Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA 20:50 - Jun 11 with 2994 viewsTrequartista

And VAR didn't overturn it!

Absolutely all over the shop.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 20:54 - Jun 11 with 2334 viewslowhouseblue

i would say two. var has just introduced a different sort of unfairness. not sure the net gain is real.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 20:57]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 20:56 - Jun 11 with 2324 viewsTrequartista

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 20:54 - Jun 11 by lowhouseblue

i would say two. var has just introduced a different sort of unfairness. not sure the net gain is real.

Yes on the first one the referee appeared to lose patience and restarted the game whilst it was still being analysed.

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 20:56 - Jun 11 with 2324 viewsJ2BLUE

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 20:54 - Jun 11 by lowhouseblue

Goal line technology = amazing
VAR for every little thing = total sh1te.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:11 - Jun 11 with 2276 viewsbahri

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 20:56 - Jun 11 by J2BLUE

Goal line technology = amazing
VAR for every little thing = total sh1te.

In a nutshell...spot on.

redandella

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:17 - Jun 11 with 2266 viewsvilanovablue

I'm a supporter of VAR and appreciate a lot of the current concern, worry and dislike. The thing which needs to be remembered is this a very new thing and there are plenty of flaws that need to be ironed out. Consistency is obviously lacking but will improve over time. The decision process will speed up as people properly understand how to use it and its use is better implemented. Ultimately if your team is the victim of a poor decision wouldn't you want to see the right one made? How many threads were on here last season about terrible refereeing?
So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:25 - Jun 11 with 2233 viewsbahri

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:17 - Jun 11 by vilanovablue

I'm a supporter of VAR and appreciate a lot of the current concern, worry and dislike. The thing which needs to be remembered is this a very new thing and there are plenty of flaws that need to be ironed out. Consistency is obviously lacking but will improve over time. The decision process will speed up as people properly understand how to use it and its use is better implemented. Ultimately if your team is the victim of a poor decision wouldn't you want to see the right one made? How many threads were on here last season about terrible refereeing?

The flaws should have been sorted before it was put to use.
How many times are they (office based referees) going to replay a decision to reach a decision? They've got to speed it up for it to creditable.

redandella

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:26 - Jun 11 with 2230 viewsgtsb

Controversial decisions in football are what makes the game great and has people talking in the pub on a Saturday night. Try and make every decision perfect and the game starts to die.
So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:29 - Jun 11 with 2224 viewsvilanovablue

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:25 - Jun 11 by bahri

How many times are they (office based referees) going to replay a decision to reach a decision? They've got to speed it up for it to creditable.

No plan however perfect survives contact with the enemy the flaws were always going to have to be worked out by using it, to think differently is a little naive unfortunately.
Login to get fewer ads

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:30 - Jun 11 with 2222 viewsGuthrum

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:25 - Jun 11 by bahri

Very difficult to do that. Unexpected situations will arise, or very marginal ones. What seems like a reasonable length of time on paper will feel far too long to fans dubious about its usefulness.

All systems (in any walk of life) need time to be refined once they are actually put into action.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:33 - Jun 11 with 2210 viewsvilanovablue

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:26 - Jun 11 by gtsb

Controversial decisions in football are what makes the game great and has people talking in the pub on a Saturday night. Try and make every decision perfect and the game starts to die.

Crap decisions don't make the game frustrating in my opinion especially when there are reasonable solutions. Lampard's goal in the 2010 world cup springs to mind and goal line technology has solved that. This 8s something else which will improve the game in the longer term.
So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:41 - Jun 11 with 2173 viewsjeera

Fortunately they're going to scrape this one anyway.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:43 - Jun 11 with 2169 viewsbahri

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:29 - Jun 11 by vilanovablue

No plan however perfect survives contact with the enemy the flaws were always going to have to be worked out by using it, to think differently is a little naive unfortunately.

Naïve maybe, but as far as I'm concerned it's spoiling the game. Don't like it and ill thought out.
Before, long we will have two referees ( one in each half) and they will give the decisions as instructed through their earpiece.

redandella

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:55 - Jun 11 with 2144 viewsvilanovablue

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:43 - Jun 11 by bahri

Naïve maybe, but as far as I'm concerned it's spoiling the game. Don't like it and ill thought out.
Before, long we will have two referees ( one in each half) and they will give the decisions as instructed through their earpiece.

I genuinely don't believe that we'll get to 2 refs for a moment. I understand people don't like it and get it but personally I think it is a good idea used properly which is what they are getting to grips with. I like the idea of the right decisions being made. I know I may be on my own with this.
So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:59 - Jun 11 with 2136 viewsTrequartista

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:41 - Jun 11 by jeera

Fortunately they're going to scrape this one anyway.

It was women against girls out there.

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:02 - Jun 11 with 2128 viewsTrequartista

Appreciate it can be fine-tuned and sped up, but there are flaws that can't be ironed out, primarily re-running subjective decisions and changing the fine balance of football. Bringing in something that suddenly increases penalties by say 30%, is equivalent to widening the goals.

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:10 - Jun 11 with 2109 viewssparks

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:02 - Jun 11 by Trequartista

Appreciate it can be fine-tuned and sped up, but there are flaws that can't be ironed out, primarily re-running subjective decisions and changing the fine balance of football. Bringing in something that suddenly increases penalties by say 30%, is equivalent to widening the goals.

The biggest issue currently is the utterly unecessary change to the perfectly adequate handball law, in reaction to idiots who couldnt understand it properly before.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:13 - Jun 11 with 2095 viewsvilanovablue

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:02 - Jun 11 by Trequartista

But if the game has laws they aren't subjective that's the point if the laws are better implemented its no bad thing. I also don't want to start throwing about numbers as it's really too early to say and meaningless.
So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:15 - Jun 11 with 2090 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:30 - Jun 11 by Guthrum

Very difficult to do that. Unexpected situations will arise, or very marginal ones. What seems like a reasonable length of time on paper will feel far too long to fans dubious about its usefulness.

All systems (in any walk of life) need time to be refined once they are actually put into action.

The biggest issue is that it should only be there to correct a clear and obvious error.

Instead it is being used to try to ensure every decision is perfect.

Clear and obvious errors should be much quicker to identify and correct than the current system is managing.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:22 - Jun 11 with 2075 viewsvilanovablue

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:15 - Jun 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

The biggest issue is that it should only be there to correct a clear and obvious error.

Clear and obvious errors should be much quicker to identify and correct than the current system is managing.

Which is what the current guidance says and I agree with. Your next point is what needs to be ironed out. Hence why I think it is a good idea.
So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:28 - Jun 11 with 2064 viewsTrequartista

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:13 - Jun 11 by vilanovablue

But if the game has laws they aren't subjective that's the point if the laws are better implemented its no bad thing. I also don't want to start throwing about numbers as it's really too early to say and meaningless.

Fouls and handballs in the penalty area are subjective decisions. What is the point in replacing a debateable decision with a delayed debateable decision.

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:35 - Jun 11 with 2055 viewsTrequartista

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:15 - Jun 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

That's because you can't define "clear and obvious". Where does "clear and obvious" begin and "fairly clear and obvious" end?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 22:37]

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 23:11 - Jun 11 with 2013 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 22:35 - Jun 11 by Trequartista

That's because you can't define "clear and obvious". Where does "clear and obvious" begin and "fairly clear and obvious" end?
[Post edited 11 Jun 2019 22:37]

It's along the lines of the LBW rule in cricket. The technology has an umpire's call option so there is some doubt and the decision remains whatever the umpire called in the first place.

So, for offside, if a player is clearly daylight beyond the last defender when the ball is played VAR kicks in. However, if it is several replays to establish the attacker's foot might possibly have been beyond it tough, the linesman made a call, live with it.

For a foul/red card/etc, if it is clear there was no contact or there was an elbow etc, call the referee over to have a look and check his call. If there was minimal contact and it is a debatable call, tough.

For the ball out of play, it has to have clearly been seen to be out (presumably where the officials had their view obstructed) none of this guessing from a poor camera angle like the pundits often do.

Maybe it should be a review system where the manager has to refer it to the 4th official and they only get 1 per match which is reset if proven correct.

I am sure it could be better than at present, although I take your point there will still be grey areas. I also take the point mistakes are part of the game and maybe we should accept that includes officials. Whatever the final outcome, it needs to be a system that is much quicker and employed fairly infrequently.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 08:24 - Jun 12 with 1915 viewsRadlett_blue

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 23:11 - Jun 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

It's along the lines of the LBW rule in cricket. The technology has an umpire's call option so there is some doubt and the decision remains whatever the umpire called in the first place.

So, for offside, if a player is clearly daylight beyond the last defender when the ball is played VAR kicks in. However, if it is several replays to establish the attacker's foot might possibly have been beyond it tough, the linesman made a call, live with it.

For a foul/red card/etc, if it is clear there was no contact or there was an elbow etc, call the referee over to have a look and check his call. If there was minimal contact and it is a debatable call, tough.

For the ball out of play, it has to have clearly been seen to be out (presumably where the officials had their view obstructed) none of this guessing from a poor camera angle like the pundits often do.

Maybe it should be a review system where the manager has to refer it to the 4th official and they only get 1 per match which is reset if proven correct.

I am sure it could be better than at present, although I take your point there will still be grey areas. I also take the point mistakes are part of the game and maybe we should accept that includes officials. Whatever the final outcome, it needs to be a system that is much quicker and employed fairly infrequently.

Your "off-side" idea won't work because then there will be the marginal call as to whether it's a close call so not over-ruled or not. Once we start checking off-sides, there will always be marginal calls and that's the whole problem with VAR.
The same for fouls/red cards - most of these are debatable.
Ball out of play - again, many of these will be marginal with TV footage indecisive.
It's already close to ruining the game IMO and its continued use will do so as its use, as in rugby, where they now seem to review every try, will only increase.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 08:53 - Jun 12 with 1893 viewsSouperJim

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 23:11 - Jun 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

This is an excellent post and I like the referee's call idea. VAR should only overturn decisions where there is no element of doubt, i.e. something was plainly missed or given incorrectly. For everything else, tiny margins etc, ping it back to the ref.

If they did that, and preferably worked a little quicker, it'd be fine. I'd also advocate a fixed amount of added time for VAR decisions, same as they give a fixed 30 seconds for a goal etc. Added time should never get into double digits.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 08:56 - Jun 12 with 1888 viewsBent_double

So tonight a clear penalty not given for USA on 21:30 - Jun 11 by Guthrum

We're constantly told that it works perfectly in the Bungesliga, with minimal delays, so why aren't the officials who do it there being asked how to implement it or even run it elsewhere?

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024