Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan 20:26 - Jun 10 with 15810 viewsTranmerefan

Hi there, thought I would fill you in on James and what to expect.

First of all its a dark day for TRFC losing him, especially on a free transfer. It certainly was expected though, and us Rovers fans have been prepared (just not ready) for this day for a good few months. If he had been under contract and you had the cash to sign him, you'd be looking close to a million, at least. A massive hole left in our club but no ill feeling towards ITFC or James. Hes 28 years of age and getting a move (and wage) to a big club like Ipswich is a great chance for the lad.

What to expect - Expect a player whos still improving even at 28 and very much a late developer. Don't look into a lot of his career being spent at non league level. Expect a player who will give 110 % every game, whether he scores or not. He will always try to make an impact even when going through a goal shy spell. He will put a double shift in every game and be proud wearing your shirt. Obviously the expectations at ITFC will be larger than at Tranmere, but James doesn't shy away from anything and will be upto the challenge. If he misses a chance, he will still be in there right place next time to try again, which usually results in a goal.

His 32 goals last season wasn't a fluke or a one season wonder. Hes a natural goalscorer and im confident he will get at least 20 league goals next season for you. Hopefully he doesn't score in the two games against us though, but I think that's a guarantee.

Hes improved massively over the last two seasons. When we first signed him in 2015 he missed plenty of one on ones, and could frustrate us fans. He was always in the right place though and his finishing has come on massively since. Hes a very likeable lad and mixes well with supporters. Great attitude and very popular among other players, a real character. He cares, and shows it on the pitch. Not afraid to voice his thoughts to teammates and especially the refs. Hes a real handful upfront for defenders and abit of a nightmare to play against. His all round play got himself League Two player of season aswell as team of the season, not just the 32 goals.

You've signed a goodun anyway, especially on a free. A real steal for you lot. Just hope your gaffer gives him a fair chance though in your starting 11. He will deliver given the chance and wont let you down. Look after him.

Hes done a lot for Tranmere Rovers and will always be remembered by us fans as a real legend and hero. Got us through some very dark times. Love the guy!

Goodluck next season, apart from the games against us!

p.s I cant stand Norwich or their awful kits, so kind of glad he didn't end up there, whatever level their now at!
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:33 - Jun 10 with 3652 viewsstrikalite

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:19 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

Oh aye, Cressa. Great left foot and shot on him. Quite a strange Tranmere career for him though as quite a few Rovers fans actually didn't rate him as our best left back. Zoom Bakayogo (whos now back with us, for now) was more highly rated by a lot, who ended up signing for Leicester after us. Cressa only really had one season as a regular for us (43 apps 4 goals that final season) but you could tell he'd go on to become a superb player. Rated him highly myself and was always confident when he received the ball. If he had been Irish, Welsh or Scottish he'd have 60 caps by now.

Indeed, great first touch which gave him so much time on the ball, only when a player like this leaves you understand the qualities he had, apart from Mings who is now on loan with Villa from Bournemouth nobody imo has come close to replacing him, and it's now such as crucial position of which most of us on here agree we still need strengthening..

The thing is today we wouldn't pay the money sadly even if he was out there...
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:37 - Jun 10 with 3647 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:33 - Jun 10 by strikalite

Indeed, great first touch which gave him so much time on the ball, only when a player like this leaves you understand the qualities he had, apart from Mings who is now on loan with Villa from Bournemouth nobody imo has come close to replacing him, and it's now such as crucial position of which most of us on here agree we still need strengthening..

The thing is today we wouldn't pay the money sadly even if he was out there...

Is Knudsen still with you? He should be decent in League One. Impressed me whenever ive seen him on the tele. How much did you get for Cressa btw? You got a sell on?
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 02:14 - Jun 11 with 3564 viewsharlingblue

That is a truly generous post Tranmerefan, here's to a great season for both our clubs.
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 06:58 - Jun 11 with 3506 viewsWarkystache

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:37 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

Is Knudsen still with you? He should be decent in League One. Impressed me whenever ive seen him on the tele. How much did you get for Cressa btw? You got a sell on?

Knudsen's like Marmite. Loved for his goals against the scum and his passion, but he clearly wants away, and some of his performances have been a bit flaky.

He won't be here come July. i think he'll go back to Denmark.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 07:16 - Jun 11 with 3491 viewsTractorCam

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 20:42 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

Cheers fella's.

Other than his obvious goalscoring his main asset is workrate. You'll see that early on. I honestly think he could play Championship level so if he has a good first half of season expect a few bids from clubs higher up the ladder. His movement has also been outstanding last 18 months or so. Improved massively.

Id be happy with 20th place nevermind making the Championship haha. Obviously losing Norwood's goals our manager Micky Mellon will have to pull out a few rabbits replacing those goals. It could be a long season for us.

Few videos below if your interested.

Cheers!

All 92 goals in 4 season above.

This seasons 32 goals above.

Given his character, I see he will be quick to correct you here as he appears to be shouting about 93 goals everywhere

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 10:18 - Jun 11 with 3416 viewsGarv

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 22:30 - Jun 10 by Tranmerefan

Nors will thrive on playing infront of crowds like that.

We always topped the National League (hated that level) attendances with a whopping 5-6,000 crowds. We averaged around 6,500 last year I think (haven't checked fully) and will probably hit an average of 7,300 next season, obviously helped by the likes of Sunderland, Coventry and yourselfs coming to PP. I must say the sight of National League sides bringing 80 fans (sometimes lower) to us wasn't good, especially for atmosphere. Only Wrexham and Chester brought over 1,000 to us. Local derbies though.

Norwood's first Tranmere goal was at home to Chester in the derby, went down well lol. Check out the videos above (all 92 goals) and its the first goal. A superb solo run and finish, then saluting the Chester fans behind the goal. Im sure he scored 5 goals in the 6 Chester derbies. Great record.

A shame we didn't get him a year earlier. He would have been handy in the games against the scum.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 11:19 - Jun 11 with 3376 viewsChateauWines

Thanks for the post Tranmere fan , do you still have the guy revving up the crowd on the microphone on the pitch. I loved they away games on a Friday night

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 11:27 - Jun 11 with 3366 viewsThatMuhrenCross

If he's as good as the last player we had off you, we're in for something special!

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Login to get fewer ads

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 00:27 - Jun 16 with 3194 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 11:19 - Jun 11 by ChateauWines

Thanks for the post Tranmere fan , do you still have the guy revving up the crowd on the microphone on the pitch. I loved they away games on a Friday night

He probably still attends games but isn't noticed much anymore.

How do you lot think you'll cope next season? Don't forget just like Sunderland last season (and this season for them too) everyone will wanna beat Ipswich. It will be their cup final. Us Tranmere fans want you or Sunderland at home first game. The ideal scenario (if we draw you lot) is Norwood to have a stinker, miss a penalty Kop end and be subbed (to a standing ovation), oh and us to win 3-0 :) My head though says a win for you lot, with Nors grabbing a few goals.

Its going to be a competitive league at the top end. Unless Mellon brings in some suprises we will be fighting relegation, but you should be play offs at least. Don't think you will be top 2 but play offs is very achievable. Sunderland found it tough and I think it might be the same for you guys.

What key players do you have who will do well in League One? We spent 14 seasons at this level (ending in 2014) but its a different league these days. Plenty of money flying about and some tough sides to play against. Some decent size clubs like Bradford and Plymouth went down last season and were poor all season. Im clinging to the hope that sides like Rochdale, Stanley and Wimbledon will be poorer than us.

Our key players left? Davies (keeper) should do okay. Won the clean sheet award in League Two last season, 23 (I think) if you include the Play Offs. Manny Monthe, 6 foot 5 centre half whos just signed a new two year deal turning down Barnsley. Hes a real monster and throws forwards about. Perkins might be too old for League One at 36, but was a real player from January for us in League Two, proper pro. Connor Jennings is probably our most important player left, 13 goals and 12 assists from midfield last season. Clever player, and scored our winner in the final at Wembley.

Anyway, back to Norwood. Does it hit home your signing a player, who could be a starter, whos only ever played no higher than the 4th tier?

I suppose a goalscorer is a goalscorer isn't he? Theres a big net thing that hes gotta kick the ball into, right?
[Post edited 16 Jun 2019 0:54]
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 07:19 - Jun 16 with 3123 viewsshamboy

The word inside the game last season was that Norwood was playing a league or two below his level, so no fears that he won't do well.
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 00:57 - Jul 20 with 2793 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 07:19 - Jun 16 by shamboy

The word inside the game last season was that Norwood was playing a league or two below his level, so no fears that he won't do well.

So hows Nors looking?

Heard a rumour he scored a hattrick away at Colchester, a club that's decent enough on the pitch and nearly made the L2 play offs last season?

See, hes a goalscorer. Whether hes played non league for most of his career isn't important. He just needed the chance to show his quality. He will score at least 20 L1 goals this season, if he remains fit.

Rovers on the other hand still haven't replaced him. We've signed Ponticelli on loan from Coventry, who I know zero about. Supposed to be a 'great' finisher but seems strange why Coventry would loan to a fellow L1 club? We have re-signed Ishmael Miller on a new contract which doesn't overwhelm me with excitement. Stefan Payne has also joined from Bristol Rovers, two goals last season and from their fans reactions on Twitter it looks like they've 'done us over'. Doesn't run, cant be arsed and cant score. Doesn't look promising does it? I think some of us, me included of clinging to Paul Mullin coming good. Already at the club, has a similar work rate to Norwood and has the quality infront of goal. Didn't get a look in last season though of course, due to Nors being so efficient. Has never played in League One though and only managed 22 L2 games last season.

Are we in trouble? Im hoping Micky Mellon plays another blinder. Could be a long season for us!
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 01:02 - Jul 20 with 2777 viewstextbackup

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 00:57 - Jul 20 by Tranmerefan

So hows Nors looking?

Heard a rumour he scored a hattrick away at Colchester, a club that's decent enough on the pitch and nearly made the L2 play offs last season?

See, hes a goalscorer. Whether hes played non league for most of his career isn't important. He just needed the chance to show his quality. He will score at least 20 L1 goals this season, if he remains fit.

Rovers on the other hand still haven't replaced him. We've signed Ponticelli on loan from Coventry, who I know zero about. Supposed to be a 'great' finisher but seems strange why Coventry would loan to a fellow L1 club? We have re-signed Ishmael Miller on a new contract which doesn't overwhelm me with excitement. Stefan Payne has also joined from Bristol Rovers, two goals last season and from their fans reactions on Twitter it looks like they've 'done us over'. Doesn't run, cant be arsed and cant score. Doesn't look promising does it? I think some of us, me included of clinging to Paul Mullin coming good. Already at the club, has a similar work rate to Norwood and has the quality infront of goal. Didn't get a look in last season though of course, due to Nors being so efficient. Has never played in League One though and only managed 22 L2 games last season.

Are we in trouble? Im hoping Micky Mellon plays another blinder. Could be a long season for us!

hes a natural.

no doubt that he could do this a championship level, hopefully that's with us

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 01:23 - Jul 20 with 2750 viewsTranmerefan

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 01:02 - Jul 20 by textbackup

hes a natural.

no doubt that he could do this a championship level, hopefully that's with us

He will still have afternoons where he has a mare, couldn't hit a barn door etc, but I suppose every non Premiership striker does?

On a free, hes a worldie signing for you and could be the difference between automatic and play offs for you. Obviously he cant do it on his own but if he chips in with 20 league goals (maybe more) its a good thing to have. He doesn't just bring goals though, its the mega shift he will put in during matches. You've got yourselves a real crowd favourite there!
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 06:54 - Jul 20 with 2652 viewsFreddies_Ears

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 01:23 - Jul 20 by Tranmerefan

He will still have afternoons where he has a mare, couldn't hit a barn door etc, but I suppose every non Premiership striker does?

On a free, hes a worldie signing for you and could be the difference between automatic and play offs for you. Obviously he cant do it on his own but if he chips in with 20 league goals (maybe more) its a good thing to have. He doesn't just bring goals though, its the mega shift he will put in during matches. You've got yourselves a real crowd favourite there!

After his 45 minute display last weekend, a cutely taken finish v a Bundesliga team, I told our Director of Football I'd buy a ton of cotton wool to wrap him in until 3rd August.

Last night he was different gravy. A penalty, but with too much pace though the keeper guessed right. And two striker's finishes. He lifted the whole team - it's worth doing that lungbusting run to get a cross over if you have confidence that someone's in there to score.

All the best to Tranmere btw. Looking forward to the trip!
Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 09:09 - Jul 20 with 2480 viewsFather_Jack

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 21:19 - Jun 10 by BaltachaFanClub

Much first town game was also my first Tranmere game, as a youth I saw us beat you, when you had Jim Steele and Kenny Irons in the midfield,
Fast forward a few years and my second ever away game was Tranmere in the cup, Mcgreal one goal won it for Ipswich then he signed for us. And on that day I bought a golden gamble ticket outside the ground (because I felt sorry for the girl selling them)
At halftime my number was read out and I walked onto the pitch to collect a princely sum of £846.50... fast forward some more and on my brothers stag do, we sponsored the media suite, were treated like lords, shook hands with then vice chairman (before palios era), awarded man of the match to James Wallace, and nearly convinced Jean-Louis Akpa-Akpro, Wallace and Andy Robinson to join the stag do.... I have been an occasional supporter at Prenton ever since, as well as the odd away game, that wembley trip too, and even attended Wirral Live for the libertines !

Oh, and one of my best mates lives in Wapping. So I pop up to see his family every now and then!!

I am out of breath typing this!

Wapping??

Less is more.

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 12:22 - Jul 20 with 2354 viewsGeoffSentence

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 11:27 - Jun 11 by ThatMuhrenCross

If he's as good as the last player we had off you, we're in for something special!

Maybe we should look at Tranmere as a feeder club. McGreal and Cresswell both turned out very well and things are looking positive with regard to Norwood.

Who else have they got who we could make use of?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 12:26 - Jul 20 with 2342 viewsTractorCam

Mr Norwood view - from a Tranmere fan on 12:22 - Jul 20 by GeoffSentence

Maybe we should look at Tranmere as a feeder club. McGreal and Cresswell both turned out very well and things are looking positive with regard to Norwood.

Who else have they got who we could make use of?

Jennings!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024