Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
USA President interference 12:49 - Jun 3 with 991 viewsBluefish

Do you remember when so many got all teary and angry because Obama dared to suggest that we are better off in the EU. Same bunch seem to love trump having a meddle in our business
[Post edited 3 Jun 2019 13:44]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

USA President interference on 12:58 - Jun 3 with 942 viewsJ2BLUE

I don't think foreign leaders/politicians should get involved in elections/referendums. That goes for Obama, Trump, Farage etc etc.

Obama wanted us to be their eyes and ears within the EU. Trump wants us out so America can get a good trade deal from us. Lets not pretend Obama's intervention was different from Trump's. Obama prioritised having that link to the EU though us. Trump prioritises the economy.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

USA President interference on 13:00 - Jun 3 with 929 viewsBluefish

USA President interference on 12:58 - Jun 3 by J2BLUE

I don't think foreign leaders/politicians should get involved in elections/referendums. That goes for Obama, Trump, Farage etc etc.

Obama wanted us to be their eyes and ears within the EU. Trump wants us out so America can get a good trade deal from us. Lets not pretend Obama's intervention was different from Trump's. Obama prioritised having that link to the EU though us. Trump prioritises the economy.

Surely I was doing the exact opposite of saying that they are different.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

USA President interference on 13:03 - Jun 3 with 915 viewsDarth_Koont

USA President interference on 12:58 - Jun 3 by J2BLUE

I think Trump wants to see a weaker EU (and us into the bargain). Short-term economic gain and long-term defence of their global position.

The EU is challenging the hegemony of the US as the leader of the free world and certainly on global issues like climate, trade, pharma regs, financial regs, taxation, foreign policy etc.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2019 13:56]

Pronouns: He/Him

USA President interference on 13:03 - Jun 3 with 910 viewsJ2BLUE

USA President interference on 13:00 - Jun 3 by Bluefish

Surely I was doing the exact opposite of saying that they are different.

Fair point, wasn't really aimed at you. There were plenty of people saying Obama was looking out for us when he intervened.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

USA President interference on 13:53 - Jun 3 with 816 viewsMugwump

USA President interference on 13:03 - Jun 3 by Darth_Koont

I think Trump wants to see a weaker EU (and us into the bargain). Short-term economic gain and long-term defence of their global position.

The EU is challenging the hegemony of the US as the leader of the free world and certainly on global issues like climate, trade, pharma regs, financial regs, taxation, foreign policy etc.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2019 13:56]

There is a lot of truth in what you say about that, albeit that UK is traditionally probably USAs greatest ally.

That said, both presidents said what they did purely because of what they think is better for their country, which after all is their job.

Trump is a nutter though but getting back to the original question I suppose the main difference is that Trump was asked the question whereas Obama wasn’t
USA President interference on 13:59 - Jun 3 with 802 viewsDarth_Koont

USA President interference on 13:53 - Jun 3 by Mugwump

There is a lot of truth in what you say about that, albeit that UK is traditionally probably USAs greatest ally.

That said, both presidents said what they did purely because of what they think is better for their country, which after all is their job.

Trump is a nutter though but getting back to the original question I suppose the main difference is that Trump was asked the question whereas Obama wasn’t

Maybe but that hasn't stopped Trump in other areas.

Perhaps Obama was also seeing the overall stability advantages rather than Trump's divide and conquer for financial gain angle. I think Trump sees chaos as good or certainly profitable for him.

USA President interference on 14:02 - Jun 3 with 791 viewspickles110564

USA President interference on 13:59 - Jun 3 by Darth_Koont

Perhaps Obama was also seeing the overall stability advantages rather than Trump's divide and conquer for financial gain angle. I think Trump sees chaos as good or certainly profitable for him.

Obama lied, we are not at the back of the queue for a US Trade deal.
USA President interference on 14:06 - Jun 3 with 777 viewsDarth_Koont

USA President interference on 14:02 - Jun 3 by pickles110564

How do the US do their trade deals?

Login to get fewer ads

USA President interference on 14:13 - Jun 3 with 754 viewsMugwump

USA President interference on 13:59 - Jun 3 by Darth_Koont

Well yes Trump has a history of dropping bombs, scaring the living daylights out of people and then agreeing to a deal that is less favourable to his opposition than they would have desired yet still leaving his opposition thinking they have succeeded in the negotiation.

It’s a normal negotiating tactic that our government (for whatever reason) hasn’t used with their EU negotiating. If our government was more business like and wasn’t full of second rate career politicians then we may not be in the mess we find ourselves in. I suppose it would also help if we had a solid government, and a solid opposition come to that. The only parties who have a unanimous opinion on anything would in reality struggle to run a corner shop.

Obama and Trump could / can say and do what they want because everyone has to listen.
USA President interference on 14:26 - Jun 3 with 730 viewsBlueBadger

We're just behind China, Japan, the EU, Saudi, Canada, Mexico....

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

USA President interference on 14:32 - Jun 3 with 713 viewsBlueNomad

For once could you please provide some evidence to support one of your claims? Not a theory - EVIDENCE
USA President interference on 14:36 - Jun 3 with 696 viewsBlueNomad

USA President interference on 14:32 - Jun 3 by BlueNomad

For once could you please provide some evidence to support one of your claims? Not a theory - EVIDENCE

I anticipate tumbleweed will blow on to this question
[Post edited 3 Jun 2019 14:53]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024