Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Right Decision... 15:05 - Jun 7 with 1355 viewsShropshireBluenago09

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48554853

Gus Uhlenbeek

The Right Decision... on 16:19 - Jun 7 with 1289 viewslowhouseblue

only decision the high court could ever have reached (i might have said that previously in fact).

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The Right Decision... on 16:48 - Jun 7 with 1264 viewsWeWereZombies

The money could have been put to much better use, and the claimant is going to appeal. I guess the result will be the same again.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

The Right Decision... on 16:52 - Jun 7 with 1262 viewsHerbivore

I do like the way they don't deny that he deliberately lied, but rather their argument is that because he lied brazenly in public it shouldn't be covered by the offence of misconduct in public office. So basically there's no legal recourse at all to prevent politicians knowingly lying to the public. Gotta love democracy!

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The Right Decision... on 17:01 - Jun 7 with 1251 viewslowhouseblue

The Right Decision... on 16:52 - Jun 7 by Herbivore

I do like the way they don't deny that he deliberately lied, but rather their argument is that because he lied brazenly in public it shouldn't be covered by the offence of misconduct in public office. So basically there's no legal recourse at all to prevent politicians knowingly lying to the public. Gotta love democracy!

we don't have judicial activism and we don't use the courts to arbitrate in political debates. political debates which take place openly in public, which are adversarial, and which are based upon freedom of speech don't need the courts to act as nanny. if you think your opponents have lied, put your case and see which of you the voters believe. perhaps they stopped believing either side?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The Right Decision... on 17:27 - Jun 7 with 1230 viewsHerbivore

The Right Decision... on 17:01 - Jun 7 by lowhouseblue

we don't have judicial activism and we don't use the courts to arbitrate in political debates. political debates which take place openly in public, which are adversarial, and which are based upon freedom of speech don't need the courts to act as nanny. if you think your opponents have lied, put your case and see which of you the voters believe. perhaps they stopped believing either side?

Although if you're lying when you know you're lying is that really how we want our politicians to conduct themselves? It's hopelessly idealistic to suggest that they will simply be argued down through healthy debate. The rise in populism is predicated on lies and half truths being proposed with no recourse or meaningful challenge. When there is meaningful challenge it's then shouted down. If you think it's okay for politics to just be about who can shout loudest and get the most listeners then fair enough, personally I think that's pretty dangerous.

The Right Decision... on 17:54 - Jun 7 with 1188 viewsgiant_stow

The Right Decision... on 16:19 - Jun 7 by lowhouseblue

only decision the high court could ever have reached (i might have said that previously in fact).

You have indeed been proved right, but I think that's a terrible pity personally.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The Right Decision... on 17:57 - Jun 7 with 1182 viewsShropshireBluenago09

The Right Decision... on 17:54 - Jun 7 by giant_stow

You have indeed been proved right, but I think that's a terrible pity personally.

Boris would have been the scapegoat, the others were all there advocating the same

Gus Uhlenbeek

The Right Decision... on 17:57 - Jun 7 with 1183 viewsJ2BLUE

As I said last week, I would have been amazed with any other result. A sixth form law student should have been able to get him out of that.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

The Right Decision... on 18:06 - Jun 7 with 1164 viewslowhouseblue

The Right Decision... on 17:27 - Jun 7 by Herbivore

Although if you're lying when you know you're lying is that really how we want our politicians to conduct themselves? It's hopelessly idealistic to suggest that they will simply be argued down through healthy debate. The rise in populism is predicated on lies and half truths being proposed with no recourse or meaningful challenge. When there is meaningful challenge it's then shouted down. If you think it's okay for politics to just be about who can shout loudest and get the most listeners then fair enough, personally I think that's pretty dangerous.

it's simplistic more than idealistic. calling the politicians we disagree with 'liars' does't really rise the level of political debate. the idea that politics comes down to right and wrong in such an clear cut way that a court can label one side liars and the other side correct is pretty blinkered. i can think boris was wrong in what he said without thinking he lied. you campaign in poetry not prose - it has nothing to do with the courts. and populism is heart rather than head stuff - it's got nothing to do with who has the most reliable statistics - you've already lost the debate if you think it is.

The Right Decision... on 18:14 - Jun 7 with 1148 viewsHerbivore

The Right Decision... on 18:06 - Jun 7 by lowhouseblue

it's simplistic more than idealistic. calling the politicians we disagree with 'liars' does't really rise the level of political debate. the idea that politics comes down to right and wrong in such an clear cut way that a court can label one side liars and the other side correct is pretty blinkered. i can think boris was wrong in what he said without thinking he lied. you campaign in poetry not prose - it has nothing to do with the courts. and populism is heart rather than head stuff - it's got nothing to do with who has the most reliable statistics - you've already lost the debate if you think it is.

You're not engaging honestly here. I'm not talking about winning arguments through decent debate or about disagreeing with views. I'm talking about lying and deliberate dishonesty. The case here is that the figure Boris quoted was widely debunked and he continued to use it despite knowing it was not accurate. That is deliberate deceit, it is lying. It's not about disagreeing with views. If you're comfortable with that then that's on you, but I'm not comfortable with it.

The Right Decision... on 21:00 - Jun 7 with 1071 viewslowhouseblue

The Right Decision... on 18:14 - Jun 7 by Herbivore

You're not engaging honestly here. I'm not talking about winning arguments through decent debate or about disagreeing with views. I'm talking about lying and deliberate dishonesty. The case here is that the figure Boris quoted was widely debunked and he continued to use it despite knowing it was not accurate. That is deliberate deceit, it is lying. It's not about disagreeing with views. If you're comfortable with that then that's on you, but I'm not comfortable with it.

it's rhetoric not lying. nothing to do with the courts and the high court has confirmed that. truth is slippery stuff.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024