Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Quick gardening question (pretty please) 12:53 - Jun 14 with 2627 viewsgiant_stow

I have a little newly bought cherry tree - if i put it in a large pot, will i have to water the sod all the time? And what compost - just any old stuff?

Sorry if this is obvious.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 12:58 - Jun 14 with 2604 viewsSuperblue95

You’ve only just bought it and already you’re calling it a sod. Bit harsh

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:04 - Jun 14 with 2587 viewsgiant_stow

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 12:58 - Jun 14 by Superblue95

You’ve only just bought it and already you’re calling it a sod. Bit harsh

Yeah maybe you're right. Sorry tree.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:13 - Jun 14 with 2587 viewsDubtractor

You will have to regularly water it, and feed it too, but unless it is a dwarf variety it will very quickly grow too big for a pot.

Use a decent quality multi purpose compost mixed with soil is my recommendation.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:19 - Jun 14 with 2570 viewschicoazul

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:13 - Jun 14 by Dubtractor

You will have to regularly water it, and feed it too, but unless it is a dwarf variety it will very quickly grow too big for a pot.

Use a decent quality multi purpose compost mixed with soil is my recommendation.

Yep. You need to water it at least twice a week this time of year, I have one. Watch out for leaf browning too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:31 - Jun 14 with 2551 viewsgiant_stow

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:19 - Jun 14 by chicoazul

Yep. You need to water it at least twice a week this time of year, I have one. Watch out for leaf browning too.

Thank you very much fellas, appreciated.

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:31 - Jun 14 with 2553 viewsRyorry

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:13 - Jun 14 by Dubtractor

Excellent answer, just to add that I'd put a handful of broken crocks at the bottom of the pot to aid drainage/prevent waterlogging. Could also add a bit of vermiculite to the compost mix, would probably mean less frequent watering required -

https://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Vermiculite_for_Gardening

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:44 - Jun 14 with 2526 viewsgiant_stow

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:31 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

Excellent answer, just to add that I'd put a handful of broken crocks at the bottom of the pot to aid drainage/prevent waterlogging. Could also add a bit of vermiculite to the compost mix, would probably mean less frequent watering required -

https://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Vermiculite_for_Gardening

Thank you mrs. I've checked the variety and its a 'Cherry Sunburst' which sounds like a made up name from B and Q where I bought it!

I'll get a big pot!

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:58 - Jun 14 with 2504 viewsRyorry

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:44 - Jun 14 by giant_stow

Thank you mrs. I've checked the variety and its a 'Cherry Sunburst' which sounds like a made up name from B and Q where I bought it!

I'll get a big pot!

You're welcome :) Did a quick search and found this - I hope yours s self-pollinating, otherwise you might need to get it a mate! (mind you, if yours is a Norfolk Cherry Sunburst, maybe not ...)

I'd certainly endorse the bit about placing the tub on a base with wheels - did this with two small fig trees in pots I have, one of which is in greenhouse - their weight means they'd be impoosible to move if not on the dollies.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/cherry/growing-cherries-in-a-pot.

Login to get fewer ads

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 14:06 - Jun 14 with 2488 viewsgiant_stow

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:58 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

You're welcome :) Did a quick search and found this - I hope yours s self-pollinating, otherwise you might need to get it a mate! (mind you, if yours is a Norfolk Cherry Sunburst, maybe not ...)

I'd certainly endorse the bit about placing the tub on a base with wheels - did this with two small fig trees in pots I have, one of which is in greenhouse - their weight means they'd be impoosible to move if not on the dollies.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/cherry/growing-cherries-in-a-pot.

You're very kind - thanks. I had no idea I was embarking on this kind of mission - thought I'd just bung it in there and forget about it - feels like I've taken on another child!

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 15:17 - Jun 14 with 2463 viewsbluejake78

I bought one last year from Aldi for £3.99. i wasn't expecting much.
I just popped it in the front lawn.
I've got 7 cherries on it...well 6 now as I have eaten one.
I just give it a sip of standard diluted tomorite.
Over the last few years I've also done a plum and an apple tree.
Google is your friend regarding pruning and fruit tree grease etc.
Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 16:16 - Jun 14 with 2437 viewsRyorry

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 14:06 - Jun 14 by giant_stow

You're very kind - thanks. I had no idea I was embarking on this kind of mission - thought I'd just bung it in there and forget about it - feels like I've taken on another child!

The plants you grow from young, esp seed, do kinda become your babies. (With great effort, I'm just managing to resist inserting a nfn joke here! )

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:25 - Jun 14 with 2399 viewsSwansea_Blue

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 13:58 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

Yes, highly recommended to place your shrubbery on Dolly. He moans a bit, but just ignore him.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:27 - Jun 14 with 2398 viewsSpruceMoose

How can I best murder aphids? My natural instinct is to use fire, but I think I have identified a flaw in that plan.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:32 - Jun 14 with 2395 viewsgiant_stow

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:27 - Jun 14 by SpruceMoose

How can I best murder aphids? My natural instinct is to use fire, but I think I have identified a flaw in that plan.

You need to borrow someone's pet ladybird.

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:34 - Jun 14 with 2392 viewsSwansea_Blue

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:32 - Jun 14 by giant_stow

Are ladyblokes as good? Asking for a friend.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:39 - Jun 14 with 2384 viewsSpruceMoose

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:32 - Jun 14 by giant_stow

Just one?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:49 - Jun 14 with 2373 viewsgiant_stow

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:39 - Jun 14 by SpruceMoose

Just one?

Ideally more, but a ladybird is quite an unusual pet, so you might struggle to find more than one.

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:51 - Jun 14 with 2371 viewsSpruceMoose

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:49 - Jun 14 by giant_stow

Ideally more, but a ladybird is quite an unusual pet, so you might struggle to find more than one.

Probably look into getting a rescue one.

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 18:11 - Jun 14 with 2353 viewsBinner

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:49 - Jun 14 by giant_stow

If you can't find enough ladybirds get yourself some wasps.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 18:20 - Jun 14 with 2346 viewsRyorry

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 17:27 - Jun 14 by SpruceMoose

"Let us spray"

Washing up liquid (I'm a cheapskate) or I think you can get special slaughter soap from garden centres. Then you need a spray puffer, either 1 or 2l, with which to dispel death

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 18:23 - Jun 14 with 2342 viewsSpruceMoose

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 18:20 - Jun 14 by Ryorry

"Let us spray"

Washing up liquid (I'm a cheapskate) or I think you can get special slaughter soap from garden centres. Then you need a spray puffer, either 1 or 2l, with which to dispel death

Cheap washing up liquid works for me! Also, I have a few praying mantis in my yard. If I relocate one of those bad boys will they go to town on them?

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 18:34 - Jun 14 with 2326 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pop your cherry wherever you like ullaa.....as long as the family don't object.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 07:59 - Jun 15 with 2217 viewsNo9

If you piut in a pot OK just ask the people who you got it from (presuming it was a nursery?)
If you put in the gound make sure it is a good distance from your house as the runners will go under and screw the foundations, even if you are in sandy soil it is a risk
Quick gardening question (pretty please) on 18:53 - Jun 16 with 2143 viewsMedwayTractor

If you are serious about your cherry crop, you should be aware of SWD. I rent an orchard tree from Rent a Cherry Tree (it does what it says on the tin) and have received this about SWD:

You should be aware of the very serious new invasive fruit pest in this country called Spotted Wing Drosophila (SWD).

This fruit fly has been spreading across Europe for a number of years now and has finally reached the UK in sufficient numbers to cause widespread devastation to a number of soft fruits, with cherries unfortunately being their preferred crop.

Please note that for the last 3 years we have been able to control this pest by following these guidelines and we had zero crop damage, so we now also know what we are doing works, but we must not get complacent.

If we just ignore this problem I can guarantee you that you will not pick any cherries that have not been attacked by this pest by picking time — that is how serious this issue is.

At picking time, don't throw onto the ground any cherries which might be otherwise discarded (bird pecked, mould, not perfect), but dispose of them separately. You must not throw any cherries at all onto the ground. You might, however simply use them for cooking, bottling, freezing, etc.

Any discarded cherries will provide a hotspot for fruit fly infestation and breeding within the orchard and provide the pest with the opportunity to attack the unpicked crop still on the trees. It will then also increase the local population making the problem worse, year on year..

Above all else, SWD favours softer over ripe fruit to breed in, therefore pick all the fruit before it becomes over-ripe. Leaving no over ripe fruit is the best way to prevent an infestation.

The farm controls SWD this way: Once a week, 3 weeks prior to each variety (the orchard includes 5 varieties) being ready for picking we spray an organic insecticide called Tracer http://uk.dowagro.com/products/tracer/ . This is a product that has been around for many years and is an organic product produced from fermentation. It is and has been used widely and routinely on raspberries and strawberries for many years. The active ingredient in Tracer is called Spinosad which is relatively fast acting. The pest insect dies within 1 to 2 days after contact. Spinosad does not persist in the environment - sunlight and soil microbes break it down into carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen so as you can see it really isn’t a product to have any concerns about. The final spray will be put on 7 days prior to the start of picking for each variety (as per the regulatory guidelines) to keep the cherries protected from SWD as they ripen.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024