Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
interesting article about lowestoft 12:34 - Jun 5 with 5330 viewslowhouseblue

should anyone be interested.

https://unherd.com/2019/06/the-town-that-should-shame-our-politicians/

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

interesting article about lowestoft on 12:39 - Jun 5 with 3260 viewsfooters

Nice one, lowhouse.

My beautiful hometown :) But sadly one only a mother could love.

I shall peruse at lunchtime, although I see "It's sh1t" is the opening gambit!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

interesting article about lowestoft on 13:17 - Jun 5 with 3194 viewsGeoffSentence

That gives a picture of a town dead on its knees. Is it really that bad? Hasn't the offshore wind industry given it a bit of a lifeline?

As an aside my first job after school was working on an oil rig standby ship out of Lowestoft, for Colne Shipping. I didn't last long, a maritime life was not for me, probably not encouraged by the cross-eyed skipper and masturbating chief engineer.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

interesting article about lowestoft on 13:21 - Jun 5 with 3176 viewsBiGDonnie

interesting article about lowestoft on 13:17 - Jun 5 by GeoffSentence

That gives a picture of a town dead on its knees. Is it really that bad? Hasn't the offshore wind industry given it a bit of a lifeline?

As an aside my first job after school was working on an oil rig standby ship out of Lowestoft, for Colne Shipping. I didn't last long, a maritime life was not for me, probably not encouraged by the cross-eyed skipper and masturbating chief engineer.

W&nkers are everywhere mate.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

interesting article about lowestoft on 13:36 - Jun 5 with 3146 viewsJimmyJazz

I imagine there are loads of Northern towns that you could have written an article saying the same things over the past 30 years

The article with rose-tinted specs suggests a recently idyllic town, i wonder how long ago that actually was? Lowestoft always seemed a bit of a dive 30-40 years ago.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

interesting article about lowestoft on 13:46 - Jun 5 with 3118 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

This writer gets it

Whilst Brexit isn’t likely to be the answer to any of their problems, it isn’t hard to see why residents of towns like Lowestoft have turned that way and towards parties like Brexit and UKIP, when they haven’t been listened to and left to decline by the mainstream parties

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

interesting article about lowestoft on 13:48 - Jun 5 with 3104 viewsStokieBlue

That's a sad read.

Hard to know what will be done. The industries that underpinned such communities are gone and they aren't coming back. In fact unskilled work is going to be even harder to come by as machines become more efficient and wider ranging.

If no politicians speak for them at the moment then it's hard to know what they want as well - there is quite a large cross-section of views at the moment.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

interesting article about lowestoft on 14:03 - Jun 5 with 3076 viewsGuthrum

interesting article about lowestoft on 13:46 - Jun 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

This writer gets it

Whilst Brexit isn’t likely to be the answer to any of their problems, it isn’t hard to see why residents of towns like Lowestoft have turned that way and towards parties like Brexit and UKIP, when they haven’t been listened to and left to decline by the mainstream parties

It's the terrible issue of towns and cities where the raison d'etre has gone. Historically, people would simply have moved away to wherever else the work was (as they moved into so many of the burgeoning industrial areas in the mid 19th century, or, indeed, left areas like the Forest of Dean when decline set in). But now there aren't enough labour-intensive, skill-matching jobs and those places which are prospering are also too expensive to live in (especially moving on spec).

Governments don't want to spend money, there are too many places fighting for what investment there is. So they just decay.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

interesting article about lowestoft on 14:25 - Jun 5 with 3027 viewsGuthrum

interesting article about lowestoft on 13:48 - Jun 5 by StokieBlue

That's a sad read.

Hard to know what will be done. The industries that underpinned such communities are gone and they aren't coming back. In fact unskilled work is going to be even harder to come by as machines become more efficient and wider ranging.

If no politicians speak for them at the moment then it's hard to know what they want as well - there is quite a large cross-section of views at the moment.

SB

It would make most sense to push a helotage of technology, using maximum mechanisation to generate the wealth to support the human population, through some sort of universal basic income. They could then take on part-time work, volunteering, craft, education, self-improvement, sport.

The problem with that would be finding the money to invest in the initial setup and prising sufficient of the resulting profits out of the hands of those running business.

Login to get fewer ads

interesting article about lowestoft on 14:34 - Jun 5 with 3006 viewsBent_double

I think all the installation and maintenance of the wind farms in the region is done out of Yarmouth and Lowestoft - I can't be sure, but it seems that Yarmouth has the lions share of that, so don't know where that leaves Lowestoft.

I only ever pass through Lowestoft on the way to/from Ipswich, occasionally there might be a massive great rig there, in for repairs perhaps, and they do have the government fisheries place which is supposed to be getting tens of millions spent on it, other than that, there can't be much in the way of work.

Of course they did have an air show every few years uptil 4-5 years ago, but lost that through local apathy, apparently.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

interesting article about lowestoft on 14:37 - Jun 5 with 2999 viewsfooters

interesting article about lowestoft on 14:34 - Jun 5 by Bent_double

I think all the installation and maintenance of the wind farms in the region is done out of Yarmouth and Lowestoft - I can't be sure, but it seems that Yarmouth has the lions share of that, so don't know where that leaves Lowestoft.

I only ever pass through Lowestoft on the way to/from Ipswich, occasionally there might be a massive great rig there, in for repairs perhaps, and they do have the government fisheries place which is supposed to be getting tens of millions spent on it, other than that, there can't be much in the way of work.

Of course they did have an air show every few years uptil 4-5 years ago, but lost that through local apathy, apparently.

I believe a lot of the renewables stuff that was happening in town has now also gone. That's because of competition from Yarmouth and government funding for renewables being slashed. Along with a lot of the rig maintenance stuff. My dad used to work there when he wasn't on the rigs themselves.

Many factories have also shut their doors.

It used to be a joke, but now sadly it's true: Lowestoft the town so sh1t even the fish fooked off.

interesting article about lowestoft on 14:38 - Jun 5 with 3002 viewsMeadowlark

interesting article about lowestoft on 13:48 - Jun 5 by StokieBlue

That's a sad read.

SB

The workers when I grew up in Lowestoft were far from "unskilled." There was a lively ship-building industry that employed boilermakers, platers, welders etc. The coachworks had motor vehicle fitters, upholsterers and the like and the TV factory employed electronic technicians and electronic engineers. There were also net-makers, (one of which survives today making goal nets) a pram factory and a multitude of minor concerns all looking after these major industries.
And there were also two huge food canning plants and at least one other frozen food factory in addition to Birdseye.
There was a massive timber import yard on the quayside which is now a vast untapped resource and a grain export silo on the opposite bank (which is probably still in operation).
The above doesn't even include fishing or agriculture which were both also major players or tourism which attracted a huge influx of visitors in the summer months.
After all of these disappeared there have been minor upswings, with first N.Sea gas and more recently wind-power, but many of the jobs created by these industries are taken up by outsiders with the necessary skills, because, as you rightly point out these new skills are missing from the local workforce.
Lowestoft is my home town and if I stand back and and take a look, it is sadly a shadow of its former self in the 1960s when it was a bustling and thriving community that prided itself on its manufacturing, marine and farming heritage.
But take away all of these industries from any town, especially one with such bad transport links, traffic chaos and miles from anywhere and you begin to understand......
interesting article about lowestoft on 14:44 - Jun 5 with 2990 viewsNo9

I started working in shipping Lowestoft in 1967 and moved to live there in 1972.
The Town was a very busy place in the 60's its decline had nothing to do with being in Europe.
The place destroyed itself over a relatively short period of time by doing many things wrong for the wrong reasons and for the wrong people.
The article doesn't address any of the things that really happened & it is this sort of silly story that cloud the reasons for the decline which are detrimental to new investment.
Reasons for what happened are plenty many to do with the local & natoinal politicians from the early 60's on. Many established businesses worked to stop new investment preferring protectionism.
It isn't going to change any time soon.
interesting article about lowestoft on 15:07 - Jun 5 with 2944 viewsPendejo

My mum used to live opposite the Claremont Pier late 70s / early 80s so Lowestoft is somewhere I used to visit regularly as a kid.

It should be better served as far as tourism goes as they have vast sandy beaches [as opposed to Felixtowes shingle]

Recently I could have relocated here almost mortgage free, but elected not to as I felt my children have far better opportunities based in a "ghetto" flat in London than they would in a large house in South Lowestoft.

I recall a scum underclass in Lowestoft long before I encountered it anywhere else. One of my earliest memories of the town was an invasion of lady birds circa '76 [?] and 2 herberts assaulting a female police officer, even back then I recall an area being referred to as a no go zone but don't recall where it was. Powerboat racing at Oulton Broad, and driving past the Norseman pub as the death of Elvis was announced over the radio.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 15:12]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

interesting article about lowestoft on 15:12 - Jun 5 with 2932 viewsPendejo

interesting article about lowestoft on 15:07 - Jun 5 by Pendejo

My mum used to live opposite the Claremont Pier late 70s / early 80s so Lowestoft is somewhere I used to visit regularly as a kid.

It should be better served as far as tourism goes as they have vast sandy beaches [as opposed to Felixtowes shingle]

Recently I could have relocated here almost mortgage free, but elected not to as I felt my children have far better opportunities based in a "ghetto" flat in London than they would in a large house in South Lowestoft.

I recall a scum underclass in Lowestoft long before I encountered it anywhere else. One of my earliest memories of the town was an invasion of lady birds circa '76 [?] and 2 herberts assaulting a female police officer, even back then I recall an area being referred to as a no go zone but don't recall where it was. Powerboat racing at Oulton Broad, and driving past the Norseman pub as the death of Elvis was announced over the radio.

ps.

For a while they [her & her 2nd husband] lived in a basement flat of one of those 5 story places that 2nd husband owned. When I visited I used a board over the bath as a make shift bed, and used ot be woken regularly by people p1shing on the basement bathroom window which was at pavement level.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4663353,1.7445247,3a,75y,321.41h,90t/data=!3m6

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

interesting article about lowestoft on 15:15 - Jun 5 with 2920 viewsfooters

interesting article about lowestoft on 15:12 - Jun 5 by Pendejo

ps.

For a while they [her & her 2nd husband] lived in a basement flat of one of those 5 story places that 2nd husband owned. When I visited I used a board over the bath as a make shift bed, and used ot be woken regularly by people p1shing on the basement bathroom window which was at pavement level.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4663353,1.7445247,3a,75y,321.41h,90t/data=!3m6

Ha! I grew up in a house about two minutes from there. A Kirkley upbringing was, er, interesting. One of the most deprived wards in the UK IIRC.

interesting article about lowestoft on 15:35 - Jun 5 with 2855 viewsNo9

interesting article about lowestoft on 15:07 - Jun 5 by Pendejo

Before they built the sewage works near Birds Eye, jobbies used to wash up on South beach
interesting article about lowestoft on 16:08 - Jun 5 with 2809 viewsStokieBlue

interesting article about lowestoft on 14:25 - Jun 5 by Guthrum

It would make most sense to push a helotage of technology, using maximum mechanisation to generate the wealth to support the human population, through some sort of universal basic income. They could then take on part-time work, volunteering, craft, education, self-improvement, sport.

The problem with that would be finding the money to invest in the initial setup and prising sufficient of the resulting profits out of the hands of those running business.

No objection to that although you'd need to find the money for the UBI which might be hard if less people are working and being taxed.

SB

interesting article about lowestoft on 16:09 - Jun 5 with 2808 viewsStokieBlue

interesting article about lowestoft on 14:38 - Jun 5 by Meadowlark

The workers when I grew up in Lowestoft were far from "unskilled." There was a lively ship-building industry that employed boilermakers, platers, welders etc. The coachworks had motor vehicle fitters, upholsterers and the like and the TV factory employed electronic technicians and electronic engineers. There were also net-makers, (one of which survives today making goal nets) a pram factory and a multitude of minor concerns all looking after these major industries.
And there were also two huge food canning plants and at least one other frozen food factory in addition to Birdseye.
There was a massive timber import yard on the quayside which is now a vast untapped resource and a grain export silo on the opposite bank (which is probably still in operation).
The above doesn't even include fishing or agriculture which were both also major players or tourism which attracted a huge influx of visitors in the summer months.
After all of these disappeared there have been minor upswings, with first N.Sea gas and more recently wind-power, but many of the jobs created by these industries are taken up by outsiders with the necessary skills, because, as you rightly point out these new skills are missing from the local workforce.
Lowestoft is my home town and if I stand back and and take a look, it is sadly a shadow of its former self in the 1960s when it was a bustling and thriving community that prided itself on its manufacturing, marine and farming heritage.
But take away all of these industries from any town, especially one with such bad transport links, traffic chaos and miles from anywhere and you begin to understand......

Totally agree - I didn't mean the workforce back then - that was obviously linked to an industry but those are gone and not coming back.

The article cited the low skill level in the region now and that's the problem I was citing as only going to get worse.

SB

interesting article about lowestoft on 16:18 - Jun 5 with 2798 viewsSwansea_Blue

I was there at Easter, and while the town centre and surrounding residential streets looked pretty drab it wasn't as bad as many of the places down here in south wales. I know it's not a race to the bottom though! Doesn't mean it couldn't do with some tlc of course.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

interesting article about lowestoft on 17:18 - Jun 5 with 2733 viewsJimmyJazz

interesting article about lowestoft on 14:34 - Jun 5 by Bent_double

Doesn’t Lowestoft generally suffer from being in Yarmouth’s shadow? As a tourist attraction Yarmouth was always way ahead of Lowestoft, for the sake of about 10 extra miles why stop at Lowestoft? I then guess Pleasurewood Hills took even more tourists away

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

interesting article about lowestoft on 17:22 - Jun 5 with 2720 viewsfooters

interesting article about lowestoft on 17:18 - Jun 5 by JimmyJazz

Doesn’t Lowestoft generally suffer from being in Yarmouth’s shadow? As a tourist attraction Yarmouth was always way ahead of Lowestoft, for the sake of about 10 extra miles why stop at Lowestoft? I then guess Pleasurewood Hills took even more tourists away

Well, Pleasurewood Hills is closer to Lowie than Yarmouth.

And my man, please, please never say Lowestoft is in Yarmouth's shadow when it's clearly the other way round!

interesting article about lowestoft on 17:40 - Jun 5 with 2698 viewsGuthrum

interesting article about lowestoft on 16:08 - Jun 5 by StokieBlue

No objection to that although you'd need to find the money for the UBI which might be hard if less people are working and being taxed.

SB

Business tax.

After all, they are being relieved of the burden of having to pay such high wages to what human staff they still use.

interesting article about lowestoft on 18:05 - Jun 5 with 2677 viewsdirtyboy

It's frustrating as a resident of Lowestoft to read such depressing articles.

There are swathes of people who blame all of their woes on the loss of the fishing industry, and they're right to a degree, but thousands have moved into Oil & Gas/Renewables, it means a little bit of travelling onto rigs (not dissimilar to fishermen, but ultimately, the wages to be had are not insignificant and tend to be notably higher than your average London wage.

It's those negative types who will always be stuck, rather than adapt and overcome, they simply bemoan their bad luck/politicians (delete as applicable). People like that exist everywhere, but we have an abundance.

Lowestoft town centre is no different to any generic town centre, boring and uninviting, it's not alone, it's just...well... isolated.

Walk 10 minutes from the 'spoons and you're on the already mentioned white beaches, which are quite frankly as good as anywhere on a nice hot day.

If you like being active, then the ParkRun is well attended. Hundreds of miles of country roads surround the town for keen cyclists. Oulton Broad provides Sailing, Powerboating for the spectators, Paddleboarding etc.

There are jobs, plenty, it's just not those labour intensive semi-skilled ones that used to be in abundance and the generations haven't adapted quick enough.

Evolution will kick in eventually. Who doesn't want to live by the sea?
interesting article about lowestoft on 18:14 - Jun 5 with 2655 viewsfooters

interesting article about lowestoft on 18:05 - Jun 5 by dirtyboy

It's frustrating as a resident of Lowestoft to read such depressing articles.

There are swathes of people who blame all of their woes on the loss of the fishing industry, and they're right to a degree, but thousands have moved into Oil & Gas/Renewables, it means a little bit of travelling onto rigs (not dissimilar to fishermen, but ultimately, the wages to be had are not insignificant and tend to be notably higher than your average London wage.

It's those negative types who will always be stuck, rather than adapt and overcome, they simply bemoan their bad luck/politicians (delete as applicable). People like that exist everywhere, but we have an abundance.

Lowestoft town centre is no different to any generic town centre, boring and uninviting, it's not alone, it's just...well... isolated.

Walk 10 minutes from the 'spoons and you're on the already mentioned white beaches, which are quite frankly as good as anywhere on a nice hot day.

If you like being active, then the ParkRun is well attended. Hundreds of miles of country roads surround the town for keen cyclists. Oulton Broad provides Sailing, Powerboating for the spectators, Paddleboarding etc.

There are jobs, plenty, it's just not those labour intensive semi-skilled ones that used to be in abundance and the generations haven't adapted quick enough.

Evolution will kick in eventually. Who doesn't want to live by the sea?

Problem is mate that in 50 years' time Beccles will be the seaside town!

But you're right about Oulton Broad and the surrounding area. My mum still loves it and most of my family are still there, though many do worry about job opportunities. Most of the older crew have had their jobs for 20, 30 years, usually at the same company, but they know it could be hard to find similar work if the places shut down (rumours are Hoseason is, which is where me ma works). All the young'uns have moved away, mainly to Norwich.

There is also a problem in other councils sending less desirable peeps to Lowestoft and Yarmouth, amongst other places.

In fact, one of my old landlords wanted me to help him find somewhere to buy in Lowestoft (biggish block of flats) just to skim the DSS housing money from it. Worrying times.

interesting article about lowestoft on 18:17 - Jun 5 with 2651 viewsjaykay

interesting article about lowestoft on 13:46 - Jun 5 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

This writer gets it

strange that , the money the town have had came from the e.u. nearly 5 quid million for the sunrise project

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024