Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
War, what is it good for? 14:37 - Jun 8 with 1249 viewsnoggin

In this week where we remember those who fought for our freedom, I think this film really brings home the horrible reality of war. After watching it, I have so many questions as to how we as a nation celebrate victory. The whole Falklands conflict was so unnecessary and anyone who celebrates it with a 'Rule Britannia' attitude should watch from start to finish, preferably on a big screen.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

War, what is it good for? on 15:09 - Jun 8 with 1214 viewsazuremerlangus

I think celebrate is the wrong term to use. Most conflicts/wars have come about after an act of aggression followed by (failed) exhaustive diplomacy to try and find a peaceful solution. Sometimes you have to throw a punch even though you don't want to.

As for the Falklands conflict (not actually a war) you could argue that they were defended properly to start with then it would have never happened in the first place. Anyway, the Argentines never thought we would bother with the huge logistics required and during the southern hemisphere winter to boot.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

War, what is it good for? on 15:21 - Jun 8 with 1194 viewsnoggin

War, what is it good for? on 15:09 - Jun 8 by azuremerlangus

I think celebrate is the wrong term to use. Most conflicts/wars have come about after an act of aggression followed by (failed) exhaustive diplomacy to try and find a peaceful solution. Sometimes you have to throw a punch even though you don't want to.

As for the Falklands conflict (not actually a war) you could argue that they were defended properly to start with then it would have never happened in the first place. Anyway, the Argentines never thought we would bother with the huge logistics required and during the southern hemisphere winter to boot.

Again though, I say, anyone who says/thinks "The Argies got what they deserved" should watch this film. Did any of those soldiers,on either side, get what they deserved? Look at the tears in the eyes of the men who had to tell their stories. The British soldier who tried to kill himself because he had to leave an injured colleague on The Sir Galahad, only to find out after that the guy had actuall survived. Then the huge celebrations when those who survived returned. There are still many men suffering dreadful PTSD and all for what?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

War, what is it good for? on 15:40 - Jun 8 with 1165 viewsazuremerlangus

War, what is it good for? on 15:21 - Jun 8 by noggin

Again though, I say, anyone who says/thinks "The Argies got what they deserved" should watch this film. Did any of those soldiers,on either side, get what they deserved? Look at the tears in the eyes of the men who had to tell their stories. The British soldier who tried to kill himself because he had to leave an injured colleague on The Sir Galahad, only to find out after that the guy had actuall survived. Then the huge celebrations when those who survived returned. There are still many men suffering dreadful PTSD and all for what?

I agree with you - conflict for those on the frontline can be very messy; both physically and mentally. Unfortunately this kind of dirty work has to be done by somebody when everything else fails.

These days PTSD is better understood (and not just for the military) and treatment has evolved immensely in recent years. Combat Stress is one of the service charities I have supported as their work has done wonders for many.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 15:43]

War, what is it good for? on 15:44 - Jun 8 with 1157 viewsPendejo

War, what is it good for? on 15:09 - Jun 8 by azuremerlangus

Aren't there are a number of conspiracy theories surrounding The Falklands Conflict?

How the Galtieri was perhaps not dissuaded sufficiently proactively enough and Maggie needed something to rally the people.

Until it was invaded would really have worried if the islands were ceded peacefully? Personally, I'd never heard of the place, I was only 13 but was avid viewer of maps.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

War, what is it good for? on 16:52 - Jun 8 with 1100 viewsazuremerlangus

War, what is it good for? on 15:44 - Jun 8 by Pendejo

Aren't there are a number of conspiracy theories surrounding The Falklands Conflict?

How the Galtieri was perhaps not dissuaded sufficiently proactively enough and Maggie needed something to rally the people.

Until it was invaded would really have worried if the islands were ceded peacefully? Personally, I'd never heard of the place, I was only 13 but was avid viewer of maps.

It does appear to have come along just at the right time for Maggie. However, regardless of the invasion politics it was still a big gamble to take back by force. Just bombing the runway at Stanley via Ascension involved many refuellings on the way (and back) and those flying tankers doing it also had to fuel each other in a very tight time/place sequence to ensure the bombers managed a round trip.

Given the sacrifice to liberate the islands back I think to cede it back peacefully is now a non-starter.

War, what is it good for? on 16:56 - Jun 8 with 1094 viewsPendejo

War, what is it good for? on 16:52 - Jun 8 by azuremerlangus

It does appear to have come along just at the right time for Maggie. However, regardless of the invasion politics it was still a big gamble to take back by force. Just bombing the runway at Stanley via Ascension involved many refuellings on the way (and back) and those flying tankers doing it also had to fuel each other in a very tight time/place sequence to ensure the bombers managed a round trip.

Given the sacrifice to liberate the islands back I think to cede it back peacefully is now a non-starter.

Up until 2nd April 1982, ceding it was an option... the moment they invaded, however...

I wish I could remember the book I read about how Govt ignored intelligence reports warning them it was going to happen.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

War, what is it good for? on 21:46 - Jun 8 with 1001 viewsGuthrum

War, what is it good for? on 16:56 - Jun 8 by Pendejo

Up until 2nd April 1982, ceding it was an option... the moment they invaded, however...

I wish I could remember the book I read about how Govt ignored intelligence reports warning them it was going to happen.

I really think that, if the Argentines had not invaded, they would have had some sort of joint sovreignty by now. The UK government really didn't want the expense of running the Falklands.

Once it hapened, the chances of that were put back by at least 50 years.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2019 21:55]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

War, what is it good for? on 00:21 - Jun 9 with 949 viewssyntaxerror

My late father left his command of HMS Antelope a year before the Falklands war, and was forever guilty about it.
Login to get fewer ads

War, what is it good for? on 00:50 - Jun 9 with 937 viewsfloridablue

Thanks for posting as I'd never seen this. One hour in and it's already altering my views/opinion as to how I thought almost 40 years ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024