Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is worrying 08:20 - Jun 15 with 2911 viewsHerbivore

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/14/homophobic-and-transphobic-hate-cr

Hate crime is on the rise overall but this is an alarmingly sharp increase for the LGBT community.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This is worrying on 08:28 - Jun 15 with 2387 viewstractorboy7777

This is why I will never feel comfortable walking down the street holding my boyfriends hand.

Poll: If ticket prices were the same in SBR upper and lower, where would you choose?

This is worrying on 08:41 - Jun 15 with 2353 viewsHerbivore

This is worrying on 08:28 - Jun 15 by tractorboy7777

This is why I will never feel comfortable walking down the street holding my boyfriends hand.

Sorry to hear that. You and your boyfriend should be able to express your love for each other without fear of harassment.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This is worrying on 08:59 - Jun 15 with 2327 viewsGlasgowBlue

We seem to be going backwards as a society the more we embrace extremes.

I think that it’s fair to look back on the late 90’s and early naughties as a golden age of tolerance when we were a far more united country in the centre ground.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2019 9:01]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is worrying on 09:10 - Jun 15 with 2300 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

This is worrying on 08:59 - Jun 15 by GlasgowBlue

I think that it’s fair to look back on the late 90’s and early naughties as a golden age of tolerance when we were a far more united country in the centre ground.

Is this the era when people had the illusion of wealth on the back of a credit bubble?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

This is worrying on 09:18 - Jun 15 with 2297 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is worrying on 09:10 - Jun 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

Is this the era when people had the illusion of wealth on the back of a credit bubble?

This is about tolerance and understanding, not the economy. We are regressing as a country and I believe that is due to us embracing extremes on both sides.

Iron Lion Zion

This is worrying on 09:23 - Jun 15 with 2280 viewsPinewoodblue

We have moved onto an era where minorities have a greater sense of entitlement,

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This is worrying on 09:24 - Jun 15 with 2273 viewsSomethingBlue

This is worrying on 09:23 - Jun 15 by Pinewoodblue

What are they not entitled to?

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

This is worrying on 09:26 - Jun 15 with 2270 viewslowhouseblue

exactly this. without shared values you get conflict. focusing culture on what makes people different without also showing what we have in common is dangerous.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

This is worrying on 09:36 - Jun 15 with 2253 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think they are very well accepted by the overwhelming majority of people.

Unfortunately those who don't accept them seem to be more vocal.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This is worrying on 09:36 - Jun 15 with 2246 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Could disagree more.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

This is worrying on 09:38 - Jun 15 with 2231 viewsGlasgowBlue

This is worrying on 09:36 - Jun 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

Could disagree more.

What leads you to conclude that?

Iron Lion Zion

This is worrying on 09:39 - Jun 15 with 2233 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is worrying on 09:18 - Jun 15 by GlasgowBlue

This is about tolerance and understanding, not the economy. We are regressing as a country and I believe that is due to us embracing extremes on both sides.

The 90's was an era when it was still a big deal for celebs etc to come out as gay and far less people were prepared to come out.

To look at it as golden age is bizarre.

...and a time when entire pubs were blown up with bombs due to homophobia.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2019 9:46]

This is worrying on 09:40 - Jun 15 with 2223 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is worrying on 09:38 - Jun 15 by GlasgowBlue

What leads you to conclude that?

I think we live in a very tolerant society in the main, but the intolerant section is becoming more vocal.

To suggest that society is going backwards is daft, we live in a far more inclusive society today.

This is worrying on 09:44 - Jun 15 with 2204 viewsPinewoodblue

This is worrying on 09:24 - Jun 15 by SomethingBlue

What are they not entitled to?

It should be sufficient to have differences respected.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

This is worrying on 09:45 - Jun 15 with 2202 viewslowhouseblue

This is worrying on 09:39 - Jun 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

The 90's was an era when it was still a big deal for celebs etc to come out as gay and far less people were prepared to come out.

To look at it as golden age is bizarre.

...and a time when entire pubs were blown up with bombs due to homophobia.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2019 9:46]

really? that's not how i remember the 90s. there's a tendency for people who want to champion the current status quo to present what went immediately before as backward and unrefined. people also want to present themselves as having overcome adversity so you have current celebs saying 'ee it were tough in the '90s'. but the 1990s and the turn of the century weren't that intolerant or un diverse.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

This is worrying on 09:47 - Jun 15 with 2187 viewsBLUEBEAT

Was in New York last week and what seemed to be the whole of Manhattan had embraced Pride wholeheartedly. Rainbow flags, banners, shops, posters were everywhere. All the major sports teams have brought out their own Pride merch too. The football AKA soccer match we attended was their pride night with lots of rainbow business going on.

Maybe NYC push Pride harder due to Stonewall (and the end of this month marks the 50th anniversary of the riots) but in comparison, London participation is not that noticeable.

Poll: W or W

This is worrying on 09:56 - Jun 15 with 2160 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is worrying on 09:45 - Jun 15 by lowhouseblue

really? that's not how i remember the 90s. there's a tendency for people who want to champion the current status quo to present what went immediately before as backward and unrefined. people also want to present themselves as having overcome adversity so you have current celebs saying 'ee it were tough in the '90s'. but the 1990s and the turn of the century weren't that intolerant or un diverse.

The 90's were great, and probably saw a growth in tolerance. However, I can't agree that it was a more tolerant place than we see now.

Big difference in the 90's... no social media to spread hate.

This is worrying on 09:59 - Jun 15 with 2155 viewsFtnfwest

Indeed, according to a guardian analysis
This is worrying on 10:02 - Jun 15 with 2144 viewslowhouseblue

This is worrying on 09:56 - Jun 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

The 90's were great, and probably saw a growth in tolerance. However, I can't agree that it was a more tolerant place than we see now.

Big difference in the 90's... no social media to spread hate.

absolutely, with social media you really get to see what was hiding under the rock.

This is worrying on 10:13 - Jun 15 with 2121 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is worrying on 09:47 - Jun 15 by BLUEBEAT

Was in New York last week and what seemed to be the whole of Manhattan had embraced Pride wholeheartedly. Rainbow flags, banners, shops, posters were everywhere. All the major sports teams have brought out their own Pride merch too. The football AKA soccer match we attended was their pride night with lots of rainbow business going on.

Maybe NYC push Pride harder due to Stonewall (and the end of this month marks the 50th anniversary of the riots) but in comparison, London participation is not that noticeable.

Could be that, or it could be that US marketing is more cynical.

The UK has massively embraced pride. Some of the corporates on LinkedIn etc seem to use it a bit cynically, and can be cringeworthy, but it's all support.

Let's not do ourselves down too much. I know it's fashionable to bash the UK, but I'm not into it.

This is worrying on 10:19 - Jun 15 with 2106 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

This is worrying on 09:18 - Jun 15 by GlasgowBlue

The 2 are linked.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

This is worrying on 10:26 - Jun 15 with 2091 viewsBlueBadger

Imagine expecting to be treated with the same level of basic decency as straight white people. Bastards.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This is worrying on 10:36 - Jun 15 with 2072 viewsBlueBadger

This is worrying on 09:36 - Jun 15 by Marshalls_Mullet

I think they are very well accepted by the overwhelming majority of people.

Unfortunately those who don't accept them seem to be more vocal.

Not just more vocal. More willing to act on their beliefs. Hate crimes of all kinds have been on the rising since the EU referendum. I'm sure it's pure coincidence that all that 'you could have a blue passport and no foreigners' talk coincided with a rise in white nationalists being ever more emboldened.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/white-extremists-far-right-terror-ar

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This is worrying on 10:39 - Jun 15 with 2055 viewsSpruceMoose

We have moved into an area where for a lot of knobheads equality feels like discrimination.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This is worrying on 10:43 - Jun 15 with 2044 viewsSpruceMoose

This is worrying on 09:47 - Jun 15 by BLUEBEAT

Shame you weren't able to be here for the parade tomorrow!

And for anyone with legitimate fears that Pride is being exploited for commercial reasons, just ask the business what they do for the LBTQ community the rest of the year. That singles out the businesses genuinely invested in the cause from the businesses just looking to exploit it.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024