Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK wage growth faster than expected. 12:50 - Jun 11 with 3225 viewspickles110564

Wage growth beat market and economist expectations in the three months to April.

Pay rose by 3.4% compared with a year ago. After taking inflation into account, wage growth was 1.4%, official figures show.

The unemployment rate remained at 3.8%, and has not been lower since the October to December 1974 period, the Office for National Statistics said.

The employment rate for women was 72%, the highest on record.

This is after changes to the state pension age leading to fewer women retiring between the ages of 60 and 65.

Matt Hughes, deputy head of labour market statistics at the ONS, said: "With employment growth among women coming from full-timers, the overall gap between men and women in hours worked is now the lowest ever - women now average about three-quarters of men's weekly hours, compared with around two-thirds 25 years ago."

And PwC chief economist John Hawksworth said it was "interesting" that female employment rose by 60,000 compared with the previous quarter, while male employment fell by 27,000.

"This is consistent with a longer-term trend towards a narrowing gender employment gap.

"Male employment is still higher at around 80%, but this is well below its historical highs of over 90% back in the 1970s."

Tej Parikh, chief economist at the Institute of Directors, said: "The buoyant labour market is still going strong for the UK economy, even as it weathers widespread political uncertainty."

Finally some great news!
UK wage growth faster than expected. on 12:52 - Jun 11 with 2019 viewsBlueBadger

It won't last.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-economy-latest-brexit-gdp-fa

What kind of stew can I make out of my blue passport?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 12:52]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:00 - Jun 11 with 1988 viewsStokieBlue

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 12:52 - Jun 11 by BlueBadger

It won't last.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-economy-latest-brexit-gdp-fa

I was going to post the same link.

Some huge cherry picking from pickles there.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:02 - Jun 11 with 1977 viewsBlueBadger

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:00 - Jun 11 by StokieBlue

I was going to post the same link.

Some huge cherry picking from pickles there.

SB

I also wonder how much of that rise is down to temporary, part-time and zero-hours working as well - it's notable the big growth was in women in employment, who tend to greatly over-represented in those forms of job.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:02 - Jun 11 with 1980 viewspickles110564

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 12:52 - Jun 11 by BlueBadger

It won't last.

Hopefully we should know soon which direction Brexit (if at all) will take once we get down to the last two standing.
It seems though the only candidate that wanted to Remain never made it to the starting post, Tories are definitely saying their poor EU form was just down to not leaving, they still have their heads in the sand.
UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:04 - Jun 11 with 1960 viewsBlueBadger

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:02 - Jun 11 by pickles110564

Hopefully we should know soon which direction Brexit (if at all) will take once we get down to the last two standing.
It seems though the only candidate that wanted to Remain never made it to the starting post, Tories are definitely saying their poor EU form was just down to not leaving, they still have their heads in the sand.

All the economic predictions are that Brexit, in whatever form it takes, will leave us worse off.

UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 13:08 - Jun 11 with 1947 viewsGuthrum

There, fixed it for you.

Also, how does that break down by sector, region and pay band?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 13:12 - Jun 11 with 1928 viewsBlueBadger

UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 13:08 - Jun 11 by Guthrum

There, fixed it for you.

Also, how does that break down by sector, region and pay band?

Now you've done it, I was on shaky ground painting the wider picture now you'll have definitely seen him off with an actual question asking him to show his workings.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 13:25]

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:15 - Jun 11 with 1920 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's one of the few good* news stories out there, although apparently one of the underlying reasons is that organisations are prioritising wages as investment nosedives relative to that in the EU.

https://on.ft.com/2MTUcdl

*not good for those women now being forced to work to 65 though, obviously

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:18 - Jun 11 with 1910 viewswkj

[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 13:18]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:22 - Jun 11 with 1894 viewsSikamikanico

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:15 - Jun 11 by Swansea_Blue

It's one of the few good* news stories out there, although apparently one of the underlying reasons is that organisations are prioritising wages as investment nosedives relative to that in the EU.

https://on.ft.com/2MTUcdl

*not good for those women now being forced to work to 65 though, obviously

I am surprised this "women working until 65" story is really getting that much attention.

I have not met any woman who was unaware of the rise and in fact most knew about it when it was announced.
UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:28 - Jun 11 with 1872 viewsfooters

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:02 - Jun 11 by BlueBadger

I also wonder how much of that rise is down to temporary, part-time and zero-hours working as well - it's notable the big growth was in women in employment, who tend to greatly over-represented in those forms of job.

Many UK businesses have been over-employing recently because of low wages and to increase productivity so they can stockpile ahead of departure. It's never quite what it seems.

That and we haven't actually left yet, of course.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:35 - Jun 11 with 1845 viewsWeWereZombies

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:22 - Jun 11 by Sikamikanico

I am surprised this "women working until 65" story is really getting that much attention.

I have not met any woman who was unaware of the rise and in fact most knew about it when it was announced.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48520176

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:40 - Jun 11 with 1822 viewsflimflam

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:35 - Jun 11 by WeWereZombies

"Women born in the 1950s claim the rise is unfair because they were not given enough time to make adjustments to cope with years without a state pension"

What years without a state pension? Carry on working until retirement the same as men have to.

Selective Equality.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:42 - Jun 11 with 1815 viewsSwansea_Blue

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:22 - Jun 11 by Sikamikanico

I imagine it's pretty galling for those who were looking forwards to retirement, only to find they have to do another 5 or 6 years.

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:45 - Jun 11 with 1808 viewsJ2BLUE

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:35 - Jun 11 by WeWereZombies

Only known since 1995 then. I hope it's thrown out of court.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:46 - Jun 11 with 1805 viewsSpruceMoose

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:45 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

There's that authoritarian streak you keep so well hidden!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:50 - Jun 11 with 1802 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ironically, given the European fascination these days, it was the ECHR that ruled the ages had to be equalised because the old arrangements were unfair to men. Feminism in action. BCWYWF.

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:56 - Jun 11 with 1790 viewsSikamikanico

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:50 - Jun 11 by Swansea_Blue

Ironically, given the European fascination these days, it was the ECHR that ruled the ages had to be equalised because the old arrangements were unfair to men. Feminism in action. BCWYWF.

Re the above, known since 1995. my mum should have retired at 63 and 5/8ths or something like that. Unfortunately she passed away before her 58th birthday.

Plenty of time to plan accordingly and its ridiculous this case is being heard at all.
UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:56 - Jun 11 with 1788 viewsfooters

Choo choo, it's J2's race to the bottom!

That's it, buh- give the old girls a kickin'!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 14:00 - Jun 11 with 1778 viewspickles110564

UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 13:12 - Jun 11 by BlueBadger

Now you've done it, I was on shaky ground painting the wider picture now you'll have definitely seen him off with an actual question asking him to show his workings.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 13:25]

It was from the BBC, I thought they were accurate with their findings?
UK wage growth faster than expected. on 14:00 - Jun 11 with 1776 viewsSwansea_Blue

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 13:56 - Jun 11 by Sikamikanico

Re the above, known since 1995. my mum should have retired at 63 and 5/8ths or something like that. Unfortunately she passed away before her 58th birthday.

Plenty of time to plan accordingly and its ridiculous this case is being heard at all.

The timescale was brought forward wasn't it. I think that's the issue.

Although the real issue here is why we're not adequately planning for retirement and the handling of pension funds, etc.

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 14:05 - Jun 11 with 1766 viewsSikamikanico

UK wage growth faster than expected. on 14:00 - Jun 11 by Swansea_Blue

The timescale was brought forward wasn't it. I think that's the issue.

Although the real issue here is why we're not adequately planning for retirement and the handling of pension funds, etc.

looked up my mum's new state pension age and was increased to over 65. admittedly I hadn't needed to check that age for her for the last 8 years.

I would say though that hers would be the same as a man born on the same day so I still don't have an issue with it. Life expectancies are longer.

Statistically, if you make it to 83 you are more likely to survive the next 7 years than not (IHT planning seminar tidbit for you)
UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 14:18 - Jun 11 with 1737 viewsBlueBadger

UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 14:00 - Jun 11 by pickles110564

Accurate, but not giving the wider picture.

UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 14:21 - Jun 11 with 1731 viewspickles110564

UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 14:18 - Jun 11 by BlueBadger

Accurate, but not giving the wider picture.

Why would they not? Seems strange to me.
UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 14:24 - Jun 11 with 1729 viewsGuthrum

UK wage inflation greater than expected. on 14:00 - Jun 11 by pickles110564

It's not that I'm doubting the accuracy of your top-line figure, more that I would be interested to know if a significant rise in one or more sectors, regions or pay bands has pushed up the overall average (as I suspect), or whether it is, indeed, a general rise.

Also, on my amendment to the title, it was rampant wage inflation (and demands for even greater increases) which got us into so much trouble in the late 1970s. Damages our international competitiveness when globally competing for manufacturing investment. Potentially leads to greater inflation in the shops, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024