Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you buy a Huawei phone..... 08:30 - Jun 16 with 3645 viewsbobbyramsey

With the Google block on apps etc?

Must admit I'm confused about what might happen.

Can anybody throw any light on the subject (I like their cameras)
Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 08:58 - Jun 16 with 3602 viewsKeaneish

No. Terrible. Don't go near.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 09:03 - Jun 16 with 3592 viewsflimflam

Got one and blows any other phone out the water for camera, battery and price.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 09:42 - Jun 16 with 3555 viewsNo9

Wouldn't buy one anyway
Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 10:08 - Jun 16 with 3537 viewsNorthstaNder

Owned one, briefly. Good little phone but much prefer Googles own Pixel range. The camera is amazing.

Plus with the recent news I think it's best to be away from Huawei phones.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2019 10:09]
Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 10:15 - Jun 16 with 3526 viewswkj

I've never bothered with this brand mostly because they are running the same gig as Apple and SS essentially. Ridiculously expensive flagships, cheaper models as expensive as off brands flagships and works a lot less convincingly.

Im now using a sony xperia X1 which is a cheaper phone and does its job super well

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 10:16 - Jun 16 with 3521 viewsbobbyramsey

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 10:08 - Jun 16 by NorthstaNder

Owned one, briefly. Good little phone but much prefer Googles own Pixel range. The camera is amazing.

Plus with the recent news I think it's best to be away from Huawei phones.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2019 10:09]

Pixel would be my first choice but my supplier doesn't provide it and I can't be a$$ed to change numbers.
Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 10:16 - Jun 16 with 3517 viewsStokieBlue

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 09:03 - Jun 16 by flimflam

Got one and blows any other phone out the water for camera, battery and price.

I'm not sure it does for the camera and battery anymore. The latest Samsungs and the Google Pixel have equally good cameras.

It's not worth getting one if Google are going to be locked out - it's their ecosystem after all.

I suspect it'll not come to it on the long run though, agreements will be reached and owners will be fine.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 12:08 - Jun 16 with 3441 viewsCotton_eyed_joe

I had the choice of a S10 edge or P30 pro. After nearly 15yrs of Samsung I went with the P30 just because the camera got better reviews. After 3 months with it I am more than happy. My old S9s battery lasted less than 8hrs with fair amount of usage before a charge was needed and the P30 is lasting all day (3 hrs watching cricket included on sky go) and only takes 1hr to fully charge from nearly dead. The cameras have made my SLR redundant for everyday and macro closeups are actually better than my SLR and no need for a bag full of lenses.
I know there are issues ongoing with google Im still getting updates Also after reading a lot about it a deal should be done so hopefully no issues later on.
Login to get fewer ads

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 12:13 - Jun 16 with 3432 viewsvilanovablue

From what I've read phones launched and out there will continue to get security patches but not operating system upgrades. I also suspect that as the third most sold phones globally something will be resolved as it is commercially in Google's interest to have Huawei on board.

As an aside I use a Xiaomi Mi 9 which was £400 quid and has flagship level specs, 3 cameras and a lovely screen.
Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 22:15 - Jun 16 with 3219 viewsGeoffSentence

If it is just the lack of google apps I would guess that you could sideload them after. Did this on my Kindle Fire.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 22:32 - Jun 16 with 3208 viewsvilanovablue

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 22:15 - Jun 16 by GeoffSentence

If it is just the lack of google apps I would guess that you could sideload them after. Did this on my Kindle Fire.

If it comes to pass they won't have access to Android full stop so that won't be an option.
Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 20:40 - Jun 17 with 3002 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 09:54 - Jun 18 with 2905 viewsGeoffSentence

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 22:32 - Jun 16 by vilanovablue

If it comes to pass they won't have access to Android full stop so that won't be an option.

It already has come to pass, Google have withdrawn their license from Huawei. That does not mean that they do not have access to Android full stop, they can still use open source Android. What that would mean in terms of sideloading the google services I am not sure, but since Google use it themselves for development purposes I would guess that it would work.

Edit: It definitely is possible to sideload google services on AOSP but looks like a bit of a faff.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2019 9:55]

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 09:57 - Jun 18 with 2892 viewsStokieBlue

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 09:54 - Jun 18 by GeoffSentence

It already has come to pass, Google have withdrawn their license from Huawei. That does not mean that they do not have access to Android full stop, they can still use open source Android. What that would mean in terms of sideloading the google services I am not sure, but since Google use it themselves for development purposes I would guess that it would work.

Edit: It definitely is possible to sideload google services on AOSP but looks like a bit of a faff.

It's really starting to hit them as well - handset sales down 40%.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 09:59 - Jun 18 with 2884 viewsGeoffSentence

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 09:57 - Jun 18 by StokieBlue

It's really starting to hit them as well - handset sales down 40%.

SB

Amazingly though, and I am sure I heard this right on the radio yesterday, despite those plummeting sales they still expect to sell $100bn worth of handsets this year.

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 10:10 - Jun 18 with 2872 viewsuefacup81

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 09:59 - Jun 18 by GeoffSentence

Amazingly though, and I am sure I heard this right on the radio yesterday, despite those plummeting sales they still expect to sell $100bn worth of handsets this year.

Thing is, I would imagine there are a lot of people out there getting bad advice at the moment.

I've popped into Carphone Warehouse a couple of times since this became a thing, and it seems like the Huawei reps are now on permanent secondment to their stores. I asked about what the whole issue could mean, and was told that it was all just a load of rubbish. It took a lot of pressing for an answer until someone was willing to tell me the truth of the situation, under the watchful gaze of the company man...

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 10:43 - Jun 18 with 2847 viewsflimflam

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 10:16 - Jun 16 by StokieBlue

I'm not sure it does for the camera and battery anymore. The latest Samsungs and the Google Pixel have equally good cameras.

It's not worth getting one if Google are going to be locked out - it's their ecosystem after all.

I suspect it'll not come to it on the long run though, agreements will be reached and owners will be fine.

SB

You may well be right now but was the case 6 months ago.

But on price and battery they still win hands down.

My battery will go pretty much 48 hours in constant use and then takes literally 30 minutes to recharge fully.
And the contract I have is 18 months and just £30 for unlimited everything. Not sure you would get latest Google or Samsung for anything less then £50 on the same deal over 24 months.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 15:09 - Jun 18 with 2760 viewsActionMan

I am no phone nerd but was recently given one for free by EE as part of keeping me a customer on a new contract and it's probably the best phone I have ever owned to be honest.
Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 16:11 - Jun 18 with 2709 viewsbobbyramsey

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 09:54 - Jun 18 by GeoffSentence

Excuse my ignorance but if the worst came to the worst just how would these phones operate, or wouldn't they? Would they just go "dead" one night?
Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 16:22 - Jun 18 with 2695 viewsGeoffSentence

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 16:11 - Jun 18 by bobbyramsey

Excuse my ignorance but if the worst came to the worst just how would these phones operate, or wouldn't they? Would they just go "dead" one night?

Reduced functionality is the issue. Without google services you won't be able to install apps from google play, google location services and contacts sync won't work.

I would imagine that any existing devices will be fine, although I have no idea if they would recieve updates. New devices will be built with the open source version of Android which won't include the Google Services. Not all Android devices have them now anyway, Kindle Fire for instance comes without them, but the app store they have instead of google play is a bit rubbish.

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 17:11 - Jun 18 with 2663 viewsCotton_eyed_joe

Would you buy a Huawei phone..... on 16:11 - Jun 18 by bobbyramsey

Having already got mine before the google issues came about I looked into this. Any current Huawei phone will still be able to use google play store to download apps, those apps will still update. The only things that wont update are the Android operating system and google apps, so no security updates on android or new operating system.
All new Huawei phones will have to have a different op system or open source Android system.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024