Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rain 02:06 - Jun 6 with 1949 viewsjeera

Good to see some decent rain at last.

Not so good to see hordes of emboldened slugs having a good go at demolishing my young French bean plants.

[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 16:57]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Rain on 02:59 - Jun 6 with 1930 viewsSpruceMoose

Ah the benefits of living in America. I had a slug issue, they were making towards my melon seedlings. I let loose a few rounds with my .44 and that was that.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Rain on 03:11 - Jun 6 with 1924 viewsjeera

Rain on 02:59 - Jun 6 by SpruceMoose

Ah the benefits of living in America. I had a slug issue, they were making towards my melon seedlings. I let loose a few rounds with my .44 and that was that.

Yeah, but don't you lot shoot at like the weather and stuff too?

I'm sure I saw a clip somewhere of people shooting at a storm.

Rain on 05:28 - Jun 6 with 1879 viewsRyorry

On the plus side, very pleased to see you have a garden again!

Just been reading an article on organic methods of slug control - apparently copper rings (which they won't cross) and calcium spray work well, as well as the usual beer-traps, picking off etc.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/three-ways-to-control-slugs-organically/?u

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Rain on 06:53 - Jun 6 with 1821 viewsSpruceMoose

Rain on 03:11 - Jun 6 by jeera

Yeah, but don't you lot shoot at like the weather and stuff too?

I'm sure I saw a clip somewhere of people shooting at a storm.

I think murdering a tornado is on the citizenship test.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Rain on 09:09 - Jun 6 with 1711 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Rain on 05:28 - Jun 6 by Ryorry

On the plus side, very pleased to see you have a garden again!

Just been reading an article on organic methods of slug control - apparently copper rings (which they won't cross) and calcium spray work well, as well as the usual beer-traps, picking off etc.

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/three-ways-to-control-slugs-organically/?u

Oh they cross them alright! We are indulging in total war at the moment.....30 off one brocolli plant duely chopped by Miss Slave last night. Literally hundreds of the little b@stards every night...anybody have a spare hedgehog or two?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Rain on 09:52 - Jun 6 with 1665 viewsbrazil1982

Rain on 02:59 - Jun 6 by SpruceMoose

You grow melons? Blimey.

Oddly, living in Yorkshire, I've not seen one slug in my garden for three years.
Rain on 12:18 - Jun 6 with 1606 viewsjeera

Rain on 09:52 - Jun 6 by brazil1982

You grow melons? Blimey.

Oddly, living in Yorkshire, I've not seen one slug in my garden for three years.

I went out on late night slug hunt and relocated several small-regular sized ones, but the holes in the leaves weren't matching the predators.

Then I spotted one that was so damn big I'd almost overlooked it completely.

I tend to collect them with a hand trowel, walk a few paces, then sling them as far as I can.

I heard a thump and looked down and the blade had left the hand grip. Gratefully it had landed on a neighbour's lawn.

This is something o'clock this morning, surrounded by windows and the neighbour's car.

Rain on 12:54 - Jun 6 with 1575 viewsRyorry

Rain on 09:09 - Jun 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

Oh they cross them alright! We are indulging in total war at the moment.....30 off one brocolli plant duely chopped by Miss Slave last night. Literally hundreds of the little b@stards every night...anybody have a spare hedgehog or two?

Oh right - that's copper rings off my shopping list then, ta!

Login to get fewer ads

Rain on 12:56 - Jun 6 with 1571 viewsRyorry

Rain on 09:52 - Jun 6 by brazil1982

You grow melons? Blimey.

Are you in a town?

Rain on 12:58 - Jun 6 with 1567 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Rain on 12:56 - Jun 6 by Ryorry

Are you in a town?

He breeds hedgehogs!

Rain on 13:00 - Jun 6 with 1564 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Rain on 12:54 - Jun 6 by Ryorry

Oh right - that's copper rings off my shopping list then, ta!

We are going to try coffee grounds next and diy nematodes.

Rain on 13:04 - Jun 6 with 1554 viewsRyorry

Rain on 13:00 - Jun 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

We are going to try coffee grounds next and diy nematodes.

Forgotten about coffe grounds, cheers, there's a cafe in town that has a sack of old ones for customers to help themselves.

Be interested to hear how you get on with the nematodes.

Have resorted to the very low tech method of surrounding each of my young lettuces with large rough stones!

Rain on 13:12 - Jun 6 with 1537 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Rain on 13:04 - Jun 6 by Ryorry

Forgotten about coffe grounds, cheers, there's a cafe in town that has a sack of old ones for customers to help themselves.

Be interested to hear how you get on with the nematodes.

Have resorted to the very low tech method of surrounding each of my young lettuces with large rough stones!

Great for general composting too.
Bought some nematodes last year but no obvious improvement....they do better when it's damp though and last year was very dry.

Rain on 13:44 - Jun 6 with 1495 viewsjeera

Rain on 09:09 - Jun 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

The only copper tape I've found to be effective is the one with serrated edges, which of course suggests it's the sharpness of the edge that acts as the barrier.

Trying to eat my way through more of these so to use the pots around the plant bases. Pair of scissors to make an uncomfortable top should do the trick.

It's just being bothered.

Pots not so bad as a good layer of sharp sand works well, but on the ground the stuff just washes away after a good rainfall.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024