Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf 07:36 - Jun 13 with 19783 viewsSteve_M

Nothing confirmed yet.

https://www.apnews.com/2eab6e04422d48a99d6946c7e8d543d6

Still, I'm sure everyone can fit this to their existing prejudices.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 07:50 - Jun 13 with 5425 viewsfooters

Just in time for OPEC next week...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 08:08 - Jun 13 with 5382 viewsgiant_stow

Can't see this anywhere else on a quick Google - thanks M - beats my lame guardian links.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 08:10 - Jun 13 with 5377 viewsSteve_M

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 07:50 - Jun 13 by footers

Just in time for OPEC next week...

I note the emoji here but US shale gas has changed the oil market so much that the market just doesn't react to supply shocks as the popular imagination would suggest.

"Crude’s failure to sustain its start-of-year rally, despite myriad supply disruptions and threats that once would have had prices nudging $100 a barrel, has provided plenty of fodder for oil bears to argue that the market really has changed in the past half decade."

https://www.ft.com/content/0ab3c200-8c58-11e9-a24d-b42f641eca37

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 08:12 - Jun 13 with 5367 viewsfooters

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 08:10 - Jun 13 by Steve_M

I note the emoji here but US shale gas has changed the oil market so much that the market just doesn't react to supply shocks as the popular imagination would suggest.

"Crude’s failure to sustain its start-of-year rally, despite myriad supply disruptions and threats that once would have had prices nudging $100 a barrel, has provided plenty of fodder for oil bears to argue that the market really has changed in the past half decade."

https://www.ft.com/content/0ab3c200-8c58-11e9-a24d-b42f641eca37

Aye, doubt much will change re: prices come next week, probably just sustaining the cuts from last time round, as you say, in light of US shale production. Markets already pretty much priced in for that I think.

Still, something odd's happening out there...

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 08:25 - Jun 13 with 5344 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 08:12 - Jun 13 by footers

Aye, doubt much will change re: prices come next week, probably just sustaining the cuts from last time round, as you say, in light of US shale production. Markets already pretty much priced in for that I think.

Still, something odd's happening out there...

What is the current oil barrel price? Last time pertol/diesel cost this much I think it was about $140.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 08:34 - Jun 13 with 5327 viewsSteve_M

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 08:25 - Jun 13 by BanksterDebtSlave

What is the current oil barrel price? Last time pertol/diesel cost this much I think it was about $140.

Around $60 yesterday but generally within a range of $60-$75 this year. Don't forget that Brexit moved the USD/GBP rate significantly against the UK.

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 09:52 - Jun 13 with 5270 viewsWeWereZombies

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 08:08 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

Can't see this anywhere else on a quick Google - thanks M - beats my lame guardian links.

There is a report on Al Jazeera now, mentions that one of the tankers is carrying methanol - isn't that highly flammable (compared to the naphtha on the other tanker or crude oil)?

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/06/uk-maritime-group-warns-incident-gulf-oma

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 10:07 - Jun 13 with 5252 viewsGuthrum

Could be unmoored naval mines drifting into shipping lanes. Or even being deliberately sown in disputed waters unilaterally claimed as sovreign.

in the former case negligence/accident, in the latter a passive attack rather than active targeting (as would be the case with a missile strike).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 10:48 - Jun 13 with 5215 viewsNo9

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 08:34 - Jun 13 by Steve_M

Around $60 yesterday but generally within a range of $60-$75 this year. Don't forget that Brexit moved the USD/GBP rate significantly against the UK.

I agree that brexit has lowereed the £ V the $ but I don't see that accounts for the very high pump price ratio to the barrel price.
& there should have been some compensation in price due to Osborn cancelling Petroleum Revenue Tax (PRT)
The lack of competition in fueling stations in the UK hasn't helped & despite what they claim there is a form of cartel e.g. mcuh of the pump product in N.Sugffolk & Norfolk comes from the WW2 dump aside the A11 between Wymondham & Norwich where all fuel comes from the Isle of Dogs and goes to the filling station now matter what emblem that station displays.
Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 13:42 - Jun 13 with 5155 viewsGuthrum

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 10:07 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

Could be unmoored naval mines drifting into shipping lanes. Or even being deliberately sown in disputed waters unilaterally claimed as sovreign.

in the former case negligence/accident, in the latter a passive attack rather than active targeting (as would be the case with a missile strike).

Footage online seems to show a hit on or below the waterline, which would suggest a mine rather than a missile.

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 13:52 - Jun 13 with 5135 viewsgiant_stow

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 13:42 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

Footage online seems to show a hit on or below the waterline, which would suggest a mine rather than a missile.

Zombie's link mentioned a torpedo as a possibility while the CNN blog says a mine (like you suggest) or even a two shells (on one ship).

Wasn't this the plot of at least one Jame s Bond film? ie. ship gets sunk to start a war? Has anyone asked Specta what it was doing at the time in question?
[Post edited 13 Jun 2019 13:53]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 13:52 - Jun 13 with 5135 viewsNo9

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 10:07 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

Unknown mines are almost certianly not the cause, the route is well monitored due to the volume of traffic & the sensitivity of the cargo.

The Oil wharves were considered 'safe berth' by the insurers, that may well change now meaning at best costs will escalate.

The question is who has the most to gain from this?
Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:23 - Jun 13 with 5101 viewsGuthrum

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 13:52 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

Zombie's link mentioned a torpedo as a possibility while the CNN blog says a mine (like you suggest) or even a two shells (on one ship).

Wasn't this the plot of at least one Jame s Bond film? ie. ship gets sunk to start a war? Has anyone asked Specta what it was doing at the time in question?
[Post edited 13 Jun 2019 13:53]

A torpedo requires a launching vessel within feasible range. Depending upon age, may leave a trail on the surface.

Iran is the only country bordering the Gulf whose navy has submarines and the Revolutionary Guard have a couple of (surface) torpedo boats.

However, actively torpedoing a tanker would be sailing very close to an outright declaration of war.

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:28 - Jun 13 with 5095 viewsWeWereZombies

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:23 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

A torpedo requires a launching vessel within feasible range. Depending upon age, may leave a trail on the surface.

Iran is the only country bordering the Gulf whose navy has submarines and the Revolutionary Guard have a couple of (surface) torpedo boats.

However, actively torpedoing a tanker would be sailing very close to an outright declaration of war.

Limpet mines?

Also consider the possibility of dirty tricks, and accusations of dirty tricks when there have not been any, ad infinitum.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:29 - Jun 13 with 5093 viewsgiant_stow

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:23 - Jun 13 by Guthrum

interesting stuff, ta. something else i just read said the Japanese ship was hit *above* the waterline which would up the ante innit?

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:29 - Jun 13 with 5093 viewsGuthrum

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 13:52 - Jun 13 by No9

Unknown mines are almost certianly not the cause, the route is well monitored due to the volume of traffic & the sensitivity of the cargo.

The Oil wharves were considered 'safe berth' by the insurers, that may well change now meaning at best costs will escalate.

The question is who has the most to gain from this?

Mines can end up where they're not meant to be, if inadequately moored. Ships can end up in places they aren't supposed to be, especially when marine borders are unclear or disputed (as is the case in parts of the Gulf).

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:31 - Jun 13 with 5088 viewsgiant_stow

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:28 - Jun 13 by WeWereZombies

Limpet mines?

Also consider the possibility of dirty tricks, and accusations of dirty tricks when there have not been any, ad infinitum.

Zerohedge (i know) seems to be fingering the Saudis.

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:32 - Jun 13 with 5084 viewsSteve_M

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:31 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

See my comment in the OP.

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:33 - Jun 13 with 5078 viewsgiant_stow

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:32 - Jun 13 by Steve_M

See my comment in the OP.

fair dos. Their logic stands up though - why would Iran do this? Or anyone but the Saudis? genuine question btw...

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:33 - Jun 13 with 5076 viewsSamuelowen88

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:31 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

Poll: England v Wales Score

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:35 - Jun 13 with 5069 viewsSteve_M

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:33 - Jun 13 by giant_stow

fair dos. Their logic stands up though - why would Iran do this? Or anyone but the Saudis? genuine question btw...

That assumes that each state is a unified entity and there are no disparate groups with large amounts of military hardware in either.

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:35 - Jun 13 with 5067 viewsgiant_stow

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:33 - Jun 13 by Samuelowen88

Alright alright already, I know i shouldn't have mentioned that site!

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:36 - Jun 13 with 5065 viewsgiant_stow

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:35 - Jun 13 by Steve_M

That assumes that each state is a unified entity and there are no disparate groups with large amounts of military hardware in either.

Specta it is then

(sorry and thanks)

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:37 - Jun 13 with 5060 viewsOldsmoker

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:28 - Jun 13 by WeWereZombies

Limpet mines?

Dirty tricks?
Can't be an insurance scam as acts of war aren't usually covered.
Who would want to start a war with Iran and has plenty of subs patrolling the 7 seas?
Perhaps the country that says they will provide "protection" for all shipping by dispatching a large navy to the Gulf might give us a clue.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:38 - Jun 13 with 5054 viewsfooters

Iranian media claiming two tankers attacked in Gulf on 14:37 - Jun 13 by Oldsmoker

Dirty tricks?
Can't be an insurance scam as acts of war aren't usually covered.
Who would want to start a war with Iran and has plenty of subs patrolling the 7 seas?
Perhaps the country that says they will provide "protection" for all shipping by dispatching a large navy to the Gulf might give us a clue.

Maybe it just torpedoed itself?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024