Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
State of the Board Discussion 18:16 - Jun 5 with 60460 viewsPhilTWTD

Another not overly pleasant day on here, even though we've had a signing, even if not a particularly high profile one.

Despite its not particularly brilliant or insightful starting point the 'All these protesters' thread has rather got to the crux of one of the bigger issues at the moment.

There are a number of posters who, rather than engaging in debate on an issue - political, brexit-related usually - post an insult aimed at a group they disagree with or something deliberately inflammatory without having any intention of involving themselves in any actual debate. It's all got very snipey, not just at other users but in a wider sense, protesters being today's target.

The forum has always been a friendly, inclusive place, welcoming to all, a community. Disagreements and argument maybe, but for the most part there's been an underlying geniality and good humour, posters have helped one another out and looked out for one another. This does appear to be being undermined by the recent unpleasant undertone.

While we've always been the ones running the site, we've never sought to be overly dictatorial. We've often put matters relating to it to posters. I don't particularly like banning people (although we have banned one user as Gav had an investigate and discovered a long-banned user with a new name), I usually give posters more than enough warnings to give them ample chance to use the board in line with the manner in which most others post.

Should we be a bit more draconian in how we police this sort of thing? Getting a bit fed up with how the last few days have progressed. We've gone from abuse PMs being a rarity to them becoming frequent most days. Have had a fair bit going on away from TWTD lately and haven't really needed the additional unnecessary hassle.

Obviously the sort of nonsense outlined above needs to end or we will have to ban a few more users, but any thoughts on how else we can try to get things back to normal?
State of the Board Discussion on 18:23 - Jun 5 with 10146 viewsDanTheMan

A few options, and this is based on other forums / boards.

- Forced ignores. Doesn't really solve the issue but should ease certain posters.
- Incremental bans. Start off a day or two then you get a few strikes and cooling off periods before something more permanent happens.
- Community moderators. Elected by the members on here, and people would have to ask to do it as there is no point forcing on people.

You probably see moderators most often and they can work but have to tread a very fine line or come up with a set of rules they can easily point to when asking people to cut it out.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

State of the Board Discussion on 18:24 - Jun 5 with 10136 viewsSpruceMoose

I'm just one voice, but I think with the action you have taken we will see a swift and dramatic improvement.

Like you said, this is a welcoming board, welcoming of discussion and arguments that are carried out sincerely and respectfully, built on the knowledge that if ever real life intrudes, and people need assistance, hard feelings are all put to one side. It's a family.

I think it is fairly easy to spot the posters who do not post in this spirit. I personally think they should be warned about their conduct, and if they don't listen, they need to go. Either permanently, or temporarily on a sin bin type deal.

I was ready to walk away from the board this morning, but with the action you've taken I'm prepared to stick around, post nicely, and give you fewer headaches in the process. I appreciate this is not good news for all of you...

Like I said to you earlier, I'm thankful for this board, it's a welcome link to home for us who reside far and wide, and you don't deserve the crap you've had to put up with.

Just my two cents. COYB.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 18:25]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

State of the Board Discussion on 18:35 - Jun 5 with 10066 viewsHerbivore

State of the Board Discussion on 18:23 - Jun 5 by DanTheMan

- Forced ignores. Doesn't really solve the issue but should ease certain posters.
- Incremental bans. Start off a day or two then you get a few strikes and cooling off periods before something more permanent happens.
- Community moderators. Elected by the members on here, and people would have to ask to do it as there is no point forcing on people.

You probably see moderators most often and they can work but have to tread a very fine line or come up with a set of rules they can easily point to when asking people to cut it out.

I'd add an ignore feature that is reciprocal (if not already in the pipeline). Current system means the other poster still sees your posts and can have a dig which you then become aware of from responses to that dig.

I'd also add sincere thanks to you and Gav for providing this site and tolerating us. It's been a sh!t show lately but there seems to be will from most posters to get it back on track.

Was he cruncher or taximan?
[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 18:48]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

State of the Board Discussion on 18:37 - Jun 5 with 10057 viewsHerbivore

State of the Board Discussion on 18:24 - Jun 5 by SpruceMoose

I'm just one voice, but I think with the action you have taken we will see a swift and dramatic improvement.

Like you said, this is a welcoming board, welcoming of discussion and arguments that are carried out sincerely and respectfully, built on the knowledge that if ever real life intrudes, and people need assistance, hard feelings are all put to one side. It's a family.

I think it is fairly easy to spot the posters who do not post in this spirit. I personally think they should be warned about their conduct, and if they don't listen, they need to go. Either permanently, or temporarily on a sin bin type deal.

I was ready to walk away from the board this morning, but with the action you've taken I'm prepared to stick around, post nicely, and give you fewer headaches in the process. I appreciate this is not good news for all of you...

Like I said to you earlier, I'm thankful for this board, it's a welcome link to home for us who reside far and wide, and you don't deserve the crap you've had to put up with.

Just my two cents. COYB.

Having read that you're staying, that's me leaving.

Later, losers.

*Flips bird with both hands and backs away from the forum*

State of the Board Discussion on 18:39 - Jun 5 with 10054 viewsBluerunner

State of the Board Discussion on 18:24 - Jun 5 by SpruceMoose

Just my two cents. COYB.

24th May 2019 14:08

"FFS I have to suffer with enough of you melts over here, can I not just enjoy this forum without it being overrun with MAGA hat wearing incels?

Feck off. " - SpruceMoose
State of the Board Discussion on 18:43 - Jun 5 with 10035 viewsSpruceMoose

State of the Board Discussion on 18:39 - Jun 5 by Bluerunner

"FFS I have to suffer with enough of you melts over here, can I not just enjoy this forum without it being overrun with MAGA hat wearing incels?

Indeed. That's what the constant ruining of the board by MAGA hat wearing incels had me resorting to. I said feck off to them. Shameful eh?

Hopefully the people that are hell bent on disrupting things around here will have seen what happens when they act like that after today.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

State of the Board Discussion on 18:43 - Jun 5 with 10027 viewsHerbivore

I'm not sure Phil is up for more stirring on one of these threads, mate.

State of the Board Discussion on 18:44 - Jun 5 with 10030 viewsPJH

Just speaking personally I had not even looked at the "All these protesters" thread so I had no idea what has been going on on there.
I tend to only look at things on here that interest me so that is largely football threads as I am not all that interested in politics nor am I interested in some of the other sports that crop up on here.
I do look at threads such as this though because I think that it is all of our interests to assist you and Gav in any way that we can because this is usually a very nice place to spend some time apart from keeping us very well informed on what supposedly is a large part of all or most of our lives in ITFC.
I did say in your previous thread about abuse that I believed that TWTD is not as good now as it was twelve months ago and whilst that post of mine was slightly flippant it was based on a genuine feeling that this forum has declined. I have only been a member of it for just over four years but, possibly reflecting ITFC's woes, I think this last year has been the least enjoyable.
As to how you solve these problems I do not know but the suggested short term bans plus a final warning at the end of one of these bans that further misbehavior would lead to a permanent ban would seem to be a sensible option.
As I say, having only been on here four years I am very much a new boy but as I also say, I am not enjoying TWTD as much as I did so doing something to get it back to how it used to be would be fine with me.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 9:07]
Login to get fewer ads

State of the Board Discussion on 18:54 - Jun 5 with 9969 viewsSuperblue95

Starting this carry on on a thread where Phil has said he’s just banned somebody is ballsy. Or stupid depending which way you want to look at it

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

State of the Board Discussion on 19:00 - Jun 5 with 9941 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Apologies if I caused any offence. The comment was misjudged.

Gus Uhlenbeek

State of the Board Discussion on 19:09 - Jun 5 with 9880 viewsSpruceMoose

State of the Board Discussion on 19:00 - Jun 5 by ShropshireBluenago09

Apologies if I caused any offence. The comment was misjudged.

Look man, I think a lot of folk, myself included have been getting too wrapped up in stuff. If you want a fresh start, no hard feelings, treat each other with respect, then I'm down.

State of the Board Discussion on 19:11 - Jun 5 with 9867 viewsgiant_stow

Journalist, online businessman and social worker.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

State of the Board Discussion on 19:23 - Jun 5 with 9812 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 18:23 - Jun 5 by DanTheMan

First of all I wish to apologise for my past behavior on here at times. Although I've had a word with myself I don't pretent that I have not egged people on and lashed out frivolously but I do try to defuse situations as best I can by playing the fool, I guess that is my gimmick, but I don't mean Ill by it.

Second of all I staunchly disagree with user moderators. I have seen far too many issues crop up in the past with the reputation of those moderators being brought into disrepute and I gave seen inappropriate user moderators act to the detriment of the forum. A moderator needs to be unbiased in their actions and usual positing and of all the names I saw suggested, all have their own standpoints that others might well challenge in a flash point.

I just think the responsibility needs to be put in the hands of the users. I think that terms and conditions should be reviewed and a mandatory review and acknowledgement required, and then with that comes a lower tollerance on people who disregard the terms of the board.

I would like to see an outright stop to posts that mention users by name with provocative intent. There are some users on here I feel genuinely are here for a bit of a wind up as is often the intention of the naming and shaming or posters and their points of view. I think all posts that call upon a radical solution to a social problem should be removed as it can be seen as inciting extremism and brings the board into disrepute.

Most of all I think we should all appreciate just how tasty Jenny Powell still is and that Nicky Campbell is an utter c0ck
[Post edited 5 Jun 2019 19:25]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

State of the Board Discussion on 19:25 - Jun 5 with 9793 viewsSpruceMoose

State of the Board Discussion on 19:23 - Jun 5 by wkj

First of all I wish to apologise for my past behavior on here at times. Although I've had a word with myself I don't pretent that I have not egged people on and lashed out frivolously but I do try to defuse situations as best I can by playing the fool, I guess that is my gimmick, but I don't mean Ill by it.

Second of all I staunchly disagree with user moderators. I have seen far too many issues crop up in the past with the reputation of those moderators being brought into disrepute and I gave seen inappropriate user moderators act to the detriment of the forum. A moderator needs to be unbiased in their actions and usual positing and of all the names I saw suggested, all have their own standpoints that others might well challenge in a flash point.

I just think the responsibility needs to be put in the hands of the users. I think that terms and conditions should be reviewed and a mandatory review and acknowledgement required, and then with that comes a lower tollerance on people who disregard the terms of the board.

I would like to see an outright stop to posts that mention users by name with provocative intent. There are some users on here I feel genuinely are here for a bit of a wind up as is often the intention of the naming and shaming or posters and their points of view. I think all posts that call upon a radical solution to a social problem should be removed as it can be seen as inciting extremism and brings the board into disrepute.

Most of all I think we should all appreciate just how tasty Jenny Powell still is and that Nicky Campbell is an utter c0ck

Unusual pitch to become a moderator.

State of the Board Discussion on 19:27 - Jun 5 with 9774 viewsHerbivore

State of the Board Discussion on 19:25 - Jun 5 by SpruceMoose

Unusual pitch to become a moderator.

Blatant power grab.

State of the Board Discussion on 19:29 - Jun 5 with 9763 viewsSpruceMoose

State of the Board Discussion on 19:27 - Jun 5 by Herbivore

Blatant power grab.

Ban him Phil.

State of the Board Discussion on 19:33 - Jun 5 with 9728 viewsDanTheMan

State of the Board Discussion on 19:23 - Jun 5 by wkj

Just as a conversely, I've seen places moderators have worked well and are able to separate their personal opinions with what the rules state. Especially when acting in more a triage role than having ultimate power.

Equally, I've seen it completely ruin otherwise good communities.

State of the Board Discussion on 19:36 - Jun 5 with 9715 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 19:33 - Jun 5 by DanTheMan

Just as a conversely, I've seen places moderators have worked well and are able to separate their personal opinions with what the rules state. Especially when acting in more a triage role than having ultimate power.

Equally, I've seen it completely ruin otherwise good communities.

Are you tailing about user moderators or Nicky Campbell

Crybaby

State of the Board Discussion on 19:38 - Jun 5 with 9700 viewsDanTheMan

State of the Board Discussion on 19:36 - Jun 5 by wkj

Are you tailing about user moderators or Nicky Campbell

Yes.

State of the Board Discussion on 19:39 - Jun 5 with 9696 viewsShropshireBluenago09

State of the Board Discussion on 19:09 - Jun 5 by SpruceMoose

Look man, I think a lot of folk, myself included have been getting too wrapped up in stuff. If you want a fresh start, no hard feelings, treat each other with respect, then I'm down.

No hard feelings. Let’s put this behind.

Gus Uhlenbeek

State of the Board Discussion on 19:40 - Jun 5 with 9682 viewsSpruceMoose

State of the Board Discussion on 19:39 - Jun 5 by ShropshireBluenago09

No hard feelings. Let’s put this behind.

Favourite cheese?

State of the Board Discussion on 19:41 - Jun 5 with 9683 viewsJETPower

As a starting point, do not accept hate speech. If you cannot identify (all) hate speech, you have to appoint someone who can.

The rest follows, the rot starts there. Needs to be a minimum standard applied, and it is clear that needs to be higher.

Sorry to be so negative, but take it as a positive that all your work over many years means that this does matter, really think a lot of people care an awful lot about the site. If you want the forum to be nicer again, I'm afraid you have to confront the most blatant nastiness.
State of the Board Discussion on 19:41 - Jun 5 with 9679 viewssundaze

State of the Board Discussion on 18:44 - Jun 5 by PJH

Just speaking personally I had not even looked at the "All these protesters" thread so I had no idea what has been going on on there.
I tend to only look at things on here that interest me so that is largely football threads as I am not all that interested in politics nor am I interested in some of the other sports that crop up on here.
I do look at threads such as this though because I think that it is all of our interests to assist you and Gav in any way that we can because this is usually a very nice place to spend some time apart from keeping us very well informed on what supposedly is a large part of all or most of our lives in ITFC.
I did say in your previous thread about abuse that I believed that TWTD is not as good now as it was twelve months ago and whilst that post of mine was slightly flippant it was based on a genuine feeling that this forum has declined. I have only been a member of it for just over four years but, possibly reflecting ITFC's woes, I think this last year has been the least enjoyable.
As to how you solve these problems I do not know but the suggested short term bans plus a final warning at the end of one of these bans that further misbehavior would lead to a permanent ban would seem to be a sensible option.
As I say, having only been on here four years I am very much a new boy but as I also say, I am not enjoying TWTD as much as I did so doing something to get it back to how it used to be would be fine with me.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 9:07]

This goes for me too. I guess we joined at the same time PJH and you have put into words exactly how I feel.

Big thanks to Phil and Gav, and I hope it starts to calm down very soon.
State of the Board Discussion on 19:42 - Jun 5 with 9669 viewskinnockers

As a new poster to this forum, I think something should be done about alt logins.

Former leader of the Labour Party / Newsround Editor

State of the Board Discussion on 19:43 - Jun 5 with 9657 viewswkj

State of the Board Discussion on 19:42 - Jun 5 by kinnockers

As a new poster to this forum, I think something should be done about alt logins.

What about they is so frustrating?

Crybaby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024