Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Women's World Cup 14:28 - Jun 14 with 2321 viewsSE1blue

I've enjoyed most of the matches I've watched so far and the standard has improved significantly since I last watched women's football but the goalies...

The Scottish keeper didn't even jump for the goal she let in.

I'm amazed more teams don't just try 30+ yarders with the quality of keeping.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Women's World Cup on 14:33 - Jun 14 with 2300 viewsSuperblue95

Crap goalkeeping ey?

Dean Gerken just needs to throw on a wig and his next career move is sorted. He’ll fit right in

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Women's World Cup on 14:33 - Jun 14 with 2304 viewsvilanovablue

But the Scottish keeper also made some excellent saves which actually kept the score respectable going in to half time.
Women's World Cup on 14:34 - Jun 14 with 2297 viewsSE1blue

Women's World Cup on 14:33 - Jun 14 by vilanovablue

But the Scottish keeper also made some excellent saves which actually kept the score respectable going in to half time.

I'm talking about the game against Japan...

Women's World Cup on 14:35 - Jun 14 with 2292 viewsvilanovablue

Women's World Cup on 14:34 - Jun 14 by SE1blue

Apologies
Women's World Cup on 14:50 - Jun 14 with 2274 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The Thai goal keeper is 5 ft 5 in. What chance does she stand?

I think the GK position is the most difficult for the women's game. Of the current players, the women probably started playing football seriously in their teens. Most male goalkeepers have probably been throwing themselves onto the floor unnaturally since they were 6 or 7.

I don't think goalkeeping is a natural skill, and takes a lot of practice. It doesnt help when the goals are HUGE relatively speaking.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Women's World Cup on 14:52 - Jun 14 with 2268 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Women's World Cup on 14:34 - Jun 14 by SE1blue

It was literally in the middle of the goal, directly above her.

Not sure why she didnt jump, but it mayve been too high anyway.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Women's World Cup on 14:55 - Jun 14 with 2261 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

When you look at this goal, Im not sure what position the GK was trying to take up;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48628581

I think it will improve as the game matures and girls start playing at a younger age.

Smaller goals would help too!

Women's World Cup on 15:03 - Jun 14 with 2248 viewschristiand

Women's World Cup on 14:50 - Jun 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

The Thai goal keeper is 5 ft 5 in. What chance does she stand?

I think the GK position is the most difficult for the women's game. Of the current players, the women probably started playing football seriously in their teens. Most male goalkeepers have probably been throwing themselves onto the floor unnaturally since they were 6 or 7.

I don't think goalkeeping is a natural skill, and takes a lot of practice. It doesnt help when the goals are HUGE relatively speaking.

Appreciate this is my personal opinion in comparison to yours, but I do believe goalkeeping is a natural ability. Seen some youngsters recently make goalkeeping look very easy, as it just comes naturally to them, they react instinctively to different situations, positioning and movement mainly. That’s something that can’t be taught through repetition of training and coaching, it’s an instinct that’s in-built. Coaching can improve areas of weakness, but to be a decent keeper you’ve got to have something programmed into your DNA, it provides that solid foundation to work from.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 15:15]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

Women's World Cup on 15:09 - Jun 14 with 2236 viewsMeadowlark

I haven't watched any. Are you saying that I should?
I have never seriously watched women's football. Every time I have had glimpses of it in the past, it has been laughable in its quality and really not to be taken seriously.
I admit that I might be a bit of a dinosaur in this respect, so I'm willing to give it another try. But it had better be good!
Which match do you recommend I should I watch?
Women's World Cup on 15:15 - Jun 14 with 2222 viewsSE1blue

That said, she's just made a cracking save.

Women's World Cup on 15:21 - Jun 14 with 2202 viewsSE1blue

Women's World Cup on 15:09 - Jun 14 by Meadowlark

I haven't watched any. Are you saying that I should?
I have never seriously watched women's football. Every time I have had glimpses of it in the past, it has been laughable in its quality and really not to be taken seriously.
I admit that I might be a bit of a dinosaur in this respect, so I'm willing to give it another try. But it had better be good!
Which match do you recommend I should I watch?

I'm looking for work at the moment so I've probably been watching more than I should...

But yes, I would definitely check it out. If you can, watch England this afternoon (especially Parris on the wing) but the best teams I've seen so far have been Australia, Germany, Spain, Norway, France and USA.

The main improvements I've seen are the first touches (which used to be 50p feet) and interlinking play. Teams hold much better shapes now and pass and move.

Women's World Cup on 15:24 - Jun 14 with 2199 viewsSE1blue

Women's World Cup on 14:55 - Jun 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

When you look at this goal, Im not sure what position the GK was trying to take up;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48628581

I think it will improve as the game matures and girls start playing at a younger age.

Smaller goals would help too!

I think you're right.

You can clearly see the goalkeepers from inexperienced nations wandering too far out in certain situations or not being sure where to stand.

I don't know what to think about making the goals smaller. Part of me thinks yes, as women are smaller but then part of me says they'll improve as you have suggested so can cope with it.

Women's World Cup on 15:42 - Jun 14 with 2175 viewsMeadowlark

Women's World Cup on 15:21 - Jun 14 by SE1blue

I'm looking for work at the moment so I've probably been watching more than I should...

But yes, I would definitely check it out. If you can, watch England this afternoon (especially Parris on the wing) but the best teams I've seen so far have been Australia, Germany, Spain, Norway, France and USA.

The main improvements I've seen are the first touches (which used to be 50p feet) and interlinking play. Teams hold much better shapes now and pass and move.

Can't do this afternoon....England are playing cricket!
Women's World Cup on 15:45 - Jun 14 with 2164 viewsSE1blue

Women's World Cup on 15:42 - Jun 14 by Meadowlark

Can't do this afternoon....England are playing cricket!

Think the England game is on 8pm your time.

Scotland just scored a cracker!

Women's World Cup on 15:48 - Jun 14 with 2160 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Women's World Cup on 14:52 - Jun 14 by Marshalls_Mullet

It was literally in the middle of the goal, directly above her.

Not sure why she didnt jump, but it mayve been too high anyway.

Careful, a Guardian article last week, branded men who dared to criticise the quality of play at the World Cup as sexist.

Dodgy ground this one.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 15:48]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Women's World Cup on 15:52 - Jun 14 with 2150 viewsSE1blue

Women's World Cup on 15:48 - Jun 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Careful, a Guardian article last week, branded men who dared to criticise the quality of play at the World Cup as sexist.

Dodgy ground this one.

Oh jeez...

I'd be willing to provide evidence of comments about Dean Gerken in my defence.

Women's World Cup on 17:24 - Jun 14 with 2083 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Women's World Cup on 15:48 - Jun 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

Dodgy ground this one.

I'll take Milly Brights advice;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48628362

Good column.

It would be sexist to not have a view.
[Post edited 14 Jun 2019 17:25]

Women's World Cup on 14:44 - Jun 15 with 1912 viewsMeadowlark

OK. I've been watching NED v CMR for the last 20 minutes.
Is this a typical game? I'm not impressed and I will have to go back to the cricket.

Wait.

That was a good goal.

I'll give it until half time.

Ooh. Another goal. Perhaps I'll stick around......
Women's World Cup on 15:49 - Jun 15 with 1886 viewschristiand

Women's World Cup on 14:44 - Jun 15 by Meadowlark

OK. I've been watching NED v CMR for the last 20 minutes.
Is this a typical game? I'm not impressed and I will have to go back to the cricket.

Wait.

That was a good goal.

I'll give it until half time.

Ooh. Another goal. Perhaps I'll stick around......

When that game finishes, I’d flick back to the cricket pronto Sri Lanka are on the charge!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Women's World Cup on 16:57 - Jun 15 with 1855 viewsRyorry

Did you go on to watch Eng v Arg y'day eve & see the Argentinian keeper? She was superb, and kept England down to only 1 where it could have been 4 or 5.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Women's World Cup on 21:12 - Jun 15 with 1793 viewsBackToRussia

Women's World Cup on 16:57 - Jun 15 by Ryorry

Did you go on to watch Eng v Arg y'day eve & see the Argentinian keeper? She was superb, and kept England down to only 1 where it could have been 4 or 5.

An exception. Maybe it's a mental block.

It certainly ruins the spectacle when you can just tonk one in from wherever as long as you hit it above the keepers' head.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Women's World Cup on 23:28 - Jun 15 with 1743 viewsRyorry

Women's World Cup on 21:12 - Jun 15 by BackToRussia

An exception. Maybe it's a mental block.

It certainly ruins the spectacle when you can just tonk one in from wherever as long as you hit it above the keepers' head.

I think it's just lack of experience as others have suggested. Boys who feel a natural affinity with the position & who want to be keepers, have all their lives from toddlerhood upwards, esp if their fathers have played, to familiarise themselves with the width & height of the space behind them, to gauge distances from the D, 18 & 6 yard box lines etc.

It's a completely un-natural guessing game if you're new to it (speaking as one who occasionally goes in goal when needing a rest during walking football 7-9 a-side games - and that's with only 5-a-side size goals & no headers to worry about!).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024