Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garden advice request (GAR) 09:36 - Jun 14 with 916 viewsNthQldITFC

This place seems to have a few savvy gardeners, so here's a story and a question.

My greenhouse tomatoes (two different varieties) are all stunted/curled/twisted after about eighteen inches or so of good growth. This applies to leaves and stems, which look otherwise OK (nice colour, and lack of blotchiness etc).

A bit of of poke about on the RHS site strongly suggests that this is herbicide damage, and although I'm pretty sure there's not been anybody spraying that crap round here, I do have a mechanism for the contamination; I put a small amount of horsesh*t I had picked up on a bike ride into my compost in early spring.

Now I know that you should really leave manure for a year or so before you use it, but as it was such a small amount I took a chance. The fresh compost goes into cleaned fish boxes in the greenhouse (to isolate from any build of disease over the years). I guess that the initial growth was OK, until the expanding root system found the manure. Lesson learned.

Question: Has anyone had a similar thing and had the plants recover enough to set fruit? RHS suggests that the plants may recover with feeding (and mulching?) and that the fruit is safe to eat. I'm going to pick up a few potential replacement plants, but it may be a bit late to replant now, especially if there's a chance the affected plants might recover.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Garden advice request (GAR) on 14:11 - Jun 14 with 828 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I would be surprised if its the horse muck. Could be early stage of an aphid attack.
As you say they may recover....maybe retain a low side shoot to become a new leader, remove the old damaged stem and see if it suffers the same problem.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Garden advice request (GAR) on 14:47 - Jun 14 with 812 viewsBarcaBlue

I've had contaminated compost before and it caused the leaves to go yellow and die but although different symptoms I would say yours is contaminated horse muck. Search on aminopyralid and you'll find photos of what you've described

Depends how bad the contamination is but it's early enough to put new plants in and you can dig out the manure or plant them elsewhere. Those you have you could leave but I wouldn't personally, especially given you have time.
Garden advice request (GAR) on 16:25 - Jun 14 with 777 viewsNthQldITFC

Thanks peeps.

I've got a few new plants now, which I shall bring on in some intermediate pots, and give the originals a week to see if they make it. Unfortunately I'm very assiduous at chopping out side shoots, so I've nowt to cut back to really, but I might give it a go on a couple anyway, cos they'll probably throw another shoot out somewhere.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Garden advice request (GAR) on 18:40 - Jun 14 with 745 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Garden advice request (GAR) on 16:25 - Jun 14 by NthQldITFC

Thanks peeps.

I've got a few new plants now, which I shall bring on in some intermediate pots, and give the originals a week to see if they make it. Unfortunately I'm very assiduous at chopping out side shoots, so I've nowt to cut back to really, but I might give it a go on a couple anyway, cos they'll probably throw another shoot out somewhere.

Do you know what variety they are? If you can upload pictures to crafty gardeners facebook group there are some knowledgeable people on there.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024