Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finally seen this penalty incident from last night 09:32 - Jun 2 with 3451 viewsFtnfwest

Did they use VAR for it? Only it clearly deflected off sissokos body before it hit his arm, if you’re pointing at something, that is a ‘natural’ way to do it, and aiming for someone’s arm/hand by an attacker isn’t that ‘natural’ I’d suggest. Still, whatever, it all sounded pretty pants anyway.
Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 09:57 - Jun 2 with 3018 viewsJimmyJazz

It was given by VAR, what was Sissoko pointing at? An aeroplane? It was a stupid stance for him to take and he paid the penalty

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 10:02 - Jun 2 with 3002 viewsPinewoodblue

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 09:57 - Jun 2 by JimmyJazz

It was given by VAR, what was Sissoko pointing at? An aeroplane? It was a stupid stance for him to take and he paid the penalty

Next season is likely to see more players aiming for arms looking for a penalty.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 10:07 - Jun 2 with 2994 viewsBasuco

It was a good decision and a definite penalty, these should be given every time in my opinion, but they are treated differently by the same refs in England depending on what team it is and how they feel on the day, as someone else has said next season we should at least get some consistency on blocking a cross/shot with the arms and hands.
Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 10:16 - Jun 2 with 2959 viewswkj

I agree that it was a penalty. As the ball was struck he arm came down which is probably what sold them on it in the VAR room. Not up to the attacker to figure out how to get around the obstacle in that situation.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 10:41 - Jun 2 with 2914 viewsGarv

I'm not one for handballs because a lot of the time they can't do anything about it. I generally say "players have arms, you can't punish them for that", but that was one was naive and while he didn't deliberately handball it, he did deliberately put his outstretched arm above his head, and the ball hit it. Pen.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 10:57 - Jun 2 with 2873 viewsSwansea_Blue

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 09:57 - Jun 2 by JimmyJazz

I thought it was given by the ref and then confirmed (very quickly) by VAR. Looked stonewall to me.

Terrible match though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 11:04 - Jun 2 with 2851 viewsJimmyJazz

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 10:57 - Jun 2 by Swansea_Blue

I thought it was given by the ref and then confirmed (very quickly) by VAR. Looked stonewall to me.

Terrible match though.

Yes you're right, in this case i was using given and confirmed as the same thing.

Liverpool having been gifted the lead were just able to coast through the rest of the game, the penalty ruined the game in a way.

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 11:40 - Jun 2 with 2793 viewsSporall

I'm of the opinion it was a penalty as his arm needn't have been in the position it was.

I might be wrong but I've not seen mention of Mane's role - to me he purposely aimed the ball at Sissoko to win the penalty?
Login to get fewer ads

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 12:08 - Jun 2 with 2717 viewsPinewoodblue

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 11:40 - Jun 2 by Sporall

I'm of the opinion it was a penalty as his arm needn't have been in the position it was.

I might be wrong but I've not seen mention of Mane's role - to me he purposely aimed the ball at Sissoko to win the penalty?

No different than playing off a defender to 'win' a corner.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 12:09 - Jun 2 with 2714 viewsEastTownBlue

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 11:40 - Jun 2 by Sporall

He had his arm out for such a long time pointing out something to a teammate he really was asking for trouble. Very naive defending.
Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 12:30 - Jun 2 with 2686 viewsBluefish

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 10:57 - Jun 2 by Swansea_Blue

Terrible match though.

Anyone who supports that being a penalty is everything wrong with football. Definite half and half scarf and 2nd team type people that get excited by record deadline day spending

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:16 - Jun 2 with 2522 viewsstrikalite

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 10:02 - Jun 2 by Pinewoodblue

Next season is likely to see more players aiming for arms looking for a penalty.

Agree and I think defenders now when faced with a similar situation to the one last night must make sure their arms are behind them when face on, they're doing it now, but next season I think they'll all be trying to do it...
Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:22 - Jun 2 with 2512 viewssparks

It shows the stupidity of the unecessary rule change.

All was fine, if only people actually understood what the rule was and applied it as it was written... Now we are going to have travesties, and strikers deliberately chipping the ball up, as well as the end of last ditch tackles, or blocking crosses, for fear of flailing arms being hit

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:23 - Jun 2 with 2506 viewssparks

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:16 - Jun 2 by strikalite

Agree and I think defenders now when faced with a similar situation to the one last night must make sure their arms are behind them when face on, they're doing it now, but next season I think they'll all be trying to do it...

And what a massive advantage that is to strikers. Who are free to move and balance with their whole body.

Ridiculous.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:26 - Jun 2 with 2504 viewsWickets

I think he was pointing to far post expecting the ball to be played there deflected off his chest on to his upper arm and as he pull his arm down he knocks the ball again . Got to be a Penalty for me . I thought the Ref had a good game .
Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:34 - Jun 2 with 2488 viewssparks

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:26 - Jun 2 by Wickets

I think he was pointing to far post expecting the ball to be played there deflected off his chest on to his upper arm and as he pull his arm down he knocks the ball again . Got to be a Penalty for me . I thought the Ref had a good game .

Did he intentionally handle the ball?

If not, not a penalty.

Its a simple rule which was largely fair, clear, and has worked fine for a very very long time- and idiots have ruined it.

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:39 - Jun 2 with 2477 viewsstrikalite

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:23 - Jun 2 by sparks

And what a massive advantage that is to strikers. Who are free to move and balance with their whole body.

Ridiculous.

Said it many times, they should now make the penalty area smaller, a lot of these dives and flick up hand balls are done just inside the box, lets see who stays on their feet if they're not inside the area...
Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:40 - Jun 2 with 2475 viewssparks

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:39 - Jun 2 by strikalite

Said it many times, they should now make the penalty area smaller, a lot of these dives and flick up hand balls are done just inside the box, lets see who stays on their feet if they're not inside the area...

I see the logic. But a free kick from 12 yards with a wall on the line in front of the goal keeper is also a pretty good prospect....

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:56 - Jun 2 with 2444 viewsFtnfwest

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:22 - Jun 2 by sparks

It shows the stupidity of the unecessary rule change.

All was fine, if only people actually understood what the rule was and applied it as it was written... Now we are going to have travesties, and strikers deliberately chipping the ball up, as well as the end of last ditch tackles, or blocking crosses, for fear of flailing arms being hit

Agreed bully, it does seem as if the only acceptable ‘natural’ position to have your arms in as a defender either standing up or even sliding around is behind your back
Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 15:15 - Jun 2 with 2409 viewsGarv

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:34 - Jun 2 by sparks

If not, not a penalty.

Its a simple rule which was largely fair, clear, and has worked fine for a very very long time- and idiots have ruined it.

That's always been a handball.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 15:19 - Jun 2 with 2393 viewssparks

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 15:15 - Jun 2 by Garv

That's always been a handball.

The law is very very clear.

But many people dont seem capable of applying it.

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 16:04 - Jun 2 with 2307 viewsJimmyJazz

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 15:19 - Jun 2 by sparks

The law is very very clear.

But many people dont seem capable of applying it.

Unless it's when the defender is on the goal line - stopping a certain goal - when is hand ball ever intentional? Even those moments when a defender raises his hand to punch the ball from a cross, he's caught up in the moment and doesn't intentionally concede a clear penalty

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 16:28 - Jun 2 with 2258 viewssparks

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 16:04 - Jun 2 by JimmyJazz

Unless it's when the defender is on the goal line - stopping a certain goal - when is hand ball ever intentional? Even those moments when a defender raises his hand to punch the ball from a cross, he's caught up in the moment and doesn't intentionally concede a clear penalty

Lots of times its intentional, even if instinctive.

The rule has worked for a very long time. I remain baffled as to why people suddenly suggest its no good, and are changing it for one which spoils teh game.

Its as if we cannot allow an element of judgment for referees (and a modest spectrum of reasonable professional judgment and disaagreement)- which ought to be a fundamental part of refereeing.

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 16:30 - Jun 2 with 2253 viewsJ4ck22

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 14:34 - Jun 2 by sparks

If not, not a penalty.

It never worked that way, players very rarely deliberately handball.
Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 16:32 - Jun 2 with 2252 viewsm14_blue

Finally seen this penalty incident from last night on 16:04 - Jun 2 by JimmyJazz

Just because it’s instinctive doesn’t mean it’s not intentional.

Yes, it’s relatively unusual but why is that a problem? If the player isn’t seeking to gain an advantage and has just happened to be struck on the arm then why should they be punished? Why should it be any different to the ball striking them anywhere else on the body?

Was the game previously being ruined by loads of goals denied due to defender’s pointing arms? I must have missed that.

It cheapens goals and is just another small step in ruining the game I have been obsessed with my whole life.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2019 16:43]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024