Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Youth football - yellow/red cards? 15:10 - May 31 with 1602 viewsIllinoisblue

in youth football in the UK, do refs hand out cards at U9 or U10 level? My U9 team played in the week - a 3-1 away win since you were wondering - and the opposing coach did not care for our hustling, pressing style of football. He was chirping all game about our alleged fouls and then lost his s5it completely when his own kid got fouled right in front of the benches. He jumped up and was demanding a yellow card. it was absolutely a foul, clumsy not malicious, the ref gave a free-kick and that's where it should have ended. But this guy spent the rest of the game screaming for cards to be shown. Can't wait for the rematch in the last game of the season!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:12 - May 31 with 1585 viewsSpruceMoose

As an american, shouldn't you have slapped him across the face with a goalie glove and demanded satisfaction by duel?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:14 - May 31 with 1578 viewsHolyGoalie

Name yourself as a sub, make the most of your 10 seconds like this chap did

Ipswich by the grace of gloves

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:15 - May 31 with 1577 viewsMullet

This is why I'm dreading my boy wanting to play football in a few years. Blokes like that need launching.

When I reffed at that kind of age group I never even took cards, let alone used them. I think I once made a manager sub a player in a 5 a side because he lost his rag at missing an open goal and started Scholesing every kid in sight.

Apart from that, adults should be able to use common sense in these sort of situations.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:25 - May 31 with 1535 viewsGlebeTractor

To awsner your question. They can, but it's not really done. Even up to around U16 level at Col Utd, you dont see cards, you see a stern word of warning and sometimes a sub (a lot of that level is rolling), it's a bit silly.

You'll also find that if parents at U12-U16 level at pro-clubs show dissent, foul or abusive laungage, their kids place with that team is terminated.

Cards really only start happeing from 18 upwards... but by law... its a different story.

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:33 - May 31 with 1518 viewsIllinoisblue

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:14 - May 31 by HolyGoalie

Name yourself as a sub, make the most of your 10 seconds like this chap did

haha, the only good thing he's ever done!

62 - 78 - 81

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:35 - May 31 with 1510 viewsIllinoisblue

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:15 - May 31 by Mullet

This is why I'm dreading my boy wanting to play football in a few years. Blokes like that need launching.

When I reffed at that kind of age group I never even took cards, let alone used them. I think I once made a manager sub a player in a 5 a side because he lost his rag at missing an open goal and started Scholesing every kid in sight.

Apart from that, adults should be able to use common sense in these sort of situations.

he was so OTT it was incredible. Wasn't sure to laugh at or argue with him. Also relevant: the ref was a young kid reffing her first game ever. Got to try and help the refs, not scream and shout at them. As ever, it's the adults who ruin it!

62 - 78 - 81

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:36 - May 31 with 1504 viewsIllinoisblue

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:12 - May 31 by SpruceMoose

As an american, shouldn't you have slapped him across the face with a goalie glove and demanded satisfaction by duel?

muskets drawn! Although he opted not to line up for the end of game handshakes. What a tool.

62 - 78 - 81

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:38 - May 31 with 1501 viewsIllinoisblue

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:25 - May 31 by GlebeTractor

To awsner your question. They can, but it's not really done. Even up to around U16 level at Col Utd, you dont see cards, you see a stern word of warning and sometimes a sub (a lot of that level is rolling), it's a bit silly.

You'll also find that if parents at U12-U16 level at pro-clubs show dissent, foul or abusive laungage, their kids place with that team is terminated.

Cards really only start happeing from 18 upwards... but by law... its a different story.

yeah, I've never seen it or even considered cards would be a thing at this age group. As you say, if it's really that bad, just have a word in the player's ear or call the coach over to calm things down.

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:44 - May 31 with 1486 viewsflimflam

They can at any age group but I have yet to see any up to U14.

Next season all youth leagues are being told to introduce sin bin by the FA which I have to go to a meeting about with the FA in a couple of weeks. I guess for the above reason not enough cards get given out so my guess it will require sitting out for 10 minutes and causing your team to play with a man / girl down.

Might be a good idea but guess time will tell.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:45 - May 31 with 1481 viewsLesta_Tractor

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:33 - May 31 by Illinoisblue

haha, the only good thing he's ever done!

Don't forget the children trampling rugby match...

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 16:33 - May 31 with 1413 viewsGlebeTractor

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:44 - May 31 by flimflam

They can at any age group but I have yet to see any up to U14.

Next season all youth leagues are being told to introduce sin bin by the FA which I have to go to a meeting about with the FA in a couple of weeks. I guess for the above reason not enough cards get given out so my guess it will require sitting out for 10 minutes and causing your team to play with a man / girl down.

Might be a good idea but guess time will tell.

Sinbins- across the board up to Bostik Level are being introduced for dissent cautions only.

Poll: Was that the worst game you've been to? If not, what was?

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 16:43 - May 31 with 1399 viewsOsborneOneNil

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 15:38 - May 31 by Illinoisblue

yeah, I've never seen it or even considered cards would be a thing at this age group. As you say, if it's really that bad, just have a word in the player's ear or call the coach over to calm things down.

My lads team had a summer tournament last year, U-9's then, and one of his team mates received a straight red.

Basically lost it and booted one of their lads whilst nowhere near the ball. He has issues, by the way.
Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 17:34 - May 31 with 1331 viewsSamWhiteUK

We didn't have cards until about... 14?

Saw a few yellows but only one red. A straight red for an opposing player for racially abusing one of ours.
Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 19:07 - May 31 with 1273 viewsIllinoisblue

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 16:43 - May 31 by OsborneOneNil

My lads team had a summer tournament last year, U-9's then, and one of his team mates received a straight red.

Basically lost it and booted one of their lads whilst nowhere near the ball. He has issues, by the way.

that's unfortunate to be that angry and undisciplined at that age

62 - 78 - 81

Youth football - yellow/red cards? on 19:08 - May 31 with 1272 viewsDurovigutum

Under 9s and under 10s use the same mini soccer rules as under 7 and under 8 but with seven players and a bigger pitch. This means no cards.

At under 11 they go to 9 a side, offsides, cards and so on but the games are non-competitive with no results recorded and no league tables. Cards do not attract fines and it's club referees.

As someone who occasionally referees youth games (every one of my son's u9s at home) the biggest weapon in your arsenal is "safeguarding".

Excuse me Mr Opposition Coach, your conduct is leading me to have safeguarding concerns that I may have to report to the local FA.

I've never used it, it's sort of the nuclear option as they'll either shut up and not speak again or go off on one at you. If the latter I'd probably follow through with the threat but I just don't seem to encounter these characters....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024