Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'other' World Cup 15:28 - Jun 10 with 3882 viewsFixed_It

Am I the only one who thinks the BBC and other media are trying just a bit too hard to drum up interest, pretending it is something which it isn't? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the women's game is starting to take off - but let's not force the issue. Let it evolve naturally. A little helping hand in raising the profile isn't a bad thing per se, but some of the hyperbole surrounding it is a bit silly really.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

The 'other' World Cup on 15:30 - Jun 10 with 3856 viewswkj

I'm not so sure. You should see the shat merch they're shilling on amazon. By making it ubiquitous it will eventually become more naturally popular I'm sure.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The 'other' World Cup on 15:33 - Jun 10 with 3838 viewsgiant_stow

The funny thing is my little football mad 6 year old is too young to have been infected by old ways and is very excited about the whole thing and watching most matches.

The crowds are a little light though.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 15:33]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The 'other' World Cup on 15:33 - Jun 10 with 3831 viewsSpruceMoose

The 'other' World Cup on 15:30 - Jun 10 by wkj

I'm not so sure. You should see the shat merch they're shilling on amazon. By making it ubiquitous it will eventually become more naturally popular I'm sure.

It may also just be the case that there are people who are really excited about it and loving it. That group probably isn't middle aged blokes though.

FWIW all the bars here have the games on, and there's a decent amount of people turning up to watch.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The 'other' World Cup on 15:35 - Jun 10 with 3820 viewsfooters

The 'other' World Cup on 15:33 - Jun 10 by SpruceMoose

It may also just be the case that there are people who are really excited about it and loving it. That group probably isn't middle aged blokes though.

FWIW all the bars here have the games on, and there's a decent amount of people turning up to watch.

Americans wouldn't know a proper sport if it went to fourth base with them. Not a good argument, Spruce.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The 'other' World Cup on 15:40 - Jun 10 with 3788 viewsJ2BLUE

Not really. I am enjoying it. There's not much other football on really. Not sure why so many feel the need to state they aren't interested.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The 'other' World Cup on 15:40 - Jun 10 with 3786 viewsSpruceMoose

The 'other' World Cup on 15:35 - Jun 10 by footers

Americans wouldn't know a proper sport if it went to fourth base with them. Not a good argument, Spruce.

You know nothing, Jon Slow.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The 'other' World Cup on 15:44 - Jun 10 with 3769 viewsSpruceMoose

The 'other' World Cup on 15:40 - Jun 10 by J2BLUE

Not really. I am enjoying it. There's not much other football on really. Not sure why so many feel the need to state they aren't interested.

That's my question as well. I don't like golf, I don't need to bang on about it every time there is a major on.

I think there is some good old fashioned male fragility in play here, and that's behind all the constant and desperate reminders that 'it isn't as good as men's football, you know'
[Post edited 10 Jun 2019 15:49]

The 'other' World Cup on 15:46 - Jun 10 with 3757 viewsbrazil1982

Completely agree, the BBC has been very quick to move at promoting women's football more than any other sport.

I think it's more to do with that it's football rather than it's women - there are many sports that British women are very established and very good at (Triathlon, Netball, Rally driving) that get very little coverage or this kind of hype.

There's more coverage of the women's game on the sport landing pages of the BBC website than lower leagues.
Login to get fewer ads

The 'other' World Cup on 16:01 - Jun 10 with 3698 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

They have bought the rights to something and are now trying to promote that thing in order to justify buying it? Not exactly an alien concept is it.

Should they not tell anyone then so we can accidentally hit the red button and be surprised.

It's football. When there is no other football on I would happily watch the Algeria's U14's play a friendly against South Sudan. I suspect many are the same.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

The 'other' World Cup on 20:20 - Jun 10 with 3572 viewsSpruceMoose

This might explain why they think it is worth pushing.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/10/womens-world-cup-match-breaks-t

The 'other' World Cup on 08:29 - Jun 11 with 3468 viewsitfcjoe

I think they are to an extent, but it's clearly gathering interest and is worthwhile.

I think playing sports is great for kids and without any hint of research do think it's a way why sometimes men can get on better at jobs because they have been used to the teamwork, responsibility, etc whereas in my era a lot of girls give up sport as they get to early teens.

The fact participation is growing massively is good, as football is probably the best and simplest teamsport to play

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The 'other' World Cup on 08:32 - Jun 11 with 3459 viewsitfcjoe

The 'other' World Cup on 20:20 - Jun 10 by SpruceMoose

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jun/10/womens-world-cup-match-breaks-t

That is such a poor article though

The 'other' World Cup on 08:36 - Jun 11 with 3435 viewsglasso

The 'other' World Cup on 15:44 - Jun 10 by SpruceMoose

That's my question as well. I don't like golf, I don't need to bang on about it every time there is a major on.

I think there is some good old fashioned male fragility in play here, and that's behind all the constant and desperate reminders that 'it isn't as good as men's football, you know'

I don't think the 'standard' is that important as long as the games are competitive. I go and watch Dulwich Hamlet sometimes and it can be just as fun (last season, MORE fun) than watching Ipswich, even though they're pretty average.

The only thing that would ruin it in my opinion, is if you start getting 7-0 victories because the standard of some teams is so far below that of others.

As long as it's a decent game, it's footy and it's alright to watch, surely? Most of the games have been more interesting to watch than the Champions League final...
The 'other' World Cup on 08:50 - Jun 11 with 3403 viewsflimflam

The 'other' World Cup on 15:46 - Jun 10 by brazil1982

Completely agree, the BBC has been very quick to move at promoting women's football more than any other sport.

I think it's more to do with that it's football rather than it's women - there are many sports that British women are very established and very good at (Triathlon, Netball, Rally driving) that get very little coverage or this kind of hype.

There's more coverage of the women's game on the sport landing pages of the BBC website than lower leagues.

Might be the fact that the BBC can show the games where as Sky and BT have the rights to everything else.

Think it is brilliant the exposure it is getting and if the women's games improves as much in the next 10 years as it has in the last 10 then it is heading into a very good place.

Women can now make a living from the game and the top clubs are offering up fantastic opportunities for them to make a living doing what they most probably love as much as men do. Do not understand all the hating on it tbh.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

The 'other' World Cup on 08:56 - Jun 11 with 3388 viewsitfcjoe

The 'other' World Cup on 08:36 - Jun 11 by glasso

I don't think the 'standard' is that important as long as the games are competitive. I go and watch Dulwich Hamlet sometimes and it can be just as fun (last season, MORE fun) than watching Ipswich, even though they're pretty average.

The only thing that would ruin it in my opinion, is if you start getting 7-0 victories because the standard of some teams is so far below that of others.

As long as it's a decent game, it's footy and it's alright to watch, surely? Most of the games have been more interesting to watch than the Champions League final...

I think the goals are still too big, too many loopy shots go in - fundamentally women are smaller than men and the goals should reflect that. Liek in Junior football.

I think the standards would be even higher if the pitch and goals were slightly smaller

The 'other' World Cup on 09:01 - Jun 11 with 3378 viewsflimflam

The 'other' World Cup on 08:56 - Jun 11 by itfcjoe

I think the goals are still too big, too many loopy shots go in - fundamentally women are smaller than men and the goals should reflect that. Liek in Junior football.

I think the standards would be even higher if the pitch and goals were slightly smaller

Not really though about that but yes the pitch size being slightly smaller would make a difference and tighten things up.

The loopy shots may be down to standard of goalkeepers also but again a valid point as some of he goals are sometimes quite comical.

Good to see that ITFC are taking women's football a little bit more serious now as well. Some great talent in Suffolk but not sure why they need to take over the Suffolk ACC and not create their own girls academy like Norwich have done in Ipswich.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

The 'other' World Cup on 09:07 - Jun 11 with 3363 viewsitfcjoe

The 'other' World Cup on 09:01 - Jun 11 by flimflam

Not really though about that but yes the pitch size being slightly smaller would make a difference and tighten things up.

The loopy shots may be down to standard of goalkeepers also but again a valid point as some of he goals are sometimes quite comical.

Good to see that ITFC are taking women's football a little bit more serious now as well. Some great talent in Suffolk but not sure why they need to take over the Suffolk ACC and not create their own girls academy like Norwich have done in Ipswich.

Listened to something from the Chelsea manager Emma Hayes who said similar - where smaller goals would show off their goalkeepers rather than expose them like the big goals do

The 'other' World Cup on 11:47 - Jun 11 with 3264 viewsCaptainAhab

The 'other' World Cup on 09:07 - Jun 11 by itfcjoe

Listened to something from the Chelsea manager Emma Hayes who said similar - where smaller goals would show off their goalkeepers rather than expose them like the big goals do

Maybe we should just even it up by making men's goals bigger? More goals = good surely?!

It's an interesting debate about the size of womens goals and pitches. The main sticking point against changing them is that it would make it harder for women to get into the game as there would obviously be less pitches for them to play on. How many clubs/councils etc would pay for smaller pitches alongside the mens ones?

Great to see all the coverage of the womens world cup, can only be a good thing surely? Don't get the blokes whinging about it.
The 'other' World Cup on 12:11 - Jun 11 with 3222 viewsjeera

The 'other' World Cup on 15:44 - Jun 10 by SpruceMoose

Golf radio commentary.

Now there's a drag.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The 'other' World Cup on 12:15 - Jun 11 with 3202 viewsitfcjoe

The 'other' World Cup on 11:47 - Jun 11 by CaptainAhab

Maybe we should just even it up by making men's goals bigger? More goals = good surely?!

It's an interesting debate about the size of womens goals and pitches. The main sticking point against changing them is that it would make it harder for women to get into the game as there would obviously be less pitches for them to play on. How many clubs/councils etc would pay for smaller pitches alongside the mens ones?

Great to see all the coverage of the womens world cup, can only be a good thing surely? Don't get the blokes whinging about it.

I just find it frustrating when you see goals scored that make a keeper look bad when the reality is they aren't physically capable of saving it - like high shots in kids games when I was young and had to play on full size pitches.

Take point about difficulty of facilities - just that at the top clubs and internationals they could be a smaller size if it is going to be better.

I don't understand the whinging, personally I don't find it that great to watch and don't watch much of it, and tend to skip the podcasts that drop onto my feed about it as have little interest, but I certainly wouldn't badmouth it when it is doing really well and participation and standards improving rapidly. And I'm sure I'll jump on the bandwagon if we do well

The 'other' World Cup on 13:05 - Jun 11 with 3107 viewshatch

It confuses me as I would go watch Leiston play and could watch most sports other than snooker. I just can't get into women's football though, I tried watching some of the Japan v Argentina game last night and couldn't stick to it.

I can't put my finger on why it is - I don't mind watching women's sport in summer & winter olympics and tennis but I would always prefer men's sport.

I think BBC are trying to being the leading light for women's sport, as others have said. I have noticed it with more than just football too, there's been netball & hockey in top articles more than usual lately. Fair play to them, hopefully it will create a long-term shift in the perception of women's sport. Arguably the more hype an event has, the more people will watch it. I don't really enjoy Boxing that much but would happily sit through the big fights due to the media hype.
The 'other' World Cup on 13:18 - Jun 11 with 3085 viewsVaughan8

The 'other' World Cup on 20:20 - Jun 10 by SpruceMoose

Not really comparing like with like though is it?

I assume more people like/watch football than cricket.
The football was on BBC whereas the cricket is on Sky....
England v Scotland will drum up a bit more interest (as well as being 2 countries in the bbc), as will England v Argentina......be interested to see what the figures are for England v Japan game!

This is the only football the BBC are likely to show so they are promoting it as much as they can. However, sometimes it does seem to be overly forced.
The 'other' World Cup on 13:36 - Jun 11 with 3050 viewsHalf_Idiot

The 'other' World Cup on 15:46 - Jun 10 by brazil1982

There is an obvious answer to why they're pushing womens football as opposed to other womens sports.

More people follow football compared to any other sport, therefore it's easier to get people to watch it as they are already interested in the sport. I have little to no interest in athletics/netball/racing so I'm not going to tune in to watch it, regardless of gender.

I don't see the harm in trying to promote the womens game, all the top clubs are doing it so why can't tv channels and news outlets?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024