Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plastics 08:58 - Jun 2 with 4448 viewsFixed_It

Was at a 'do' last week where I overheard two Liverpool 'fans' talk about the CL Final. In hushed tones they confided in eachother that neither had seen them play live nor been to Anfield. I'm sure both are basking in the glory of last night's victory now, but I just don't get it. Surely they never experience the raw emotion that live football brings - the highs and the lows. Personally, I wouldn't want to swap places with them.
Anyone else on here feel the same?
[Post edited 2 Jun 2019 8:58]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Plastics on 09:14 - Jun 2 with 3264 viewstrncbluearmy

A few in Isaacs yesterday and some around Town, strange bunch,personally I'd put em in a minibus and send em to liverpool ,that a teach em.

Surprised not to see any Spurs would understand that more, Ipswich being london overspill nowadays
Plastics on 09:33 - Jun 2 with 3224 viewsSlambo

I didn't really care about watching the game, and I was certainly apprehensive about watching it in town in a pub precisely because I would've been surrounded by glory hunters. They may 'support' a club that has it rigged so they'll get a taste of glory every single season, in perpetuity; but there is nothing better than watching your local side, whom you have a direct, emotional link, snatch whatever glories there are left available to them, surrounded by people just like you. They clearly don't understand that, and their football experience is all the poorer for it...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Plastics on 09:34 - Jun 2 with 3216 viewsSlambo

Plastics on 09:14 - Jun 2 by trncbluearmy

A few in Isaacs yesterday and some around Town, strange bunch,personally I'd put em in a minibus and send em to liverpool ,that a teach em.

Surprised not to see any Spurs would understand that more, Ipswich being london overspill nowadays

Ipswich isn't really London overspill. That was more in places like Haverhill and Sudbury, and even up in Thetford...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Plastics on 09:47 - Jun 2 with 3172 viewsWD19

It’s incomprehensible to me. It’s not like they support the LA Lakers and are afraid to fly. They support a team that plays, regularly, on the small island on which they live.
Plastics on 09:47 - Jun 2 with 3166 viewstrncbluearmy

Plastics on 09:33 - Jun 2 by Slambo

I didn't really care about watching the game, and I was certainly apprehensive about watching it in town in a pub precisely because I would've been surrounded by glory hunters. They may 'support' a club that has it rigged so they'll get a taste of glory every single season, in perpetuity; but there is nothing better than watching your local side, whom you have a direct, emotional link, snatch whatever glories there are left available to them, surrounded by people just like you. They clearly don't understand that, and their football experience is all the poorer for it...

there were not that many about to be honest,quite pleasing, the remark about Ipswich being london overspill was tongue in cheek really.

Given our demise and proximity to london still see very few other shirts around Town
Plastics on 09:47 - Jun 2 with 3159 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't really get it. I'm not sure how you form bonds with a club if you don't go to watch and share joint experiences. Nowt quéer as folk, but if that's what they want to do....

And why on earth is 'quéer' a banned word on here? Talk about overkill
[Post edited 2 Jun 2019 9:49]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Plastics on 09:53 - Jun 2 with 3141 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Indeed. I was at a festival bank holiday weekend in Leicestershire with 2 plastic Utd fans. Next to us were some Forest supporters who had been season ticket holders for donkeys years. Got chatting about footie & had a great weekend chewing the cud about the trials & tribulations of our respective teams, our history, Sir Bobby & Clough, great games against each other, our hopes & dreams.
My plastic mates just didn,t get it, but then, football was only invented in 1991.

The Forest gents had a continuous supply of quality wine too.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Plastics on 09:54 - Jun 2 with 3133 viewsWeWereZombies

And...they can take a thousand years to decompose.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Login to get fewer ads

Plastics on 10:06 - Jun 2 with 3095 viewsLeaky

Modern football I'm afraid. Go to any pub you here the same
Plastics on 10:09 - Jun 2 with 3082 viewshampstead_blue

Maybe they can't afford to travel or get tickets?
There could be a fair reason.

Didn't watch the game. Playing cricket is far more interesting than that. Had a great audiobook about the Beastie Boys on the way home.

I heard the game was a damp squib.....

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Plastics on 10:15 - Jun 2 with 3061 viewsWeWereZombies

Plastics on 10:09 - Jun 2 by hampstead_blue

Didn't watch the game. Playing cricket is far more interesting than that. Had a great audiobook about the Beastie Boys on the way home.

There might be financial or temporal barriers on going to games but don't you have to

Fight

For the right

To partake...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Plastics on 10:21 - Jun 2 with 3047 viewsloyalfan

Absolutely. I think its rather sad for these "fans" and even worse when their kids are made to be Liverpool/United fans and don't even know anything about the club/its players/when their fixtures are. I went to Anfield this year as a guest of a ST holder and all the people around me were so obviously diehard Scousers and I did wonder what they made of my friend and I with our strong Southern accents. I suspect they were rather cynical. Give me a local team any day. By all means 'follow" a big team but don't give it the BIG ONE when they win something and you have never seen them play live.
Plastics on 11:07 - Jun 2 with 2968 viewsOwainG1992

I support Ipswich and yet I'm born and bred in Leeds
Does it matter really?

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Plastics on 11:15 - Jun 2 with 2958 viewsnewcastlefan1984

Plastics on 11:07 - Jun 2 by OwainG1992

I support Ipswich and yet I'm born and bred in Leeds
Does it matter really?

I live in Ipswich but support Newcastle and have done for 25 years and went to my first game in 1999.
Plastics on 11:22 - Jun 2 with 2933 viewswkj

To be fair, I don't see it as anything weird or out of place. It is kind of like an anthropomorphism of sorts where we humanise something unknown to us. I could easily have been a forest fan because it was my first sticker album sticker, or another team because they were big during a particularly positive moment in life.

What comes across as plastic to me are the sort who change their team often to hunt to ol' glory. Where are all the distance Man U fans of Fergie's era now? I'm willing to bet a fair few of em claim to support Man City now.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Plastics on 11:26 - Jun 2 with 2920 viewscaught-in-limbo

You overheard a couple of people speaking in hushed tones at a "do". Was it at a seance?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Plastics on 11:34 - Jun 2 with 2890 viewsfactual_blue

Plastics on 09:53 - Jun 2 by StochesStotasBlewe

Indeed. I was at a festival bank holiday weekend in Leicestershire with 2 plastic Utd fans. Next to us were some Forest supporters who had been season ticket holders for donkeys years. Got chatting about footie & had a great weekend chewing the cud about the trials & tribulations of our respective teams, our history, Sir Bobby & Clough, great games against each other, our hopes & dreams.
My plastic mates just didn,t get it, but then, football was only invented in 1991.

The Forest gents had a continuous supply of quality wine too.

I can remember telling a Man Utd 'fan' that the top third of the Stretford End was a seating area since about 1959.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Plastics on 11:35 - Jun 2 with 2876 viewsFixed_It

Plastics on 10:09 - Jun 2 by hampstead_blue

They can. They just choose not to.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Plastics on 11:38 - Jun 2 with 2851 viewsPJH

Plastics on 11:26 - Jun 2 by caught-in-limbo

You overheard a couple of people speaking in hushed tones at a "do". Was it at a seance?

They were drinking spirits.
Plastics on 11:39 - Jun 2 with 2852 viewsPinewoodblue

Did you have to lean in to hear what they were saying? Are you just plain nosey?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Plastics on 11:40 - Jun 2 with 2846 viewsBlueBadger

Used to be a bunch of lads round here who, in the space of about ten years went from supporting Man Utd, to Arsenal and finally Chelsea.
Regulars in their local and proper football fans around the village used to call them the 'Lovejoy society'. They thought they were named after Ian Mcshane's iconic mullet wearing antiques dealer because some of hem lived in Melford. They weren't, they were named after Tim.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Plastics on 11:41 - Jun 2 with 2842 viewsBlueBadger

Plastics on 11:40 - Jun 2 by BlueBadger

Used to be a bunch of lads round here who, in the space of about ten years went from supporting Man Utd, to Arsenal and finally Chelsea.
Regulars in their local and proper football fans around the village used to call them the 'Lovejoy society'. They thought they were named after Ian Mcshane's iconic mullet wearing antiques dealer because some of hem lived in Melford. They weren't, they were named after Tim.

And, whilst we're on the subject of Tim Lovejoy, I believe I'm legally obliged, having mentioned him, to post this.

https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/42-Media/145-no-love-no-joy

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Plastics on 11:44 - Jun 2 with 2823 viewscaught-in-limbo

Plastics on 11:38 - Jun 2 by PJH

They were drinking spirits.

Drinking spirits, you say. So, what do these spirits drink? Ghost Ship, maybe'

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Plastics on 12:05 - Jun 2 with 2758 viewsJDB23

Was surrounded by them last night watching the game out. Really strange hearing them all passionately signing songs about "we come from Liverpool". How can you have so much pride over a city you've probably never even stepped in? Each to their own I guess.
Plastics on 12:19 - Jun 2 with 2720 viewsfactual_blue

Plastics on 11:44 - Jun 2 by caught-in-limbo

Drinking spirits, you say. So, what do these spirits drink? Ghost Ship, maybe'

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024