Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This sums Boris up really 08:42 - Jun 10 with 12293 viewsHerbivore

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48577579

No creativity, no principles, just try to buy power at all costs by offering rich people a tax cut. Totally out of touch with reality to offer a £10bn tax cut to the most well off when there are millions living in poverty and public services are in crisis.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 9:08]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This sums Boris up really on 09:18 - Jun 10 with 4522 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

How can you allow the country to be run by a man that looks like a 5 year olds school project?

He looks like a meatball that's been covered in glue, and rolled in hair. He can't even use a comb or tuck his shirt in but people will allow him to run the country. F*** me.

As you say, he's gone straight for looking after his mates in the hope he can buy influence. Not even pretending to give a monkeys about the poor or common folk.

Add to that he is the face of the Brexit fiasco. It should be inconceivable that someone so associated with this sh*tstorm and feeding the public utter lies could have the gall to them be up for Prime Minister. Logic says you should be hiding in a bunker somewhere.

What a joke this country is. 10% of the people has always owned 90% of the wealth but now that 10% isn't even bothering to pretend to care about the other 90% it should have to rely upon to get elected.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

This sums Boris up really on 09:18 - Jun 10 with 4523 viewsUB9Blue

Must admit I thought this rather a strange key policy. I can only assume that he is trying to appeal directly to those fearful of JC possible onslaught of higher tax payers.
Purely from a public appeal position it would make sense to raise tax thresholds to benefit the lower paid, thereby benefiting a greater number of individuals and families?
This sums Boris up really on 09:21 - Jun 10 with 4524 viewsWeWereZombies

I disagree on the lack of creativity. He is bidding for selection by, is it, the 1922 committee? So he will make appeals to them first. If successful he will perhaps suggest tax cuts could be rolled out to the top 5% of taxpayers. That will get him the membership votes.

Come a General Election he will be able to say things have changed and offer tax cuts to all. Probably has some one pagers already written up on the various scenarios...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

This sums Boris up really on 09:27 - Jun 10 with 4504 viewsHerbivore

This sums Boris up really on 09:21 - Jun 10 by WeWereZombies

I disagree on the lack of creativity. He is bidding for selection by, is it, the 1922 committee? So he will make appeals to them first. If successful he will perhaps suggest tax cuts could be rolled out to the top 5% of taxpayers. That will get him the membership votes.

Come a General Election he will be able to say things have changed and offer tax cuts to all. Probably has some one pagers already written up on the various scenarios...

Tax cuts are the least creative way imaginable to try and buy votes.

I just hope that the working class Brexit voters who see him as a hero can now see that he doesn't care about them one jot. An interesting sub plot is that he intends to pay for this tax cut out of the no deal planning fund. Is he moving away from no deal at all costs or is he just not arsed about making things add up?

This sums Boris up really on 09:29 - Jun 10 with 4490 viewsSwansea_Blue

This sums Boris up really on 09:18 - Jun 10 by WarkTheWarkITFC

How can you allow the country to be run by a man that looks like a 5 year olds school project?

He looks like a meatball that's been covered in glue, and rolled in hair. He can't even use a comb or tuck his shirt in but people will allow him to run the country. F*** me.

As you say, he's gone straight for looking after his mates in the hope he can buy influence. Not even pretending to give a monkeys about the poor or common folk.

Add to that he is the face of the Brexit fiasco. It should be inconceivable that someone so associated with this sh*tstorm and feeding the public utter lies could have the gall to them be up for Prime Minister. Logic says you should be hiding in a bunker somewhere.

What a joke this country is. 10% of the people has always owned 90% of the wealth but now that 10% isn't even bothering to pretend to care about the other 90% it should have to rely upon to get elected.

I don't think he's going for his mates (they'll be earning significantly more). He's playing to the core, older, moderately wealthy Tory member who's likely to be voting in the second phase of this leadership race.

Edit - ah, I see Zombie's already made this point.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 9:36]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This sums Boris up really on 09:33 - Jun 10 with 4475 viewsGuthrum

This sums Boris up really on 09:21 - Jun 10 by WeWereZombies

First stage is a series of eliminating ballots among all the Conservative MPs. Then, once down to the final two, the choice is put to the party membership nationally. The 1922 Committee writes the rules of the contest, but otherwise has no more power than the rest of the parliamentary party.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This sums Boris up really on 09:38 - Jun 10 with 4461 viewsbrazil1982

42% tax currently over £50k. Is he saying he will amend this to 42% when you reach £80k?
This sums Boris up really on 09:40 - Jun 10 with 4462 viewsGuthrum

Myopically short-sighted as a policy. Cutting tax income would necessitate either raising revenue elsewhere (improbable), increased government borrowing (unacceptable) or further reduction in public services (most likely, but most damaging to the country).

It would further reduce wriggle room in what is already widely acknowleged to be an impossibly tight situation. Johnson (or any other od the aspiring candidates), as Prime Minister, would have to deal with that.

Perhaps they belive the present administration is doomed and unlikely to achieve re-elction anyway, so it's just empty promises.

Login to get fewer ads

This sums Boris up really on 09:46 - Jun 10 with 4430 viewsSwansea_Blue

This sums Boris up really on 09:38 - Jun 10 by brazil1982

42% tax currently over £50k. Is he saying he will amend this to 42% when you reach £80k?

Yep. Proposing to raise the 40p threshold from £50k to £80k.

I'm dead against it, even though we'd be quids in in our house (although there would be stealth taxes introduced to claw some of that back, and I've seen that NI contributions would likely rise). It's a mind numbingly daft idea, obviously just aimed at him securing the votes to become PM. (Edit - assuming he gets that far in the process!).
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 9:46]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This sums Boris up really on 09:48 - Jun 10 with 4421 viewsWeWereZombies

This sums Boris up really on 09:40 - Jun 10 by Guthrum

Myopically short-sighted as a policy. Cutting tax income would necessitate either raising revenue elsewhere (improbable), increased government borrowing (unacceptable) or further reduction in public services (most likely, but most damaging to the country).

It would further reduce wriggle room in what is already widely acknowleged to be an impossibly tight situation. Johnson (or any other od the aspiring candidates), as Prime Minister, would have to deal with that.

Perhaps they belive the present administration is doomed and unlikely to achieve re-elction anyway, so it's just empty promises.

Good points there (and thanks for clarifying the selection process earlier, it was incredibly lazy of me not to look that up). I would just like to point out that there are two 'd's in odd but quite a restrained word for the aspiring candidates.

This sums Boris up really on 09:53 - Jun 10 with 4397 viewsGuthrum

This sums Boris up really on 09:48 - Jun 10 by WeWereZombies

Good points there (and thanks for clarifying the selection process earlier, it was incredibly lazy of me not to look that up). I would just like to point out that there are two 'd's in odd but quite a restrained word for the aspiring candidates.

Serendipitous dyslexia

This sums Boris up really on 09:53 - Jun 10 with 4399 viewsShropshireBluenago09

They all seem to be blowing up. First Gove, now Boris.
There are only 2 viable options now , IMO; Hancock and Stewart

Gus Uhlenbeek

This sums Boris up really on 09:58 - Jun 10 with 4379 viewsGeoffSentence

This sums Boris up really on 09:46 - Jun 10 by Swansea_Blue

I'm dead against it, even though we'd be quids in in our house (although there would be stealth taxes introduced to claw some of that back, and I've seen that NI contributions would likely rise). It's a mind numbingly daft idea, obviously just aimed at him securing the votes to become PM. (Edit - assuming he gets that far in the process!).

Same here. We'd be better off, but the country wouldn't.

If the tories do back Boris based on this it really shows whose interests they have at heart.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This sums Boris up really on 10:01 - Jun 10 with 4370 viewsbrazil1982

Thanks, so Herbs thinks anyone earning up to £80k is "rich"?!
This sums Boris up really on 10:02 - Jun 10 with 4368 viewsGuthrum

This sums Boris up really on 09:53 - Jun 10 by ShropshireBluenago09

They all seem to be blowing up. First Gove, now Boris.
There are only 2 viable options now , IMO; Hancock and Stewart

Problem is, I don't think this counts as a "blow up" (neither were Javid or Raab's proclamations). They might be pushing non-viable policies, but that will still appeal to a large section of the Conservative Party. Especially among those so keen to achieve Brexit they are seemingly prepared to go to any length up to and including war with Europe in order for it to happen.

Gove, on the other hand, probably has cooked his goose. One wonders if his admission was to peempt a revelation from somewhere else. Maybe Boris' payback for being stabbed the last time?

This sums Boris up really on 10:05 - Jun 10 with 4356 viewsGuthrum

This sums Boris up really on 10:01 - Jun 10 by brazil1982

If you're earning between £50k and £80k per annum as an individual, you are unquestionably rather well off. Around double the national average for full-time work.

This sums Boris up really on 10:07 - Jun 10 with 4345 viewslowhouseblue

two words: lynton crosby.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This sums Boris up really on 10:07 - Jun 10 with 4345 viewsBlueBadger

This sums Boris up really on 10:02 - Jun 10 by Guthrum

Problem is, I don't think this counts as a "blow up" (neither were Javid or Raab's proclamations). They might be pushing non-viable policies, but that will still appeal to a large section of the Conservative Party. Especially among those so keen to achieve Brexit they are seemingly prepared to go to any length up to and including war with Europe in order for it to happen.

Gove, on the other hand, probably has cooked his goose. One wonders if his admission was to peempt a revelation from somewhere else. Maybe Boris' payback for being stabbed the last time?

I seem to recall seeing somewhere this weekend that the Mail were due to start serialising a book about Gove.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This sums Boris up really on 10:12 - Jun 10 with 4323 viewsBlueBadger

Well, you're highly unlikely to be worrying if you're going to be able to fuel the car, feed the kids and pay the bills at that level, if that helps.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This sums Boris up really on 10:22 - Jun 10 with 4307 viewsHerbivore

If you're earning between two and three times the national average wage as an individual you are certainly comparatively wealthy and shouldn't be a priority for financial relief.

This sums Boris up really on 10:27 - Jun 10 with 4281 viewsStokieBlue

It's ~500 per month more if you are at the 80k limit I believe?

Surely that money can be better spent as collected taxes on other things. Most people at that level can do without that boost.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This sums Boris up really on 10:29 - Jun 10 with 4272 viewsbrazil1982

This sums Boris up really on 10:22 - Jun 10 by Herbivore

If you're earning between two and three times the national average wage as an individual you are certainly comparatively wealthy and shouldn't be a priority for financial relief.

Maybe not, but I would hardly think of people earning £80k / year as "rich"
This sums Boris up really on 10:42 - Jun 10 with 4242 viewsOldsmoker

Where most Tories reference Thatcher and try to position themselves as the one most likely to restore Thatcherism, Johnson wants to emulate Churchill. He believes that he has the gravitas and intelligence to be held in comparison.
He had many "vanity" projects as Mayor of London - new buses, Boris bikes, Garden bridge, Estuary airport and the cable-car. All of these projects failed to match the hype but did suceed in wasting large amounts of taxpayers money.
He wants to be remembered, he wants to leave a legacy, to have a statue somewhere to commerorate him as a great leader.
If he becomes PM then expect a lot of wasted taxpayers money spent in all the wrong places. PMQ's will be a waste of time as he will never answer a question choosing instead to waffle and throw insults.
He has too many enemies amongst the senior Tory MP's to unite the party and some of them will be plotting from day one to get rid of him.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

This sums Boris up really on 10:52 - Jun 10 with 4229 viewsWeWereZombies

This sums Boris up really on 10:42 - Jun 10 by Oldsmoker

Where most Tories reference Thatcher and try to position themselves as the one most likely to restore Thatcherism, Johnson wants to emulate Churchill. He believes that he has the gravitas and intelligence to be held in comparison.
He had many "vanity" projects as Mayor of London - new buses, Boris bikes, Garden bridge, Estuary airport and the cable-car. All of these projects failed to match the hype but did suceed in wasting large amounts of taxpayers money.
He wants to be remembered, he wants to leave a legacy, to have a statue somewhere to commerorate him as a great leader.
If he becomes PM then expect a lot of wasted taxpayers money spent in all the wrong places. PMQ's will be a waste of time as he will never answer a question choosing instead to waffle and throw insults.
He has too many enemies amongst the senior Tory MP's to unite the party and some of them will be plotting from day one to get rid of him.

Quid autem velit, et credimus libenter et, quae ipsi sentiunt, ut alii sentiunt et imaginari.

This sums Boris up really on 10:55 - Jun 10 with 4221 viewsHerbivore

This sums Boris up really on 10:29 - Jun 10 by brazil1982

Maybe not, but I would hardly think of people earning £80k / year as "rich"

People using food banks would think of them as rich. It's all about perspective.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024