Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan 20:26 - Jun 10 with 15932 viewsTranmerefan

Hi there, thought I would fill you in on James and what to expect.

First of all its a dark day for TRFC losing him, especially on a free transfer. It certainly was expected though, and us Rovers fans have been prepared (just not ready) for this day for a good few months. If he had been under contract and you had the cash to sign him, you'd be looking close to a million, at least. A massive hole left in our club but no ill feeling towards ITFC or James. Hes 28 years of age and getting a move (and wage) to a big club like Ipswich is a great chance for the lad.

What to expect - Expect a player whos still improving even at 28 and very much a late developer. Don't look into a lot of his career being spent at non league level. Expect a player who will give 110 % every game, whether he scores or not. He will always try to make an impact even when going through a goal shy spell. He will put a double shift in every game and be proud wearing your shirt. Obviously the expectations at ITFC will be larger than at Tranmere, but James doesn't shy away from anything and will be upto the challenge. If he misses a chance, he will still be in there right place next time to try again, which usually results in a goal.

His 32 goals last season wasn't a fluke or a one season wonder. Hes a natural goalscorer and im confident he will get at least 20 league goals next season for you. Hopefully he doesn't score in the two games against us though, but I think that's a guarantee.

Hes improved massively over the last two seasons. When we first signed him in 2015 he missed plenty of one on ones, and could frustrate us fans. He was always in the right place though and his finishing has come on massively since. Hes a very likeable lad and mixes well with supporters. Great attitude and very popular among other players, a real character. He cares, and shows it on the pitch. Not afraid to voice his thoughts to teammates and especially the refs. Hes a real handful upfront for defenders and abit of a nightmare to play against. His all round play got himself League Two player of season aswell as team of the season, not just the 32 goals.

You've signed a goodun anyway, especially on a free. A real steal for you lot. Just hope your gaffer gives him a fair chance though in your starting 11. He will deliver given the chance and wont let you down. Look after him.

Hes done a lot for Tranmere Rovers and will always be remembered by us fans as a real legend and hero. Got us through some very dark times. Love the guy!

Goodluck next season, apart from the games against us!

p.s I cant stand Norwich or their awful kits, so kind of glad he didn't end up there, whatever level their now at!
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:30 - Jun 10 with 12074 viewsNthsuffolkblue

That sounds like exactly the sort of player we need and worth way more than a million in the modern market.

Let's hope he is as good as we hope at this level and beyond.

Good luck next season too.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:30 - Jun 10 with 12074 viewsMoisha

Great post. Always liked Tranmere back in the 90s when we were regularly playing each other, maybe we’ll both get back up there this season.
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:36 - Jun 10 with 11977 viewsBaltachaFanClub

Hi,
As an Ipswich fan with an interest in Tranmere, I can only wish you chaps well, I am looking forward to coming to Prenton Park for the game, having previously visited on and off for the last decade or so.

I didn’t come to wembley this time, I was at the loss to FGR and figured I was a bad omen,
Personally, I hope you have a great season.

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue
Poll: What happens more in the average week ?
Blog: It's Not R*********, It's the Promise of an Adventure

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:42 - Jun 10 with 11875 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:30 - Jun 10 by Moisha

Great post. Always liked Tranmere back in the 90s when we were regularly playing each other, maybe we’ll both get back up there this season.

Cheers fella's.

Other than his obvious goalscoring his main asset is workrate. You'll see that early on. I honestly think he could play Championship level so if he has a good first half of season expect a few bids from clubs higher up the ladder. His movement has also been outstanding last 18 months or so. Improved massively.

Id be happy with 20th place nevermind making the Championship haha. Obviously losing Norwood's goals our manager Micky Mellon will have to pull out a few rabbits replacing those goals. It could be a long season for us.

Few videos below if your interested.

Cheers!

All 92 goals in 4 season above.

This seasons 32 goals above.
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:42 - Jun 10 with 11875 viewsMVBlue

Cheers dude he actually has big boots to fill from my point of view, only in the case that McGoldrick and Martin Waghorn left a massive hole when they departed, helping us to relegation thanks to Paul Hurst sending them off. We like effective strikers here glad to see your words.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:45 - Jun 10 with 11822 viewsSporall

Top post, good luck for next season.
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:46 - Jun 10 with 11814 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:36 - Jun 10 by BaltachaFanClub

Hi,
As an Ipswich fan with an interest in Tranmere, I can only wish you chaps well, I am looking forward to coming to Prenton Park for the game, having previously visited on and off for the last decade or so.

I didn’t come to wembley this time, I was at the loss to FGR and figured I was a bad omen,
Personally, I hope you have a great season.

Cheers mate.

The last two finals which we won, certainly took it out of me.

It felt really good knocking FGR out in the semi finals this year and ending up a league above them. Horrible little club!!

Hope you lot have a great season too, you shouldn't really be at this level should you!?!
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:49 - Jun 10 with 11730 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:42 - Jun 10 by MVBlue

Cheers dude he actually has big boots to fill from my point of view, only in the case that McGoldrick and Martin Waghorn left a massive hole when they departed, helping us to relegation thanks to Paul Hurst sending them off. We like effective strikers here glad to see your words.

He will certainly try and not shy away from anything mate.

Support him and back him. He will deliver. I think after the season you've had you need to be closer to the players. Vocal support certainly helps as we have found out last few years. Stick with them, and 'Nors' and you'll be up there.
Login to get fewer ads

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:54 - Jun 10 with 11659 viewswkj

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:46 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

Cheers mate.

It felt really good knocking FGR out in the semi finals this year and ending up a league above them. Horrible little club!!

Hope you lot have a great season too, you shouldn't really be at this level should you!?!

Well, that's a loaded question really. We've been sleep walking toward this for a while many will tell you. Our owner has been very keen on playing ball in regards to FFP and over the last decade a number of clubs have leap-frogged us in terms of spending and ultimately league position.

Last season it felt like we hired a manager who was a bit disruptive to the squad and sold our best assets whilst bringing in some not so good ones at a premium price. A core issue there was no one seemed to be assessing his transfer requests and vetoing some poor decisions.

What we do this season will define what level is appropriate for us under the current regime, if we fail to get promoted, or fail to challenge promotion, we will be in L1 at best for a good few seasons is my fear.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:56 - Jun 10 with 11613 viewsBaltachaFanClub

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:46 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

Cheers mate.

Sadly, we deserve to be here. But hopefully not for long.
In an ideal world we both have great seasons, we need a couple of astute signings, as do you, building a team around Jennings, Ridealgh, Banks and Davies (and who can’t love Manny Monthe)
Actually think you could surprise a few.

All the best

SWA #Tequila

this is not a football forum, its a forum for people who occasionally mention football. Current cheese mood - Blacksticks Blue

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:01 - Jun 10 with 11584 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:56 - Jun 10 by BaltachaFanClub

Sadly, we deserve to be here. But hopefully not for long.
In an ideal world we both have great seasons, we need a couple of astute signings, as do you, building a team around Jennings, Ridealgh, Banks and Davies (and who can’t love Manny Monthe)
Actually think you could surprise a few.

All the best

SWA #Tequila

Cheers mate, whats your link with Tranmere if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah big Manny is certainly a sight. Really really good for us this season but out of contract. After losing Norwood for nothing, losing him aswell would really send me over the edge. Still young enough to improve further too. Don't think he can grow any taller though?!

Davies and Jennings had great seasons, really important players to us. Banks and Ridehalgh were pretty mixed but when on song can play a big part!

Cheers!
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:08 - Jun 10 with 11507 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:54 - Jun 10 by wkj

Well, that's a loaded question really. We've been sleep walking toward this for a while many will tell you. Our owner has been very keen on playing ball in regards to FFP and over the last decade a number of clubs have leap-frogged us in terms of spending and ultimately league position.

Last season it felt like we hired a manager who was a bit disruptive to the squad and sold our best assets whilst bringing in some not so good ones at a premium price. A core issue there was no one seemed to be assessing his transfer requests and vetoing some poor decisions.

What we do this season will define what level is appropriate for us under the current regime, if we fail to get promoted, or fail to challenge promotion, we will be in L1 at best for a good few seasons is my fear.

I heard the style of play under McCarthy wasn't much fun? But was it right (in hindsight) sacking him? You'd still be a Championship club if you had kept him, imo.

Sunderland found it tough to get out of this league and will be a year better off than yourselves experience wise down here. Theres also plenty of other clubs who will be up there including high spending Peterborough, who normally give us a good hiding!

Football budget obviously plays a big part. Selling star players and replacing them with duds is soul destroying for supporters of any club. We've certainly been used too it over the years, especially losing players on free's. Not only Norwood now but we lost 28 goal striker Andy Cook to Walsall on a free this time last year. Funny now hes playing a level below us.

The same happened to us a decade back. Sacked Ronnie Moore, hired John Barnes and slashed the budget by over 50 percent. We somehow hung on 4-5 years in League One signing 'duds' but then it caught up with us with back to back relegations.

We've done well to come back here!
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:15 - Jun 10 with 11432 viewsRonFearonsHair

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:08 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

I heard the style of play under McCarthy wasn't much fun? But was it right (in hindsight) sacking him? You'd still be a Championship club if you had kept him, imo.

Sunderland found it tough to get out of this league and will be a year better off than yourselves experience wise down here. Theres also plenty of other clubs who will be up there including high spending Peterborough, who normally give us a good hiding!

Football budget obviously plays a big part. Selling star players and replacing them with duds is soul destroying for supporters of any club. We've certainly been used too it over the years, especially losing players on free's. Not only Norwood now but we lost 28 goal striker Andy Cook to Walsall on a free this time last year. Funny now hes playing a level below us.

The same happened to us a decade back. Sacked Ronnie Moore, hired John Barnes and slashed the budget by over 50 percent. We somehow hung on 4-5 years in League One signing 'duds' but then it caught up with us with back to back relegations.

He wasn't sacked.
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:19 - Jun 10 with 11379 viewswkj

I played as Tranmere in FM as my main save for FM16, i'm a bit of a nerd where I look up history and pedigree. Obviously I am used tot he days both Town and your lot were in this division, but the Ronnie Moore history I am well familiar with.

One thing the press often mislead people on is we sacked Mick. We didn't, we just wasn't going to renew his contract, and he rightly felt he should not manage the last few games of the season. Should we have kept him? No. As bleak as our recent history has been on the pitch, it has actually improved off the pitch remarkably. PR from the club is better, a big group of organised town fans called blue action have helped put an atmosphere back in the ground, and we have some good young players coming into the mix.

Had McCarthy of stayed the fan base would have remained fractured and the whole experience would have remained hollow, unless suddenly we developed a new formula on the pitch, even then many would have remained defiant on Mick I think.

This season will be a true indicator of where ITFC are heading for the next 10 years. I feel that Sunderland had a better squad last season than we do now, but I think Lambert's head might make him a better manager than Jack Ross, so who knows. It will be a VERY tough league up top this year, that I am certain of.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:19 - Jun 10 with 11375 viewsBaltachaFanClub

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:01 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

Cheers mate, whats your link with Tranmere if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah big Manny is certainly a sight. Really really good for us this season but out of contract. After losing Norwood for nothing, losing him aswell would really send me over the edge. Still young enough to improve further too. Don't think he can grow any taller though?!

Davies and Jennings had great seasons, really important players to us. Banks and Ridehalgh were pretty mixed but when on song can play a big part!

Cheers!

Much first town game was also my first Tranmere game, as a youth I saw us beat you, when you had Jim Steele and Kenny Irons in the midfield,
Fast forward a few years and my second ever away game was Tranmere in the cup, Mcgreal one goal won it for Ipswich then he signed for us. And on that day I bought a golden gamble ticket outside the ground (because I felt sorry for the girl selling them)
At halftime my number was read out and I walked onto the pitch to collect a princely sum of £846.50... fast forward some more and on my brothers stag do, we sponsored the media suite, were treated like lords, shook hands with then vice chairman (before palios era), awarded man of the match to James Wallace, and nearly convinced Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro, Wallace and Andy Robinson to join the stag do.... I have been an occasional supporter at Prenton ever since, as well as the odd away game, that wembley trip too, and even attended Wirral Live for the libertines !

Oh, and one of my best mates lives in Wapping. So I pop up to see his family every now and then!!

I am out of breath typing this!

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:30 - Jun 10 with 11284 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:19 - Jun 10 by BaltachaFanClub

Much first town game was also my first Tranmere game, as a youth I saw us beat you, when you had Jim Steele and Kenny Irons in the midfield,
Fast forward a few years and my second ever away game was Tranmere in the cup, Mcgreal one goal won it for Ipswich then he signed for us. And on that day I bought a golden gamble ticket outside the ground (because I felt sorry for the girl selling them)
At halftime my number was read out and I walked onto the pitch to collect a princely sum of £846.50... fast forward some more and on my brothers stag do, we sponsored the media suite, were treated like lords, shook hands with then vice chairman (before palios era), awarded man of the match to James Wallace, and nearly convinced Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro, Wallace and Andy Robinson to join the stag do.... I have been an occasional supporter at Prenton ever since, as well as the odd away game, that wembley trip too, and even attended Wirral Live for the libertines !

Oh, and one of my best mates lives in Wapping. So I pop up to see his family every now and then!!

I am out of breath typing this!

Its great to experience other clubs I think. My first girlfriend was a big Bristol City fan, so ive been to Ashton Gate a good few times, aswell as City away games.

Talking of Kenny Irons, played against him 2007 in a charity match. He turned up late 10 mins into the game, stinking of whiskey. Still quality though and even managed to meg me a few times. John Bishop the comedian played against us too, tried pulling my shorts down whlist marking him for a corner, obviously to make the 400-500 crowd laugh. Bastard.

Im surprised Andy Robbo didn't follow you on the stag btw, hes got a big reputation round Birkenhead for his drinking and err, other things!

Loved John McGreal. Great player for us, and you.

£846.50? Nice little earner. Hope you gave the girl selling a fiver of that!? lol.
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:33 - Jun 10 with 11244 viewsBaltachaFanClub

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:30 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

Its great to experience other clubs I think. My first girlfriend was a big Bristol City fan, so ive been to Ashton Gate a good few times, aswell as City away games.

Talking of Kenny Irons, played against him 2007 in a charity match. He turned up late 10 mins into the game, stinking of whiskey. Still quality though and even managed to meg me a few times. John Bishop the comedian played against us too, tried pulling my shorts down whlist marking him for a corner, obviously to make the 400-500 crowd laugh. Bastard.

Im surprised Andy Robbo didn't follow you on the stag btw, hes got a big reputation round Birkenhead for his drinking and err, other things!

Loved John McGreal. Great player for us, and you.

£846.50? Nice little earner. Hope you gave the girl selling a fiver of that!? lol.

Prenton Park is one of those special grounds, the atmosphere and people around the area are so friendly, after the libertines gig we sat in the Prenton Park pub for a couple of hours until we could get an Uber, I ended up drinking with a group of girls who liked our accents. Which is ace, cos I liked theirs too

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:44 - Jun 10 with 11156 viewsclive_baker

I always feel a little sorry for clubs when players leave, especially on a free. Don’t get me wrong, we have a proud history but I certainly don’t have delusions of grandeur, we’re in League 1 on merit and deserve nothing more right now. We also know how it feels for players to move on to bigger pay packets and it’s all relative I suppose.

Not just saying this due to your post but when I first started having an interest in football (mid 90’s) we always had good battles against Tranmere, Jason Koumas et al. I’m glad to see you back in League 1, here’s hoping we’re both battling at the right end of the table next season.

Sorry that it’s us he’s gone to, but thanks, and I hope you’re 20 goals prediction comes true.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:51 - Jun 10 with 11097 viewsFtnfwest

You’ve done very well and I hope you prosper, think you’ll be ok if I’m honest and hope to make the trip up whenever it is. MM may well have kept us in the championship for a couple more years but for what? We’d be averaging 8 or 9,000 at best watching football most of us disliked with no real prospect of improvement (a good proportion of the problem was/is the owner rather than mick tbf). Loyal to his players and interested in his own record/legacy but not really interested in the fans or club from the beginning. Tried the short term long ball route which nearly worked but it was a slow death after that plus a lot of bitterness. With him gone there’s at least the beginning of a togetherness off the pitch and some sort of embryonic improvement from the club as well. But we need to turn it round on the pitch now and I think Norwood is an excellent start (along with the dead wood clearance thus far!)
He will get the service and chance on 21:54 - Jun 10 with 11045 viewsunstableblue

Thanks for taking the time to post here, and for the insight.

I feel he'll become a fan favourite here, and hopefully a key signing, a la Marcus Stewart (albeit completely levels of goal scoring pedigree).

We created a lot of chances and action in the attacking third, but simply lacked someone moving and able to take them or be in the right place.

Hope he hits the ground running

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:57 - Jun 10 with 11004 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:44 - Jun 10 by clive_baker

I always feel a little sorry for clubs when players leave, especially on a free. Don’t get me wrong, we have a proud history but I certainly don’t have delusions of grandeur, we’re in League 1 on merit and deserve nothing more right now. We also know how it feels for players to move on to bigger pay packets and it’s all relative I suppose.

Not just saying this due to your post but when I first started having an interest in football (mid 90’s) we always had good battles against Tranmere, Jason Koumas et al. I’m glad to see you back in League 1, here’s hoping we’re both battling at the right end of the table next season.

Sorry that it’s us he’s gone to, but thanks, and I hope you’re 20 goals prediction comes true.

Yeah great battles with Ipswich.

Jason Koumas was ace, the best ive seen in a Rovers shirt. Should of made more of his career though, a great talent.

We've lost plenty of players over the years, normally on free's of getting robbed of transfer fees. It happens though.

What crowds will you average next season? Did you average much last few years in the Championship?
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:13 - Jun 10 with 10840 viewsstrikalite

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:57 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

Jason Koumas was ace, the best ive seen in a Rovers shirt. Should of made more of his career though, a great talent.

We've lost plenty of players over the years, normally on free's of getting robbed of transfer fees. It happens though.

What crowds will you average next season? Did you average much last few years in the Championship?

We just need one more last favour mate please....

Another Aaron Cresswell...
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:19 - Jun 10 with 10784 viewsclive_baker

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:57 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

He was a quality player, so technically gifted and great to watch. I really rated Simonsen too, the keeper. He left you too early, a bit like Wright did with us, never truly fulfilled his potential.

I would say we’ll have 15,000 on the regular, depending on away support and day trippers etc. As with anything, if we’re winning matches and scoring goals the fans will come back. We’ve been starved of that for so long I really don’t think it’ll take too much to be testing 18,000+ again inside Portman Road. There was more appetite last season than previous years, and atmosphere certainly was much better because we showed more intent to play some football, and bring through a few younger players. Mick’s approach was much more direct and relied a little more heavily on loanees and ageing journeyman. I’m not too critical of MM, he did a good job and his hands were tied to an extent, but the reality was the fans were bored sh1tless with it. Couple that with the decision makers cocking up the pricing the year before last and that meant attendances were dropping like a stone.

It feels a little like a new dawn now. Hopefully not a false one.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:19 - Jun 10 with 10777 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:13 - Jun 10 by strikalite

We just need one more last favour mate please....

Another Aaron Cresswell...

Oh aye, Cressa. Great left foot and shot on him. Quite a strange Tranmere career for him though as quite a few Rovers fans actually didn't rate him as our best left back. Zoom Bakayogo (whos now back with us, for now) was more highly rated by a lot, who ended up signing for Leicester after us. Cressa only really had one season as a regular for us (43 apps 4 goals that final season) but you could tell he'd go on to become a superb player. Rated him highly myself and was always confident when he received the ball. If he had been Irish, Welsh or Scottish he'd have 60 caps by now.
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:30 - Jun 10 with 10714 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:19 - Jun 10 by clive_baker

He was a quality player, so technically gifted and great to watch. I really rated Simonsen too, the keeper. He left you too early, a bit like Wright did with us, never truly fulfilled his potential.

I would say we’ll have 15,000 on the regular, depending on away support and day trippers etc. As with anything, if we’re winning matches and scoring goals the fans will come back. We’ve been starved of that for so long I really don’t think it’ll take too much to be testing 18,000+ again inside Portman Road. There was more appetite last season than previous years, and atmosphere certainly was much better because we showed more intent to play some football, and bring through a few younger players. Mick’s approach was much more direct and relied a little more heavily on loanees and ageing journeyman. I’m not too critical of MM, he did a good job and his hands were tied to an extent, but the reality was the fans were bored sh1tless with it. Couple that with the decision makers cocking up the pricing the year before last and that meant attendances were dropping like a stone.

It feels a little like a new dawn now. Hopefully not a false one.

Nors will thrive on playing infront of crowds like that.

We always topped the National League (hated that level) attendances with a whopping 5-6,000 crowds. We averaged around 6,500 last year I think (haven't checked fully) and will probably hit an average of 7,300 next season, obviously helped by the likes of Sunderland, Coventry and yourselfs coming to PP. I must say the sight of National League sides bringing 80 fans (sometimes lower) to us wasn't good, especially for atmosphere. Only Wrexham and Chester brought over 1,000 to us. Local derbies though.

Norwood's first Tranmere goal was at home to Chester in the derby, went down well lol. Check out the videos above (all 92 goals) and its the first goal. A superb solo run and finish, then saluting the Chester fans behind the goal. Im sure he scored 5 goals in the 6 Chester derbies. Great record.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024