congratulations from them. It all added to a cracking day.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 18:54 - May 30 with 1262 viewsWeWereZombies

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 16:39 - May 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

On a, sort of, connected note - when I was checking Dickie Bird's Wikipedia page to make sure that he was still with us I noticed that there is a statue of him in Barnsley with his trademark 'finger raised to denote a wicket falling'. The statue later had to be put on a five foot high plinth because late night revellers kept hanging inappropriate items on the finger.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:07 - May 30 with 1221 viewsChurchman

We enjoyed a few beers with some Barnsley people after the game and had a great time. They’re a good set of lads and lasses
[Post edited 30 May 2019 19:50]
Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 20:33 - May 30 with 1094 viewsMelford

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 16:39 - May 30 by WarkTheWarkITFC

There was a Dickie Bird exhibition on at the museum that I was keen to check out, as I was mooching round it a girl from the museum walked over and said "he's in the next room if you want to meet him". I legged it back to the hotel, grabbed my book of his which was my reading material for the weekend and went and met Dickie, we had a good chat about the football, he thought I was a Barnsley fan. I didn't have the heart to interrupt and correct him. My grandad played cricket at Shaw Lane for Barnsley in the same team as Dickie, Michael Parkinson and a young Sir Geoffrey. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/how-we-met-michael-parkinson-an

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 20:53 - May 30 with 1065 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Interested in someone from Barnsley on Ipswich supporters? on 16:43 - May 30 by Herbivore

Likewise, their fans were superb that day. After the game there was no animosity, just lots of well wishes and congratulations from them. It all added to a cracking day.

Not wanting to spoil the love in but.....
https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2016-06-24/barnsley-votes-to-leave-the-
......Lexit central! (68/32)

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024