Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Visiting Austria 18:41 - Jun 15 with 2200 viewspbishop1799

Was wondering if any of you have visited Austria?

Mrs and I are looking for a holiday there, but don't really know where to start.

Any ideas where to go/stay; best cities or resorts?

(We certainly won't be driving)

Chancing my arm a bit. Be grateful for and recommendations. Cheers
Visiting Austria on 18:48 - Jun 15 with 2192 viewsSarge

Been to Vienna and Salzburg

Vienna:
- Great ice cream, the best I’ve had anywhere. Special mention to the ice cream shop next to the church in the main square.
- Schönbrunn Palace, the Versailles of Austria. I didn’t go but probably worth checking out
- Military History museum. Great for military buffs with everything from the imperial period culminating in the quiet but moving exhibit around the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. The car, gun, and his clothes are on display with bullet holes and bloodstains still clearly visible.
- Prater amusement park. Contains I think the oldest operating Ferris wheel and some more modern day attractions.

Salzburg:
It’s great if you’re into the Sound of Music or Mozart but I’m not. I don’t recall doing much there aside from climbing to the top of the hill to get to the hostel. It’s got a really good beer hall which can be a bit difficult to find but worth it.
Visiting Austria on 19:20 - Jun 15 with 2143 viewsWeWereZombies

Visiting Austria on 18:48 - Jun 15 by Sarge

Vienna:
- Great ice cream, the best I’ve had anywhere. Special mention to the ice cream shop next to the church in the main square.
- Schönbrunn Palace, the Versailles of Austria. I didn’t go but probably worth checking out
- Military History museum. Great for military buffs with everything from the imperial period culminating in the quiet but moving exhibit around the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. The car, gun, and his clothes are on display with bullet holes and bloodstains still clearly visible.
- Prater amusement park. Contains I think the oldest operating Ferris wheel and some more modern day attractions.

Salzburg:
It’s great if you’re into the Sound of Music or Mozart but I’m not. I don’t recall doing much there aside from climbing to the top of the hill to get to the hostel. It’s got a really good beer hall which can be a bit difficult to find but worth it.

Close to Salzburg is Bad Ischl, where the Kaiservilla is situated. It was here in July 1914 that Emperor Franz Joseph signed a declaration of war against Serbia, one of the major acts that led to World War One. Parts of the house are open to the public. Also close to Salzburg is Hallstatt which is often cited as one of the earliest Proto-Celtic places and is UNESCO listed.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Visiting Austria on 19:25 - Jun 15 with 2135 viewsBrixtonBlue

If you want something a lot less touristy and more relaxing, Klagenfurt is nice and really close to the beautiful (and massive) Lake Wörthersee which you can explore on a bodyboard or pedalo.

The water in the lake is so good you can drink it!

Was no doubt better for me as I had my ex showing me around, and her family were from there so she knew the best places to go. We also hired bikes to get around, which was the best way to travel.

Could be a bit boring if the weather's carp, but there was nothing better than boating across the lake and stopping off at a secluded bar to sit with a pint in the sun. Heaven.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Visiting Austria on 20:41 - Jun 15 with 2072 viewsDeano69

Many years ago. Lovely country. Stayed in Seefeld. Recall going to a beautiful place on a little train type of thing to something like Archensee.

Dolomites are not far away.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Visiting Austria on 21:04 - Jun 15 with 2049 viewsBarcaBlue

Stayed in a mountain village just above Innsbruck a couple of years ago - real Sound of Music type feel - was superb and Innsbruck is well worth a visit. Spent an afternoon watching kids practising ski jumping on the Summer jumps - loved it.
Visiting Austria on 21:08 - Jun 15 with 2048 viewsChurchman

Vienna:

Salzburg:

Agree with this. Salzburg is pretty and also has a nice castle but I’ve only done a couple of stop overs there which was enough at the time (I was young). The Austrian alps are great though, winter or summer.
Visiting Austria on 21:49 - Jun 15 with 2006 viewsFixed_It

Vienna:

Salzburg:

Cheers. Daughter is off to Vienna tomorrow as it happens and have tipped her off about the icecream shop!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Visiting Austria on 22:21 - Jun 15 with 1983 viewsTractorWood

Salzburg is pleasant to stroll round but not a huge amount to do. Innsbruck is also a cool place set in the Alps. Graz is meant to be a cool place to go.

As others have said, the mountains are great. I'd go to Kitzbuhel or Mayrhofen and do some hiking.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Visiting Austria on 23:20 - Jun 15 with 1948 viewsJakeITFC

I’ve been to a few places, and echo peoples thoughts that the south in the mountains is very picturesque.

I’d recommend Vienna at Christmas time though. Beautiful city (albeit pricey) with a lot of history and culture. Some really nice restaurants to, can recommend some if you decide to visit. The coffee houses are a great place to go and have a sit down and ponder how much of European politics, art, sport and everything else had been discussed and invented within those walls.
Visiting Austria on 02:27 - Jun 16 with 1913 viewsSarge

Visiting Austria on 21:49 - Jun 15 by Fixed_It

Cheers. Daughter is off to Vienna tomorrow as it happens and have tipped her off about the icecream shop!

I can’t remember the name but it’s big and pink so should be pretty easy to find.

Tell her to try the local delicacy ‘Viennetta’. It’s a kind of ice cream in a slab interspersed with wafer thin slices of chocolate...
Visiting Austria on 02:50 - Jun 16 with 1909 viewsWacko

Vienna is quite possibly the most beautiful city in Europe. And while there you should check out the Austrian Jungle, Lobau: https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/green-vienna/lobau-jungle

It's amazing in the summer if you can avoid some pink old Austrian wieners...

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Visiting Austria on 09:32 - Jun 16 with 1817 viewsElephantintheRoom

Try the wine. Austrian wine is a no-go in most countries because of a little scandal with antifreeze a few years back - but that was an export scam. Austria, like switzerland makes some of the finest wines in the world. Take a waterpoof jacket would be my other advice. I regularly went to Aiustria when I worked and it usually rained.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Visiting Austria on 19:42 - Jun 16 with 1721 viewsChiefXL

If you're in Vienna a visit to a Wachau vinyard on the banks of the Danube is a must.

My BIL runs a tour operator, Vienna Explorer, that does all manner of nifty excursions.
Visiting Austria on 19:44 - Jun 16 with 1719 viewsChiefXL

And if you're there in late October it's goose season
Because of course they have a goose season.
Gumpoldskirchen is a charming village with a restaurants serving goose, dumplings and red cabbage. It's amazing.
Visiting Austria on 19:49 - Jun 16 with 1715 viewsChiefXL

Vienna:

Salzburg:

I think the ferris wheel you're referring to is the one featured in The Third Man.
For fans of the film you can also do a tour of the sewers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024