Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Squash 22:48 - Jun 3 with 1570 viewsitfcjoe

Playing on Weds for the first time in years, and have only played about 7 or 8 times in my life

Need to get a racket, and planning to try and play weekly with my mate.

Presume most sensible thing to do initially is go to Sports Direct and get the cheapest one there? Any tips greatly received

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Squash on 22:53 - Jun 3 with 1552 viewsvapour_trail

Definitely this.

30 or 40 quid max, and a few yellow spot balls and off you go. It’s a fecking good workout, as long as you and your mate aren’t too far apart in terms of quality, it’s great fun as well.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Squash on 22:58 - Jun 3 with 1539 viewsjasondozzell

Fantastic game. Punishing though!

Yes, Sports Direct or online both good options. No need to spend loads if you're just staring out; a good Head racket to start you off shouldn't cost you more than 40 quid or so. Head Nano available for about that price and Head make decent stuff.

More important is voice choice of ball. Different spots indicate how much bounce you'll get. If you're just getting to grips with game again then red spot good place to start. As you get better or if you become a regular player at club level a single yellow is what you'll want.

It's such a good game but prepare to be knackered! It gets you fit quicker than anything else. People don't realise how much you move. If you get to a decent standard and start exchanging long rallies and hitting to the back and accurate rail shots (tight to the side wall) you'll soon find your fitness zooms up.

Key to winning? Dominate the T (the middle) and make your opponent retrieve from all four corners.

It's like playing chess while doing a marathon.
Squash on 06:40 - Jun 4 with 1422 viewsKieran_Knows

Absolutely love squash. Has helped me lose over 3 stone in weight these past 3 years (although, for the first 2 years or so I was playing 3-4 times a week, 1 hour 30 mins per time).

Agree about the racket. I started by buying the cheapest one there was (think £10-£12), and over the last couple of years when I have been slightly improving, I have been buying better rackets (think my last one was around £50).

You’ll love it, and if you stick to it, you’ll start seeing the weight fly off you.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 6:42]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Squash on 07:11 - Jun 4 with 1374 viewsBrixtonBlue

It was nice knowing you Joe x

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Squash on 08:14 - Jun 4 with 1325 viewsSaleAway

ITs an awesome game - some good tips here... I'd also add..

Have a good warm up....

Spend 10 minutes stretching after you finish...particularly your glutes. Basically, squash is interval lunging for 40 minutes, so your butt will be on fire in 2 days, if you're not used to it!

Oh and if you have a weak heart, be careful.. there's a reason that squash is good for you, and its because it gives your heart a very good workout... basically the time between points allows you to get your breath back, but not enough time for your heart rate to come down, so you'll be running at a very high HR for most of the time. Back when I was young, fit, and playing proper squash, my average HR during a squash match, was generally over 190bpm, for an hour...

Most of all, have fun, watch the ball (if you're playing someone who isn't very good, wear goggles), and own the 'T'. Straight is better than cross court, and taking the pace off the ball with lobs will generally get you out of trouble much better than just trying to hit it as hard as you can.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Squash on 08:16 - Jun 4 with 1318 viewsTIB

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Squash on 08:20 - Jun 4 with 1315 viewswkj

Squash is the game of choice, sports direct is the answer.

Two things to remember with a racket though, while you want it light- make sure there is enough weight to it that it feels natural when you follow through, nothing worse than trying to follow through with an ultra light racket, not until you get more fluent at the game. The other more obvious thing is the grip, you've gonna be wrangling that thing for about 40 minutes and sweating a lot - nothing screws up momentum more than cheap grip tape that unravels all the time.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Squash on 08:25 - Jun 4 with 1303 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’ve been playing squash on and off since the mid 80’s and I still use my original Dunlop racket. Can’t quite fit into my Sergio Tacchini whites though.

Yeah a reasonably priced racket from SD is the right way to go.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 08:31 - Jun 4 with 1291 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Squash on 08:14 - Jun 4 by SaleAway

ITs an awesome game - some good tips here... I'd also add..

Have a good warm up....

Spend 10 minutes stretching after you finish...particularly your glutes. Basically, squash is interval lunging for 40 minutes, so your butt will be on fire in 2 days, if you're not used to it!

Oh and if you have a weak heart, be careful.. there's a reason that squash is good for you, and its because it gives your heart a very good workout... basically the time between points allows you to get your breath back, but not enough time for your heart rate to come down, so you'll be running at a very high HR for most of the time. Back when I was young, fit, and playing proper squash, my average HR during a squash match, was generally over 190bpm, for an hour...

Most of all, have fun, watch the ball (if you're playing someone who isn't very good, wear goggles), and own the 'T'. Straight is better than cross court, and taking the pace off the ball with lobs will generally get you out of trouble much better than just trying to hit it as hard as you can.

Definitely stretch afterwards!
[Post edited 4 Jun 2019 8:41]
Squash on 08:36 - Jun 4 with 1288 viewsitfcjoe

Squash on 22:58 - Jun 3 by jasondozzell

Fantastic game. Punishing though!

Yes, Sports Direct or online both good options. No need to spend loads if you're just staring out; a good Head racket to start you off shouldn't cost you more than 40 quid or so. Head Nano available for about that price and Head make decent stuff.

More important is voice choice of ball. Different spots indicate how much bounce you'll get. If you're just getting to grips with game again then red spot good place to start. As you get better or if you become a regular player at club level a single yellow is what you'll want.

It's such a good game but prepare to be knackered! It gets you fit quicker than anything else. People don't realise how much you move. If you get to a decent standard and start exchanging long rallies and hitting to the back and accurate rail shots (tight to the side wall) you'll soon find your fitness zooms up.

Key to winning? Dominate the T (the middle) and make your opponent retrieve from all four corners.

It's like playing chess while doing a marathon.

I enjoyed it when I did play, but was against a mate who was a fiar bit fitter and better so got a lot out of it fitness wise but struggled to compete....found I'd do well for a bit, have a couple of good rallies and then just lose 5 points quickly because I'm knackered!

Starting with a mate of similar ability an fitness levels so should be able to improve together - can't imagine the standard will start high and I need to check the rules!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Squash on 09:36 - Jun 4 with 1200 viewsElephantintheRoom

Don't would be my advice. Squash is a dreadful waste of energy unless you and your opponent are very well matched - which in my experience is/was very rare. Also you hear the knock on the door far too soon leaving the game unfinished more often than not. Plus booking a court can be a pain. ANd you need poncy shoes too which are more important than the racket which most centres let you borrow.

However, whilst playing my son at the Coldham's Lane Centre in Cambridge a few years ago, the knock on the door revealed the next players to be George Clooney and Matt Damon who were apparently having a break from filming Monuments Men. So on that basis the game, whilst extremely boring and frustrating is a good way to occasionally meet apparently well-grounded Hollywood mega-stars

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Squash on 10:00 - Jun 4 with 1172 viewsNo9

I don't know how old you are Joe BUT, your legs are not as young as they once were=
Knees & ankles are very vulnerable - take some Physio advice first
Squash on 11:17 - Jun 4 with 1114 viewsEwan_Oozami

Spend the most money on a decent set of squash shoes/trainers that fit you well - otherwise your knees will be wrecked within 6 months!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Squash on 12:29 - Jun 4 with 1065 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

Buy a defibrillator.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024