Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? 18:12 - May 31 with 6514 viewsActionMan

The general view was that our baseline squad is good enough to go up automatically but for me the Sunderland thing goes to show how hard it could be, and with Charlton and Sheffield United spending a bit of time down there as well shows it is not as easy as it was say when the likes of QPR, Manchester City dropped in the 90's or in the last decade with Norwich, Southampton and Leicester for example.

Is the TWTD view we're still going up or have we balanced out a bit since the drop?

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:15 - May 31 with 3895 viewsSomethingBlue

I don't think we will romp it at all and there are always surprises but I'd be disappointed if we weren't around the top three or four. We have much more going for us than almost anyone in the division and will have had a long enough pre-season to make it count.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:15 - May 31 with 3884 viewsSuperblue95

I think we will finish somewhere in the top 6. Any lower than that would be a very poor season

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:18 - May 31 with 3868 viewsActionMan

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:15 - May 31 by SomethingBlue

I don't think we will romp it at all and there are always surprises but I'd be disappointed if we weren't around the top three or four. We have much more going for us than almost anyone in the division and will have had a long enough pre-season to make it count.

Our competition will be Sunderland, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Doncaster and Bolton if they get their act together, fringe teams Coventry, Peterborough and Burton. Blackpool have also started to get their act together too. Sunderland will likely go all out this season to go up as champs surely.
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:20 - May 31 with 3858 viewsActionMan

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:15 - May 31 by Superblue95

I think we will finish somewhere in the top 6. Any lower than that would be a very poor season

Any lower than that could potentially be club killing. To not go up will be damning enough but to finish outside the top 6 next season will surely see our ST income half the year after, I am not sure how many of us will still back project Evans after that!
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:20 - May 31 with 3861 viewsBLUEBEAT

I have to say that the Sunderland squad that was relegated from the Championship and the revised League One squad are a superior team to the relegated Ipswich squad.

I think it’s going to be a hard slog of a campaign.

I just hope, for Lambert’s sake, that we get off to a flyer or things could get very nasty very soon.

Poll: W or W

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:21 - May 31 with 3856 viewskeanekipper

It’s a hard league tied in with the club has a losing culture which is very hard to get rid of, I would be happy with a play off challenge with a view of keeping the young team together for a promotion challenge the following season. First 10 games have never been more vital I don’t think, get a lot of wins we could win it with a young confident team, start indifferently could be a very long hard slog.
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:24 - May 31 with 3839 viewsActionMan

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:20 - May 31 by BLUEBEAT

I have to say that the Sunderland squad that was relegated from the Championship and the revised League One squad are a superior team to the relegated Ipswich squad.

I think it’s going to be a hard slog of a campaign.

I just hope, for Lambert’s sake, that we get off to a flyer or things could get very nasty very soon.

I hope we don't start changing the manager every season too. You need to give him some time to get it right. Lambert hasn't been at fault for what's happened over the last decade, thats at Evans door, and he's certainly not starting from the strongest position having inherited a squad that was relegated in its own mind before he arrived in my view.
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:27 - May 31 with 3831 viewsHARRY10

As it stands will will not make much impact. We were not rock bottom for no reason and last seasons two cup games against lower league opposition underpinned how poor we were.

Much will depend on who comes in as the idea that a squad who struggled last season is just going to turn things around is being rather naive'.

Stoke were last seasons favourites to win the title. Where did Swansea finish ?

We need to go into this season with our eyes wide open. It is not going to be the 'stroll in the park' some imagine.
Login to get fewer ads

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:28 - May 31 with 3815 viewsActionMan

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:21 - May 31 by keanekipper

It’s a hard league tied in with the club has a losing culture which is very hard to get rid of, I would be happy with a play off challenge with a view of keeping the young team together for a promotion challenge the following season. First 10 games have never been more vital I don’t think, get a lot of wins we could win it with a young confident team, start indifferently could be a very long hard slog.

Just out of interest given that we'll be relying on a few youth team products to take us up in Downes, Lankester, Dozzell, Bishop, Kenlock and Emanuel - has any other team made a success of it at this level with that many youth team products in the side? Would be interesting to see on average how many home grown players the promoted L1 teams have had over the last few seasons and compare it with our squad on paper.

I certainly don't recall any Championship team worth its salt who went up in recent years with an abundance of youth team players in it, obviously the top Premiership teams have next to none in their sides.
[Post edited 31 May 2019 18:34]
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:33 - May 31 with 3788 viewsActionMan

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:27 - May 31 by HARRY10

As it stands will will not make much impact. We were not rock bottom for no reason and last seasons two cup games against lower league opposition underpinned how poor we were.

Much will depend on who comes in as the idea that a squad who struggled last season is just going to turn things around is being rather naive'.

Stoke were last seasons favourites to win the title. Where did Swansea finish ?

We need to go into this season with our eyes wide open. It is not going to be the 'stroll in the park' some imagine.

We've seen how bad we were in the cup but we haven't taken those games as seriously as we should in my view.

I think the danger of not going up is Evans will lose a lot of goodwill and naturally impact the finances further, especially as he seems to want to make the club as cost effective as possible.
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:58 - May 31 with 3701 viewsgtsb

Ask the question in August. We'll have a different team by then.
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:05 - May 31 with 3677 viewsCaptMickMills

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:28 - May 31 by ActionMan

Just out of interest given that we'll be relying on a few youth team products to take us up in Downes, Lankester, Dozzell, Bishop, Kenlock and Emanuel - has any other team made a success of it at this level with that many youth team products in the side? Would be interesting to see on average how many home grown players the promoted L1 teams have had over the last few seasons and compare it with our squad on paper.

I certainly don't recall any Championship team worth its salt who went up in recent years with an abundance of youth team players in it, obviously the top Premiership teams have next to none in their sides.

Barnsley got promoted last season with a team average age 24!!!
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:08 - May 31 with 3665 viewsSteve_D

Mid table , people under estimate this division
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:14 - May 31 with 3648 viewsIllinoisblue

a good start is crucial to restore some confidence. All we've done for 18 months is lose.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:16 - May 31 with 3644 viewsipswichtillidie

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:05 - May 31 by CaptMickMills

Barnsley got promoted last season with a team average age 24!!!

For me nothing less than promotion would suffice. Play offs or not other than Sunderland we are the biggest team in the division and expectations should be high and rightly so. Lambert has had half a season already and should know by now what he needs to get us going. I like everything he’s done since his arrived but he has still yet to find that winning formula and as mentioned above will need to get out of the blocks fairly quickly next season. Looks like we will get most of our business done early this summer and bedding the new players in will be key. The likes of Bishop, Downes and even Dozzell need to step up and turn that potential into performances.

Gav

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:24 - May 31 with 3617 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:08 - May 31 by Steve_D

Mid table , people under estimate this division

Play offs.

...some people over estimate this division.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:25 - May 31 with 3618 viewsMrTown

We will not romp League 1. Simple as that.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:29 - May 31 with 3603 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:28 - May 31 by ActionMan

Common sense tells you that its easier for our youth team products to break through in League 1 than the Championship.

And its not like they are fresh out of the box...

Downes - 50+ professional matches.

Kenlock - 60 professional matches.

Bishop - 80 professional matches.

Emmanuel - 80+ professional matches.

Its only really Lankester and Dozzell of the names you mentioned that are coming into this season as 'rookie' players.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:30 - May 31 with 3596 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:16 - May 31 by ipswichtillidie

For me nothing less than promotion would suffice. Play offs or not other than Sunderland we are the biggest team in the division and expectations should be high and rightly so. Lambert has had half a season already and should know by now what he needs to get us going. I like everything he’s done since his arrived but he has still yet to find that winning formula and as mentioned above will need to get out of the blocks fairly quickly next season. Looks like we will get most of our business done early this summer and bedding the new players in will be key. The likes of Bishop, Downes and even Dozzell need to step up and turn that potential into performances.

Lol, I love entitled phrases like this;

"For me nothing less than promotion would suffice."

Are you Marcus Evans?

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:32 - May 31 with 3591 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:33 - May 31 by ActionMan

We've seen how bad we were in the cup but we haven't taken those games as seriously as we should in my view.

I think the danger of not going up is Evans will lose a lot of goodwill and naturally impact the finances further, especially as he seems to want to make the club as cost effective as possible.

I think the good thing about Evans model is that it is consistent.

I dont think his business model would change if we dont get promoted.

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:34 - May 31 with 3572 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:20 - May 31 by ActionMan

Any lower than that could potentially be club killing. To not go up will be damning enough but to finish outside the top 6 next season will surely see our ST income half the year after, I am not sure how many of us will still back project Evans after that!

Its not 'Project Evans'.

Its 'Project Football is f*cked'.

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:37 - May 31 with 3568 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:18 - May 31 by ActionMan

Our competition will be Sunderland, Portsmouth, Rotherham, Doncaster and Bolton if they get their act together, fringe teams Coventry, Peterborough and Burton. Blackpool have also started to get their act together too. Sunderland will likely go all out this season to go up as champs surely.

That depends, Sunderland have bigger money worries than us.

They have a huge wage bill, give away any parachute payments to Ellis Short as part of the deal, and their current owner is worth about £8m.... hes basically a tramp in football money terms.

....they could be in a very bad way if they dont get more investment.

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:43 - May 31 with 3535 viewsHolyGoalie

Sunderland had a stronger team than we do now at the start of the season just gone, so if we romp this league it is going to be down to management above resources, at least as things stand now.

Ipswich by the grace of gloves

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 19:55 - May 31 with 3477 viewsGirthyguy

We will win all 46 games anyone who disagrees is a c.. t
Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 20:13 - May 31 with 3431 viewsReuser_is_God

Do we think we'll romp League One or do a Sunderland? on 18:21 - May 31 by keanekipper

Sunderland went down with a losing culture which they’d had for 5 years.

They then lost 3 games all season in League 1.
[Post edited 31 May 2019 20:13]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024