Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seeing a bit of the world ideas. 10:25 - Jun 16 with 7011 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Junios Slave is 2 years away from GCSE's followed by a long empty Summer which may well be the last chance for some quality family time together. (and the first opportunity time wise) Where would people suggest going as a family for about 4 weeks of travels to really see something of the world rather than only beaches. At the moment she still seems to like us so this is all assuming that is still the case then!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 08:12 - Jun 17 with 1649 viewsTIB

The West side of South America could be good for four weeks? Start in Bolivia and do Uyuni Salt flats, up onto the Inca Trail then a bit of nature on Galapagos and on through Colombia and into Panama and Costa Rica for cloud forests.

Certainly sounds like you'll make some great memories Slave Snr. Give Trail Finders a look...me and the wife used them for a trip to Singapore / Malaysia recently and were really impressed. They offer every time of holiday and can totally customise trips for you without the pricey going through the roof!!!
[Post edited 17 Jun 2019 8:17]

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 09:49 - Jun 17 with 1622 viewsWeWereZombies

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 05:46 - Jun 17 by caught-in-limbo

One of those places where the flights are pricey but the accommodation and living are cheap, so it makes sense to go for as long as possible.

Something here for the whole family. Trip of a lifetime.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/madagascar
https://www.thetravelmagazine.net/best-time-to-visit-madagascar.html

Madagascar is remarkable but, outside the tourist areas, a bit unstable most of the time now. I did get to see lemurs in the wild (only heard the Aye-Aye though) as well as crocs, chameleons, jumping rat and so on. This was back in 2005 and by all accounts the country is getting even more scraped out now than it was back then. All sorts of insights though, after a very patchwork and patched up trip by dug-out canoe and then by Land Cruiser we got lumbered with going back to Antananarivo by minibus on dirt roads for sixteen hours non-stop. We passed an open prison along the way and I remarked to the local who had come along for the ride that I surprised to see that. He remarked that was where the politicians who fell foul of those in power went and I said 'Oh yeah, they get a few months and then get let out despite the tax frauds', he said 'No, they die'.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 10:20 - Jun 17 with 1609 viewsWeWereZombies

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 23:25 - Jun 16 by StokieBlue

I wouldn't worry too much. I did the rainy season in both and saw virtually no rain. It'll be hugely cheaper as well.

That is of course ancedotal evidence and I may have just got very lucky.

SB

I did Thailand and Cambodia in late June 2005, saw a fair bit of rain but that is part of the experience I guess. To see a street fill up with three inches of water in minutes is quite something. And the cafe we took refuge in had just started playing Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' album, and continued to play it in its entirety. And to skin that has been tempered by rain that has had a climatic journey from the Baltic the rain in South East Asia is like bathwater.

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 10:25 - Jun 17 with 1606 viewscaught-in-limbo

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 09:49 - Jun 17 by WeWereZombies

Madagascar is remarkable but, outside the tourist areas, a bit unstable most of the time now. I did get to see lemurs in the wild (only heard the Aye-Aye though) as well as crocs, chameleons, jumping rat and so on. This was back in 2005 and by all accounts the country is getting even more scraped out now than it was back then. All sorts of insights though, after a very patchwork and patched up trip by dug-out canoe and then by Land Cruiser we got lumbered with going back to Antananarivo by minibus on dirt roads for sixteen hours non-stop. We passed an open prison along the way and I remarked to the local who had come along for the ride that I surprised to see that. He remarked that was where the politicians who fell foul of those in power went and I said 'Oh yeah, they get a few months and then get let out despite the tax frauds', he said 'No, they die'.

Nice anecdotes: seem to fit the Slave's brief perfectly.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 10:40 - Jun 17 with 1598 viewsWeWereZombies

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 10:25 - Jun 17 by caught-in-limbo

Nice anecdotes: seem to fit the Slave's brief perfectly.

Thanks, I can throw in the one about going to a restaurant in 'Tana' one evening which had a keyboards and bass guitar duo providing the entertainment and halfway through they swapped instruments and completed the set as a bass guitar and keyboards duo. We had walked there I think but took a taxi back (after dark, bit drunk, unfamiliar city and we had been told to get a taxi), passing a large circular fountain which was surrounded by hundreds of sleeping bodies all spooned together for warmth. Capital cities often attract the homeless and jobless seeking somewhere to improve their lot without success but I do not think I have, before or since, seen it illustrated so graphically.

Also the only place in the World (and on that minibus trip) where I have seen a lone walker with a stick over his shoulder with what could have been all his worldly possessions tied up in a small cloth bundle tied to the other end Dick Whittington style.

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 10:50 - Jun 17 with 1593 viewscaught-in-limbo

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 10:40 - Jun 17 by WeWereZombies

Thanks, I can throw in the one about going to a restaurant in 'Tana' one evening which had a keyboards and bass guitar duo providing the entertainment and halfway through they swapped instruments and completed the set as a bass guitar and keyboards duo. We had walked there I think but took a taxi back (after dark, bit drunk, unfamiliar city and we had been told to get a taxi), passing a large circular fountain which was surrounded by hundreds of sleeping bodies all spooned together for warmth. Capital cities often attract the homeless and jobless seeking somewhere to improve their lot without success but I do not think I have, before or since, seen it illustrated so graphically.

Also the only place in the World (and on that minibus trip) where I have seen a lone walker with a stick over his shoulder with what could have been all his worldly possessions tied up in a small cloth bundle tied to the other end Dick Whittington style.

Madagascar, it seems, has everything.

I'll be going there in the next 2 or 3 years - that's for sure.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 11:04 - Jun 17 with 1579 viewsWeWereZombies

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 10:50 - Jun 17 by caught-in-limbo

Madagascar, it seems, has everything.

I'll be going there in the next 2 or 3 years - that's for sure.

When I went it was because Air France suddenly had a, relatively, cheap flight deal so watch out for that. And nice to go on an airline that, despite American pressure, at that time gave you metal cutlery with your meal.

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 11:20 - Jun 17 with 1574 viewskeebsdad

After last night's Top Gear i would say Ethiopia, it looked stunning.
Login to get fewer ads

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 11:44 - Jun 17 with 1561 viewsWeWereZombies

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 11:20 - Jun 17 by keebsdad

After last night's Top Gear i would say Ethiopia, it looked stunning.

Have not seen it but did travel Kenya and Ethiopia four years ago, another remarkable pair of countries but, Ethiopia especially, rough travel. Lalibela and Gondar were magnificent and a Sunday morning service in the sunken churches, even for a lapsed Christian, is overwhelming. The tribes in the Omo valley can be difficult to make contact with so you need a good fixer (anyone interested in going PM me and I can give you a contact) but it is a real 'Bruce Parry' experience and hiking in the Simien mountains is strenuous but rewarding.

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 11:53 - Jun 17 with 1552 viewsStokieBlue

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 10:20 - Jun 17 by WeWereZombies

I did Thailand and Cambodia in late June 2005, saw a fair bit of rain but that is part of the experience I guess. To see a street fill up with three inches of water in minutes is quite something. And the cafe we took refuge in had just started playing Jeff Buckley's 'Grace' album, and continued to play it in its entirety. And to skin that has been tempered by rain that has had a climatic journey from the Baltic the rain in South East Asia is like bathwater.

That happened once in the week we were there. When it rains it's epic but it didn't seem to be a constant thing.

As I said, totally anecdotal though.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 12:55 - Jun 17 with 1528 viewsbluelagos

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 23:25 - Jun 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

Thanks bl...totally agreec bout the character building and eye opening plus hopefully some lifetime memories for all of us. Just need to find somewhere out of winter/rainy/hurricane season now during July/August which is suitably mind boggling! Plenty of food for thought so far so thanks all.

So July / August is winter in Southern Hemisphere which would rule out a few places I guess. But the tropics, anywhere in Africa wouodnt be an issue. In fact, probably a nice time for Eastern or Southern Africa as the rains are north of Equstor then.

Madagasgar sounds intriguing (cheers whoever posted) and you could also do Mozambique and Malawi. Both really interesting, peaceful and way easier than West Africa for tourism. I used to drive round Malawi something I'd never do in Nigeria.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 14:40 - Jun 17 with 1508 viewsLesta_Tractor

Driving a camper van around NZ or backpacking with a JR pass in Japan for me

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 15:29 - Jun 17 with 1498 viewscaptainfantastic

Vietnam north to south. Cheap, great history, food, sites and most importantly people.

Poll: player of the season so far?

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 18:56 - Jun 17 with 1467 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 11:44 - Jun 17 by WeWereZombies

Have not seen it but did travel Kenya and Ethiopia four years ago, another remarkable pair of countries but, Ethiopia especially, rough travel. Lalibela and Gondar were magnificent and a Sunday morning service in the sunken churches, even for a lapsed Christian, is overwhelming. The tribes in the Omo valley can be difficult to make contact with so you need a good fixer (anyone interested in going PM me and I can give you a contact) but it is a real 'Bruce Parry' experience and hiking in the Simien mountains is strenuous but rewarding.

Zombers you're either Michael Palin or a retired civil servant.....keep the travel anecdotes coming!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 18:58 - Jun 17 with 1465 viewsfooters

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 18:56 - Jun 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Zombers you're either Michael Palin or a retired civil servant.....keep the travel anecdotes coming!

Lovely jacket, Zombers!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 19:12 - Jun 17 with 1454 viewsWeWereZombies

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 18:58 - Jun 17 by footers

Lovely jacket, Zombers!

Far too late, Ryorry made this (wrongful) assertion some months ago. Now, if you do not mind, I need to work on my comeback album which shows me returning to garage, opening track 'Has anyone seen the key to the padlock?'

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 16:05 - Jun 23 with 1366 viewsWeWereZombies

Seeing a bit of the world ideas. on 11:44 - Jun 17 by WeWereZombies

Actually it might be a good idea to hold off on Ethiopia for the moment, at the very least do check the FCO travel advice before you go:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-48734572

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ethiopia

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024