Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bon Scott 21:35 - Jun 7 with 2433 viewsgtsb

The most underrated front man ever. Anyone here see him live. I wish I had.

Bon Scott on 22:00 - Jun 7 with 2396 viewsDeano69

Absolutely superb. But sadly didn’t seem him live.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Bon Scott on 22:19 - Jun 7 with 2372 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

He was a great front man.
Saw them in 1979 at Hammersmith Odeon, amazing gig ably supported by a youthful Def Leppard.
Still had that raw edge to them then, Scott had that glint in his eye & great stage presence.

Brian Johnson tbf was a bloody good replacement.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Bon Scott on 22:32 - Jun 7 with 2346 viewsMelford

Proper sh!tkicking Rock and Roll band.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Bon Scott on 23:04 - Jun 7 with 2317 viewsBent_double

He's good, but Angus Young upstages him in that clip!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Bon Scott on 23:33 - Jun 7 with 2301 viewsWeWereZombies

I must have seen him when AC/DC supported The Stranglers and The Who at Wembley in 1979 but I am probably going to ignite the ongoing debate with Radlett Blue when I say I thought that AC/DC were mediocre (Nils Lofgren was great, The Stranglers were immense and The Who were astonishing). The only song I can remember AC/DC doing was 'Whole Lotta Rosie' and that was mainly because a bunch of lads in front of us were ecstatic about it. Sorry but just not my thing, although I am nowhere as scathing about them as contributor Mike Doherty on this link:

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/wembley-79-photos.html

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Bon Scott on 23:51 - Jun 7 with 2284 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Bon Scott on 23:33 - Jun 7 by WeWereZombies

I must have seen him when AC/DC supported The Stranglers and The Who at Wembley in 1979 but I am probably going to ignite the ongoing debate with Radlett Blue when I say I thought that AC/DC were mediocre (Nils Lofgren was great, The Stranglers were immense and The Who were astonishing). The only song I can remember AC/DC doing was 'Whole Lotta Rosie' and that was mainly because a bunch of lads in front of us were ecstatic about it. Sorry but just not my thing, although I am nowhere as scathing about them as contributor Mike Doherty on this link:

He would have been lead singer on the night in question, he died February 1980.
Although i,m an immense fan of the band, they were mediocre at best mid 80,s at the NEC, but that was the only gig they were not at their best in the 8 or so times i saw them live.

Mike Doherty obviously not a fan though.

Fair enough, not every ones cup of tea. Got to agree re the Stranglers, great live band.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Bon Scott on 00:58 - Jun 8 with 2262 viewsBlueBadger

Don't get me wrong, he was f*cking brilliant, but 'underrated' is an entirely incorrect adjective here.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Bon Scott on 07:12 - Jun 8 with 2221 viewsdickie

Bon Scott on 00:58 - Jun 8 by BlueBadger

Don't get me wrong, he was f*cking brilliant, but 'underrated' is an entirely incorrect adjective here.

Was going to make the same point - he is widely regarded as one of the greatest front men ever!
Login to get fewer ads

Bon Scott on 07:28 - Jun 8 with 2208 viewsSwansea_Blue

About at underrated as SBR!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Bon Scott on 08:47 - Jun 8 with 2166 viewsgtsb

Bon Scott on 07:12 - Jun 8 by dickie

Was going to make the same point - he is widely regarded as one of the greatest front men ever!

Yes I didn't use the best word there did I. What I was getting at though was that whenever you see clips of the band, I've seen two this week, they always show Brian Johnson yet all the bands best stuff was with Scott although Back in Black stands right up there.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 8:59]
Bon Scott on 08:49 - Jun 8 with 2158 viewsRadlett_blue

Bon Scott on 23:33 - Jun 7 by WeWereZombies

As soon as I saw this thread I couldn't wait to get involved!
When I went to this gig, I was no fan of heavy metal or AC/DC and when their set started, to paraphrase Mark Antony, I came to mock them, not to praise them. However, apart from their amusing tendency to finish every song with a crescendo of thrashing guitars, which meant you could tell when one song finished and the next one began, they played an excellent set and won me over.
As to The Strangler, this piece from your link says it all for me "I don’t think Wembley really lended itself to a band like them and this wasn’t assisted by them playing pretty much all of their new and relatively unheard ‘Black & White’ album." Were you the nutter who got his kit off by the pitch?
As to The Who, I thought they were great, although having never seen them before, I then couldn't quite get that Kenney Jones could never be Keith Moon.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Bon Scott on 09:20 - Jun 8 with 2122 viewsWeWereZombies

Bon Scott on 08:49 - Jun 8 by Radlett_blue

As soon as I saw this thread I couldn't wait to get involved!
When I went to this gig, I was no fan of heavy metal or AC/DC and when their set started, to paraphrase Mark Antony, I came to mock them, not to praise them. However, apart from their amusing tendency to finish every song with a crescendo of thrashing guitars, which meant you could tell when one song finished and the next one began, they played an excellent set and won me over.
As to The Strangler, this piece from your link says it all for me "I don’t think Wembley really lended itself to a band like them and this wasn’t assisted by them playing pretty much all of their new and relatively unheard ‘Black & White’ album." Were you the nutter who got his kit off by the pitch?
As to The Who, I thought they were great, although having never seen them before, I then couldn't quite get that Kenney Jones could never be Keith Moon.

No, I was clothed throughout, but thank you for considering me as someone suitably unrestrained. Would have been a shock for my younger brother, although I did know a lad from Racecourse Ward who threw his kit off and danced onstage with Hawkwind at a Windsor Free Festival about five years earlier.

It was the uncompromising attitude that day that I loved about The Stranglers, they didn't come just to be a support band, they were not interested in satisfying the crowd with a set full of past hits (perhaps you could level the charge of being just another rock band out to shift the latest product) and they filled the stage with a disgustingly overwhelming cloud of brown and green smoke, a full on punk attitude to leaven the standard rock stadium gig. The set listing on the link I posted does not correspond to my memory, I am sure they opened with the suitably confrontational 'Tank' but I agree on 'Toiler On The Sea' closing things.

Nils Lofgren was great that day too, suffered the usual opening act indifference of the crowd and countered it by playing blistering solos as he did backward somersaults off his twin mini trampolines either side of the stage. I think it was a month later that he played the Gaumont and Anne Nightingale introduced him because the gig was recorded for a BBC Two 'In Concert', that was even better than his Wembley set.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Bon Scott on 10:18 - Jun 8 with 2072 viewsGuthrum

Bon Scott on 08:47 - Jun 8 by gtsb

Yes I didn't use the best word there did I. What I was getting at though was that whenever you see clips of the band, I've seen two this week, they always show Brian Johnson yet all the bands best stuff was with Scott although Back in Black stands right up there.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 8:59]

Simply the case that a lot more (modern broadcast quality) video has been recorded - and more albums produced - in the Johnson era than Scott's time. It was only really four or five years between their international breakthrough and the latter's death.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024