Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why is there so little actual news now? 15:36 - Jun 6 with 3659 viewsJ2BLUE

It seems that in my lifetime we have gone from actual news in newspapers to utter garbage. At least 3/5 stories on the news widget on my iphone are about Love Island, things that someone said on Twitter or total rubbish like 'Woman rolls her eyes at Farage and gets called a hero' and 'Camilla winks behind Trump and the internet loses its mind'. What the hell? I tried changing the settings so I only got actual news or interesting stuff about science and technology. I took the time to actually opt out of Love Island news and the trash websites. Today I look and I have a news feed with Heat Magazine articles on Love Island etc. I have now deleted the news app entirely as i'm sick of it.

What is wrong with people that we need 24 hour updates on something so tedious and mind rotting? Why do we need to see actual articles on something some attention seeking div said on Twitter?

Rant over

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 15:57 - Jun 6 with 1765 viewsGeoffSentence

Newspapers seem to be stuffed full of 'opinion' rather than reporting these days. I guess it is what the punters will pay for.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:01 - Jun 6 with 1755 viewshomer_123

Why is there so little actual news now? on 15:57 - Jun 6 by GeoffSentence

Newspapers seem to be stuffed full of 'opinion' rather than reporting these days. I guess it is what the punters will pay for.

Actually, more to do with the media not investing in 'long' journalism.

The bit between daily fluff and investigative journalism has disappeared.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:03 - Jun 6 with 1749 viewsDarth_Koont

Because news is now driven by what the audiences are interested in. Even the BBC.

Oh and narratives. We apparently all need a good narrative nowadays.

I get more insightful and informative news coverage through the News Quiz on Radio 4. And I'm not even joking about that.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:07 - Jun 6 with 1735 viewsGeoffSentence

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:03 - Jun 6 by Darth_Koont

Because news is now driven by what the audiences are interested in. Even the BBC.

Oh and narratives. We apparently all need a good narrative nowadays.

I get more insightful and informative news coverage through the News Quiz on Radio 4. And I'm not even joking about that.

If Scotland gains independence, will you still be allowed radio 4?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:13 - Jun 6 with 1719 viewsfooters

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:01 - Jun 6 by homer_123

Good journalism costs money, takes months to investigate and write proper stories, and needs an informed audience.

Unfortunately people no longer expect to pay for anything, so 'newspapers' must cast their nets far and wide to reach the maximum readership. Sadly that means appealing to the lowest common denominator and using interns to write clickbait sh1te.

Who'd be a journo now?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:20 - Jun 6 with 1691 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sounds like you could be at fault for using Apps with news alerts / feeds.

Choose a couple of websites that you respect and stick to them.

If you let the news find you, then you will get a lot of crap. If you go and find the news, you'll probably get less crap.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:21 - Jun 6 with 1689 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:07 - Jun 6 by GeoffSentence

If Scotland gains independence, will you still be allowed radio 4?

They'll never take our wireless!!

Based on how the Czech Republic and Slovakia split worked then state organisations are split according to population. To be honest, I think taking a little bit of the BBC but no more would be great.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:22 - Jun 6 with 1684 viewsvilanovablue

There is plenty of real news out there it just takes time to track it down as it is now much more disseminated as a consequence of the death of print media and the rise of the internet. If anything there is too much opinion and not enough journalism. As another poster pointed out our desire for free stuff is largely responsible. The almost total destruction of the local press is one consequence which I personally think is a tragedy.
Login to get fewer ads

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:23 - Jun 6 with 1674 viewsGeoffSentence

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:21 - Jun 6 by Darth_Koont

They'll never take our wireless!!

Based on how the Czech Republic and Slovakia split worked then state organisations are split according to population. To be honest, I think taking a little bit of the BBC but no more would be great.

You'd get BBC Scotland. That should be good.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:24 - Jun 6 with 1666 viewsSwansea_Blue

Real journalism isn't in demand as people don't have the attention spa....

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:24 - Jun 6 with 1658 viewsfooters

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:20 - Jun 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

Sounds like you could be at fault for using Apps with news alerts / feeds.

Choose a couple of websites that you respect and stick to them.

If you let the news find you, then you will get a lot of crap. If you go and find the news, you'll probably get less crap.

He was using the Heat magazine app. Shocking how little science and technology they print these days.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:24 - Jun 6 with 1658 viewsBlueBadger

Interestingly enough, in this years longlist for the Paul Foot awards has several writers for buzzfeed listed as well as a fair few local news writers.
https://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2019/news/regional-reporters-face-national-co

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:24 - Jun 6 with 1655 viewsSitfcB

All about clicks and hits innit.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:25 - Jun 6 with 1658 viewshomer_123

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:13 - Jun 6 by footers

Good journalism costs money, takes months to investigate and write proper stories, and needs an informed audience.

Unfortunately people no longer expect to pay for anything, so 'newspapers' must cast their nets far and wide to reach the maximum readership. Sadly that means appealing to the lowest common denominator and using interns to write clickbait sh1te.

Who'd be a journo now?

'Unfortunately people no longer expect to pay for anything'.

Not quite (sorry came across a tad harsh!) the case - if so, then companies like Apple and Tesla would not exist. The issue here is that the internet and allowed the proliferation and watering down of the news.

People are willing and do pay for things, if they see a value. The question is - the value has largely gone, so hence people won't pay.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 16:25]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:26 - Jun 6 with 1649 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:23 - Jun 6 by GeoffSentence

You'd get BBC Scotland. That should be good.

And a bit of the national/international stuff too.

I think we should hold out for Phoebe Waller-Bridge and David Attenborough and you can have the rest.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:27 - Jun 6 with 1642 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

My analogy for you ladies and gents.

News is now revenue driven, so real news is replaced by popular culture and sensationalist, misleading headlines to drive clickbait, which means that there is more of this drivel and less real news to casually stumble upon. Thinkers have to work harder to find real news and idiots can easily access this stuff, which they gobble up, meaning more of it is produced, which converts a small population of those on the boundary between the two and so it continues until it worsens and worsens.

It's like ladies peeing in a public toilet.

When they do so they don't like to sit on the seat because of whatever has gone on before, so they hover to do their thing, which in part creates the situation which they were hoping to avoid themselves, meaning the next girl up is even more likely to hover and more likely to then worsen the situation for the next one and so on. If none of them did so the problem wouldn't exist, but like this format of the 'news' it does.

Bottom line?

Modern media = taking the p*ss

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:28 - Jun 6 with 1634 viewsfooters

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:25 - Jun 6 by homer_123

'Unfortunately people no longer expect to pay for anything'.

Not quite (sorry came across a tad harsh!) the case - if so, then companies like Apple and Tesla would not exist. The issue here is that the internet and allowed the proliferation and watering down of the news.

People are willing and do pay for things, if they see a value. The question is - the value has largely gone, so hence people won't pay.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2019 16:25]

True. Though I'm mainly talking about mainstream journalism.

It was a bit chicken and egg with the whole conversion to the internet. How do you convince someone to pay for something that they can't see initially?

Many, many editors completely fcked up their digital strategies which is why we are where we are. The Guardian is often mocked for its financial performance, but at least it made a profit this year, despite that being through the begging bowl approach. Think they go it right by keeping it free and working it like that though.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:30 - Jun 6 with 1620 viewsSpruceMoose

Twitter.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:30 - Jun 6 with 1612 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:24 - Jun 6 by footers

He was using the Heat magazine app. Shocking how little science and technology they print these days.

LOL.

Shock as Heat reader receives Love Island update...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:32 - Jun 6 with 1606 viewsGeoffSentence

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:13 - Jun 6 by footers

Who'd be a journo now?

I actually went and looked at the morning star website after you baited us with a scrren shot of your tabs the other day.

What a load of bollix that is! I was expecting it to be a bit more broadsheety, like a more left wing Guardian, but it was closer to The Sun than The Guardian.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:37 - Jun 6 with 1566 viewsJ2BLUE

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:30 - Jun 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

LOL.

Shock as Heat reader receives Love Island update...

Are you really falling for that?

Iphone news app is supposed to give you a mix if news. You can, allegedly, opt out of the sh1te but I tried that and it didn't work so I deleted it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:37 - Jun 6 with 1564 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed.

Actually a bit surprised that the news hasn't split more between Reuters-style "this has happened" and more investigative and deeper journalism like the Economist.

Instead most papers and TV channels try to do a bit of both as well as chucking in click-bait opinion pieces to try and beat the others doing the same thing. With the result that they don't really have any journalistic identity or integrity any more.

And that's without even discussing how the largely right-wing political interests of media owners are allowed to dictate not juts their own coverage but also the agenda.

It's sad to say but I think you'll end up knowing more about what's going on in the world today and how it really works from reading books that are a few years old than you will from watching or reading current affairs news.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:38 - Jun 6 with 1561 viewsgordon

'Hysteria on Football Forum as Man Complains About Iphone News App'
Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:43 - Jun 6 with 1535 viewsDarth_Koont

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:38 - Jun 6 by gordon

'Hysteria on Football Forum as Man Complains About Iphone News App'

Haha. Nailed it.

Just need a random picture of some tortured eggs, a quote from Phil taken out of context as a Mr Jobsworth forum admin and we're ready to print.

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:44 - Jun 6 with 1531 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Why is there so little actual news now? on 16:37 - Jun 6 by J2BLUE

Are you really falling for that?

Iphone news app is supposed to give you a mix if news. You can, allegedly, opt out of the sh1te but I tried that and it didn't work so I deleted it.

Wise choice.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024